PDA

View Full Version : Henry done

silkamilkamonico
10-04-2007, 06:47 PM
http://www.myfoxcolorado.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=4547952&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

Unbelievable.

silkamilkamonico
10-04-2007, 06:49 PM
DENVER --

Fox 31 News has learned that Denver Broncos running back Travis Henry, the team's leading rusher, has tested positive for marijuana use and could be subject to a one-year suspension.

Henry, 28, previously served a four-game suspension from the National Football League for violating the leagues substance abuse policy in September 2005 as a member of the Tennessee Titans.

Henry can appeal the latest violation. However, if the appeal is denied, he will begin serving a one-year suspension immediately.

Henry can file for reinstatement 60 days prior to the end of the suspension.

The Denver Broncos had no official comment, instead, deferring to the NFL.

The Broncos signed Travis Henry in the off-season to a five-year, $22.5 million contract with $12 million in guarantees.

Let the Selvin Young era begin.

SR
10-04-2007, 06:49 PM
Wow. Dunno what else to say.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-04-2007, 06:51 PM
WELL, isn't that just great :banghead::banghead:

Medford Bronco
10-04-2007, 06:52 PM
Wow. Dunno what else to say.

Maybe now you know why I am so pessimistic

I have been saying something is not right with this team

and one of the few things we actually can do, blows up

as for Selvin Young :ahhhhh:

Not enough info yet but so far so good.

we are going to be 7-9 this year. sorry dont flame me plz :sad:

BroncoWave
10-04-2007, 07:00 PM
Well damn. There goes our season. Hey, at least we will get a good draft pick this year.

BigBroncLove
10-04-2007, 07:08 PM
Man this is a story straight out of Bronco fan hell..... :sad:

Well, if there is one place the Broncos seem to be able to fit someone in and still get good production, it's RB. While I doubt this team will ahve near the ability without Henry, I also believe that an RBBC with Young and Sapp can be succesful in the NFL. Young providing the speed, and Sapp ebing the short third down RB. Bell even offers something.

I rememebr all those people saying cut mike bell, cut mike bell, but this is the exact reason I wanted to keep him. Just incase Henry went down (didn;t expect this though) and we had to rely on an unproven rookie. If Young starts fumbling or can't get going, it will be very important for the Broncos to hav a healthy and activated mike Bell on the line. One thing is for sure, if Sapp gets the call to be the #2 RB, I expect a lot of two tight end sets again, with perhaps motioning Grahahm into the FB slot on regular occassions. That will put more recieving threats on the field IMO if Scheff is out there.....

BroncoWave
10-04-2007, 07:09 PM
I am starting to be a little skeptical of this story. I would think if this is legit it would have been reported by more than one newspaper by now. I'm just going to wait and see.

Nomad
10-04-2007, 07:12 PM
Before the signing, I know there were plenty of people who questioned his character when it came to substance abuse. I guess we can say "you were right". Very sad to see this happen and the man let his team down.

BigBroncLove
10-04-2007, 07:13 PM
I am starting to be a little skeptical of this story. I would think if this is legit it would have been reported by more than one newspaper by now. I'm just going to wait and see.

Here's another story that is interesting and related, though doesn't suggest he is being suspended....

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/ny-sphenry1005,0,826731.story

NameUsedBefore
10-04-2007, 07:14 PM
Are you freaking kidding me? I went into this topic thinking "Oh man, some horrible knee injury." But no, I got massively disappointment. Seriously, you get paid millions, you can lay off the reefer for awhile. This... ugh... dammit.

anton...
10-04-2007, 07:20 PM
if this is true...

i think we wont be the same team anymore...

and perhaps change could be good...

perhaps...

the best thing that i can see from this is that the overpaid contract that henry got imo can now be nullified as there was a repeat offender clause in it i recall...

lets hope we get a good back next year...

:huh:
________
Park Royal 2 Condo Pattaya (http://pattayaluxurycondos.com)

BigBroncLove
10-04-2007, 07:23 PM
the best thing that i can see from this is that the overpaid contract that henry got imo can now be nulified as there was a repeat offender clause in it i recall...

YEs there were clauses in the contract that penalized Henry for violating his substance abuse policy with the NFL. I forget the exact stipulations, but they were built into the contract to protect the Bronco organization and would return a large chunk of his money....

Medford Bronco
10-04-2007, 07:25 PM
YEs there were clauses in the contract that penalized Henry for violating his substance abuse policy with the NFL. I forget the exact stipulations, but they were built into the contract to protect the Bronco organization and would return a large chunk of his money....

if this is true and he gets suspended. Cut his Ass and move on
from this loser character person.

TXBRONC
10-04-2007, 07:27 PM
Well this is more than likely going to leave a mark.

Medford Bronco
10-04-2007, 07:28 PM

Now you know why I am pessimistic. It seems like trouble has been following this team since last year with all the bad luck with Darrent, Nash, the injuries and now this.

**sigh** :tsk:

TXBRONC
10-04-2007, 07:30 PM
Now you know why I am pessimistic. It seems like trouble has been following this team since last year with all the bad luck with Darrent, Nash, the injuries and now this.

**sigh** :tsk:

Well we still have to go foward, we'll see what happens.

BigBroncLove
10-04-2007, 07:30 PM
if this is true and he gets suspended. Cut his Ass and move on
from this loser character person.

I agree. One of the big things talked about when Shanny brought him in apaprently was concerns over past violations of this nature. Concerns which were serious enough to put into his contract. If he has violated these terms as described in the story, then it would be best for the Broncos to cut their losses now IMO. Trying to bring him in a year from now when he has been sidelined for a year may not be the right idea.

I hate to say it, and damnit if I don't like seeing another position being looked at as another draft or FA position needing attention, but I would have to say it would be a smart move to cut the losses, depending on how his contract effects the Broncos cap space. On the bright side, I think it would be a good idea to pick up Turner from the Chargers come FA if they do decide to do this..... I like his level of play, pass protection, power, and speed....

anton...
10-04-2007, 07:38 PM

a skid mark...

;)
________
Effects Of Wellbutrin (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/wellbutrin/)

anton...
10-04-2007, 07:41 PM
On the bright side, I think it would be a good idea to pick up Turner from the Chargers come FA if they do decide to do this..... I like his level of play, pass protection, power, and speed....

yeah...

and if we cut henry at least we could offer him a similar contract...

turner would fit here nicely...

:D
________
Medical marijuana best rated dispensaries in the south bay area 90744 (http://www.dispensaries.org/)

BigBroncLove
10-04-2007, 08:00 PM
Carol, already posted. Check post #10

SR
10-04-2007, 08:06 PM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nfl

Denver Native (Carol)
10-04-2007, 08:06 PM
Carol, already posted. Check post #10

Thanks - Deleted

If this story is true, I would like to see Kyle Johnson brought back, if he has not signed with another team.

melissAnn
10-04-2007, 08:11 PM
it sucks but lets try to keep positive
man- for the money he's getting paid (or going to lose now)... why didn't he just have a jack and coke? :tsk:

SR
10-04-2007, 08:13 PM
man- for the money he's getting paid (or going to lose now)... why didn't he just have a jack and coke? :tsk:

Mmmmm...Jack and Coke....:beer:

Uncle Buck
10-04-2007, 08:15 PM

Ha-ha, young lady... I'm gonna have one for him! :D <--- laffin thru my tears...

Broncos Mtnman
10-04-2007, 08:22 PM
http://www.allfunpix.com/humor/pics3/stupid_people.jpg

ChampWJ
10-04-2007, 08:28 PM
Wow, time to start drinking. Way to go Travis, you low IQ SOB.

DenBronx
10-04-2007, 08:30 PM
i dont know what to say....i dont think ive ever been this disapointed in a bronco...ever. i even adopted him...man o man this is just nuts. hopefully we can recoop most of his signing bonus and salary.

maybe we can trade him, gold and rice to the chargers for lt this offseason.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-04-2007, 08:31 PM
According to this article, it depends on when he tested positive, since the last time was Sept 2005, and if he tested positive after two years from that date, it will be treated as a first-time offense.

http://cbs4denver.com/topstories/local_story_277210011.html

Oct 4, 2007 6:58 pm US/Mountain
Broncos' Travis Henry Tests Positive For Marijuana

Vic Lombardi
Reporting

(CBS4) ENGLEWOOD, Colo. Broncos running back Travis Henry has tested positive for marijuana, CBS4's Vic Lombardi has confirmed.

It is unclear when he tested positive. If he test positive within two years of his last positive test, which was September of 2005, he could be facing a one-year suspension. If he tested positive after that period, he would have cleared a probation period and it would be treated as a first-time offense.

Henry also has a right to appeal.

ChampWJ
10-04-2007, 08:35 PM
According to this article, it depends on when he tested positive, since the last time was Sept 2005, and if he tested positive after two years from that date, it will be treated as a first-time offense.

Vic Lombardi
Reporting

(CBS4) ENGLEWOOD, Colo. Broncos running back Travis Henry has tested positive for marijuana, CBS4's Vic Lombardi has confirmed.

It is unclear when he tested positive. If he test positive within two years of his last positive test, which was September of 2005, he could be facing a one-year suspension. If he tested positive after that period, he would have cleared a probation period and it would be treated as a first-time offense.

That's correct. He was scheduled to roll off the program after week 3. If his test was before then, he's done for a year.

BigBroncLove
10-04-2007, 08:36 PM

Very interesting. Thanks. Since the other report says he filed to withhold the test on sept 20th it sounds like it might be the year long though... :sad:

ChampWJ
10-04-2007, 08:40 PM
I believe 9/20 was before week 3, right? What a moron, imagine risking it knowing you would be out of the program in a week. Absolutely unbelievable.

BigBroncLove
10-04-2007, 08:41 PM
I believe 9/20 was before week 3, right? What a moron, imagine risking it knowing you would be out of the program in a week. Absolutely unbelievable.

HE filed on the 20th, which would of meant the test would of taken hand before then. The week three gmae was on the 23rd....

topscribe
10-04-2007, 09:01 PM
What a damned idiot.

If he never comes back, it will be too soon. :mad:

-----

TXBRONC
10-04-2007, 09:10 PM
What a damned idiot.

-----

He hasn't been suspended yet so he's not off the team. If he should get the one year suspension we'll be :wave: good-bye.

ChampWJ
10-04-2007, 09:10 PM
What a damned idiot.

-----

Agreed, I hope he never disgraces a Broncos uniform again.

BroncoWave
10-04-2007, 09:16 PM
I'm going to wait until we hear final word from the league until I make my judgment of him. It isn't looking good though.

TXBRONC
10-04-2007, 09:19 PM
This is really disappointing. The guy is leading the League in rushing, it looks like he's going to have a career year and then steps all over his manhood.

broncosfanscott
10-04-2007, 09:25 PM
Na, na, na, na..........hey, hey, hey goodbye.

I have ripped Rickey Williams so many times for the amount of times he has tested positive and now I can add T.Henry to the list. I have lost respect for the guy and if he does officially get suspended then Shanny better cut him and get the money he signed for back.

As silkamilkamonico stated....."Let the Selvin Young era begin" This brings the question, now who backs up Young? Is M.Bell healthy?

I see suspensions for this happen all the time and never in my mind thought it would happen to us. I hope all this bad :censored: stops and can something good happen for us sometime soon.

SM19
10-04-2007, 09:30 PM
That's positively infuriating. Yes, the league has an unbelievably draconian substance policy that punishes drug use far out of proportion to more serious violent offenses, but that's not the point. Henry damn well ought to have had the sense to lay off the weed at least until he was out of the program. Between this and his ongoing problems with child support payments, he's not exactly establishing a reputation for making smart decisions.

I like Selvin Young and think he's a very talented back, but I'm worried this could be too soon for him. Not to mention that I'd hoped we could assign him extra duties as a returner. No chance of that now, as he's just become too valuable.

SR
10-04-2007, 09:34 PM
Here's all the details.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3049721

TXBRONC
10-04-2007, 09:46 PM
If Henry is done then I hope Selvin can be the workhorse.

SR
10-04-2007, 09:48 PM
If Henry is done then I hope Selvin can be the workhorse.

He looks good IMO. From what I've seen so far, it looks like he's got the speed of Tatum Bell, but is willing to lower his head and plow people, like he has proven already.

SM19
10-04-2007, 09:48 PM
P.S.: That sound you heard was me adding Selvin Young to as many fantasy football teams as I could.

Simple Jaded
10-04-2007, 09:49 PM
Maybe now you know why I am so pessimistic

I have been saying something is not right with this team

and one of the few things we actually can do, blows up

as for Selvin Young :ahhhhh:

Not enough info yet but so far so good.

we are going to be 7-9 this year. sorry dont flame me plz :sad:

Homer!! :D

topscribe
10-04-2007, 09:50 PM
Here's all the details.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3049721

I like one of the comments to the story you cited:

"I hope that weed was worth 33 million!!!!!"

:tsk:

-----

SR
10-04-2007, 09:54 PM

-----

No joke. As pissed off as I am about this, I can't help but think that I had a feeling him being a Bronco and staying clean and out of trouble wasn't a likely scenario. Oh well. Life goes on.

I won't ride this season off though, not yet. We still have Selvin Young who is plenty capable. If he can stay healthy and Cutler can get his crap together along with our run D, we can still be a damn good football team.

Uncle Buck
10-04-2007, 09:58 PM
So, for now, it's Young and Bell. I'm good with having Henry out of the picture. I didn't exactly like his past in the first place--assorted kids in assorted states, and prone to injury.

Which begs the question, why were we too ethical to have a TO on the team?

It's time to get back to developing the 1000 yards + new RB's, and place the emphasis on Young.

This RB issue is the least of our worries at this point in time, what, with a defense that confuses nobody but the fans?

And special teams?

No comment.

Anyway, in the RB dept, we can do without Travis. He blew the opportunity of his career, if all of this is true.

dogfish
10-04-2007, 10:00 PM
sheesh. . . .

what a frickin' moron! just what this team needed right now. . . high draft pick, here we come!

topscribe
10-04-2007, 10:01 PM
No joke. As pissed off as I am about this, I can't help but think that I had a feeling him being a Bronco and staying clean and out of trouble wasn't a likely scenario. Oh well. Life goes on.

I won't ride this season off though, not yet. We still have Selvin Young who is plenty capable. If he can stay healthy and Cutler can get his crap together along with our run D, we can still be a damn good football team.

Actually, Young has almost doubled Henry's YPC. I understand he is also a
good blocker. And he is not afraid to hit somebody. My only concern is
whether he can be the late-game workhorse we were expecting of Henry.
But I remember our wondering that of one Clinton Portis, and he didn't
disappoint us. And he is about the same size as Young.

-----

The Dark Knight
10-04-2007, 10:03 PM
And the dark cloud continues......

:rain:

The Dark Knight
10-04-2007, 10:03 PM

-----

Yeah, Portis and Young remind me alot of each other.

dogfish
10-04-2007, 10:08 PM

-----

i've been on young's bandwagon since before the draft, and i think he can probably take over without too drastic a dropoff in production. . . however, durability and ball security have been issues for him throughout his career, and he's certainly not the experienced pass blocker that henry was. . . at the very best this is a major hit to our depth, which is already taken a BEATING at other spots. . .

al wilson and sam brandon lost to injury over the offseason, ekuban, holdman and hamilton lost to injury before the start of the season, smith on the PUP list and javon walker having knee problems, and hamza abdullah banged up. . . we are getting dangerously thin and we're barely into october-- i still have faith that our starters can play competitive football, but if the losses keep mounting at anything near this rate we are going to lose a war of attrition. . . :ahhhhh:

Tned
10-04-2007, 10:10 PM

Vic Lombardi
Reporting

I was wondering about this. When he was signed in the offseason, they said if he made it through the first four weeks, then he would be out of the NFL "program"

Tned
10-04-2007, 10:12 PM

-----

Sapp showed some decent power last year, and if Bell comes back from the concussion, he is serviceable. Regardless, while Young might be more explosive than Henry, this is a big blow, and a ton of wasted cap/salary on a player that will now likely be suspended for a year.

Calif. Bronco
10-04-2007, 10:15 PM

I think you've hit the nail on the head with this one. Young can be adequate for Henry (I think - no one knows for sure) but if we don't get that run D settled down we're not playing in January. Heck, we won't even be playing many meaningful games in December if we don't start stopping the run ASAP, IMHO. :shocked:

BroncoWave
10-04-2007, 10:16 PM
I was wondering about this. When he was signed in the offseason, they said if he made it through the first four weeks, then he would be out of the NFL "program"

The positive test came up before week 4 so if it holds up he's out for a year.

topscribe
10-04-2007, 10:17 PM
Yeah, Portis and Young remind me alot of each other.

Wow, it's good to see you, TDK. Hope you come around a little more often. :smile:

-----

SR
10-04-2007, 10:18 PM
After reading the ESPN article I posted, it honestly sounds bad for Henry.

Damn good thing I didn't go out and buy a Henry jersey. I'd have to go out to the woods and torch it.

BroncoWave
10-04-2007, 10:21 PM
I can just imagine what it's like at broncomania right now. They are probably like OMFGXX the franchise is ruined and we will never be good again! Oh noes!

Honestly, I don't think we will be too much worse without Henry. We still have MUCH bigger problems than RB.

BigBroncLove
10-04-2007, 10:22 PM
i've been on young's bandwagon since before the draft, and i think he can probably take over without too drastic a dropoff in production. . . however, durability and ball security have been issues for him throughout his career, and he's certainly not the experienced pass blocker that henry was. . . at the very best this is a major hit to our depth, which is already taken a BEATING at other spots. . .

al wilson and sam brandon lost to injury over the offseason, ekuban, holdman and hamilton lost to injury before the start of the season, smith on the PUP list and javon walker having knee problems, and hamza abdullah banged up. . . we are getting dangerously thin and we're barely into october-- i still have faith that our starters can play competitive football, but if the losses keep mounting at anything near this rate we are going to lose a war of attrition. . . :ahhhhh:

Those are my major concerns regarding Yougn. First and foremost his durability. He was injured constantly with Texas, and he could very well be injured similarly with his high tempo running style. So far he seems okay, but he also only has around 50 carries to his name. Then his ability to hang on to the ball. I expected that token rookie mistake when he fumbled the ball, but he has to protect the ball better IMO. I said before that game taht the way he switches his carrying arm to protect the ball is worrisome to me. We have the best in Bobby Turner though, so I am optimistic about this, though it didn;t help Tatum to much :sad: . Then lastly his ability to carry a higher load. Will he still show that explosive speed late in games when it counts? RBBC will help this, but will also leave us dangerously thin at FB.

I am optimistic about Rod Smith's return. If we get thin at RB, I think 4 WR sets can be a good weapon way to keep teams off balance. Smith, even at a fraction of his past abilities will shred dime CB's or LBs. It also allows for delayed hand offs, and more options for hot routes when teams show blitz. Walker is a huge concern obviously, and whil I miss Ekuban, with Rice here I think that is less of a concern as he does add depth even though his production has slipped (I honestly think he'll turn it up soon). Not having Al wilson is showing, but I still get angry when I think about him leaving.... even with the terrible injury, so I'll leave that alone.

It could be worse, we could be looking like the Bears right now, and this pace has got to stop, but at least unlike last year the season ending injuries arn't piling. We are having the type of injuries that hurt the team for a few weeks, but so far (knock on wood) there haven't been to many season enders this year.

Tned
10-04-2007, 10:23 PM

-----

Problem with that, is that the CBA specifically forbids a team putting any language that would forfeit a contract or require a player to repay bonus money if he tests positive. I am not aware of any league/CBA wide 'refund' policy, so what probably happens here is that he gets a one year suspension, still counts against the Broncos salary cap, he still keeps his signing bonus, and the NFL fines (aka takes) one year of his salary and gives it to an NFL approved charity.

So, the only 'big' loser here will be the Broncos, they will be out all the money/salary cap and not have their workhorse back they paid for.

SR
10-04-2007, 10:23 PM
Those are my major concerns regarding Yougn. First and foremost his durability. He was injured constantly with Texas, and he could very well be injured similarly with his high tempo running style. So far he seems okay, but he also only has around 50 carries to his name. Then his ability to hang on to the ball. I expected that token rookie mistake when he fumbled the ball, but he has to protect the ball better IMO. I said before that game taht the way he switches his carrying arm to protect the ball is worrisome to me. We have the best in Bobby Turner though, so I am optimistic about this, though it didn;t help Tatum to much :sad: . Then lastly his ability to carry a higher load. Will he still show that explosive speed late in games when it counts? RBBC will help this, but will also leave us dangerously thin at FB.

Henry switches the ball from arm to arm a lot too. They showed one replay of a run last week where Henry switched arms from left to right just as he was getting hit on the right side. Scared me.

SR
10-04-2007, 10:24 PM
Problem with that, is that the CBA specifically forbids a team putting any language that would forfeit a contract or require a player to repay bonus money if he tests positive. I am not aware of any league/CBA wide 'refund' policy, so what probably happens here is that he gets a one year suspension, still counts against the Broncos salary cap, he still keeps his signing bonus, and the NFL fines (aka takes) one year of his salary and gives it to an NFL approved charity.

So, the only 'big' loser here will be the Broncos, they will be out all the money/salary cap and not have their workhorse back they paid for.

Cut our losses. Trade up and draft Darren McFadden.

Tned
10-04-2007, 10:27 PM
I am optimistic about Rod Smith's return. If we get thin at RB, I think 4 WR sets can be a good weapon way to keep teams off balance. Smith, even at a fraction of his past abilities will shred dime CB's or LBs. It also allows for delayed hand offs, and more options for hot routes when teams show blitz.

In theory I like this idea, but in practice I don't think our line can protect Cutler if we go to a lot of 4 wide sets. Here and there, especially when disguised with clever personell groupings is great, but regularly with 4 true WRs, and I think out line crumbles even more than they have in the first four weeks.

BigBroncLove
10-04-2007, 10:28 PM
Henry switches the ball from arm to arm a lot too. They showed one replay of a run last week where Henry switched arms from left to right just as he was getting hit on the right side. Scared me.

Well they teach that, to switch the carrying arm away from the closest defenders to protect the ball from helmet collisions (when players sometimes lead with their head and plant that helmet right on the carrying arm). However when Selvin switches the ball from left to right, he doesn't always do it with the proper technique. He doesn't protect the ball while he is doing it, and often does it like he carrying that proverbial loaf of bread....

I hope this is something he works on.

BroncoWave
Cut our losses. Trade up and draft Darren McFadden.

Nooooo! We have MUCH bigger needs than RB. If we are going to trade up that high we need to get Glen Dorsey.

omac
Grrrrr ..... and he was running the ball so well. Power, speed, and breaking tackles.

I wonder if he bought one one on own, or if some friend offered him one at a party.

MARCUS THOMAS, WAKE UP!!!!! Let this be an advanced lesson for you, just in case you were thinking about it. And stay away from certain people (unless Thomas gave him the weed .... wouldn't that be a trip :D ).

Selvin Young and either Bell or Sapp will do fine running the ball; definitely not as great consistently, but we'll do okay. Our problem still remains our run defense.

BigBroncLove
10-04-2007, 10:29 PM
In theory I like this idea, but in practice I don't think our line can protect Cutler if we go to a lot of 4 wide sets. Here and there, especially when disguised with clever personell groupings is great, but regularly with 4 true WRs, and I think out line crumbles even more than they have in the first four weeks.

This is my biggest worry also, which is why I talked about more options for hot routes. A rookie will be more likely to make mistakes in their pre-snap reads, but it's something I think Cutler can do. I do agree, protection is the biggest worry here, and whoever is in at HB would have to prove themselves to be a competent pass protector on these plays, which means Sapp IMO.

SR
10-04-2007, 10:30 PM
Well they teach that, to switch the carrying arm away from the closest defenders to protect the ball from helmet collisions (when players sometimes lead with their head and plant that helmet right on the carrying arm). However when Selvin switches the ball from left to right, he doesn't always do it with the proper technique. He doesn't protect the ball while he is doing it, and often does it like he carrying that proverbial loaf of bread....

I hope this is something he works on.

Remember that cornerback that used to play with the 49ers? Maybe he was a safety? He had a really long neck and every time he would pick the ball off he would hold it in his hand like a loaf of bread while he did his little bobble head dance?

Dunno why, but when I read your post it made me thing of that guy.

Uncle Buck
10-04-2007, 10:45 PM
Grrrrr ..... and he was running the ball so well. Power, speed, and breaking tackles.

I wonder if he bought one one on own, or if some friend offered him one at a party.

MARCUS THOMAS, WAKE UP!!!!! Let this be an advanced lesson for you, just in case you were thinking about it. And stay away from certain people (unless Thomas gave him the weed .... wouldn't that be a trip :D ).

Selvin Young and either Bell or Sapp will do fine running the ball; definitely not as great consistently, but we'll do okay. Our problem still remains our run defense.

You are correct there, m'man. The main problem is our defense against the run.

It's been so glaringly obvious, this young season. Our two high-priced corners don't even have to earn their paychecks. Who needs to pass, when you can't shut down the friggin' run?

All, in all, it's about balance, both sides of the ball. Right now, we are lopsided.

The test will come this Sunday, hosting SD. We stop that run, we might just have something here to build some hopes on for the season.

If not, GO ROCKIES!

:mad:

Medford Bronco
10-04-2007, 11:05 PM
Remember that cornerback that used to play with the 49ers? Maybe he was a safety? He had a really long neck and every time he would pick the ball off he would hold it in his hand like a loaf of bread while he did his little bobble head dance?

Dunno why, but when I read your post it made me thing of that guy.

Merton Hanks :D

http://cowboys.beloblog.com/archives/hanks.jpg

Requiem / The Dagda
10-04-2007, 11:11 PM
I just got the news over the phone from my friend and I couldn't believe it. Jimi is one of those guys who always likes to josh you about certain things so I really didn't have a clue or not as to whether I should believe him. I guess he wasn't kidding.

This is a huge blow to the team. My guess is that it's not going to be a one-year suspension, but the Broncos are going to have to cut their ties with him anyways. It'd really be a double standard if Denver didn't do anything about it, and where Henry has been absolutely impressive the team needs to send a message and show that this sort of behavior can't be tolerated.

Henry was on pace for an absolutely tremendous year with the Broncos, and now that's likely going to come to an end. I can't really find anything good that can come out of this, rather than the fact that Selvin will get a chance to shine and Mike Bell will probably be moved back to running back. At least we have a kid in Mike who has been there before, and a kid like Selvin who has shown he can play at the NFL level and make some noise.

Things could be a lot worse, but this is certainly something the team didn't need.

I just became far less optimistic about the rest of the year. Not only is this a blow to our team as far as a star playing is concerned, and the ability to help the team win - but it's a moral blow too, knowing one of the best players let the team down.

It's frustrating, and this seems to have just been a real crappy year for injuries and player related stories in Denver. It sucks, but what can you do?

A high draft pick looks like it's coming.

Uncle Buck
10-04-2007, 11:22 PM
I just got the news over the phone from my friend and I couldn't believe it. Jimi is one of those guys who always likes to josh you about certain things so I really didn't have a clue or not as to whether I should believe him. I guess he wasn't kidding.

This is a huge blow to the team. My guess is that it's not going to be a one-year suspension, but the Broncos are going to have to cut their ties with him anyways. It'd really be a double standard if Denver didn't do anything about it, and where Henry has been absolutely impressive the team needs to send a message and show that this sort of behavior can't be tolerated.

Henry was on pace for an absolutely tremendous year with the Broncos, and now that's likely going to come to an end. I can't really find anything good that can come out of this, rather than the fact that Selvin will get a chance to shine and Mike Bell will probably be moved back to running back. At least we have a kid in Mike who has been there before, and a kid like Selvin who has shown he can play at the NFL level and make some noise.

Things could be a lot worse, but this is certainly something the team didn't need.

I just became far less optimistic about the rest of the year. Not only is this a blow to our team as far as a star playing is concerned, and the ability to help the team win - but it's a moral blow too, knowing one of the best players let the team down.

It's frustrating, and this seems to have just been a real crappy year for injuries and player related stories in Denver. It sucks, but what can you do?

A high draft pick looks like it's coming.

Young man, I have given you a hard time lately. Sometimes, in your posts, you are all over the place (as I have been as well).

However, I liked this particular post of yorn. It is all over the place, but to the point, at the same time.

Yeah, what can you do? But, I'm not ready for the "high draft pick" yet.

Have we lost sight of the game, the team?

We already have a high draft pick. Cutler. But where is the team around him?

Nope, it's time to go back to the old way of thinking: working with what you have.

Right now, I'm inspired with the Rockies.

And the Broncos players are watching them, be sure of that!

Crush05
10-04-2007, 11:24 PM
Hey so how bout them Rockies!!! Time to change my sig!!!!!:tsk:

Medford Bronco
10-04-2007, 11:24 PM
Young man, I have given you a hard time lately. Sometimes, in your posts, you are all over the place (as I have been as well).

However, I liked this particular post of yorn. It is all over the place, but to the point, at the same time.

Nope, it's time to go back to the old way of thinking: working with what you have.

can they teach them to stop the run

** runs away. sorry needed some humor on a tense night*** :laugh:

BigBroncLove
10-04-2007, 11:26 PM

I'm sure the lady in your sig could, she could stop most men in their tracks :fisheye: :nod:

Watchthemiddle
10-04-2007, 11:28 PM
Can I start a chant.......

Selvin Young......

Selvin Young............

:coffee:

Uncle Buck
10-04-2007, 11:36 PM

No, my self-annointed nephew... they will SHAME then into stopping the run!

You did see that Shanny is now a Rockies fan, did you not?

Speaking of the Rockies (did I?), this is a Cinderella success story, made-for-movie written all over it.

Med, my wife is from Mass. And, suddenly, she has a problem, as a die-hard BoSox fan. She secretly wishes that her beloved Red Socks do not have to face the upstart Rockies in the upcoming World Series.

So, what is one to do, in this situation? Put a curse on the Rockies or the Sox?

Sports fans need therapy.

--a (confused) uncle buck

Requiem / The Dagda
10-04-2007, 11:39 PM

The Rockies story makes for great motivation and something to reflect on to overcome adversity, but the thing is - just because it's working there, doesn't mean it's working here at the football arena.

This Broncos team lacks the leadership, drive and motivation to be successful this year. I just don't see it on the field. I don't see the vocal leadership, and I don't see the leadership being done on the field. The Broncos players are out there every day with a heavy heart regarding Nash and Williams, and this just adds more sadness, tragedy and a little bit of nausea to the mix.

I hope the Broncos can do well this year with Henry being out, but placing the rock in the hands of a 24 year old undrafted rookie free agent just worries me a bit. The running game was the ONE part of this team that was consistently working, and I'm not sure that's going to be the case with just Young back there doing his thing. I will invest my confidence in the guy, but I'm going to say it's not an easy thing to do, and having him back there isn't the best feeling in the world.

Defenses will game plan against us, and Denver is going to be forced to throwing the ball if we can't run well.

The death of Nash and Williams, multiple starters from last year being out for the year, lingering injuries to big time contributors last season and now this? It just doesn't end in Denver. It's been a real frustrating year and I can't see how the team overcomes something like this. I admit I'm generally pessimistic in nature about most things, and it applies to football.

This is a serious let down to the team, and I hope we can make the best out of a bad situation, but this just darkens the outlook I have on the squad anymore. I think that's just a natural feeling.

Watchthemiddle
10-04-2007, 11:49 PM
This Broncos team lacks the leadership, drive and motivation to be successful this year.

Yup.

Uncle Buck
10-04-2007, 11:54 PM
The Rockies story makes for great motivation and something to reflect on to overcome adversity, but the thing is - just because it's working there, doesn't mean it's working here at the football arena.

This Broncos team lacks the leadership, drive and motivation to be successful this year. I just don't see it on the field. I don't see the vocal leadership, and I don't see the leadership being done on the field. The Broncos players are out there every day with a heavy heart regarding Nash and Williams, and this just adds more sadness, tragedy and a little bit of nausea to the mix.

I hope the Broncos can do well this year with Henry being out, but placing the rock in the hands of a 24 year old undrafted rookie free agent just worries me a bit. The running game was the ONE part of this team that was consistently working, and I'm not sure that's going to be the case with just Young back there doing his thing. I will invest my confidence in the guy, but I'm going to say it's not an easy thing to do, and having him back there isn't the best feeling in the world.

Defenses will game plan against us, and Denver is going to be forced to throwing the ball if we can't run well.

The death of Nash and Williams, multiple starters from last year being out for the year, lingering injuries to big time contributors last season and now this? It just doesn't end in Denver. It's been a real frustrating year and I can't see how the team overcomes something like this. I admit I'm generally pessimistic in nature about most things, and it applies to football.

This is a serious let down to the team, and I hope we can make the best out of a bad situation, but this just darkens the outlook I have on the squad anymore. I think that's just a natural feeling.

Let's just watch this upcoming SD game, my young friend, and go from there.

Make no mistake about it, this is a "must win," not only for the '07 season, but for the general moral of the team at the time. (I got those backwards, but you know what I mean).

The main thing we have to worry about is LT. This will be the test of our defense against the run. We both know that this is wishful thinking, as, so far, our D against the run has really sucked.

I don't really worry about their O line, outside of LT. Phillip Rivers is a crybaby, and I hope we really show the world for who he is, this Sunday.

One thing to know about in football, and in life: never be a crybaby.

Tune in, and watch Rivers cry, baby.

Medford Bronco
10-04-2007, 11:55 PM
No, my self-annointed nephew... they will SHAME then into stopping the run!

You did see that Shanny is now a Rockies fan, did you not?

Speaking of the Rockies (did I?), this is a Cinderella success story, made-for-movie written all over it.

Med, my wife is from Mass. And, suddenly, she has a problem, as a die-hard BoSox fan. She secretly wishes that her beloved Red Socks do not have to face the upstart Rockies in the upcoming World Series.

So, what is one to do, in this situation? Put a curse on the Rockies or the Sox?

Sports fans need therapy.

--a (confused) uncle buck

The Red Sox do not need any help in curses over the years minus 2004 of course;)

Tned
10-04-2007, 11:59 PM

The problem I see with this is that unless there is something in the CBA that do date I have not seen, then the Broncos will wind up escalating 4/5ths of his $12 milliion in signing bonus/guaranteed money, which eatsh up about half of that cap room you said that guys on the Mane said we would have next year.

So, I am not sure that they will cut him. They certainly could, but assuming his contract was relativley backloaded, and depending on exactly what the breakdown between signing bonus and guaranteed salary is, the Broncos could get hit with about $9.5 cap/salary (some actual cash paid out assuming next year has a guaranteed salary), vs. maybe $3-5 million (complete guesstimate based on what little contract info I have), if they keep him on the roster while he is suspended.

As to the length of his suspension. It is my understanding if you test positive again while in the program, then it triggers a 1 year suspension, after which you can petition for reinstatement if you have been in rehab and show you are working to get cleaned up. I did not think the 1 year was optional, but manadatory instead.

dogfish
10-05-2007, 12:04 AM

some of the rockies players could probably stop the run better than most of the guys in our front seven right now. . . . :mad:

at least the indians crushed the yankees. . . .

BigBroncLove
10-05-2007, 12:04 AM
The problem I see with this is that unless there is something in the CBA that do date I have not seen, then the Broncos will wind up escalating 4/5ths of his $12 milliion in signing bonus/guaranteed money, which eatsh up about half of that cap room you said that guys on the Mane said we would have next year.

So, I am not sure that they will cut him. They certainly could, but assuming his contract was relativley backloaded, and depending on exactly what the breakdown between signing bonus and guaranteed salary is, the Broncos could get hit with about $9.5 cap/salary (some actual cash paid out assuming next year has a guaranteed salary), vs. maybe $3-5 million (complete guesstimate based on what little contract info I have), if they keep him on the roster while he is suspended.

As to the length of his suspension. It is my understanding if you test positive again while in the program, then it triggers a 1 year suspension, after which you can petition for reinstatement if you have been in rehab and show you are working to get cleaned up. I did not think the 1 year was optional, but manadatory instead.

Very interesting post. What were the exact clauses in his contract if he violated the NFL substance abuse policy again? anyone know? This will be a big key in deciding IMO whether to release him or not. The problem is the Broncos will be eating a lot of big cap penalties this coming year. Wilsons contract, Warrens contract, and several others. If you combine that with what could be what you describe as a 9.5 million dolalr cap penalty, ti basically negates any possibility of signing a FA RB who could step in immeidately in Henry's place.

Given what you posted, I think it would be difficult for hte Broncos to do much in FA, or resign key players like Marhsall or Dumerville if they release Henry. Of course that's what a lot of people, including myself, said about this last offseason (heading in with 5.soemthing in cap space wasn't it :confused:). I would love to know what those clauses in his contract stipulate, because that could make all the difference...

Poet
10-05-2007, 12:07 AM
Ladies and gentlemen my condolocences. As a Bengals fan it felt that every other day I woke up and read about one of our players doing something stupid. I am more of a smack talker myself, but if I had to gamble I would bet that your replacement RB will be just fine. Your team is very well respected for their running ability, I mean you made Droughens look like a good back. You really want your team to cut him though, trust me talented players do no good when they ride the bench. Just look at Chris Henry and Odell Thurman. I wish your team the best of luck, and hopefully it could be a failed test. Mr Christ "got myself a gun" Henry "failed" a drug test and was later found to have taken a faulty test. Heres hoping.

Watchthemiddle
10-05-2007, 12:10 AM
Ladies and gentlemen my condolocences. As a Bengals fan it felt that every other day I woke up and read about one of our players doing something stupid. I am more of a smack talker myself, but if I had to gamble I would bet that your replacement RB will be just fine. Your team is very well respected for their running ability, I mean you made Droughens look like a good back. You really want your team to cut him though, trust me talented players do no good when they ride the bench. Just look at Chris Henry and Odell Thurman. I wish your team the best of luck, and hopefully it could be a failed test. Mr Christ "got myself a gun" Henry "failed" a drug test and was later found to have taken a faulty test. Heres hoping.

Thanks King.....Selvin will be just fine run running the ball. The problem is that we no longer have a "credible" threat running the ball and teams can now try and make Cutler beat them. Thats not a good thing. ALl they have to do is pressure him and he will start backpeddling.

:mad:

Requiem / The Dagda
10-05-2007, 12:15 AM

I heard that the Broncos might go after that guaranteed money though. I hope it doesn't eat away at the cap next year. We have such a good opportunity. :(

Tned
10-05-2007, 12:20 AM
Very interesting post. What were the exact clauses in his contract if he violated the NFL substance abuse policy again? anyone know? This will be a big key in deciding IMO whether to release him or not. The problem is the Broncos will be eating a lot of big cap penalties this coming year. Wilsons contract, Warrens contract, and several others. If you combine that with what could be what you describe as a 9.5 million dolalr cap penalty, ti basically negates any possibility of signing a FA RB who could step in immeidately in Henry's place.

Given what you posted, I think it would be difficult for hte Broncos to do much in FA, or resign key players like Marhsall or Dumerville if they release Henry. Of course that's what a lot of people, including myself, said about this last offseason (heading in with 5.soemthing in cap space wasn't it :confused:). I would love to know what those clauses in his contract stipulate, because that could make all the difference...

I'm going to go find what I posted on BM in the offseason. However, as I remember it, teams are forbidden from negotiating specific languages on refunds and such with players as it relates to the susbstance abuse programs. So, my best guess is there is nothing in his contract about a pay back.

ChampWJ
10-05-2007, 12:24 AM
After reading the ESPN article I posted, it honestly sounds bad for Henry.

Damn good thing I didn't go out and buy a Henry jersey. I'd have to go out to the woods and torch it.

Yeah.............about that Vick jersey I bought in '04...............

Tned
10-05-2007, 12:26 AM
I'm going to go find what I posted on BM in the offseason. However, as I remember it, teams are forbidden from negotiating specific languages on refunds and such with players as it relates to the susbstance abuse programs. So, my best guess is there is nothing in his contract about a pay back.

Ok, here is one clause I found in one of my BM posts. I think there were a couple others that were longer, but those might have been specific to non-drug related singing bonus refunds (ala Jake or Ricky Williams).

Javon Walker, Gerard Warren, Champ Bailey, etc. are players who played for peanuts in base salary because they got more guaranteed money. I'm willing to bet that this signing isn't worth more than 20-25 million dollars over five years. The risk here, is Henry's substance abuse - but I guarantee there are clauses in this contract that protect Denver if he messes up.

I'd bet my life on it.

As I just posted, the CBA forbids it. Maybe there is some type of round-a-bout way of getting the protection, but the CBA is very clear:

(e) Player Contracts may not contain individually negotiated provisions for forfeiture relating to violations of the Policy on Anabolic Steroids and Related Substances or the NFL Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse (which policies will address this issue), or for failing any drug test.

So, maybe there is a way to work in protection that isn't specifically related to violations of the substance abuse policy.

BigBroncLove
10-05-2007, 12:36 AM
Ok, here is one clause I found in one of my BM posts. I think there were a couple others that were longer, but those might have been specific to non-drug related singing bonus refunds (ala Jake or Ricky Williams).

I do believe yo ucan place clauses ina contract though if a player misses a set number of games, and obviously there are performance based clauses which could be added (to which I do not believe hanry had). However if I remember it correctly I do believe the Broncos did protect the organization with some sort of clause if Henry accrued this sort of problem, but cannot remember it well. I'll search around a bit, but already checked NFL.com who seems to have zero free agency signing in March 07 on file anymore (weird, every other mont his covered).

You may well be right, but for some reason I rememebr it being reported that way... I'll have to check. Thanks for hte post tned.

topscribe
10-05-2007, 12:38 AM

Wow. Makes one wonder at the cognitive abilities of the owners to agree to something such as that.

-----

Tned
10-05-2007, 12:42 AM
I heard that the Broncos might go after that guaranteed money though. I hope it doesn't eat away at the cap next year. We have such a good opportunity. :(

I hope there is a way to get him rehabbed and on the field or a way to go after his signing bonus, but I am afraid that might be tough. some of the guys are pretty cap wise, so if they say there is a way, there very well could be, but looking at the CBS clauses, I don't see it:

Section 9. Limitations on Salary Forfeitures:
(a) No forfeitures of signing bonuses shall be permitted, except that players and Clubs may agree: (i) to proportionate forfeitures of a signing bonus if a player voluntarily retires or willfully withholds his services from one or more regular season games; and/or (ii) that if a player willfully takes action that has the effect of substantially undermining his ability to fully participate and contribute in either preseason training camp or the regular season (including by willfully withholding his services in either preseason training camp or during the regular season or willfully missing one or more games), the player may forfeit the greater of: (a) 25% of the prorated portion of his signing bonus for the applicable League Year for the first time such conduct occurs after the beginning of training camp until the end of the season for his Club, and the remaining 75% prorated portion of his signing bonus for the applicable year for the second time such conduct occurs during that period that year; or (b) the proportionate amount of his signing bonus allocation for each week missed (1/17th for each regular season week or game missed).

(b) If a player with a signing bonus forfeiture clause voluntarily retires and misses the remainder of the season, and the player then reports back to the Club in the subsequent season, then the Club must either (i) take the player back under his existing contract with no forfeiture of the remaining proportionate signing bonus allocation, or (ii) release the player and seek repayment of any remaining proportion of the signing bonus allocated to future League Years.

(c) No forfeitures permitted (current and future contracts) for signing bonus allocations for years already performed, or for other salary escalators or performance bonuses already earned.

(d) A player’s right to receive and/or retain a signing bonus may not be conditioned on the player’s participation in voluntary off-season programs or voluntary minicamps, or for adverse public statements, provided that the Club may have non-proratable participation bonuses for its off-season workout program.

(e) Player Contracts may not contain individually negotiated provisions for forfeiture relating to violations of the Policy on Anabolic Steroids and Related Substances or the NFL Policy and Program for Substances of Abuse (which policies will address this issue), or for failing any drug test.

(f) Except as provided above, existing contract forfeiture provisions entered into before the end of the 2005 regular season will be in full force and effect for the duration of the current contract, and any extensions resulting solely from effectuation of existing contract provision (e.g., option years). If a Player Contract with a forfeiture provision entered into before the end of the 2005 regular season is otherwise extended or renegotiated, the amount of Salary agreed to in the contract prior to its extension or renegotiation shall be subject to forfeiture to the same extent as provided prior to such extension or renegotiation.

(g) For purposes of this Section 9, the terms “proportionate forfeitures” and “proportionate amount” mean 1/17th of that year’s signing bonus allocation for each regular season week or game missed.

pnbronco
10-05-2007, 12:52 AM

Tned, that you for the info, but I really, really hope they had the best lawyer on this and found a way around it. Why would you give a person with that type of history that much bonus money if you could not protect it somehow? I think TDK is right there is a dard cloud on this team and it just doesn't pertain to the field. I not even sure how to word what I have felt this year without ranting, so I'll just say Henry what an idiot.

Requiem / The Dagda
10-05-2007, 01:19 AM
What I get from that is that the contracts can't have that language, but it cannot stop teams from going after portions of it?

Tned
10-05-2007, 01:23 AM

Tned, that you for the info, but I really, really hope they had the best lawyer on this and found a way around it. Why would you give a person with that type of history that much bonus money if you could not protect it somehow? I think TDK is right there is a dard cloud on this team and it just doesn't pertain to the field. I not even sure how to word what I have felt this year without ranting, so I'll just say Henry what an idiot.

I hope there is a way around it. Just don't know, as the CBA is all I have to go on.

I think the reason teams take chances is because of the upside, combined with talking to the player and seeing if they 'believe' that the player will stay straight and not get in trouble again.

While it is a bit of ancient history, when Dale Carter received a one year (or possibly longer) ban for substance abuse, the Broncos carried him for more than a year as 'dead' salary. From what I recall, they were never able to get any relief, regardless of the fact they did nothing wrong, the player did.

I think what it comes down to is a negotiated issue between the league and NFLPA. The players association likely said, "fine, you want to drug test us, but that can't be used as a means to get money back that has already been paid..." I'm guessing this is simply a negotiated term in the CBA that the owners had to give on in order to get the players to agree to the testings, suspensions and other parts of the programs.

Tned
10-05-2007, 01:24 AM
What I get from that is that the contracts can't have that language, but it cannot stop teams from going after portions of it?

What grounds in those clauses would allow the team to go after money?

Requiem / The Dagda
10-05-2007, 01:28 AM
What grounds in those clauses would allow the team to go after money?

I really have no idea, but SoCal said there's a possibility he could have executed a waiver to forfeit the rights of that provision.

SM19
10-05-2007, 01:49 AM
I really have no idea, but SoCal said there's a possibility he could have executed a waiver to forfeit the rights of that provision.

I'd be surprised. The limitation is designed to protect players from being forced to have such language in their contracts. If teams can get around the limitation by getting the player to waive it, it's essentially meaningless.

Javalon
10-05-2007, 05:17 AM
I hope there is a way around it. Just don't know, as the CBA is all I have to go on.

I think the reason teams take chances is because of the upside, combined with talking to the player and seeing if they 'believe' that the player will stay straight and not get in trouble again.

While it is a bit of ancient history, when Dale Carter received a one year (or possibly longer) ban for substance abuse, the Broncos carried him for more than a year as 'dead' salary. From what I recall, they were never able to get any relief, regardless of the fact they did nothing wrong, the player did.

I think what it comes down to is a negotiated issue between the league and NFLPA. The players association likely said, "fine, you want to drug test us, but that can't be used as a means to get money back that has already been paid..." I'm guessing this is simply a negotiated term in the CBA that the owners had to give on in order to get the players to agree to the testings, suspensions and other parts of the programs.

With Dale Carter, I remember the Broncos were actually awarded a refund of his prorated bonus money. The problem was that Carter then filed for bankruptcy claiming that he didn't have the money anymore. I can't remember what the salary cap ramifications were, though.

Regardless, that was a long time ago and probably wouldn't pertain to the current CBA.

I understand the Broncos taking a chance on Henry but I can't believe they would give him that much guaranteed money unless there was some way to recoup it should Henry have drug problems again. I really hope more comes out on this pretty soon.

As for Henry, if he's guilty then he's a complete and utter moron.

broncos9697
10-05-2007, 05:46 AM
once again henry seems to find trouble,this is one thing I did not like about him when joining the broncos but there's always 2nd chanches in my book he blew it..
He is a great player a great back but he broke the law and the rules I hope he's not gone for the season but if he happens to get suspended we should cut him sue for all the money back and start over next year and go and get a another great back..our season could be over because of this it depends how young steps up to the plate or even put bell back there that what I would do..
heny has let his fans and teammates down big time...what a jerk

Retired_Member_001
10-05-2007, 06:24 AM
Stupid idiot. :banghead:

I've always known he was an idiot, you can tell it when he is interviewed. He sounds like a 3 year old.

The idiot doesn't know what the hell a condom is, I'm suprised he even knows where "it" goes. Great example to your 1,000,000 children you don't even take care of, Travis.

Let's get all the cash we can get out of the idiot and leave him.

I'm very upset at Henry right now as you can tell.

He's the only player I know who's jersey number is the same as his IQ.

Retired_Member_001
10-05-2007, 06:26 AM
I don't know if this has been posted, but if RMN are reporting it then it must be true.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nfl/article/0,2777,DRMN_23918_5714844,00.html

BigBroncLove
10-05-2007, 06:37 AM
I don't know if this has been posted, but if RMN are reporting it then it must be true.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nfl/article/0,2777,DRMN_23918_5714844,00.html

these excerpts from the article struck me the most....

"I talked to him about that," Shanahan said in March at the annual owners meetings about his prized free-agent addition. "He knows this is his last chance. He knows if he screws up, he's gone...

This time, it might not only cost the league's leading rusher time but also a substantial sum of money if it plays out against him because the Broncos have written protections into Henry's contract relating to his past drug use.

His $22.5 million contract includes $12 million in bonuses and includes a clause that forces Henry to repay his $6 million signing bonus — if he had received all of the money — if he is suspended for drugs.

Henry's signing bonus had been split into five payments, and he has received $2 million of it over three payments as of this month. He was scheduled to get another $1 million next month, then a $3 million payment in March.

With a suspension, he would have to forfeit the $2 million he had received and it would be unlikely the Broncos would follow through with the other payments.

And on an off topic note... this to from the same story....

The Broncos likely have settled on cornerback Dré Bly as their punt returner for the time being in the wake of Domenik Hixon's release.

Bly has handled that role at various points in four of his previous eight seasons. He has 34 chances, with 21 fair catches, a 12.9 average and one touchdown.

"He's obviously not only got experience but the physical skills to get that going," special-teams coach Scott O'Brien said.

The vacated kickoff-return job remains a toss-up between Andre Hall and Brian Clark, and the two could be aligned together.

Retired_Member_001
10-05-2007, 06:41 AM
Something else to remember, Travis Henry is struggling to pay child support for his 1,000,000 children.

Being out of a job could cause him alot of trouble.

I hope he does get in alot of trouble. Anyone as stupid as Travis Henry deserves trouble. Infact when someone does something stupid, they can always say " Atleast I didn't do a Travis Henry".

He risked everything, he took marijuana right before the test. :tsk:

TXBRONC
10-05-2007, 06:59 AM
They wont cut him until its economically feasible.

TXBRONC
10-05-2007, 07:03 AM

I agree I think Selvin is more than capable of being carrying the load. Who knows maybe in the long run we'll be better off.

broncos9697
10-05-2007, 07:31 AM
They wont cut him until its economically feasible.

its a wating game to see if he gets suspended or not...I saw something about him sueing the league for taking drug test why is that ''random''...........why most or should say a lot of jobs are like that random drug test at any time without a notice my jobs like that been here for yeasr and have nevr had to take one but alot have........
so why's he sueing..............
and I think if he does get susupended for a year its with out pay right..then he can reinstate 60 days after he has served his time....then join the team again next season can the bronco's fine him or ask for singing bonas back how's this work

Tned
10-05-2007, 10:39 AM

Well, I hope SoCal is right, but that sure sounds like the very thing the CBA forbids.

Tned
10-05-2007, 10:42 AM
With Dale Carter, I remember the Broncos were actually awarded a refund of his prorated bonus money. The problem was that Carter then filed for bankruptcy claiming that he didn't have the money anymore. I can't remember what the salary cap ramifications were, though.

I couldn't remember all the details with Carter other than a year or two after he was gone them still referring to 'dead money' being tied up with him related to his suspension.

As for Henry, if he's guilty then he's a complete and utter moron.

This is very, very true and what I was thinking. Geez, these guys have all the time in the world to smoke dope or whatever other dumb things they want to do after their careers are over, but with millions on the line and knowing you are subject to testing, why would anyone try slip it through.

Nick
10-05-2007, 10:45 AM
We all know he is not the sharpest knife... I mean with around nine kids with all different women. So he saw that some one is going to put a banner for Ricky Williams and supporting the "safer" choice and thought it was ok because people support the "safer" choice in colorado... j/k

The lawsuit Henry filed in New York state court was intended to block the league from testing the "B" sample, which is used to confirm the positive result. ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports that Henry wanted to have his own expert present to monitor the testing of the "B" sample.

The last effort by Henry to avoid the inevitable. He'll be suspended for a year if the "B" sample confirms the preliminary positive result.

It probably wasn't too wise for Henry to antagonize the league by filing suit against it. When Henry's application for reinstatement gets the Ricky Williams treatment, it really shouldn't be all that surprising to anyone.

A different topic but it's not a performance-enhancing drug. They should not even mess with testing for this. Some people say because it is illegal but it is also legal... for instance I have cronic pains and have a percription and canibus identification card. If henry is taking a pounding out there and does not like how alot of otehr medicines make him feel... he should be able to take this.

Of course. The players need to follow the rules, or face the consequences.

If the "B" sample comes back positive, he only has one person to blame.

TXBRONC
10-05-2007, 11:27 AM
It's incredibly disappointing that Henry could be this stupid.

Medford Bronco
10-05-2007, 11:29 AM
It's incredibly disappointing that Henry could be this stupid.

tx you cant be suprised..9 kids with 9 women makes him a moron

also to know that you only needed to get through game 3 without failing a drug test and he is right on the line.

stupid stupid stupid moron

TXBRONC
10-05-2007, 11:36 AM
tx you cant be suprised..9 kids with 9 women makes him a moron

also to know that you only needed to get through game 3 without failing a drug test and he is right on the line.

stupid stupid stupid moron

No I'm not surprised at all. My dad always taught me to be prepared because will let you down many times.

I agree what Henry did shows him to be a stupid moron.

Astrass
10-05-2007, 12:30 PM
Ok ok, relax guys. He made mistakes, did stupid things but for now he's still a Bronco. Lets wait to see what happens before the angry mob goes after him.

Astrass
10-05-2007, 12:32 PM
Something else to remember, Travis Henry is struggling to pay child support for his 1,000,000 children.

Being out of a job could cause him alot of trouble.

I hope he does get in alot of trouble. Anyone as stupid as Travis Henry deserves trouble. Infact when someone does something stupid, they can always say " Atleast I didn't do a Travis Henry".

He risked everything, he took marijuana right before the test. :tsk:

I understand your anger but come on....let's be mature here. Knowing he has kids to support why would you wish him trouble? Who suffers here?

Retired_Member_001
10-05-2007, 01:00 PM
I understand your anger but come on....let's be mature here. Knowing he has kids to support why would you wish him trouble? Who suffers here?

When I mean trouble, I mean he's going to be in trouble with the childrens mothers.

:D

Krugan
10-05-2007, 01:06 PM
its a wating game to see if he gets suspended or not...I saw something about him sueing the league for taking drug test why is that ''random''...........why most or should say a lot of jobs are like that random drug test at any time without a notice my jobs like that been here for yeasr and have nevr had to take one but alot have........
so why's he sueing..............and I think if he does get susupended for a year its with out pay right..then he can reinstate 60 days after he has served his time....then join the team again next season can the bronco's fine him or ask for singing bonas back how's this work

I believe it has something to do with the way the test was given. from my understanding he is allowed to have a rep. there with him when test is given.
From asumption, there was no rep there, meening the test would have been given incorrectly.

Dont quote me on it, but I caught a small blurb on 950 about it, and this is what I took from that blurb.

BigBroncLove
10-05-2007, 01:14 PM
Well, I hope SoCal is right, but that sure sounds like the very thing the CBA forbids.

Yes, and right now the language of the contract that the RMN is reporting suggests that while the Broncos will withhold further bonuses and pursue a portion of what they have already paid, the CBA does forbid such stipulations in contracts.

Now the RMN may be posting what is actually mroe complicated language in the contract, that finds loopholes to keep bonus money promised to Henry, but does not specifically cite drug policy violations. The good news is that the CBa generally speaks about recouping money already paid to the player, not any additional funds that may be withheld from the player. This could be apples and oranger, or that might not matter at all, but if he is suspended for the year, I'll be interested to see how this plays out.

I do not think however that any bonus money withheld from Henry would effect how his contract applies to the cap penalty. However Shanahans comments make me wonder about this being his last chance, and what the Broncos will choose to do fiscally. I don't imagine Shanahan backing down, but I cna't see how they could suffer a cap penalty like Henry's without risking the inabilit to sign the player they want to retain this coming year (Dumerville, Marshall).

Question. If the Broncos wait till FA ends and the new NFL fiscal year begins (what is it, June 6th or 9th or something), does that reduce the cap penalty?

BigBroncLove
10-05-2007, 01:17 PM
I believe it has something to do with the way the test was given. from my understanding he is allowed to have a rep. there with him when test is given.
From asumption, there was no rep there, meening the test would have been given incorrectly.

Dont quote me on it, but I caught a small blurb on 950 about it, and this is what I took from that blurb.

Well that's the meat of it, but from what I've read, and htis is the NFL's side sicne HEnry's lawyer has not commented yet, but Henry wanted his own expert there. However terms of the CBA forbids a player from having an expert present who also works at the same facility, as Henry's expert did. The NFL therefore gave him a list of 10 additional experts that were independent of the testing facility, and Henry refused to use them.

PErhaps Henry's side of the arguement is different, but I have yet to read his...

topscribe
10-05-2007, 01:20 PM
Ok ok, relax guys. He made mistakes, did stupid things but for now he's still a Bronco. Lets wait to see what happens before the angry mob goes after him.

You don't understand the anger? After Carter/Quitterson/Gardener/Clarett et al.?

I just hope Thomas is watching all that, and shaking in his cleats at the consequences.

-----

Tned-Mobile
10-05-2007, 01:31 PM
Yes, and right now the language of the contract that the RMN is reporting suggests that while the Broncos will withhold further bonuses and pursue a portion of what they have already paid, the CBA does forbid such stipulations in contracts.

Now the RMN may be posting what is actually mroe complicated language in the contract, that finds loopholes to keep bonus money promised to Henry, but does not specifically cite drug policy violations. The good news is that the CBa generally speaks about recouping money already paid to the player, not any additional funds that may be withheld from the player. This could be apples and oranger, or that might not matter at all, but if he is suspended for the year, I'll be interested to see how this plays out.

I do not think however that any bonus money withheld from Henry would effect how his contract applies to the cap penalty. However Shanahans comments make me wonder about this being his last chance, and what the Broncos will choose to do fiscally. I don't imagine Shanahan backing down, but I cna't see how they could suffer a cap penalty like Henry's without risking the inabilit to sign the player they want to retain this coming year (Dumerville, Marshall).

Question. If the Broncos wait till FA ends and the new NFL fiscal year begins (what is it, June 6th or 9th or something), does that reduce the cap penalty?

Sorry, i am using my cell phone, so can't easily delete out all of your quote exceptr what i am responding too, because all I have to delete with this is a one letter at a time backspace.

Ok, to the June question. If they release him after June 1st, the they will get to spread the cap hit over two years. One third in '08 and two thirds in'09 (i might have those reversed).

Also, i think the CBA language about refunds has to do with hold outs, retirements and willful acts like riding a motorcycle (or other things that could result in off field injury and result in not being able to play), where as a suspension is different and intended to hurt the player and team to make teams think twice about certain players or institute team programs to prevent behavior like in cincy amd minn.

BigBroncLove
10-05-2007, 01:35 PM
Sorry, i am using my cell phone, so can't easily delete out all of your quote exceptr what i am responding too, because all I have to delete with this is a one letter at a time backspace.

Ok, to the June question. If they release him after June 1st, the they will get to spread the cap hit over two years. One third in '08 and two thirds in'09 (i might have those reversed).

This seems like the best option. BEsides the Broncos can be over the cap unti lJune 1st, release Henery and go back under the cap.

If Henry is cut, and given the strong words shanahan used back in MArch I think this will be the case, I think we'll see Henry cut at the Start of June next year with perhaps the Broncos looking to FA agains for help at RB, or another position of need if they find or believe they will find a worthwhile RB in the draft (where they might grab a DT or LB through FA insteaD).

Thanks tned. I know it isn't easy on your mobile to answer those questions on the blackberry.

Retired_Member_001
10-05-2007, 02:12 PM
You don't understand the anger? After Carter/Quitterson/Gardener/Clarett et al.?

I just hope Thomas is watching all that, and shaking in his cleats at the consequences.

-----

I definitley agree with that.

Marcus Thomas will see what affect drugs have on your proffesional football career, he will see the consequences. I really hope Marcus Thomas learns from these, although I do feel that Marcus Thomas has already learnt enough to stay away from drugs and other off-field incidents that a player could cause/ run into.

Retired_Member_001
10-05-2007, 02:14 PM

Also, i think the CBA language about refunds has to do with hold outs, retirements and willful acts like riding a motorcycle (or other things that could result in off field injury and result in not being able to play), where as a suspension is different and intended to hurt the player and team to make teams think twice about certain players or institute team programs to prevent behavior like in cincy amd minn.

Thanks very much for posting Tned, it must be very hard to reply with your mobile phone.

This really puts a big dent in our drafting situation, I was really hoping for an offensive lineman in the first round, but unless a VERY good running back pops up in FA, or on the trading block, I think we will end up drafting a running back in the first round.

topscribe
10-05-2007, 02:21 PM
Thanks very much for posting Tned, it must be very hard to reply with your mobile phone.

This really puts a big dent in our drafting situation, I was really hoping for an offensive lineman in the first round, but unless a VERY good running back pops up in FA, or on the trading block, I think we will end up drafting a running back in the first round.

Well, that might depend on how very good Young turns out to be. After all,
before his injuries and flunking out of school, he was once considered a future #1.
So maybe we will get a pleasant surprise out of him. [insert "crossing fingers" smilie]

-----

Retired_Member_001
10-05-2007, 02:25 PM
Well, that might depend on how very good Young turns out to be. After all,
before his injuries and flunking out of school, he was once considered a future #1.
So maybe we will get a pleasant surprise out of him. [insert "crossing fingers" smilie]

-----

Good point, but you always have to plan for the worse possible scenario.

;)

Tned-Mobile
10-05-2007, 02:54 PM

Mcfadden or Jones from Arkansas, depending on where we draft. They will both likely come out, although jones could stay to up his draft value starting as a senior without Mcfadden.

BigBroncLove
10-05-2007, 02:58 PM
Mcfadden or Jones from Arkansas, depending on where we draft. They will both likely come out, although jones could stay to up his draft value starting as a senior without Mcfadden.

McFadden is quite the player. If he comes out, which I agree he will, he is by far the most impressive IMO. However he wil lalnd high in the draft IMO, perhaps out of the reach of the Broncos depending on where this season heads...

Tned-Mobile
10-05-2007, 03:10 PM
McFadden is quite the player. If he comes out, which I agree he will, he is by far the most impressive IMO. However he wil lalnd high in the draft IMO, perhaps out of the reach of the Broncos depending on where this season heads...

I agree. However, some people had us drafting in the top 5 even before this henry news.

Denver Native (Carol)
10-05-2007, 03:22 PM

Mark Schlereth was on The Fan not long ago, and he said he has no idea how Henry will win his appeal. He stated that there is no reason for the test to not have been done correctly, as every time a player tests positive, it is just another black eye for the NFL.

dogfish
10-05-2007, 04:00 PM
guys. . . i see absolutely NO chance we come anywhere close to getting mcfadden, unless we mortgage future draft picks to do it-- we aren't THAT bad! no, we'll still have an average or better running game, a strong-armed QB with at least one playmaking WR and a reliable veteran slot, and an elite secondary. . . unless we have even more significant injuries, no way we're getting a top-five pick, and it's wishful thinking that anything less is going to get mcfadden. . . i know it's nice to identify the best player at his position and talk about getting him, but the odds against it are extremely long, just as they were for people talking about us getting reggie bush, mario williams, vernon davis, laron landry, calvin johnson or amobi okoye. . .

besides which, mcfadden can't help us stop the run. . . we've shown an impressive ability over the years to plug in relative nobodies and get good production, something we've been entirely incapable of doing in the defensive front seven. . . unless we grab an OT, i don't even see how anyone can justify talking about spending either of our first day picks next year on any other area-- barring major acquisitions in free agency, of course. . .

BigBroncLove
10-05-2007, 04:10 PM
guys. . . i see absolutely NO chance we come anywhere close to getting mcfadden, unless we mortgage future draft picks to do it-- we aren't THAT bad! no, we'll still have an average or better running game, a strong-armed QB with at least one playmaking WR and a reliable veteran slot, and an elite secondary. . . unless we have even more significant injuries, no way we're getting a top-five pick, and it's wishful thinking that anything less is going to get mcfadden. . . i know it's nice to identify the best player at his position and talk about getting him, but the odds against it are extremely long, just as they were for people talking about us getting reggie bush, mario williams, vernon davis, laron landry, calvin johnson or amobi okoye. . .

besides which, mcfadden can't help us stop the run. . . we've shown an impressive ability over the years to plug in relative nobodies and get good production, something we've been entirely incapable of doing in the defensive front seven. . . unless we grab an OT, i don't even see how anyone can justify talking about spending either of our first day picks next year on any other area-- barring major acquisitions in free agency, of course. . .

I know this, which is why I made comments about us not having a shot depending on how the season heads. However, just as I hope the season will end 10-6, it's just as possible the BRoncos go 5-11. The schedule has a lot of games that land either way. KC is stronger then people give them credit ,and so Oakland. SD is playing poorly but they have the talent to upset us. Pittsburgh, Green Bay, The Lions, even the Titans could make us pay with how we are playing the run. The Vikings as well. My point being that while I hope the Broncos can edge wins out of these, they could also just as likely be losses.

The west is a running division. Every team can do it well, now that OAkland seems to be the real deal, so everyone of htose games are up in the air.

So what I think seperates us from a top 10 pick and a playoff team is a thin line given our schedule. If we can shore thigns up, I agree, but theres jsut as much liklihood for the other side of hte coin. PErsonally I think the Broncos will land in the 10-6 range, maybe 9-7. However given Shanahans aggressive nature in the draft, if the Broncos landed in the top 10 and McFadden was in reach (Which I'm not saying he will be) I think it's completely fair to talk about it.

There will also be otpions for LB's in FA, and you all are already talking about DT's in the second. I don't think we are off base at all.... we were both sober in our evaluation of the Broncos ability to land McFadden IMO.

Tned
10-05-2007, 05:22 PM
Thanks tned. I know it isn't easy on your mobile to answer those questions on the blackberry.

Blackjack, actually, but probably pretty much the same as a Blackberry :D

TXBRONC
10-05-2007, 05:27 PM

If you follow Jr's line of thinking we'll only one more game this year.

rcsodak
10-05-2007, 06:25 PM

Aren't 'bonuses' considered guarantees? If so, then his roster bonus next year wouldn't kick in, for example.

What I've heard, is he's been paid about $2mil in guaranteed money so far. If he's suspended, they can cut him, and not lose anymore.

The only way they'll get shafted, is if shanny decides to cut him for embarrassing the team. Then he'll still get all of his guaranteed money.

I just can't see Shanny doing that. He'd trade him next year for a player/pick.

Uncle Buck
10-05-2007, 10:19 PM
Stupid idiot. :banghead:

I've always known he was an idiot, you can tell it when he is interviewed. He sounds like a 3 year old.

The idiot doesn't know what the hell a condom is, I'm suprised he even knows where "it" goes. Great example to your 1,000,000 children you don't even take care of, Travis.

Let's get all the cash we can get out of the idiot and leave him.

I'm very upset at Henry right now as you can tell.

He's the only player I know who's jersey number is the same as his IQ.

Funny post, Wookie (and sad, at the same time). We don't need players like this on the team, and I agree. Cut out the cancer and move on. Guess I never did get past the "nine kids in nine states" effect.

I'd rather lose with Young than win with Henry.

Tned
10-06-2007, 12:08 AM
http://community.myfoxcolorado.com/blogs/Denvr_Sports_Insider

UPDATE ON BRONCO RUNNING BACK TRAVIS HENRY’S SITUATION:
Oct 5, 2007 | 9:01 AM
Category: Sports

Report This Post
Featured On: MyFoxColorado The N.F.L source who broke the news to Fox31’s Josina Anderson that starting Bronco running back Travis Henry tested positive for marijuana, and is subject to a one year suspension now...had this to say in a short interview this morning:

Source: “Initially when Henry found out he tested positive for marijuana, and the league was trying to confirm the result with the testing of the B bottle, Henry had his own toxicologist set to witness the testing.” “The problem is Josina, Henry’s toxicologist had an affiliation with another lab, and the league doesn’t like that.” Henry’s toxicologist had a proprietary interest in the lab the league was testing his b sample in.” “That’s when Henry’s people tried to get the restraining order [September 20th] to block the league from moving forward when his original toxicologist was rejected.” “Now although the Suffolk Court [Suffolk County Supreme Court] granted Henry a restraining order against the league until a future hearing, to my knowledge the league went ahead and tested the B sample anyways even though another court ended up ruling in their favor.” “But Josina, Henry may get out of this because it is his collective bargaining agreement right to have his on toxicologist present, and now Henry can challenge that his sample was compromised.”

Josina: Since it’s not about what you know, it’s about what you can prove, how can Henry prove that the League tested his B sample without his toxicologist present?

Source: “Henry can say well who was my Toxicologist then…name him…show me a check that I used to pay my Toxicologist!”

Josina: So what’s going to happen here?

Source: “Well if your report didn’t come out, it’s possible the League knowing it has issues with the testing of the sample may have tried to bargain down with Henry and offer a 4 game or a 6 game suspension or something like that who knows!” “But, this could now be an all [1 year suspension] or nothing case with this technicality.” “But if the league can find a way to enforce this they will.” “It’s bad P.R. to let a player continue to play under these circumstances.”

Josina: Do you think the Commissioner [N.F.L Commissioner Roger Goodell] will find a way to circumvent this technicality?”

Source: “He shouldn’t the rules are pretty black and white on this.”

Reporter note: It is being reported now by a national website that Henry was scheduled to rotate out of the N.F.L’s program October 1st under their two year policy. In actuality it is possible for a player that’s in stage 3 of the program [that Henry moved into after his previous 4 game suspension in September of 2005 as a Tennessee Titan] to stay there for the life of their career. So it’s not always a guarantee that a player will or would have rotated out. There are subjective decisions that are made on the cases of players in the league program situation by situation that factor in as well.

Medford Bronco
10-06-2007, 12:13 AM

great post dogfish.

we need d linemean and also do not forget our LB crew aint what it used to be and our safetys are long in the tooth.

Rb is far from a priority here

Tned
10-09-2007, 03:43 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_7122870?source=rss

In addition to improper testing procedures, Henry is claiming the low levels of marijuana in his urine was due to the fact that it was second hand smoke. They are also reporting that Henry is will to provide hair samples and take a polygraph test to prove his innocence.

Reminiscent of Mike Anderson's claim that he tested positive due to second hand smoke.

Henry's legal team plots strategy
By Bruce Finley
The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 10/09/2007 12:12:37 AM MDT

The fight is on for the future of NFL star running back Travis Henry, whose lawyers strategized in New York on Monday while Henry and the rest of the Broncos took the day off.

Henry's legal team and opposing NFL lawyers met regarding the case involving allegations he may have flunked an NFL drug test last month - which could lead to his suspension just as he was about to be cleared after previous violations.

Henry is challenging the NFL's drug-testing program. He won an early restraining order in New York state court barring the NFL from completing his urine test, revealing the results and taking any action against him. NFL lawyers went to an appeals court to have that order vacated and now are trying to fight Henry's lawsuit in federal court.

"It's up to the non-moving party - in this case Travis Henry - to decide whether they want to oppose the removal to federal court. They haven't opposed the removal," NFL attorney Sean O'Donnell said Monday.

On Henry's side, attorney Steve Zissou said whether federal judges hear the case "remains to be seen." He declined comment on results of meetings Monday in New York, which included discussion of where the lawsuit should be handled. Zissou said, "There's going to be a reply."

His concern, he said, is that if the case is accepted in federal court, NFL attorneys then will move to have the lawsuit dismissed. NFL attorneys have argued the matter belongs in federal court because it involves interpretation of a collective bargaining agreement with the NFL players' union under federal law.

Henry is scheduled to be in Denver today, Zissou said. "Let's hope he'll be on the practice field," he said.

Henry's lawsuit contends the NFL violated its substance-abuse policy by not allowing his experts to be present for the testing of his urine. A possible defense for Henry is that his urine tested positive for low levels of marijuana because he was subjected to second-hand smoke.

Two NFL sources have confirmed Henry is willing to provide hair samples for testing in an attempt to prove his innocence. They said he is scheduled to take a polygraph test this week regarding whether he recently smoked marijuana. The Broncos have used lie detector tests on players in the past.

The offer to take that test "is not something I've advanced at the moment," Zissou said. "What we're doing is going to be confidential for the time being."

In August, Henry was the subject of a Georgia child-support court case in which it was disclosed he has fathered nine children with nine women. The Broncos signed him as a free agent this year, and he leads them in rushing with 498 yards in five games.

Bruce Finley: 303-954-1700 or bfinley@denverpost.com

TXBRONC
10-09-2007, 07:10 AM
I just don't think the second hand smoke defense going to fly.

Tned
10-09-2007, 12:08 PM
I just don't think the second hand smoke defense going to fly.

Mike Anderson tried it and still got a four game suspension.

topscribe
10-09-2007, 12:15 PM
I noticed that, true to journalist form, Finley snuck in Henry's mass-fathering
issue, as if it had anything to do with this one.

I just have my doubts they're going to buy this "second-hand" thing. Methinks
they had better give Young a lot of reps these next two weeks.

-----

underrated29
10-09-2007, 12:22 PM
ok, just to clear this up a little. he tested positive, but like OJ the evidence wasnt collected correctly or whatever so he will either:

A: get off the hook (my hopes)

B: have to take another test? (drink that niacin or vinagear or whatever to pass it travis)

C: goodell brings the hammer down and he is done (most likely?)

is that how everything has kinda played out?

topscribe
10-09-2007, 12:24 PM
ok, just to clear this up a little. he tested positive, but like OJ the evidence wasnt collected correctly or whatever so he will either:

A: get off the hook (my hopes)

B: have to take another test? (drink that niacin or vinagear or whatever to pass it travis)

C: goodell brings the hammer down and he is done (most likely?)

is that how everything has kinda played out?

Oh, the old "if it doesn't fit, you mist acquit" defense. :laugh:

-----

OB
10-09-2007, 12:52 PM
I wonder if I ever got tested if I could get away with the 2nd hand smoke trick :D

Actually i think I could quit for 6 mths and still test positive :eek: :laugh:

Give the hair sample and get it over and done with - if he is positive he is negative than it shouldnt be an issue for him to just pluck out that hair and say here - be my guest

This man needs to learn to keep tube shaped things OUT of places they should not be

SM19
10-09-2007, 01:28 PM
I wonder if I ever got tested if I could get away with the 2nd hand smoke trick :D

Never. You'd have to be stuck in a closet with a smoker for hours in order to test positive from second-hand smoke. :tongue:

silkamilkamonico
10-09-2007, 01:29 PM
Never. You'd have to be stuck in a closet with a smoker for hours in order to test positive from second-hand smoke. :tongue:

I disagree with that, especially considering there are relative numerous cases with cancer, and second hand smoking.

Both are an inhalation of somebody elses smoke.

topscribe
10-09-2007, 01:50 PM
I disagree with that, especially considering there are relative numerous cases with cancer, and second hand smoking.

Both are an inhalation of somebody elses smoke.

Well, that is a very controversial assumption, regarding smoking tobacco.

But I am not entirely familiar with second-hand M.J.

-----

OB
10-09-2007, 01:54 PM
Well I semi-remember (wonder why my memory is only partial ;) ) this same discussion when Mike Bell used this excuse - i think he got the 4 game suspension because its close to impossible to test positive for MJ just from being around it - given youre not in a van with me, cheech n chong :werd:

BigBroncLove
10-09-2007, 02:11 PM
Well I semi-remember (wonder why my memory is only partial ;) ) this same discussion when Mike Bell used this excuse - i think he got the 4 game suspension because its close to impossible to test positive for MJ just from being around it - given youre not in a van with me, cheech n chong :werd:

Mike Bell has never been suspended for any substance abuse. Last year was his first year in the NFL and he played the entire year. I think your thinking of Mike Anderson. But hey, short term memory loss is part of using a mood enhancer :D

HORSEPOWER 56
10-09-2007, 04:29 PM
The baseline for a positive marijuana test is above a "second hand smoke" level. You'd pretty much have to be around people who are smoking up frequently and be inhaling the second hand smoke on a regular basis to pop positive. This isn't a "I went to a party and folks were smoking a joint and I must've inhaled some inadvertantly" thing. That's why Mike Anderson's excuse was crap and why henry really can't use the same one.

I get drug tested randomly all the time at work (military) and I can tell you that second hand smoke (on a one time basis) will not get you to pop positive. If he is positive, either he's smoking up (probably on a regular basis) or he's around guys doing it ALL THE TIME and sitting there breathing it while they do it.

Joel
10-09-2007, 07:41 PM
Sounds like a great way to spend a Sunday to me, but then, I didn't enter week 6 as the Leagues leading rusher.... Too bad; hope Selvin Young can stay healthy and pick up the blitz, 'cos looking at our DTs it looks like we'd be depending on Cutler a lot even if we could keep Henry. As dubious as I am of the reliability of drug testing, as resistant as I am to their having any relevance to employment, things is how they is, and if Henrys appeal fails Shanny is almost obligated to cut him given the history of Moss and Thomas. Ignoring repeated positive drug tests tells them they don't have to pass theirs; sending the League leading rusher packing after yet another positive test sends them a much better message.

DenBronx
10-10-2007, 10:25 PM
anyone hear any news on the NFL.COM rumor about henry? broncorob posted it earlier and it said that the nfl wasnt or couldnt ban henry legally. he posted it then said the nfl took it down.

was this true or not?

TXBRONC
10-10-2007, 10:47 PM
anyone hear any news on the NFL.COM rumor about henry? broncorob posted it earlier and it said that the nfl wasnt or couldnt ban henry legally. he posted it then said the nfl took it down.

was this true or not?

I haven't heard.