PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Announce Team Captains

HORSEPOWER 56
09-08-2011, 04:48 PM
Via Facebook.

Coach Fox announced that the team has elected its captains for the 2011 season. Offense: Kyle Orton & Chris Kuper; Defense: Champ Bailey and Brian Dawkins; Special Teams: Wesley Woodyard. Additionally, the coaches will choose one gameday captain each week. For Week 1 vs. Oakland, the staff selected Elvis Dumervil.

Northman
09-08-2011, 04:51 PM
Go Horton Go!

Jsteve01
09-08-2011, 04:54 PM
Dear North,

Do you find it odd that much of the Broncos fan base thinks Orton is worthless but his teammates voted him a captain?

Northman
09-08-2011, 05:10 PM
Dear North,

Do you find it odd that much of the Broncos fan base thinks Orton is worthless but his teammates voted him a captain?

Meh, not really.

I think that Kyle is a very likeable guy honestly. Despite how average i may think he is he seems to be a guy of good character.

I dont know if its just me or what but i feel there is a trend starting where its basically becoming us vs them in terms of fans vs the players. Look back to Kyle's comments about who chooses the starting QB and then at Chris Johnson doing his little tweets about fans in Tenn but over the years it seems that there is this gap and division being created more between players and fans than the players themselves.

Could be just isolated incidents or maybe im just reading too much into it but to some degree i really dont think the players really care that much anymore for the game itself. Its becoming basically just a job to them so the passion isnt there like it is for the fans i feel. But, what do i know? Im just a 6.

Dirk
09-08-2011, 05:16 PM
Dear North,

I'm not speaking for North....but I think most times the team will vote their QB as captain. Would you want your QB going into the game thinking "F" them...they wouldn't even vote me captain. :coffee:

As you can tell by my adopted Broncos I support Orton and have since he was traded for....BUT I want to see Tebow play this year so we know if we need to go after the future QB in next years draft. To me...it is good business. Find out what you have and if it isn't good enough, go get what is.

Since Orton is the starter I am 100% behind him until he isn't.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-08-2011, 05:21 PM
To me - there is a trend now of fans vs players, which, in my opinion has been created by the fans, as fans do not want to accept that it is the coaches job to put the players on the field they feel are the best at their positions, vs the fans point of view of wanting the coaches to put the players they want on the field.

Lancane
09-08-2011, 05:24 PM
Dear North,

Not really, I've seen worthless quarterbacks given the captaincy many times before, Tavaris Jackson was named the captain in Seattle. Alex Smith was the captain for the 49ers last year. Sometimes captains are chosen simply because they have good attitudes or have a number of teammates who like them. I wouldn't be surprised if Orton was given the captaincy as sort of a sign of faith from the team since they know the fans don't support him. That's what happened when Campbell was named the captain in Washington a couple years back, because one of the players actually opened his mouth and admitted to it.

I don't think it means shit really, I've seen several unworthy individuals wear the 'C', especially at the quarterback position...Griese was a team captain in Denver as well.

Dirk
09-08-2011, 05:25 PM
To me - there is a trend fans vs players, which, in my opinion has been created by the v
fans, as fans do not want to accept that it is the coaches job to put the players on the field they feel are the best at their positions, vs the fans point of view of wanting the coaches to put the players they want on the field.

I agree to some degree. I think the divide happens because some teams won't admit when they are wrong about a player or players and the fans who watch the games can see X player sucks but the coaches and ownership are stuck because of $$.

Lancane
09-08-2011, 05:29 PM
To me - there is a trend now of fans vs players, which, in my opinion has been created by the fans, as fans do not want to accept that it is the coaches job to put the players on the field they feel are the best at their positions, vs the fans point of view of wanting the coaches to put the players they want on the field.

I wholly concur Carol, I think fans and players have long had a feud because we see them as playing a sport for a living and making money and that seems most important to them, while the coaches have only to go off who they think will help them win. We fans at times have a cruel standardization level and Orton doesn't meet the standards we hope for. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the players gave Orton the captaincy to sort of show the fans who they're supporting. But, if Orton wasn't on the roster I wouldn't be one bit surprised that whomever the starting quarterback was would likewise be named the captain.

Dzone
09-08-2011, 05:48 PM
Thats cuz Orton is a freakin leader, man!
Lets hope so!

cmc0605
09-08-2011, 06:04 PM
The issue of fans vs. players/coaches is just like "public debates" where random people think they know more than professionals (think in science, evolution or climate change wars). They don't. The ideas floating around that coaches are starting certain players simply because they don't want to pay another guy are no better than the conspiracy theorists who think that the scientific community makes up data to support the above theories.

But in football, fans like change and new things, especially at positions which aren't elite. They like first round picks and "sexy" names. Of course, Tim Tebow has not played better than Kyle Orton (and barely won the 2nd team spot, which was probably highly sensitive to his final preseason performance). People can hope that he magically transforms into a pro bowl franchise stud in the regular season, but there is no evidence that Tebow is yet ready to throw or play better than Orton, not to mention the differences in experience. He may never be. The reality is that most teams generally have spots where they need to be thinking "who is the best player here, even if it can be better in theory?" Just because Orton might not be ideal doesn't mean the alternatives will work out better. Many fans also are living in the mode that we are out of the playoffs, as we were when we tested Tebow late in the 2010 season. That might be what happens, but at 0-0 you need to play fresh and play the best players, and the people surrounding the QB (the WRs, etc) want the best guy next to them. Not the guy who sells more jerseys.

dogfish
09-08-2011, 06:16 PM
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/441/kyleorton.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/217/kyleorton.jpg/)

"Cool, now tell me something I didn't know six weeks ago. Damn, I could go for about a dozen shots right now!"

dogfish
09-08-2011, 06:19 PM
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/4563/chriskuperfd3.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/9/chriskuperfd3.jpg/)

anybody else think chris kuper looks kinda like BDB?

Dirk
09-08-2011, 06:27 PM
The issue of fans vs. players/coaches is just like "public debates" where random people think they know more than professionals (think in science, evolution or climate change.

Your analogy is flawed here.

Thinking in science terms as you mentioned....evolution is a THEORY and not proven. Climate Change is a THEORY and not proven.

Coaches can evaluate players better than we can....but fans can tell if someone is "elite", "average" or just plain sucks. :coffee:

SoCalImport
09-08-2011, 07:04 PM
if there's a widening divide between players and fans it's entirely due to this here www. How much more ability do we fans have to let the world (and there by players) know how we feel than we did 10/20/30 years ago?
Twitter/FB/Forums/feedback/mailbags/blogs........etc.

from the early days of the sport right up through the mid 90s (for some) the only way to let a play know how you felt about him was to buy a ticket and go to the game (yes there's always snail mail)

Denver Native (Carol)
09-08-2011, 07:13 PM
To me, when teams select their captains - that is strictly a team thing - not a fan thing. I DON'T care who the players select as their captains.

Agent of Orange
09-08-2011, 07:14 PM
pathetic

Dirk
09-08-2011, 07:30 PM
To me, when teams select their captains - that is strictly a team thing - not a fan thing. I DON'T care who the players select as their captains.

I agree...this is a PLAYER thing. Fans have nothing to do with it.

Northman
09-08-2011, 07:31 PM
I agree with Carol that the fans initiated the divide with the players. But i also understand that the fans are more emotionally involved with their teams as well. Like i said before, to them its just a job. To the fans its about the passion for the game.

NightTerror218
09-08-2011, 07:45 PM

And the coach is not always right....McDaniels go rid of several fan favorites who went on to become good. But there is a line between putting on the best and giving young players experience. I can see Fox putting in rookie if we are blowing out a team or getting blown out. McD kept starters in no matter what the whole time like the KC game.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-08-2011, 07:50 PM
Things that are public have fans - movie stars, singers, sports teams, etc. Heck, people even pick out their favorite channel to watch the local news on, because they prefer the newscasters. However, fans of anything are just that - fans - they do not run the show.

SoCalImport
09-08-2011, 08:01 PM
pathetic

you love it

Locnar
09-08-2011, 08:17 PM
Do people honestly believe this would be a fan thing? Of course it's the players. And the players have Ortons back. If you look around the offense who else is worthy of being called captain? In my eyes there really isn't a captain on the team. You could rock paper scissors for it and it wouldn't matter..

Agent of Orange
09-08-2011, 08:26 PM
Do people honestly believe this would be a fan thing? Of course it's the players. And the players have Ortons back. If you look around the offense who else is worthy of being called captain? In my eyes there really isn't a captain on the team. You could rock paper scissors for it and it wouldn't matter..

Its just that it's telling. It's no wonder the team has been floundering for so long. Look at who these losers gravitate towards.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-08-2011, 08:33 PM
Its just that it's telling. It's no wonder the team has been floundering for so long. Look at who these losers gravitate towards.

when you say floundering for so long, equate that to a time period.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-08-2011, 08:40 PM
Why wouldn't Orton be a Captain? Name a QB on any team (who's not a rookie) that isn't a captain? Of course he's a captain, he's the starting QB. It means nothing.

I'm pleasantly surprised by the Kuper pick. He's played extremely well in the preseason and I think he deserves it.

vandammage13
09-09-2011, 12:28 PM
Via Facebook.

Coach Fox announced that the team has elected its captains for the 2011 season. Offense: Kyle Orton & Chris Kuper; Defense: Champ Bailey and Brian Dawkins; Special Teams: Wesley Woodyard. Additionally, the coaches will choose one gameday captain each week. For Week 1 vs. Oakland, the staff selected Elvis Dumervil.

So we have two captains that probably will lose their starting spot at some point this year...

Timmy!
09-09-2011, 03:32 PM
pretty obvious picks if u ask me. :shrugs:

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums