PDA

View Full Version : Peyton Hillis out 4-6 weeks (around a month) -- 850 Fan, Shanny Presser.

Requiem / The Dagda
12-07-2008, 07:16 PM
According to a post on the Mane (and a few other posters who heard the pres conference), Mike Shanahan on 850 the Fan said Hillis could be out 4-6 weeks. Wow. :(

DenBronx
12-07-2008, 07:20 PM
:tsk:

when does it end???

can we ever catch a break? now we have to head into the playoffs with tatum as a full time rb?

G_Money
12-07-2008, 07:20 PM
To pull from the Gameday thread...

When they said it was a hamstring, I was afraid of that.

And this is why I want another great back to pair with Hillis, so my stretch run next year isn't hoping Young or Bell can carry the rock for us.

Hillis is a monster. Nobody is afraid of Young or Bell, and they aren't wearing down opposing defenses into the 4th quarter either. Hillis had at least 4 Jets have to leave the field after running into him, and he was popping the Chiefs hard too.

We need another back to pair with Hillis. A good back.

~G

Northman
12-07-2008, 07:21 PM
We are cursed at the RB position.

DenBronx
12-07-2008, 07:21 PM
what about hillis brother? he looks like a twin clone.

shank
12-07-2008, 07:22 PM
pope looked good in teh chances he got, but we'll still need another body brought in.

does boyd get promoted? or do we go get someone off the streets (who? there's no one left!).

hopefully we don't rush selvin back because of this, i want him to be at 100% in the playoffs.

G_Money
So does his sister, unfortunately for her.

~G

MOtorboat
Shaun Alexander is a free agent.

LordTrychon
12-07-2008, 07:23 PM
This was Shanny saying he thought it was probably X injury which in his experience is usually takes a player out for X amount of time. Far from official...

But probably on the money or close.

The one bad thing that we really almost can't afford...

topscribe
12-07-2008, 07:24 PM
I heard Shanny's presser, and he said he thought it was a hammy. He said he
could not be sure until the MRI results come back, but he "wasn't pleased" to
see how Hillis walked into the locker room.

-----

DenBronx
12-07-2008, 07:25 PM
man we really need hillis for the playoffs. we're not getting by teams like indy, balt or pitt without him.

AlWilsonizKING
12-07-2008, 07:25 PM
We are cursed at the RB position.

It all started with that damn Griese interception.....:mad:

PEACE!!!

BeefStew25
12-07-2008, 07:26 PM
So Alexander or Dookie Davenport....

girler
12-07-2008, 07:32 PM
pope looked good in teh chances he got, but we'll still need another body brought in.

does boyd get promoted? or do we go get someone off the streets (who? there's no one left!).

hopefully we don't rush selvin back because of this, i want him to be at 100% in the playoffs.

I hear the Juice is available... oh wait. Nevermind. :D

dogfish
12-07-2008, 07:34 PM
we're screwed. . . . :frusty:

Tned
12-07-2008, 07:34 PM
Hopefully Hillis will be back for week one of the playoffs.

AlWilsonizKING
12-07-2008, 07:35 PM

Just blame it on Griese

PEACE!!!

nj10
I'm a free agent. I'll sign up...get hurt after two weeks and someone else can take over...Tned maybe?

girler

But we got past the 2 and 10 Chefs!

Slick
12-07-2008, 07:36 PM
So Alexander or Dookie Davenport....

Hopefully Najeh "I just had to drop off the kids at the pool" Devenport.

dogfish
12-07-2008, 07:59 PM
well, if nothing else this solves the dilemna of what to do with woodyard once dj gets healthy-- now we'll still need him at WILL, since DJ will have to slide over to tailback. . .

:frusty:

seriously, this takes an awful lot of the shine off of today's win IMO. . . it's still nice to see the kids show some heart and pull out a tough win, and i've said all along that i'd like to see them get some playoff experience even if we can't make a deep run, but our chance of actually being a factor goes waaay down if hillis is out. . .

maybe selvin can get healthy and give us something. . .

:rofl: :pound:

honz
12-07-2008, 08:04 PM
Ugh...we need Hillis. Hopefully Selvin can get back on the field soon. No, Selvin isn't the ideal tailback to have carrying the load, but he is a much better option than Tater IMO. Hopefully we can survive until the end of the season and have Hillis back for our first playoff game...assuming we get that far.

PatricktheDookie
12-07-2008, 08:11 PM
It's all about Selvin Young now.

Funny how things come full circle.

Timmy!
12-07-2008, 08:20 PM
Ugh. Sucks. Let's hope the rookie heals quickly and can be back by the playoff game.

That being said, I'd take Hillis over Young any day, but if we can get what was our starting RB back we should be ok. I'd still sign Alexander or Dookie, :heh: , but Young, tater tots, and whatever signee should be able to do something the last 3 weeks.

It's all about Cutler and the passing game now. Thankfully getting Champ and DJ back should help the defense, who has been quietly improving nicely, despite rookies, backups, and retarded play calling/scheme.

Broncogator
12-07-2008, 08:32 PM
I heard Shanny's presser, and he said he thought it was a hammy. He said he
could not be sure until the MRI results come back, but he "wasn't pleased" to
see how Hillis walked into the locker room.

-----

I can't see how it was a hammy, the way his knee stuck one way and he went the other I thought he blew out his ACL...or one of them there CL's ...great catch though.

broncofaninfla
12-07-2008, 08:45 PM
It looked like a hammy to me. Regardless totally sucks. We just lost the best RB on our roster and the guy who was best suited for late season football.

dogfish
12-07-2008, 08:48 PM
I can't see how it was a hammy, the way his knee stuck one way and he went the other I thought he blew out his ACL...or one of them there CL's ...great catch though.

i don't have a ton of respect for our training staff, but i still like to think they can tell the difference between a hamstring pull and a major knee injury without needing an MRI. . . if not, they really need to be looking for another field to work in. . .

my guess would be that he strained something in his hamstring while his leg was bracing against the fall. . .

G_Money
12-07-2008, 09:03 PM

When you hyper-extend the knee like that you can either pop a knee ligament by over-stretching it, or pull a hamstring because you're over stretching those attachments too.

He apparently did the latter.

Hamstrings are tricky injuries to heal. Get it massaged all the freakin' time, Hillis. If they tell you not to, kick them with your good leg. The Euros do incredible work with acute injury rehabilitiation.

Find a Swede to manhandle your leg until it heals properly and get back here ASAP. :salute:

~G

WhatEver!!!
12-07-2008, 09:12 PM
Who is our fitness coach again!!! the one that is supposed to limber the guys up before the games

topscribe
12-07-2008, 09:56 PM
Who is our fitness coach again!!! the one that is supposed to limber the guys up before the games

If you watched the replay, I don't think any kind of conditioning would have
avoided some kind of injury. All Hillis' 250 pounds was trying to bend that leg
in a direction it wasn't designed to bend.

-----

TXBRONC
12-07-2008, 10:15 PM
Guys lets not get on the ledge just yet. There is a very real posibility that the injury could keep Hillis out the remainder of the year but we wont know for a day or two.

LoyalSoldier
12-07-2008, 10:19 PM

They way he landed very few people would walk away unhurt from that.

BroncoTech
12-07-2008, 11:26 PM
He's one tough ****** we need him back ASAP. The way he was over extended and the shock of landing looked painful when it happened. Get well soon Peyton, you've more than proved respectful fan support.

Lonestar
12-07-2008, 11:41 PM
They had a shot of him pointing to his head when he was down at that moment I was praying slight concussion or a zinger in the shoulder or something EASY..

When I saw the slo mo of him landing on ONE leg with the knee bending the wrong way, I started praying it was not one or more of the ligaments massively torn..

Hamstring is good folks considering all the other issues it could be..

I think we have found our next Starting RB..

If not then Bobby Turner and mikey should be run out of town..

honz
12-07-2008, 11:43 PM
I just read on Bill Williamson's AFC West blog that a member of our training staff said that Shanny may have been premature in pronouncing the extent of the injury. Hopefully it isn't as serious as Shanny thought.

Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said the injury Hillis suffered often costs a player a month. However the team's trainer said through the PR staff that is premature. Hillis said after the game that he doesn't think the injury is overly serious.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest

Denver Native (Carol)
12-07-2008, 11:46 PM
Vic Lombardi did talk to Peyton in the locker room after the game.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hw11cSd95iue3sRaxxs-K6fEWn4AD94U8BEO1

Broncos rally from early deficit to beat Chiefs

By ARNIE STAPLETON – 2 hours ago

DENVER (AP) — A month ago, Tatum Bell was hawking cell phones and wireless plans at a kiosk at the Aurora Mall. Now, he's the latest leader of the Denver Broncos' broken backfield.

The Broncos finally found a way to win at home Sunday, rallying past Kansas City 24-17, but they lost their sixth tailback when bulldozing rookie Peyton Hillis went down with a strained right hamstring.

Bell came in and helped the Broncos (8-5) snap a three-game losing skid at home by rumbling for 52 yards on 11 carries, including a crucial 28-yard run on Denver's game-winning, 95-yard touchdown drive.

Cornerback Dre' Bly then stuffed Kansas City quarterback Tyler Thigpen a yard shy of the end zone on fourth-and-goal to seal the Broncos' first win at home since Oct 5 and atone for their lopsided loss to the Chiefs (2-11) in September.

The Broncos put themselves on the cusp of ending a three-year playoff drought. They lead second-place San Diego by three games in the middling AFC West.

But even when they win in this topsy-turvy season, they lose.

Hillis had rejuvenated the Broncos' battered backfield after moving over from fullback last month, and his 18-yard touchdown run, his fifth in four games, jump-started the Broncos' comeback from an early 10-0 deficit.

He went to the sideline, however, after he was sandwiched by two defenders while coming down with a leaping first-down catch in the second quarter.

"I think maybe a contusion, maybe something that slight," said Hillis, who rushed eight times for 58 yards and caught one pass for 11 yards before getting hurt.

His coach, Mike Shanahan, wasn't so optimistic.

"Any time it's a hamstring and they come off the field like he did today, normally it's a month at best," Shanahan said. "It didn't look good. I'm hoping it's not quite as bad as I anticipate, but I was not pleased watching him walk off the field."

Bell said the Broncos' run game was in good hands: his.

"I hope Peyton will bounce back, but I feel good being in there doing what I can," said Bell, who spent his first three NFL seasons in Denver. "I'm excited about the opportunity to probably get some more carries."

Just in case Bell also got hurt, rookie fullback/linebacker Spencer Larsen huddled at halftime with running back Selvin Young to go over the playbook and protections.

Jay Cutler said if the Broncos lose another running back, he might have to be the primary ballcarrier himself.

"Might as well at this point. It seems like we have one go down every game," Cutler said. "I don't know the extent of Peyton's injury. But luckily enough we have Tatum. He understands the system, he knows when to cut back."

Center Casey Wiegmann isn't worried about the Broncos being down to their seventh-string running back.

"We just have to play well up front," he said. "As long as all five of us stay healthy, we'll be OK."

Cutler completed 32 of 40 passes for 286 yards and two touchdowns, both of them to Brandon Marshall, including a 6-yarder for the winner early in the fourth quarter when he caught a bubble screen at the line of scrimmage and plowed his way through linebacker Rocky Boiman at the 2.

That score gave Denver its first lead at home in 13 quarters.

Thigpen promptly drove the Chiefs all the way to the Broncos 5, where his draw on fourth-and-goal was snuffed out by cornerback Dre' Bly at the 1.

"I knew the ball had to come out quick," Bly said. "If it didn't, he was going to tuck it and run."

Thigpen said the play was designed to go to tight end Tony Gonzalez, who had five catches for 73 yards.

"Tony was getting mauled and I just decided to take off," Thigpen said. "It was me one-on-one and I came up a yard short."

Cutler's only bad pass all day was returned by rookie nickel back Maurice Leggett for a 27-yard touchdown in the first quarter that gave Kansas City an early 10-0 lead.

Notes:@ Denver also lost WR Brandon Stokley (ankle) and LB Mario Haggan (knee) and Kansas City lost C Rudy Niswanger (knee). ... For the first time since 1995, the Broncos have gone three games without allowing a sack. ... The Chiefs are 0-8 all-time at Invesco Field.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-07-2008, 11:52 PM
at this point it is almost comical

Magnificent Seven
12-07-2008, 11:58 PM
Spencer Larsen could be RB. He looks like Hillis. So, why not?

Magnificent Seven
12-08-2008, 12:26 AM

However, Tatum Bell looked good from today's game. I would go for neither Larsen or T. Bell.

Lonestar
12-08-2008, 12:30 AM
However, Tatum Bell looked good from today's game. I would go for neither Larsen or T. Bell.

He looked good on ONE play and it was BLOCKING was extremely good for it...

Lets not get giddy about him, for he was ran down from behind.. because folks it doth not apear he has that "take it to the house" speed any more..

honz
12-08-2008, 12:43 AM
He looked good on ONE play and it was BLOCKING was extremely good for it...

Lets not get giddy about him, for he was ran down from behind.. because folks it doth not apear he has that "take it to the house" speed any more..

Don't let your Tater hate blind you. He wasn't caught from behind...the safety had the angle on him. Tater still has a good burst and speed, he just sucks at running between the tackles and can't break a tackle to save his life. We'll definitely have to go with more of the old fashioned stretch plays next week if Tater is gonna be our main guy...Tater just can't run straight ahead like Hillis can obviously.

Day1BroncoFan
12-08-2008, 12:49 AM
This freakin' hurts man. What the hell?

sneakers
12-08-2008, 12:58 AM
What the heck?!?!?!

I have an idea :idea:

Ron Dayne!

sneakers
12-08-2008, 12:58 AM

C'mon now....

all white people do NOT look the same :D

G_Money
12-08-2008, 01:01 AM
Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said the injury Hillis suffered often costs a player a month. However the team's trainer said through the PR staff that is premature. Hillis said after the game that he doesn't think the injury is overly serious.

Hillis is one of those guys who thinks amputation might keep him out a couple weeks.

Let's see how he is on Wednesday. I honestly want him back for Buffalo at home. That's the game we have to have. If he re-injures it against Carolina and can't go the rest of the season, I'll be bummed.

If he's a fast healer, fine. If he's dragging his leg behind him like Igor, for God's sake give the man the week off.

We need him healthy to have a prayer of doing anything in the playoffs.

~G

Magnificent Seven
12-08-2008, 01:37 AM
C'mon now....

all white people do NOT look the same :D

Silly! It is not about the color. Larsen and Hillis have something in common. Spencer Larsen has the same size as Peyton Hillis has. They both have won the Diet Pepsi Rookie of the week. Larsen can play RB/FB and LB. His mentality is tough and he can bring the offense straightforward. My point is that Spencer Larsen could play RB until Hillis returns to the field. It could be in wildcard match in January or early. It is depends on Hillis’ health and he could heals quickly. Who knows?

ktrain
12-08-2008, 01:37 AM
To pull from the Gameday thread...

We need another back to pair with Hillis. A good back.

~G

What abot Mike Bell, runs hard between the tackles..... but needs to hang ono the ball. biring back Mike?

PatricktheDookie
12-08-2008, 01:56 AM
Mike Bell is a Saint.

scott.475
12-08-2008, 07:20 AM
Silly! It is not about the color. Larsen and Hillis have something in common. Spencer Larsen has the same size as Peyton Hillis has. They both have won the Diet Pepsi Rookie of the week. Larsen can play RB/FB and LB. His mentality is tough and he can bring the offense straightforward. My point is that Spencer Larsen could play RB until Hillis returns to the field. It could be in wildcard match in January or early. It is depends on Hillis’ health and he could heals quickly. Who knows?

They also have last names for their first AND last names...:beer:

Dreadnought
12-08-2008, 07:33 AM
Hillis carried this team at a critical time yesterday, while Jay got his act together. I think he can do it again, and if we have to wait for him to do it next year so be it. I really don't think we're a Championship team yet anyway, Ladies and Gents. That being said, this is a much better team than we were fielding 6 weeks ago...well, aside from that whole all-our-running-backs-are-hurt-thing.

Tatum really isn't that bad, and I still like Selvin Young if he can finally get healthy, so we aren't dead yet. I'm just not expecting a deep playoff run as of now. Its OK, this team is hugely improved from the 07 product, and additional key pieces have been put in place now. I hope like Hell Hillis returns this year, because he is sure fun to watch, but healthy and not jeopardizing his and the team's future.

Dirk
12-08-2008, 08:20 AM
When Hillis went out my heart went into my throat! I just kept having images of 'ol Tater running the ball...ugh!

I think my 4 year old niece can tackle Tater in the open field.

On the one play when the Broncos were called for a false start, everyone pulled up and Tater ran into a Chiefs player and STILL FELL DOWN! It was comical. I wish I could find that clip. Just too funny! .... and sad

haroldthebarrel
12-08-2008, 08:47 AM
When you hyper-extend the knee like that you can either pop a knee ligament by over-stretching it, or pull a hamstring because you're over stretching those attachments too.

He apparently did the latter.

Hamstrings are tricky injuries to heal. Get it massaged all the freakin' time, Hillis. If they tell you not to, kick them with your good leg. The Euros do incredible work with acute injury rehabilitiation.

Find a Swede to manhandle your leg until it heals properly and get back here ASAP. :salute:

~G

Don't go to sweden. go to Norway.

As some of you know, we have been totally dominant for almost 20 years in almost all skiing and winter olympics.

A large part of that is due to our national "Toppidrettssenteret" which have been developing a lot of methods to create better training and avoid/help with injuries.

One of these is the Redcord trainer, which have been extensively used by people like Kjetil-Andre Åmodt (the most medals for alpine skiing) and others.

I am gonna make a thread about this later but here is a pick.

http://www.redcord.com/dm_pictures/Workstation_539_40w9F1_200x1000.jpg

http://www.redcord.com/

BeefStew25
12-08-2008, 08:49 AM
Man, I bet you could get a girl and a pint of Mad Dog and really have some fun on that thing.

Ziggy
12-08-2008, 08:50 AM
What abot Mike Bell, runs hard between the tackles..... but needs to hang ono the ball. biring back Mike?

I believe he said a GOOD back.

MOtorboat
12-08-2008, 09:12 AM
Hillis carried this team at a critical time yesterday, while Jay got his act together. I think he can do it again, and if we have to wait for him to do it next year so be it. I really don't think we're a Championship team yet anyway, Ladies and Gents. That being said, this is a much better team than we were fielding 6 weeks ago...well, aside from that whole all-our-running-backs-are-hurt-thing.

Tatum really isn't that bad, and I still like Selvin Young if he can finally get healthy, so we aren't dead yet. I'm just not expecting a deep playoff run as of now. Its OK, this team is hugely improved from the 07 product, and additional key pieces have been put in place now. I hope like Hell Hillis returns this year, because he is sure fun to watch, but healthy and not jeopardizing his and the team's future.

And I thought Shanahan did a pretty good job of game-planning in the second half once Hillis went down. Bell might be a pretty good fit in that spread scheme Denver trotted out a lot in the second half.

broncofaninfla
12-08-2008, 10:17 AM
Each time I see the highlight on that play it's looks worse. I PRAY it's only minor. Anybody would have gotten hurt on that play, lets see how quick he heals. If any player on the team could bounce back quickly from an injury like this, it's Peyton. The kid is strong as an ox and when healthy can carry this team.