PDA

View Full Version : TimesCall.com:Foes In Need Of A Win

Skinny
10-04-2007, 01:16 PM
Broncos, Chargers aim to bounce back from slow starts to season

By Brian Howell
The Daily Times-Call
Oct. 4, 2007

ENGLEWOOD — With San Diego coming off a 14-2 season in 2006 and the Denver Broncos harboring Super Bowl hopes every year, Sunday’s matchup at Invesco Field at Mile High figured to be key in the race for the AFC West.

It still is, but four weeks into the season, it’s also a game both squads could need to stay afloat in the playoff hunt.

The Broncos are reeling after two straight losses, and the Chargers are sitting at the bottom of the division at 1-3, having lost three games in a row.

“I’m sure they’re not too satisfied with the kind of football they’ve been playing,” Broncos defensive end Elvis Dumervil said. “But we have to worry about the Denver Broncos and just go out there and play the best we can.”

Right now, a lot of fans are worried about the Broncos. They’ve struggled to stop the run and struggled to put points on the board. The players, however, aren’t ready to call this week’s game a must-win.

“There is a lot of football left,” quarterback Jay Cutler said. “Everybody in town is freaking out a bit. Any time the Broncos don’t win, people are freaking out. We’re not that excited about it. We’re still working hard. We’ve got a good football team. It’s not for a lack of effort. Guys are playing hard and making plays. We’re just not making a lot of them.”

While the Broncos are struggling, few teams have been more of a surprise than San Diego, which won the AFC West by five games a year ago. Under first-year head coach Norv Turner, the Chargers haven’t been able to get on track.

“When you get in a situation, there’s disappointment,” Turner said. “Obviously, our expectations are extremely high. Then — and I think it’s good — there’s anger, in terms of I think our guys, we know as a group we can perform better. We just have to find a way to finish off a game.”

The Broncos are in the same situation, but, like the Chargers, they believe they’re not far off from being an elite team. The question is, which team will begin to turn it around this week?

“We’re trying to get our confidence at a high where we feel like whatever we do we’re unstoppable,” Broncos cornerback Dre Bly said. “Every week, the opposition possesses some capabilities and they’re going to have some guys that can make plays. They’ve been struggling, but I’m not worried about that the fact that they’re 1-3, or if they were 4-0. It would still be a big challenge for us. It ain’t about who we play, it’s about us as a team.”

Stopping L.T.: In 12 career games against the Broncos, San Diego running back LaDainian Tomlinson has rushed for 1,048 yards and 14 touchdowns and caught 44 passes for 289 yards and one score.

In two meetings last year, Tomlinson rushed for 208 yards and scored seven of his league-record 31 touchdowns against the Broncos.

“He broke the touchdown record last year, so it’s not like you’re playing against some C-class runner,” Broncos safety Nick Ferguson said. “This is an A-plus runner, so he’s going to get his yards. You’ve just got to be sound and make sure that after he makes his surge that you stop him.”

Tomlinson has struggled so far this year, with just 262 yards and two touchdowns in four games. He had just 68 yards in the first two weeks combined but busted loose for 132 yards against Kansas City last week.

“It’s a combination of things,” Turner said of Tomlinson’s struggles. “Part of it is the way our games have gone. We played two real good defenses early (Chicago and New England). The last two weeks, I think we’ve gotten back into a better rhythm and his numbers are better.”

Henry sits: Broncos running back Travis Henry hurt his right knee and right ankle Sunday at Indianapolis and did not practice Wednesday. He had an MRI earlier this week, but it came back negative.

“He’s still a little bit sore,” Shanahan said. “We won’t know (more) until (today). He is day to day.”

Extra points: Defensive end John Engelberger was supposed to have an MRI, but he practiced Wednesday. ... Shanahan said safety John Lynch (groin) and receiver Javon Walker (knee) didn’t practice Wednesday. ... The Broncos signed receiver Marquay McDaniel to the practice squad Wednesday. The rookie from Hampton University competed in training camp before being released on Sept. 1.

http://www.timescall.com/sports_story.asp?ID=3839

Nomad
10-04-2007, 02:06 PM
This game is a should-win. It's a home and division game and the BRONCOS would have an 0-3 record in the AFC if they lose. If they can't get fired up for this one then I don't know what will, because I don't see this team switching their A game all of a sudden. Hopefully the BRONCOS get better as the season goes on but with the injuries, I don't know. I don't want the BRONCOS having to play must win games.

broncosfanscott
10-04-2007, 05:51 PM
This Sunday's game is a divisional home game which means we need to win this game. A win on Sunday will not only put us at 3-2, it will also mean that we are 2-0 in the division. The division is up for grabs and the Broncos need to take advantage when they can.

Astrass
10-04-2007, 06:19 PM
This game is a should-win. It's a home and division game and the BRONCOS would have an 0-3 record in the AFC if they lose. If they can't get fired up for this one then I don't know what will, because I don't see this team switching their A game all of a sudden. Hopefully the BRONCOS get better as the season goes on but with the injuries, I don't know. I don't want the BRONCOS having to play must win games.

well we did beat the Raiders at least =P

Nomad
10-04-2007, 07:08 PM
well we did beat the Raiders at least =P

My mistake, we did beat the Bills and Raiders regardless Denver can't dig a hole in loses to AFC teams. When I wrote 0-3 I was thinking of the loses. Anyway, BRONCOS need to win the darn game.