PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Power Rankings - Week 1

CoachChaz
09-07-2011, 10:25 AM
Not completely sure I'll be able to update this every week, but it's been absent too long. Time to get the Power Rankings back up and running.

32. Buffalo - When you already suck...how do you let your two best players just walk away? My predicted winner of the Luck sweepstakes.

31. Cincinnati - The Bengals are officially in complete rebuild mold.

30. Jacksonville - The QB scenario will keep this team from winning games and putting butts in the seats.

29. Carolina - Rivera could make a difference, but Cam Newton will not.

28. Miami - Not enough talent behind the center to win many games in the AFC East.

27. Cleveland - McCoy will be a bust and Hillis will be injured. Bank on it.

26. Washington - Grossman and Beck will be destroyed in the NFC East.

25. Oakland - The running game may work against Denver...but not many others.

24. Denver - The rebuild is underway, but still too many questions and holes.

23. San Francisco - They have enough talent to contend for the division title...but they also have Alex Smith.

22. Seattle - Things are looking better...except under center

21. Minnesota - McNabb and the defense have had their ships sail. Age is catching up with this team.

20. Tennessee - Chris Johnson cant do it all. Talent pool significantly drops off after that.

19. St. Louis - Could be ranked higher if they didnt have an insane schedule.

18. Arizona - Cards arent the team they were a few seasons ago, but they are getting better and better.

17. Kansas City - Could move up the list if they can handle a tough early schedule

16. Detroit - The key to an improvement into the top half of the NFL is keeping Stafford on his feet.

15. Chicago - Last season required a lot of luck...I dont see lightning striking twice.

14. NY Giants - Have to see more of this team to decide a better place to rank them. Just one of those teams that can go either way.

13. Dallas - Romo will be running for his life behind the new Dallas OL. Hard to believe there are so many teams worse than this.

12. Indianapolis - The mighty are starting to fall. Tough schedule and a not-so-healthy Manning is not good.

11. Tampa Bay - Yet another coach we could have had instead of McD. This is Josh Freeman's breakout year.

10. Houston - They finally dethrone the Colts this year, but something inside me just doesnt trust them enough to believe in them.

9. NY Jets - The defense and OL is great. Just not sold on Sanchez and I dont think Ryan is either.

8. Baltimore - Will be a good team and will be there at the end...but age will hold them back.

7. New Orleans - Defense is improved and Brees will not have another bad year.

6. New England - Eventually BB will have bad luck with all the retreads he buys. This is the year.

5. Philly - The only thing holding this team back is the OL. But I'm leery of predicting greatness for all-star rosters. (Miami Heat)

4. Pittsburgh - Another team with potential OL problems. They'll still be strong with a creampuff schedule.

3. Atlanta - Improving the defense and adding weapons for Ryan are going to push them closer to the top.

2. San Diego - Sadly...this is the year Phillip Rivers puts his name in the hat with Brady and Manning. Tough offense and defense...weak division.

1. Green Bay - Still the best until someone proves otherwise. No significant losses and adding a lot of talent from injuries.

Northman
09-07-2011, 10:30 AM
Im guessing this is your overall PR and not just for week 1?

turftoad
09-07-2011, 10:31 AM
Looks good Coach. :2thumbs:

CoachChaz
09-07-2011, 10:41 AM
Im guessing this is your overall PR and not just for week 1?

Well...like any other PR, it will change from week to week. This is just where I see things right now.

slim
09-07-2011, 10:48 AM
I like how you didn't buy into the Philly hype. I think both NO and NE are probably better than Philly, but it is fairly close.

I also like how you put Denver in front of Oak. Oak is going to be pretty bad this year.

Northman
09-07-2011, 10:52 AM
Oak is going to be pretty bad this year.

Are you sure? OR thinks they are going to the SB......again.... lol

As to the rankings, i agree with most of it but thats why i asked if it was an overall ranking right now as opposed to the first week. Indy ive heard may not have Manning for the first week and as Coach pointed out he may struggle because of the surgery early so i could see them dropping a couple of early games. Washington i think is going to be much better regardless of the QB position. The team overall is just much stronger and really doesnt need either one to be successful. I dont think they are any worse than the rest of the division. And lastly, i dont think SD will be quite that good. They still have the Norvster.

dustybottoms
09-07-2011, 10:53 AM
I promise you that the Buffalo Bills will not end with the worst record in the NFL....it will be Cincy....Im a huge Broncos fan, but have lived in Buffalo before...the team is turning a corner.

Northman
09-07-2011, 10:55 AM
I promise you that the Buffalo Bills will not end with the worst record in the NFL....it will be Cincy....Im a huge Broncos fan, but have lived in Buffalo before...the team is turning a corner.

Its probably all gonna hinge on Fitz. I thought he played extremely well last year but in the preseason he looked incredibly bad. If he cant repeat that performance Buff could be really bad. But i agree that Cincy will probably be the worst of them all.

underrated29
09-07-2011, 11:00 AM
As much as I hate to say it, I think the pats explode this year. Specifically brady, and not because of chad johnson, im not sure he even does that well. But they have an easy schedule and brady has so freaking many weapons to throw to. I think he could have a 40td year.---They remind me of the colts in their SB year.

slim
09-07-2011, 11:01 AM
Are you sure? OR thinks they are going to the SB......again.... lol

As to the rankings, i agree with most of it but thats why i asked if it was an overall ranking right now as opposed to the first week. Indy ive heard may not have Manning for the first week and as Coach pointed out he may struggle because of the surgery early so i could see them dropping a couple of early games. Washington i think is going to be much better regardless of the QB position. The team overall is just much stronger and really doesnt need either one to be successful. I dont think they are any worse than the rest of the division. And lastly, i dont think SD will be quite that good. They still have the Norvster.

Every player on the Oak roster is HOF worthy, according to OR.

underrated29
09-07-2011, 11:03 AM

Its probably all gonna hinge on Fitz. I thought he played extremely well last year but in the preseason he looked incredibly bad. If he cant repeat that performance Buff could be really bad. But i agree that Cincy will probably be the worst of them all.

Disagree. Cincy has a good defense, but got blasted by injuries last year. They have a rook QB and have decent weapons on offense....Simpson, AJ green, Jermain Gresham <---Man Beast! and Cedric Benson who is back to back 1100 yard rushing.

While the are not very good, they imo are head and shoulders above buffalo.

Northman
09-07-2011, 11:26 AM
Disagree. Cincy has a good defense, but got blasted by injuries last year. They have a rook QB and have decent weapons on offense....Simpson, AJ green, Jermain Gresham <---Man Beast! and Cedric Benson who is back to back 1100 yard rushing.

While the are not very good, they imo are head and shoulders above buffalo.

But, they are weak at the most important position of all. QB.

Dalton may end up being good but not in his first year. And Cincy is NOWHERE near close to being like Pitt who was able to give Big Ben a smooth ride in his first year.

Dreadnought
09-07-2011, 11:38 AM
I agree with most of the list, and where I disagree I could just as easily see me being the one wrong. I think Cleveland is a bit better, ditto the Lions. I think Carolina will be putrid, possibly sub-Buffalo putrid, and the Jagwads may be worse than that. The Jagwads had a defense that rivalled ours last year and now are without a QB. Essentially MJD and not much else going on.

underrated29
09-07-2011, 11:44 AM
But, they are weak at the most important position of all. QB.

Dalton may end up being good but not in his first year. And Cincy is NOWHERE near close to being like Pitt who was able to give Big Ben a smooth ride in his first year.

No definitely not. But then again, few teams in the NFl are/were.

broncos were with bubby brister (although he was a vet and not terrible)
Pats were with cassel
steelers as you said were with big ben

Northman
09-07-2011, 11:47 AM
No definitely not. But then again, few teams in the NFl are/were.

broncos were with bubby brister (although he was a vet and not terrible)
Pats were with cassel
steelers as you said were with big ben

Indeed. Thats why i think Cincy will really struggle this year.

chazoe60
09-07-2011, 11:59 AM
What happens if Carolina, Jax, and Cincy end up with the top three picks in the draft? They all have young QBs they drafted highly and want to develop, it would be a trading frenzy and whoever got the first pick would get a king's ransom.

This may be the worst year ever to be picking second when it's all said and done.

underrated29
09-07-2011, 12:25 PM
Indeed. Thats why i think Cincy will really struggle this year.

Struggle yes, worst team in the league...worse than buffalo and a few others, no.

Northman
09-07-2011, 12:26 PM
Struggle yes, worst team in the league...worse than buffalo and a few others, no.

Hard to say, if Fitzpatrick plays as well as he did last year they clearly will finish better than Cincy in my opinion.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-07-2011, 01:23 PM
I like Detroit a little more and I like San Fran WAAAAYYYYY less than you, coach. San Fran should be below us, IMO.

Alex Smith makes Kyle Orton look like Tom Brady. Crabtree is a half-asser and Vernon Davis has a QB that can't get him the ball. Their O-line and secondary are pretty suspect, too. Frank Gore is about the only thing they have going for them.

I also think the Seahawks will be fighting for last place in a weak NFC West. Their QBs are pretty awful and I don't think their defense can carry them.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-07-2011, 01:24 PM
Hard to say, if Fitzpatrick plays as well as he did last year they clearly will finish better than Cincy in my opinion.

Fitzpatrick = Orton. He's not a terrible QB, but he won't pull many comeback victories, either. He's going to need a ton of help from Jackson, Spiller, and the defense.

Northman
09-07-2011, 01:25 PM
Fitzpatrick = Orton. He's not a terrible QB, but he won't pull many comeback victories, either. He's going to need a ton of help from Jackson, Spiller, and the defense.

True dat, but he's better than Dalton at this point which was what i was getting at.

MileHighCrew
09-07-2011, 01:35 PM
I am taking Atlanta to win the entire thing this year (if I can't pick the Broncos). So see them near the top makes sense to me.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-07-2011, 02:22 PM
I am taking Atlanta to win the entire thing this year (if I can't pick the Broncos). So see them near the top makes sense to me.

I still can't get on that bandwagon. Their defense is their weakness and has been for years. They mortgaged their draft to get another WR when offense just hasn't been their problem. Still doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Maybe they figure they can just outscore everyone? You'd think the Green Bay playoff loss would've emphasized their need for a stouter defense. I guess not...

underrated29
09-07-2011, 02:53 PM
I still can't get on that bandwagon. Their defense is their weakness and has been for years. They mortgaged their draft to get another WR when offense just hasn't been their problem. Still doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Maybe they figure they can just outscore everyone? You'd think the Green Bay playoff loss would've emphasized their need for a stouter defense. I guess not...

agreed 100%

No way imo is atlanta better than

GB
Pats
Pitts
Balt
bolts
------
It will be close if they are better than the:
Eagles
Saints
cowboys
------

I put them on par with saints/cowboys. Matt ryan jumps to elite this year, but their average defense is not enough, nor is their offense potent enough to get them over the top.

MileHighCrew
09-07-2011, 02:57 PM

I am not jumpin on the bandwagon, and I don't think they are the best team. I dothink they will pull it together for a huge run in the playoffs and I think Matt Ryan is the real deal. It is easy to pick GB NO Pit NE, but I am taking Atl this year.

FanInAZ
09-07-2011, 03:57 PM
Frank Gore is about the only thing they have going for them.

Until he gets injured again.

CoachChaz
09-07-2011, 05:23 PM
Keep in mind its week 1 and we havent seen too many teams show all their cards. Initially, teams 1-10 are faitly equal, as are 11-20 and 21-32. As the games are played, things will sort out, so dont put too much into one team,being listed a spot or two above another.

Also, one team can look a little better on paper than another, but have a much tougher schedule. That plays into the initial ranking as well.

slim
09-07-2011, 06:52 PM
I am surprised nobody has flamed you for putting SD at 2 and Den at 24.

FanInAZ
09-07-2011, 09:28 PM
I am surprised nobody has flamed you for putting SD at 2 and Den at 24.

It actually refreshing to see someone pick Denver that high. Half the members around here are talking about us having the worst record in the league. As far as San Diego, I think there is enough of a power vacuum to the top of the AFC to where they could make it this year.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-08-2011, 06:19 AM
What happens if Carolina, Jax, and Cincy end up with the top three picks in the draft? They all have young QBs they drafted highly and want to develop, it would be a trading frenzy and whoever got the first pick would get a king's ransom.

This may be the worst year ever to be picking second when it's all said and done.

They were actually talking about this on Sirius the other day. If one of the teams like Carolina or Jacksonville get the #1 pick what they would do with a shot at Luck. Of course, Elway's name immediately came up as a guy who'd probably mortgage his draft to trade up and take Luck. They probably aren't wrong, especially if Orton is leaving and Tebow doesn't show significant progress by the end of the year.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-08-2011, 06:26 AM
Oh, I also think SD is much too high. They're the same team they were last year and they were 9-7 and it wasn't all because of STs like people want you to believe. They won't win anything with Norv Turner as their HC. If they couldn't do it with Tomlinson and Merriman in their prime and on 'roids respectively, they won't do it with their current roster and current HC. I don't even think they win the division this year.

I know it's popular to be on their bandwagon because of Rivers, but if Gates can't stay healthy and their O-line continues to have problems protecting Rivers (which nobody talks about but is true) then they will struggle against teams who can rush the passer. We're built to beat these guys right now on defense. Rivers remembers our pass rush from '09 with Doom and it's better now than it was then with the addition of Miller.

I think the AFC West is a lot closer than it is far apart. It will probably come down to the wire. KC won the division last year and Oakland swept the division. I see no reason that SD will be much better and those two teams will fall off that much. We should be better, also.

Poet
09-09-2011, 12:58 PM
Cincinnati's defense will keep them from the worst overall record. We will just get out of the Luck sweepstakes.

MNPatsFan
09-09-2011, 04:12 PM
Cincinnati's defense will keep them from the worst overall record. We will just get out of the Luck sweepstakes.King, is it wrong of me to wish you ....

GOOD LUCK????

:lol:

Dreadnought
09-11-2011, 01:30 PM
Chiefs may need a bit of a downgrade, so far. Just sayin...

Thnikkaman
09-11-2011, 04:37 PM
San Diego as well me thinks.

Dreadnought
10-14-2011, 02:45 PM
We've got a lot of smart football guys on this board, and nobody saw the Bills coming, nor the melt-down of the Eagles

HP56, one of the best here IMO, even predicted that there would be no comeback victories for Ryan Fitzpatrick. Its why I love this sport, and why they play the games