PDA

View Full Version : Tired of injuries? Learn from another nation!

haroldthebarrel
12-08-2008, 09:28 AM
As some of you know, Norway has been totally dominant in almost all winter sports for the last 20 years.
This happened after ten years of drought in the 80s, where our arch nemesis the swedes was winning. We were chosen to hold the 1994 Winter Olympics in Lillehammer, where we dominated. But how did we manage to do that?

A large part of that is the development of the "Olympiatoppen"(Olympic Top) which was founded to use scientific methods to develop our athletes.
http://www.olympiatoppen.no/page943.html (Norwegian)

Let me give you some examples of what was developed.
I am sorry I cant give you an image, but I can repeat what was done.
A machine was developed to help train the legs. I cannot give you an image of this but it was a machine that simulated the exercise where you have a weight on your shoulders and bend down and up.
the genious of this machine was that it gave you less resistance when you stand up, and more resistance as you bend down.

Another method that help against injuries and prevent them is the Redcord trainer.
People like the alpinist Kjetil-Andre Åmodt used it to come back after many injuries and his career ended with yet another olympic gold medal.

It looks like this.

http://www.teida.lt/images/adm_source/18500_didelis.jpg

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.teida.lt/images/adm_source/18500_didelis.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.teida.lt/print.php%3Flng%3Dlt%26content%3Dpages%26page_id%3 D3%26pcat_id%3D144&usg=__RlcSV0divyMzybnEGIf_R47vdTg=&h=431&w=300&sz=44&hl=en&start=2&um=1&tbnid=EnmcSAt66OBsqM:&tbnh=126&tbnw=88&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dredcord%2Btrainer%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den% 26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN

Almost every single one of our top athletes use this to help coming back from injuries but more importantly PREVENT INJURIES

If anybody is interested i can try to help you with information.

We have also spent a ton on research on food and correct eating.
That has resulted in results comparable to people on steroids.
One famous athletic trainer said once. Give me one athlete who trains two times a day and eat perfectly and he will outclass a guy on steroids who trains every day each time.

And finally most of our top athletes uses psychologists to help with their focus. I can mention the Ole Einar Bjørndalen(biathon), Åmodt and almost all others. Why do they do so? Because it is a matter of focusing and resetting your focus! And so far it has worked.
That is why we say "our best game is the one we have yet to play"!

So why did I make this thread.
1. I am tired of injuries and especially the fact that we have a lot of pulled ligaments.
2. I have read enough that this redcord trainer apparatus can help with it.
3. If there is a single drop in the ocean that anyone working for the Broncos reading this thread, this idea might have a shot at helping.
4. If I was the GM for the Broncos I would try to look around the world, and not in the little micro cosmos that is the NFL to find methods and ideas to improve and take it to the next level.
5. Think about it. The eastern European nations along with Greece and Turkey are dominant in weightlifting, Strongman competitions and other strength exercises that values true effective strength. Look to them if you want to reach the next level. Stop looking where you already have been looking for years. Expand your horizons!

BroncoJoe
12-08-2008, 09:37 AM
Please send this to Mike Shanahan.

tia.

haroldthebarrel
12-08-2008, 09:55 AM
Please send this to Mike Shanahan.

tia.

I might. But so far I dont have the time, and I would need help with the english.
Besides, shanahan nor the staff dont have the time for this now, and they shouldnt either. Their focus should be on the next game.

Perhaps in the offseason I might make an article and send it to the Broncos, but I might need some help with that.

LRtagger
12-08-2008, 10:10 AM
The biggest problem is how soft we are in camp and practice. Yea, you can streatch all you want, but when you go half-assed for 4 days and then are expected to go 100% after that, you are bound to have injuries.

We havent had nearly as many injuries when we started practicing with pads. Not to mention our defense has played better.

Either way, we need to figure out something different. I would hate to miss our opportunity at building a dynasty because we cant keep our budding superstars healthy.

haroldthebarrel
12-08-2008, 10:27 AM
The biggest problem is how soft we are in camp and practice. Yea, you can streatch all you want, but when you go half-assed for 4 days and then are expected to go 100% after that, you are bound to have injuries.

We havent had nearly as many injuries when we started practicing with pads. Not to mention our defense has played better.

Either way, we need to figure out something different. I would hate to miss our opportunity at building a dynasty because we cant keep our budding superstars healthy.

Exactly. A lot of peple say that injuries are part of the game and it is.
However you can do something to prevent them. Or at least try to change your own destiny.

I think you hit the nail on the full pad practises though. At least you accustom your body to play with contact.
And it doesnt matter a bit how fast you can read or play without pads.
All that is important is how fast you can do this in real time with pads on.

I hope Shanahan learned from this experiment. Play and practice with your pads on, but try to prevent injuries with physiotherapy and methods so that all your practices are as real as possible.

Zweems56
12-08-2008, 10:53 AM
I agree 99.9% Injuries like Peyton's being that .1% That was nasty man. strange way to land. His head was destined for the ground, and his leg hyperextended so bad that it completely stopped his downward momentum and shot him back up.

Italianmobstr7
12-08-2008, 12:08 PM

We haven't been soft in practice! We've been wearing pads and hitting. Shanahan said it himself. They've been doing that to help with stopping the run, and it's been working for the most part. There's no more soft practices with shorts and helmets. They're wearing pads and hitting in practice. Ever since they started doing it, the D has played much better.

haroldthebarrel
12-08-2008, 12:12 PM
We haven't been soft in practice! We've been wearing pads and hitting. Shanahan said it himself. They've been doing that to help with stopping the run, and it's been working for the most part. There's no more soft practices with shorts and helmets. They're wearing pads and hitting in practice. Ever since they started doing it, the D has played much better.

But will we play with pads and full/semi contact next season or will we still play without pads.

That is the question. Will we learn from this experiment and build upon it, or will we go back to what we have done for the majority of his time in Denver?

We know one thing, we are a helluva lot tougher on defense then we used to be. So I for one hope that we will practice in pads the rest of Shanahans tenure here!