PDA

View Full Version : Moving the kickoff back to the 35

chris_rabz
09-08-2011, 09:22 PM
I haven't seen a thread about this elsewhere so sorry if I've missed it. I just can't believe how much they are continuing to change the game I love so much. The reason I got into this sport was the hitting, the passion, the fire. But the powers that be seem to be slowly draining all of that out.

This rule change is a perfect example. I remember it being from the 35 in the 90s but since every other kickoff resulted in a touchback it was a good move to have it from the 30 to suit the increasing leg strengths of kickers.

Now they've moved it back on safety grounds because the majority of injuries happen on kickoff returns. But just watching the Packers/Saints opener now and every kick has resulted in a touchback.

I understand the safety aspect, we do need to look after the players. But a huge kickoff return, or hit for the kickoff team, is the type of play that kickstarts a game, a season. Now we may aswell just start the game with the receiving team on their 20 because that is all that is ever going to result from a kickoff from the 35!

You can only tackle a certain way, they are now discouraging proper kickoffs... stop changing my game! :coffee:

BroncoTech
09-11-2011, 09:52 PM
So far 3 TD's on the KO so far this year, so the KO return is not as dead as predicted.

MOtorboat
09-11-2011, 10:05 PM
This has been blown way out of proportion. They used to tee it up from the 35...

AlWilsonizKING
09-12-2011, 10:44 AM
I noticed during the Cowgirls/ Jets game that the teams kept trying to run the ball out. Maybe the NFL is on to something here.

Now there is a choice. Take a knee and the ball on the 20 or try and run it out and risk being tackled short of the 20....which happened to be the case last night a few times. In the latter, you now have a longer field to cover for a TD.

It may not work too much here in the Mile High City due to the way the ball traveles out of the end zone but it's a thought...IMO

PEACE!!!

OrangeHoof
09-12-2011, 02:48 PM
It used to be a cardinal sin to run out a kickoff more than five yards deep in the end zone but I've seen it happen a lot this season. I don't know if it is because teams are still anxious to give their burners the ball or if they don't realize they gain 25 yards just by taking a knee.

I'd like to get deeper into the season before I conclude that kick returns are down or if they have made the game safer.

sneakers
09-18-2011, 04:41 AM
I don't care either way is fine.

JPPT1974
09-22-2011, 08:46 PM
Wonder if they will move it back to the 30-yard line or will be keep it at the 35-yard line. Also they use new kicking balls as the kickers and punters really don't like the new K balls. They have been using them since 1999.