PDA

View Full Version : Can Marcus Thomas get better with added weight?

Nature Boy
12-05-2008, 11:01 PM
When a defense has trouble in running game, the 1st thing I look at is play from the DT position.

Marcus Thomas is listed at 6'3'' and 305lbs. Am I the only one that thinks 305lbs is a little light for an NFL DT? especially considering that Marcus Thomas is fairly tall at 6'3'', where leverage is most important when playing DT.

San Diego's Jamal Williams, DT is 6'3'' and 348lbs and is a total beast in the trenches.

Minnesota's Pat Williams, DT is 6'3'' and listed at 317lbs but if you've seen him lately, Pat Williams is not a donut under 330lbs. He's more like 350lbs after a trip to local Hometown Buffet.

I don't have the stats but I believe the Broncos starting D-Line is the lightest in the league. Our starting DEs, Engleburger and Doomerville aren't exactly giants and definitely not run stuffers like Trevor Pryce was.

At the end of the season when Mike Shanahan goes to address the defense, particularly the run defense, I don't think Coach has to ponder whether it's the D-Coordinator, the scheme or base formation of 4-3/3-4 that is the problem. The problem is personnel. The Broncos do not have the players on that D-line to be great, particularly against the run.

I'm not saying that if Marcus Thomas gets up to 350lbs that all our problems at run defense will fixed, but it's definitely a start. As athletic as he is, I think that the added weight will not slow him down at all.

Can you imagine a 350lb man doing a back flip?

NameUsedBefore
12-05-2008, 11:14 PM
I think a few more pounds could help, but sometimes it's just physical ability. Albert Haynesworth is 6'6" and clocks in around 320. That's big, but it's not like 350-big, and Haynesworth is by far and away the best DT in the league.

Requiem / The Dagda
12-05-2008, 11:26 PM
I think if Marcus Thomas had players worth a damn next to him, he'd be doing much better than he is. In reality, he's still a very young player (is he still just 22?) with relatively little experience compared to other people at the position. IMHO, he's done well this year all things considered and seems to be a lot more active in comparison to last year when he hit the rookie wall at around Week 10. Consistency is key, and if the Broncos can get some difference makers around him (at the end position) who can draw double teams -- I think you'll see Thomas make a lot more plays.

G_Money
12-05-2008, 11:35 PM
Giants DTs:

Cofield - 6'4, 306 lbs.
Robbins - 6'4, 317 lbs
Clark - 6'3, 309 lbs.
Douzable - 6'4, 305 lbs.
Alford - 6'3, 304 lbs

The greatest defense in all the land doesn't have one DT significantly bigger than Thomas. Almost all of them are the same size.

As Schlereth said, bigger isn't better. Better is better.

Still, Thomas could put on more weight if we wanted him to - he weighed more in college than he does now.

But his problem isn't his size, it's how we're using him. He was a penetrating Sapp-like player in college, and we have him playing pattycake with his man instead.

Fixing how we're using him (and getting better complementary players) would mean more to our D than having him fatten up so he can be slower at getting to the ball carrier currently running over Dumervil.

~G

Nature Boy
12-05-2008, 11:45 PM
I think if Marcus Thomas had players worth a damn next to him, he'd be doing much better than he is. In reality, he's still a very young player (is he still just 22?) with relatively little experience compared to other people at the position.

Marcus Thomas would definitely look better playing besides a pro-bowl DT, but so would everyone else.

Put Pat Williams next to Marcus Thomas and all we'll hear is Pat Williams' name.

That was why I started this thread. The Broncos need a big FAT stud DT. One that couldn't be moved with a snow plow if the player decides to sit on his arse.

Marcus Thomas is very young. Most men don't fill their body's weight and strength potential until at least 23 years old. That is why football players can't skip college and jump straight into the pros like in basketball. A 27 year old would almost always smack a 22 year old if the 2 are relative in size and build.

A 27 yr old Marcus Thomas would put the smack down on a 22 yr old Marcus Thomas in a heart beat.

Here's hoping Marcus Thomas will be the monstrous 350lb immovable stud DT that the Broncos so desperately need in years to come.

Nature Boy
12-05-2008, 11:59 PM
Giants DTs:

Cofield - 6'4, 306 lbs.
Robbins - 6'4, 317 lbs
Clark - 6'3, 309 lbs.
Douzable - 6'4, 305 lbs.
Alford - 6'3, 304 lbs

The greatest defense in all the land doesn't have one DT significantly bigger than Thomas. Almost all of them are the same size.

~G

The Giants are a great defense no doubt, particularly when going after the QB.

With that said, not 1 of the 5 Giants DTs you listed above is in the same caliber of Pat Williams or Jamal Williams. Both fatties that require double teams on every single play and they still get to the ball.

So instead of pointing out the Giants skinny DTs, you might wanna start naming the best DTs in the league and their sizes.

The best DTs in the league are modestly listed at at least 325lbs.

G_Money
12-06-2008, 12:02 AM
Why can't he be a 315 pound monster against the run who can also rush the passer?

That's theoretically more his style anyway.

He does fine against the run. When it's on him, in short yardage, we've been pretty good. Earlier this year the LBs were letting him down and he wasn't playing particularly well but for the last 6 weeks? He's been fine at run-stopping without stuffing his shorts full of lead weights.

Warren Sapp could play at anything from 280ish to 330. Thomas is probably the same. Give him a DC who wants his DL to be more than gigantic man-shaped paperweights and he might be able to grow into that.

Or I guess we could just feed him 7 meals a day until he gains that 50 pounds you want. Watching what Wiegmann did to Kris Jenkins makes me think the extra 50 pounds doesn't matter as much as how you play against the man opposite you, but maybe that's just me.

It doesn't get a lot better than Jenkins, but size and heart are two different things. I still remember Gilbert Brown gasping for breath and begging for mercy as Nalen turned him into a soup ladle in the Super Bowl.

Can we make Marcus into the great DT he could be taught to be first, and then worry about what weight we want he to be great at?

The great thing about him is that he can be a run-stopper, or a pass-rusher, or both. Having him eat until he can only do one thing doesn't seem like the best use of him, especially not to cover up our inability to get the best out of his multi-faceted skillset.

~G

G_Money
12-06-2008, 12:08 AM
The Giants are a great defense no doubt, particularly when going after the QB.

With that said, not 1 of the 5 Giants DTs you listed above is in the same caliber of Pat Williams or Jamal Williams. Both fatties that require double teams on every single play and they still get to the ball.

So instead of pointing out the Giants skinny DTs, you might wanna start naming the best DTs in the league and their sizes.

The best DTs in the league are modestly listed at at least 325lbs.

But the best D in the land doesn't require two incredibly awesome DTs to properly function.

Like I said, Jenkins IS in the Williams class, and he got manhandled by a 280 pound center, mano-a-mano. Maybe he just had a bad game.

Gilbert Brown got owned by Nalen. Trevor Pryce was never 330 lbs and was a monster when he wanted to be.

Bigger gives advantages in certain areas, but it is not a default setting for greatness. I think Thomas can gain weight and still be good. I don't think I'd want him to gain 50 lbs, but we could find out if we had to.

I still hope we don't have to, and we can let him do everything he has the potential to do. Maybe he could do all that AND be 350 lbs. We wouldn't know what to do with a Jenkins or a Williams right now anyway though, so even if Marcus could pull it off it's not my pressing concern.

And I sure don't want to go messing around with him before we figure out what our D is gonna be (I know, probably Slowik, but a man can still dream over the offseason).

~G

TXBRONC
12-06-2008, 12:53 AM
If I'm not mistaken the idea was to have a small but quick defense so from that stand point he's not to small.

Gamechanger
12-06-2008, 01:01 AM
"good" defensive tackles come a dime a dozen, those who can stuff the run, rush a passer, and still draw double teams no matter what their size is

in actuality, a defensive tackle doesn't need to be a 360 lb. whopper with cheese to be dominant

examples: look at Richard Seymour (Height: 6-6 Weight: 310) who, in theory, would be a 4-3 DT because he played one in college, he isn't a "fat" guy at all but still would demand a double teams because of his power to stop a runner cold and rush the passer

Tommie Harris (Height: 6-3 Weight: 295), when healthy, can eat a block, and is showing shades of Warren Sapp playing the three technique

Mike Patterson (Height: 6-0 Weight: 292) is an undersized DT but he domiates in Philly's trenches and plays the nose, which is over the center

these guys don't play with bulk of Jamal Williams or Pat Williams but very much hold their own

and tbh neither Pat or Jamal Williams have shit on Maake Kemoeatu or Haloti Ngata, jmo

Nature Boy
12-06-2008, 01:09 AM
Warren Sapp could play at anything from 280ish to 330. ... Watching what Wiegmann did to Kris Jenkins makes me think the extra 50 pounds doesn't matter as much as how you play against the man opposite you, but maybe that's just me.

It doesn't get a lot better than Jenkins, but size and heart are two different things. I still remember Gilbert Brown gasping for breath and begging for mercy as Nalen turned him into a soup ladle in the Super Bowl.

~G

But the best D in the land doesn't require two incredibly awesome DTs to properly function.

Like I said, Jenkins IS in the Williams class, and he got manhandled by a 280 pound center, mano-a-mano. Maybe he just had a bad game.

Gilbert Brown got owned by Nalen. Trevor Pryce was never 330 lbs and was a monster when he wanted to be.

~G

Firstly and once again you type way too much. I highlighted what I think are the important parts.

Warren Sapp played at 290lbs+/-. he was never 330lbs. Sapp is listed at 6'2'' on paper but he really is barely 6'1''. In fact, at the start of the 2007 season, Sapp got down to 260-265lbs, but he was playing DE in a 3-4 base.

Weigman on Jenkins, Nalen on Gilbert Brown, it happens. There is this thing called double teaming where the center and guard doubles up on the DT. Also when you're playing the Broncos and their ZBS where the faster and nimbler Olineman will stretch out wide, making it difficult for a 350lb DT to slide along to the point of attack.

If you are telling me that the horrendous run defense we're seeing this year has nothing to do with D. Robertson(bummed knee) and M. Thomas, 2 DTs weighing at a measly 305lbs, then you're probably not paying attention.

Name the top 10 best DTs the last few years and you'll see that the over whelming majority of them are at least 325lbs and that's listing their weights modestly.

Oh and nobody said Trevor Pryce was 330lbs, only you did.

CrazyHorse
12-06-2008, 01:12 AM
Only if it's muscle. Yeah. 50 more Lbs of pure muscle!!

Nature Boy
12-06-2008, 01:16 AM
"good" defensive tackles come a dime a dozen, those who can stuff the run, rush a passer, and still draw double teams no matter what their size is

in actuality, a defensive tackle doesn't need to be a 360 lb. whopper with cheese to be dominant

examples: look at Richard Seymour (Height: 6-6 Weight: 310) who, in theory, would be a 4-3 DT because he played one in college, he isn't a "fat" guy at all but still would demand a double teams because of his power to stop a runner cold and rush the passer

Tommie Harris (Height: 6-3 Weight: 295), when healthy, can eat a block, and is showing shades of Warren Sapp playing the three technique

Mike Patterson (Height: 6-0 Weight: 292) is an undersized DT but he domiates in Philly's trenches and plays the nose, which is over the center

these guys don't play with bulk of Jamal Williams or Pat Williams but very much hold their own

and tbh neither Pat or Jamal Williams have shit on Maake Kemoeatu or Haloti Ngata, jmo

Yea, you can name a couple barely above average DTs that are under the 325lb range but I can name a lot more and better DTs that are in the 325-250lb range.

Oh and Haloti Ngata is 345lbs by the way.

Nature Boy
12-06-2008, 01:26 AM
Only if it's muscle. Yeah. 50 more Lbs of pure muscle!!

Oh of course I'm talking about mostly muscle, but some belly bulge is needed to keep the player anchored to the ground.

But G. Money would have you believe that I'm talking about 30-40lbs of Big Macs and Whoppers to prove his points.

Nature Boy
12-06-2008, 01:32 AM
If I'm not mistaken the idea was to have a small but quick defense so from that stand point he's not to small.

So how is the idea of small and quick defense looking so far? Not very good is it? Especially against the run. Hence why I started this thread because the Broncos D-linemen are way too small to move the pile in the direction of choice.

So from this standpoint, the standpoint of a small and quick Defense has been a failure.

Small and quick Lineman only works on Offense, not defense.

rcsodak
12-06-2008, 01:40 AM
When a defense has trouble in running game, the 1st thing I look at is play from the DT position.

Marcus Thomas is listed at 6'3'' and 305lbs. Am I the only one that thinks 305lbs is a little light for an NFL DT? especially considering that Marcus Thomas is fairly tall at 6'3'', where leverage is most important when playing DT.

San Diego's Jamal Williams, DT is 6'3'' and 348lbs and is a total beast in the trenches.

Minnesota's Pat Williams, DT is 6'3'' and listed at 317lbs but if you've seen him lately, Pat Williams is not a donut under 330lbs. He's more like 350lbs after a trip to local Hometown Buffet.

I don't have the stats but I believe the Broncos starting D-Line is the lightest in the league. Our starting DEs, Engleburger and Doomerville aren't exactly giants and definitely not run stuffers like Trevor Pryce was.

At the end of the season when Mike Shanahan goes to address the defense, particularly the run defense, I don't think Coach has to ponder whether it's the D-Coordinator, the scheme or base formation of 4-3/3-4 that is the problem. The problem is personnel. The Broncos do not have the players on that D-line to be great, particularly against the run.

I'm not saying that if Marcus Thomas gets up to 350lbs that all our problems at run defense will fixed, but it's definitely a start. As athletic as he is, I think that the added weight will not slow him down at all.

Can you imagine a 350lb man doing a back flip?

Sometimes, when I read your posts, it's like you just became cognizant of Bronco football. :confused:

Denver has ALWAYS been one of the lightest on the Dline! Even back when they were running the 3-4. The nose tackle weighed what fullbacks weigh today.

And if you do some searching, you'll find that Indy is the lightest in the league, and that denver's Dline is about in the middle, within a pound of the league average.

It doesn't take weight to be good....just look at the Olines during Shanny's tenure. It's having guys that play as schemed, making the right reads and tackling. They might now win battles in short yardage, but they will outquick most Olines.

It'd be nice to have 350# Dlinemen that run 5.0's, but they're few/far between.

topscribe
12-06-2008, 01:56 AM
Marcus Thomas won't get better with added weight. He will get better with
added experience. Thomas is in his second year. DTs do not usually blossom
until at least their third year. This is in addition to his not playing during his
senior year.

When we expect our players to be All-World, we too often forget that they
have to gain some experience first. Clady and Royal are absolutely wonderful
exceptions, but most rookies have a learning curve. We see that in Cutler,
who is effectively entering his third year; in Kuper, who has allowed no sacks
this year but was yanked clear out of the starting lineup a year-and-a-half
ago because he could not stop a mediocre pass rusher; and in Marshall, who
is just now learning to impose his will on defenders.

IMO, we have some fine young talent on defense in Thomas, Dumervil, Moss,
Crowder, Larsen, Woodyard, Barrett, and Jack Williams, but we have to
remember they have not been playing pro ball for very long, and they are
going to make mistakes, sometimes bad mistakes. And most of them will not
blossom for a while.

Therefore, I have few worries about Thomas.

-----

Gamechanger
12-06-2008, 02:03 AM
Yea, you can name a couple barely above average DTs that are under the 325lb range but I can name a lot more and better DTs that are in the 325-250lb range..

ok, name them

Oh and Haloti Ngata is 345lbs by the way.

i know that, but he's head and shoulders better than Jamal and Pat Williams jmho

Superchop 7
12-06-2008, 02:21 AM
My idea of DT is a 555 lb sumo wrestler.

Without the sumo uniform.

topscribe
12-06-2008, 02:26 AM
My idea of DT is a 555 lb sumo wrestler.

Without the sumo uniform.

All nekkid and everything?? :eek:

-----

bengaaaaals1688
12-06-2008, 02:45 AM
ok, name them

i know that, but he's head and shoulders better than Jamal and Pat Williams jmho

Jamaal Williams is quite possibly the best DT in the league. The way he can move, to go with his strength, is just unheard of, especially at his size.

Besides, Ngata is technically a DE who slides into DT when he is needed or when the scheme asks him to.

Gamechanger
12-06-2008, 02:59 AM
Jamaal Williams is quite possibly the best DT in the league. The way he can move, to go with his strength, is just unheard of, especially at his size.

Besides, Ngata is technically a DE who slides into DT when he is needed or when the scheme asks him to.

technically Jamaal is a Nose Tackle, but to a certain extent I would agree with that and yes, he has great moves and probably the only motivated charger on that defense; however at the same time, it has been shown that lately, he can also easily be played out of position in even running plays up the middle, Jeff Saturday proved that, also you will see him being spelled out in obvious passing downs, understandable for a man his size but he is shown to no longer be an every down defensive tackle

actually IIRC Ngata was a DT in college but was fast and versitle to play all sides on the defensive line, he's also listed as a Nose Tackle, and probably one of the better ones at this stage of his career

fcspikeit
12-06-2008, 03:06 AM
Is this meant to be a question? :confused:

Why didn't you name the thread, "Marcus Thomas has to add weight to get better!"

The way the thread is worded it makes it sound like you want to have a discussion about the topic. It's pretty clear your mind is already made up.

Beings it is formed as a question, my answer is, who knows? He might get better, but he could get worse. One thing is for sure, for every 350 pound stud DT there is a 350 pound lazy pile of crap. You make it sound like all you need is weight to be a good DT. That simply isn't true.

If he can put on weight and keep his speed and quickness, why not? I say the bigger the better. But him putting on weight just to be heaver at the expense of his skill, would be going in the wrong direction..

dogfish
12-06-2008, 03:11 AM
tampa bay is in the top ten in run defense in both total yards allowed and yards per rush, and best in the league in rushing TDs allowed, and their starting DTs are 296 and 285. . .

:coffee:

philly's top ten in all three categories with starting DTs at 292 and 306-- chicago's top ten in yards and average with starting DTs at 295 and 303. . .

scheme, coaching, talent, technique and motivation >>> size

marcus thomas is fine. . . our run defense needs linebackers that can find the proper gaps and safeties that can make tackles more than fat linemen. . . not that i wouldn't take bj raji in a heartbeat, though. . . .

bengaaaaals1688
12-06-2008, 03:27 AM
technically Jamaal is a Nose Tackle, but to a certain extent I would agree with that and yes, he has great moves and probably the only motivated charger on that defense; however at the same time, it has been shown that lately, he can also easily be played out of position in even running plays up the middle, Jeff Saturday proved that, also you will see him being spelled out in obvious passing downs, understandable for a man his size but he is shown to no longer be an every down defensive tackle

actually IIRC Ngata was a DT in college but was fast and versitle to play all sides on the defensive line, he's also listed as a Nose Tackle, and probably one of the better ones at this stage of his career

Even the best DT can be beaten and put somewhere he doesn't want to me sometimes. It just doesn't happen often to the elite ones. It's odd to think that he is taken out on passing downs, he is one of the better pass rushing DT's in the league.

Ngata is listed as a DE, you can check nfl.com or the Ravens official website. He is a DE on most plays, but when they drop Suggs down to DE rather than LB they move Ngata inside for their "4-3" look.

WARHORSE
12-06-2008, 06:51 AM
I agree with Top. Experience is what will make him better, along with functional strength.

shank
12-06-2008, 07:57 AM
Firstly and once again you type way too much.

how dare you. G knows, not to mention the hypocrisy. ****.

slim
12-06-2008, 10:10 AM
So how is the idea of small and quick defense looking so far? Not very good is it? Especially against the run. Hence why I started this thread because the Broncos D-linemen are way too small to move the pile in the direction of choice.

So from this standpoint, the standpoint of a small and quick Defense has been a failure.

Small and quick Lineman only works on Offense, not defense.

Good point. The D was much better last year when we had that fat POS Sam Adams playing.

haroldthebarrel
12-06-2008, 10:19 AM
I find these kind of threads strange. Apparently it is an open question but the arguments you present Nature Boy make me think you have already made up your opinion.
And why couldnt you just say that in the beginning of the thread instead of baiting?

As for your arguement. Yes, basic physics say that bigger and as fast create more force.
And more mass needs more energy to push away.
But human physiology often make a bigger man less fast, and more prone to getting tired.
We have always played a one gap structure as I can remember beside last year where Bates wanted bigger tackles to occupy the two gaps around them.
If Thomas can get bigger and have the same speed, quickness and not tire significantly more, your argument is great. If not, your argument is moot.
And that is basically all there is to it.

gobroncsnv
12-06-2008, 11:08 AM
I agree with Top. Experience is what will make him better, along with functional strength.

I don't think anyone is intending to remove the possibility of him having better neighbors to go with him, be it getting different, better players, or having the current players become different, as in better.

Right now, it's pretty clear that Engleberger is a better DE for running plays (we don't have a lineman who's better in backside pursuit), and Elvis is more a passing down player. Would love to see one of them become both of them.

Is Moss coming around? Appears to be so, but he has a ways to go.

EE is "kind of" good at both run and pass, but not nearly with the quality that I'd love to see, and he's also closer to the end than the beginning of his playing days. He also should know better about holding his edge on end-arounds. Had Cotchery not muffed that lateral last weekend, might have been a 14 point swing in that game, because we had ZERO contain on his side, and OC's have recognized that weakness.

Robertson? Kind of reminds me of Mike Leach, except, in Leach's case, you don't WANT to hear his name called on a play. With Robertson, you wish you'd hear his name more. His best game was against Gang Green last week.

Obviously, this thread is evidence we think that Thomas needs to improve, and I think he can, certainly with more experience, above all. BUT, we need to get over our pattern of only having a couple (if that) of good Dlinemen on the field at a time. Maybe I've said this before, but our team's largest problem right now is the need to improve up front on D. The best defenses in the league don't have our issues/needs in the trenches.

Lonestar
12-06-2008, 12:08 PM
until we make up our mind on who the next scheme makers is this is all moot..

Would I love to have one of the aforementioned DT next to Thomas when Robertsons knee are totally gone .. Absolutely but great DT are very hard to come by .. teams rarely allow them to get away once they do find them.. Hanesworth being the only one I can remember allowed to stray in the past 5-8 years or so..

I think Thomas could easily put on 5-12 pounds of muscle and that would not hurt the kid in speed or quickness.... I'd much rather turn him lose to penetrate every so often than just keep him back on the farm so to speak..

but then we would need a couple more "COMPLETE" DE's also..

DLINE and safety seem to be the uber weakness of this team once we get past poor scheme and coaching..

BroncoWave
12-06-2008, 12:48 PM
Bigger isn't always better! :D

http://media.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/content/img/photos/2007/12/05/435681940_t220.jpg

gobroncsnv
12-06-2008, 01:18 PM
I'd much rather turn him lose to penetrate every so often than just keep him back on the farm so to speak..

but then we would need a couple more "COMPLETE" DE's also..

Quite frankly, I agree, the best D's are those that attack. I DETEST "bend, don't break". Leads to the weight of the time of possession scale not being in our favor, and keeps our offense on the bench. Pretty much the worst thing you can do if you're in need of a good comeback. I just don't think we have the guys who can pull that off, whether or not someone directed them to do so. EITHER way, nobody on the boards, from what I can see, thinks our current D gets us to the promised land.

Man, this could go on forever, couldn't it?

G_Money
12-06-2008, 01:19 PM
Seriously, Ric Flair, why even start threads if you don't want to talk about it?

If you think the only possible way you can be a great DT is to be 350 pounds, then you're right: Thomas will have to add 40 pounds to be able to be great, since that's a minimum entry weight to greatness.

Are there great, huge 350 pound DTs? Yes.

Are there great DTs who are 300-320? Yes. Sapp was one. Marcus Stroud is another. Haynesworth isn't 350. Tommie Harris can play and he's barely 300.

If you like the Williamses better than Haynesworth and Stroud, okay, but there's at least a discussion to be had there.

Teams with giant 350 pound stud DTs play a certain way. If you have one of those guys you can play that way.

Teams with 310 pound stud DTs play a different way. It's not a WORSE way, just a different way.

If we added Mount Cody in the draft, I would instantly consider a serious move to a 3-4. That kid is a monster and he's barely out of Ju-Co.

If we added BJ Raji at his new, slimmer - and HELLACIOUSLY effective - 325ish pounds, I would just add 15 pounds back onto Thomas and let them kill it at that weight rather than plumping both of them back up. Raji played at 360ish and 325. IMO he's better at 325. We could try Marcus out at 350, but I have my suspicions he'd be better at 310-320.

Find out what size/weight/strength combo makes Thomas the best player and then play him there. His weight is not our problem. He's not getting overpowered at the point of attack. In short-yardage he's actually fairly immovable. Our problem earlier in the season was that the LBs were terrible at gap responsibility. Once the gap responsibility improved, our run D improved.

We're not GREAT at it, but I still think that's partly scheme. The G-Men used 4 DEs to play the line at times, because they wanted pressure on the QB and they felt like their LBs could fix whatever problems that might cause in run defense.

It's not size. If Marcus needed to be stronger and was a 300 pound starving man, I could see it, but he's not. He's strong. If you want him to be more effective, well, so do I. But he's not meant to be Ngata. That's not his skillset, and however much you want it to be his skillset it's not what he's been shown to be effective at either in college or the pros.

Some DTs are roadblocks, immovable anchors. Thomas is an up-the-field DT that we've asked not to go up the field, and that's where the problem starts - not with what the scale says.

~G

PS - I hope that was long enough.

frauschieze
12-06-2008, 01:19 PM
Robertson? Kind of reminds me of Mike Leach, except, in Leach's case, you don't WANT to hear his name called on a play. With Robertson, you wish you'd hear his name more. His best game was against Gang Green last week.

I'm confused as to what you're saying here. What do you think of Mike Leach?

*crouches in the corner, ready to pounce if necessary*

claymore
12-06-2008, 01:20 PM
I love you G. With all my heart.

claymore
12-06-2008, 01:20 PM

He is a douche bag IMO. :noidea:

frauschieze
12-06-2008, 01:25 PM
He is a douche bag IMO. :noidea:

I will throttle you then kick your ass in laser tag, instigator. Best tread carefully.

claymore
12-06-2008, 01:27 PM
I will throttle you then kick your ass in laser tag, instigator. Best tread carefully.

After I get done taking a dump on this leach poster, Im getting in my wonder woman plane flying up there. I will procede to kick your ass in lasertag..... And follow it up with a thumbwar which will alos result with a Frau ass kicking. Then........

I will find the closest parking lot, and push you down.

TIA

frauschieze
12-06-2008, 01:30 PM
After I get done taking a dump on this leach poster, Im getting in my wonder woman plane flying up there. I will procede to kick your ass in lasertag..... And follow it up with a thumbwar which will alos result with a Frau ass kicking. Then........

I will find the closest parking lot, and push you down.

TIA

You SOB, it wasn't a parking lot and I didn't fall down. I tripped but remained upright. Besides, you won't be any good at any of those things until you gain weight.

gobroncsnv
12-06-2008, 01:30 PM

You don't want to hear the name of the long-snapper in a game, because that means he probably screwed up... In that regard, I love that Leach stays pretty anonymous in his perfection... Robertson stays pretty anonymous in his ineffectiveness.

claymore
12-06-2008, 01:32 PM
You SOB, it wasn't a parking lot and I didn't fall down. I tripped but remained upright. Besides, you won't be any good at any of those things until you gain weight.

Oh Im a fat SOB. Slim would be jealous of my cellulite.

frauschieze
12-06-2008, 01:37 PM
You don't want to hear the name of the long-snapper in a game, because that means he probably screwed up... In that regard, I love that Leach stays pretty anonymous in his perfection... Robertson stays pretty anonymous in his ineffectiveness.

*uncoils*

Very good. You may pass, my good man. :D

gobroncsnv
12-06-2008, 01:55 PM
whew!!! :cool:

gobroncsnv
12-06-2008, 01:59 PM
pssst, Jr, while nobody's looking, change the name of your newest adopted Bronco from Specner to Spencer... ;)

And I'm glad you've given him a good home.

dogfish
12-06-2008, 03:33 PM
Absolutely but great DT are very hard to come by .. teams rarely allow them to get away once they do find them.. Hanesworth being the only one I can remember allowed to stray in the past 5-8 years or so..

unfortunately there were three available this offseason, and we missed the boat. . . .

Lonestar
12-06-2008, 08:07 PM
unfortunately there were three available this offseason, and we missed the boat. . . .

Do you suppose it was goodman, mikey, slowick or Pat that vetoed them?

dogfish
12-06-2008, 08:17 PM

:noidea:

who knows? i would guess that they probably confer as a group, although shanahan usually has the final say on personnel-- seeems to me that bowlen might have told them to cut down the spending this offseason, though. . .

Ziggy
12-06-2008, 08:34 PM

They were saving thier money for this offseason, so they can get both Haynseworth AND Peppers. :D

Lonestar
12-06-2008, 08:38 PM
:noidea:

who knows? i would guess that they probably confer as a group, although shanahan usually has the final say on personnel-- seeems to me that bowlen might have told them to cut down the spending this offseason, though. . .

should have turned on the :sarcasm: when I posted that.. we all know that Pat slowed the FA spending down to NADA.. the only reason we got Robertson was it was fire sale.

They were saving thier money for this offseason, so they can get both Haynseworth AND Peppers. :D

I think Hanesworth just signed last year to a multiyear deal.. But could be wrong..

broncohead
12-06-2008, 11:41 PM
Thomas should play at his natural weight. Adding weight (over 10lbs) will slow him down and he'll have to change his style to be effective. Could it work yes but imo there is more of a chance that it won't. Draft a guy in the first or second to be the future at the 1 tech. DT and let Thomas play the 3. I don't know if has been or not haven't had much time to watch Broncos football.

Hobe
12-07-2008, 12:45 AM
Does anyone remember what Randy White and Harvey Marten did to us in our first Super Bowl? White was only about 265, light for a DT even back then. However, he was the most dominant DT in the League for several years.

Thomas doesn't need more weight, he needs company!

Lonestar
12-07-2008, 01:37 AM
Does anyone remember what Randy White and Harvey Marten did to us in our first Super Bowl? White was only about 265, light for a DT even back then. However, he was the most dominant DT in the League for several years.

Thomas doesn't need more weight, he needs company!

Yes but Thomas is no Randy White..

Also back then our OLINE was much liter also. Off the top of my head around 275 at the OT..

He had desire and some other help.. He was not a one man show like we are asking Thomas to be..