PDA

View Full Version : Broncos C Wiegmann impressive in 13th season

DenBronx
12-06-2008, 03:00 PM
All I know is we really need to have this guy play at least 1 more year. Licht is going to take more time to develop at C and why not sit under one of the best? I love how this 13 yr vet has stepped up and played a major role this year.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/Whispers/2008/afcwest120608.htm

Dec. 6, 2008

Broncos C Casey Wiegmann
Whispers — AFC West

Close observers in Denver say C Casey Wiegmann has stood out in recent weeks, playing consistently well while doing something few have achieved this season — shutting down Jets NT Kris Jenkins in a Week 13 tilt. The 13th-year veteran considered retiring before the season, but it appears he has enough left in the tank for at least one more year after 2008. Sources say, though, that the Broncos envision rookie C-OG Kory Lichtensteiger, a fourth-round pick, as their future center, and he could take the reins at the position as early as next season.

G_Money
12-06-2008, 03:12 PM
All I know is we really need to have this guy play at least 1 more year. Licht is going to take more time to develop at C and why not sit under one of the best? I love how this 13 yr vet has stepped up and played a major role this year.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/Whispers/2008/afcwest120608.htm

Dec. 6, 2008

Broncos C Casey Wiegmann
Whispers — AFC West

Close observers in Denver say C Casey Wiegmann has stood out in recent weeks, playing consistently well while doing something few have achieved this season — shutting down Jets NT Kris Jenkins in a Week 13 tilt. The 13th-year veteran considered retiring before the season, but it appears he has enough left in the tank for at least one more year after 2008. Sources say, though, that the Broncos envision rookie C-OG Kory Lichtensteiger, a fourth-round pick, as their future center, and he could take the reins at the position as early as next season.

I've heard conflicting reports on this, some that Kory is Hamilton's replacement at guard, and some that the Broncos like him at center.

I have high hopes for him at center (hell, I wanted to draft him for that) but I could live with him at guard if we decided to draft one of the great centers in this draft.

I'm glad to hear we're believers in him, though. I like the job Wiegmann is doing, but he has maybe one year left in the tank, and we need a center of the future. Hopefully Lichtensteiger is it.

Either way we'll need an interior lineman of some stripe to start training to replace whichever "old guy" Kory doesn't replace.

And in the meantime it's been nice that Wiegmann has had enough left in the tank to give Kory some time to develop and keep Jay far cleaner than I thought he'd stay this year with 2 brand-new tackles and no Nalen.

Thanks for that, Casey. :salute:

~G

Timmy!
12-06-2008, 03:16 PM
Wiegmann has done a fine job this season. People are talking about Jenkins as a defensive POY candidate and Wiegmann OWNED him all game. I agree with G that we need another young interior lineman in the mix as well, but having Wiegmann as the starting C going into next season would be fine with me.

East Coast Fan
12-06-2008, 05:55 PM
Yeah he's done a really good job; we were lucky to have him around. Whatever happened to our center-of-the-future from a few seasons back, I believe it was Greg Eslinger?

nevcraw
12-06-2008, 08:06 PM
Yeah he's done a really good job; we were lucky to have him around. Whatever happened to our center-of-the-future from a few seasons back, I believe it was Greg Eslinger?

He's back with club on the PS after stints with clev. and houston.

Lonestar
12-06-2008, 08:14 PM
I personally want to get on with the youth movement the faster the better that way next year or the year after the old stud on the team is a 4th year guy Kuper..

Hamilton IMO is a liability and has played better this year but has been on roller skates on more than one occasion with the DT in jays space..

Nalen not sure if he is coming back. and as much Hype as Lichtensteiger has had the rap I heard on him was his short wingspan.. so may not be able to play C afterall..

What ever happens lets get this group going sooner than next year, if we can so them to mesh sooner..

Superchop 7
12-06-2008, 10:50 PM
I see no reason he can't play 2 more years.

He is playing the best ball of his life.

Split time with Lich, get him ready.

Save some wear and tear.

broncohead
12-06-2008, 11:35 PM
I see no reason he can't play 2 more years.

He is playing the best ball of his life.

Split time with Lich, get him ready.

Save some wear and tear.

That's not a good idea imo. Center is a crutial position because that position controlls the exchange to the QB. Chemistry would be way off if we rotate. Keep one starter unless they screw up. I'd like us to grab another guard personally. Some one like Kuper.

Lonestar
12-07-2008, 02:19 AM
That's not a good idea imo. Center is a crutial position because that position controlls the exchange to the QB. Chemistry would be way off if we rotate. Keep one starter unless they screw up. I'd like us to grab another guard personally. Some one like Kuper.

I'd like another mean and ugly junk yard dog type that takes no prisoners also. in the plus 305 range or more if they would fit into our system..

broncohead
12-07-2008, 10:30 AM
I'd like another mean and ugly junk yard dog type that takes no prisoners also. in the plus 305 range or more if they would fit into our system..

I agree. I really don't care how big our center is (at least 290) but I like bigger guards. Not huge fat asses but around 305-320.

Lonestar
12-07-2008, 11:56 AM
I agree. I really don't care how big our center is (at least 290) but I like bigger guards. Not huge fat asses but around 305-320.

I'd like a bigger center in the 305+ range also.. so we can blow out folks on that 3rd and 2 yards to go in the redzone that with have whiffed on for many years ..

I'm not talking big gut guys but those that are solid and not carrying extra weight for the sake of being heavy..

G_Money
12-07-2008, 01:47 PM
Lichtensteiger was I think 310 at the combine. He fits the bill.

We might wind up drafting another center, though, if one drops. As Dream has pointed out, the guard class is kinda weak. Parker from Tennessee would be a guy I would look at if we wanted to draft a guard, if he fell for some reason. Tennessee's year could cause him to fall, so he's on my list as an athletic guard who kills it in the run game - assuming his knee checks out.

Otherwise most of the guys to watch are hybrid G/Cs or just centers. Luckily Lichtensteiger should be able to be a combo too, so we can play him at either G or C depending on who we add in the draft.

Unger, Caldwell, Austin, Luigs... there are interesting options available. None of those guys are giants, but all of them are around Kuper's size, and can play guard or center.

They all happen to be good at their jobs, too. I love Unger, but I think he's gonna go too high. Luigs might somehow be a sleeper, even with his awards.

I wanted Kory BAD so I'm glad we got him, but I hope he's not too offended if we draft another guy for one of his positions. ;)

~G

Lonestar
12-07-2008, 01:56 PM
Lichtensteiger was I think 310 at the combine. He fits the bill.

We might wind up drafting another center, though, if one drops. As Dream has pointed out, the guard class is kinda weak. Parker from Tennessee would be a guy I would look at if we wanted to draft a guard, if he fell for some reason. Tennessee's year could cause him to fall, so he's on my list as an athletic guard who kills it in the run game - assuming his knee checks out.

Otherwise most of the guys to watch are hybrid G/Cs or just centers. Luckily Lichtensteiger should be able to be a combo too, so we can play him at either G or C depending on who we add in the draft.

Unger, Caldwell, Austin, Luigs... there are interesting options available. None of those guys are giants, but all of them are around Kuper's size, and can play guard or center.

They all happen to be good at their jobs, too. I love Unger, but I think he's gonna go too high. Luigs might somehow be a sleeper, even with his awards.

I wanted Kory BAD so I'm glad we got him, but I hope he's not too offended if we draft another guy for one of his positions. ;)

~G

What have you heard about his "short wingspan" that is the only rap I have heard about him..

I suspect his feelings will not be hurt that we draft backups or Hamilton's replacements.. If we did so on day one then he might get more nervous..

G_Money
12-07-2008, 02:50 PM
I don't care about that as much for a center. For a Tackle it can be a big deal, but you're not exactly trying to keep the guy away from you as a center - you're kinda up in his grill already anyway.

That's why centers have to be nasty. Kory is nasty. Eslinger was too passive, as was Myers to a lesser extent. Centers are the guys who break your fingers and punch you in the throat, while at least a couple of their own fingers are taped together because somebody busted theirs too.

If you aren't that guy, I probably don't want you in the middle of my OL. Arms can be an issue if the DT can throw you around before you can get your arms on him, and it also means you have to have real strength, since you'll be body-blocking more and not able to just hand-push to keep a guy off of you.

You'd think it would lead to more holding, but you could literally count the number of flags thrown on Kory in his college career on ONE hand. He was never penalized, he was never beaten to the QB, and he killed it in the run game.

Of course, he wasn't playing a lot of All-Pro talent at Bowling Green either.

But he understands how to use his body to get around the short-arm problem and he's a gym rat. He was also in a mostly-shotgun offense at BG, so he and Jay should be right on point with that.

I think he can play a very capable center for us. If we get an even better center in the draft somehow, he can also Ben-Hamilton it at guard for us, while being our backup center.

Though I would expect us to bring Wiegmann back if we get that better center, just to give the new guy time to adjust to our blocking scheme before he has to make the line calls and deal with all that. Throwing a brand-new center into the fire as a rookie is tough.

Which is why I'm fine with Kory basically red-shirting this year. ;)

~G