PDA

View Full Version : Is Al Davis a genius???

girler
09-06-2011, 06:11 PM
http://www.tmz.com/2011/09/06/al-michaels-oakland-raiders-al-davis-genius-football-sunday-night-football-football-night-in-america-announcer-owner-team-nbc-super-bowl/#.TmanUGqwXAE

I don't normally quote TMZ, but this is too awesome... The following quote is by Al Michaels to a TMZ photographer who is a major Raiders' fan and asked about his team....

Still, when we asked Michaels if he considered Davis a genius, he told us, "If you had a team that lost 11 or more games in SEVEN consecutive years, would you say a genius ran the team?"

No, we would not.

FanInAZ
09-06-2011, 06:38 PM
http://www.tmz.com/2011/09/06/al-michaels-oakland-raiders-al-davis-genius-football-sunday-night-football-football-night-in-america-announcer-owner-team-nbc-super-bowl/#.TmanUGqwXAE

I don't normally quote TMZ, but this is too awesome... The following quote is by Al Michaels to a TMZ photographer who is a major Raiders' fan and asked about his team....

I watched the video, and it was legit. No splicing or sound bites; just a raw clip of Al Michaels telling a Raiders fan something that all non-Raiders fans figured a long time ago.

red98
09-06-2011, 07:05 PM
Al Michaels can be pretty cool sometimes.

Northman
09-06-2011, 07:24 PM
Is Al Davis a genius?

No, but he did stay at a Holiday Inn.

FanInAZ
09-07-2011, 07:06 AM
Is Al Davis a genius?

No, but he did stay at a Holiday Inn.

He was supposed to stay at a Holiday Inn Express, because that's the one that's supposed to make you smarter. I guess he messed that one up too.

Thnikkaman
09-07-2011, 10:12 AM
OR must be proud.

OaklandRaider
09-07-2011, 05:02 PM
Without Al Davis, jerks like Al Michaels wouldn't have a job.

Without Al Davis, there is no NFL. There is no Denver Broncos.

Remember that the next time you bash the living legend. Have some respect.

girler
09-07-2011, 06:30 PM

:lol: I spit on Al Davis. :eviltongue: I dance on his future grave. :dancing2: :rip: I push his wheelchair down whatever stadium stairs and watch him flop over the bars and flyyyyyyyyyyyy until he squishes at the bottom... :geezer: :vollkommenauf:

Oh wait, then someone sensible might take over that team! :tape: Um, LONG LIVE THAT SCARY DUDE!!!! :shots:

The.Mile.High.Raider
09-07-2011, 06:42 PM

:beer:

zbeg
09-07-2011, 06:46 PM

Without Al Davis, the world would be a better place.

No respect here. Zero. If I could spit in his face right now, I would.

*ptoo*

Like that.

The.Mile.High.Raider
09-07-2011, 06:49 PM
Like that?

girler
09-07-2011, 06:52 PM
Waa waaa waaaah. :Cry:

Timmy!
09-07-2011, 06:53 PM
Lmao. I love the crypt keeper and hope his senile ass lives forever.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

FanInAZ
09-07-2011, 09:13 PM

You need to double check your history books.

1) According to, 75 Season: The Complete Story of the National Football League (published by Turner Publishing under authorization of the NFL [1994]): 2 of the 1st 8 franchises that the American Football League accepted were the Denver Broncos & Minnesota Vikings. It was only after the NFL stole the Vikings that the AFL, in desperation to get an 8th franchise at the last minute, granted one to the Oakland Raiders. Therefore, the Broncos have been in existence a few months longer the Raiders. If the NFL hadn't stolen the Vikings, the Raiders wouldn't even exist.

2) As far as Al Davis' role in the NFL-AFL merger, the only "credit" he can be given is his response as the AFL's new commission to the NFL's "stealing" of top AFL players & prospects. According to the aforementioned publication:

"New AFL Commissioner Al Davis, the former Raiders general manager and coach who succeeded Foss, encouraged club owners to retaliate. Soon, the Oilers agreed with 49ers quarterback John Brodie on a five-year contract that called for $750,000 to be paid over 10 years, to take effect after his option year. The Raiders signed the Rams' Roman Gabriel to a four-year contract that included a $100,000 signing bonus. Houston began talking to Mike Ditka, and the Dolphins sounded out Alex Karras. Clearly, competition was turning to madness."

That is all he did as far as his role in the merger. So who actually brought about the merger that you claim saved our Broncos & the NFL? According to the aforementioned publication:

"The notion of an NFL-AFL merger had been discussed casually among representatives of the rival leagues for six years. But the first meaningful exchange began in the spring of 1966 when Cowboys general manager Tex Schramm arranged a secret meeting with Chiefs owner Lamar Hunt.

From April 4 through June 7, the two exchanged phone calls, proposals, and counterproposals. Acting on behalf of the commissioner, Schramm sounded out NFL owners-especially those who shared cities with AFL teams. Hunt performed the same duties in the AFL."

So if the merger saved the Broncos and the NFL, and the two individuals that were most instrumental at bringing about the merger are our saviors, then our saviors are Tex Schramm & Lamar Hunt. It's also important to note when discussing who the Broncos owe for their existence that Hunt was the driving force behind the creation of the AFL. He was upset the NFL initially overlooked Dallas when they planned their 1960 expansion. Lamar Hunt responded by forming the AFL and which granted him the Dallas Texans franchise. The NFL immediately countered by throwing together their own Dallas franchise, the Cowboys, who would later drive the Texans out of town. The Texans moved to Kansas City & changed their names to the Chiefs. So once again, all AFL franchises (as well as the Dallas Cowboys & Minnisota Vikings) owe their existence to Lamar Hunt. So OR, please show Hunt the respect he deserves by not giving Al Davis credit for what he did.

OaklandRaider
09-08-2011, 11:20 AM
You need to double check your history books.

1) According to, 75 Season: The Complete Story of the National Football League (published by Turner Publishing under authorization of the NFL [1994]): 2 of the 1st 8 franchises that the American Football League accepted were the Denver Broncos & Minnesota Vikings. It was only after the NFL stole the Vikings that the AFL, in desperation to get an 8th franchise at the last minute, granted one to the Oakland Raiders. Therefore, the Broncos have been in existence a few months longer the Raiders. If the NFL hadn't stolen the Vikings, the Raiders wouldn't even exist.

2) As far as Al Davis' role in the NFL-AFL merger, the only "credit" he can be given is his response as the AFL's new commission to the NFL's "stealing" of top AFL players & prospects. According to the aforementioned publication:

"New AFL Commissioner Al Davis, the former Raiders general manager and coach who succeeded Foss, encouraged club owners to retaliate. Soon, the Oilers agreed with 49ers quarterback John Brodie on a five-year contract that called for $750,000 to be paid over 10 years, to take effect after his option year. The Raiders signed the Rams' Roman Gabriel to a four-year contract that included a $100,000 signing bonus. Houston began talking to Mike Ditka, and the Dolphins sounded out Alex Karras. Clearly, competition was turning to madness."

That is all he did as far as his role in the merger. So who actually brought about the merger that you claim saved our Broncos & the NFL? According to the aforementioned publication:

"The notion of an NFL-AFL merger had been discussed casually among representatives of the rival leagues for six years. But the first meaningful exchange began in the spring of 1966 when Cowboys general manager Tex Schramm arranged a secret meeting with Chiefs owner Lamar Hunt.

From April 4 through June 7, the two exchanged phone calls, proposals, and counterproposals. Acting on behalf of the commissioner, Schramm sounded out NFL owners-especially those who shared cities with AFL teams. Hunt performed the same duties in the AFL."

So if the merger saved the Broncos and the NFL, and the two individuals that were most instrumental at bringing about the merger are our saviors, then our saviors are Tex Schramm & Lamar Hunt. It's also important to note when discussing who the Broncos owe for their existence that Hunt was the driving force behind the creation of the AFL. He was upset the NFL initially overlooked Dallas when they planned their 1960 expansion. Lamar Hunt responded by forming the AFL and which granted him the Dallas Texans franchise. The NFL immediately countered by throwing together their own Dallas franchise, the Cowboys, who would later drive the Texans out of town. The Texans moved to Kansas City & changed their names to the Chiefs. So once again, all AFL franchises (as well as the Dallas Cowboys & Minnisota Vikings) owe their existence to Lamar Hunt. So OR, please show Hunt the respect he deserves by not giving Al Davis credit for what he did.

Your information is incorrect.

Don't want to waste my time educating you about Al Davis, and all the great things he has done for the NFL.

Haters gonna hate.

FanInAZ
09-08-2011, 12:02 PM

Don't want to waste my time educating you about Al Davis, and all the great things he has done for the NFL.

Haters gonna hate.

:confused: Information that I got straight out of a publication authorized by the NFL is incorrect? :confused:

BroncoNut
09-08-2011, 12:03 PM
I don't know if he's a genius, but he's one helluva football mind at one time. It's important to keep in mind that he's getting up there in age.

Northman
09-08-2011, 12:06 PM
:confused: Information that I got straight out of a publication authorized by the NFL is incorrect? :confused:

Yes, because JaMarshmellow is the GOAT.

Sincerely,
OR

FanInAZ
09-08-2011, 12:49 PM
Another thing OR, I expressed no hatred for Al Davis in that post. I simply pointed out that the NFL's own historical accounts of the merger gives credit for some of the things that you’re crediting to Al Davis to others. Unless of your referring to some other occasion in which Davis did something that saved the Denver Broncos & the NFL. If so, please tell us specifically what he did to warrant such recognition.

girler
09-08-2011, 01:48 PM

Haters gonna hate.

Seems to me YOU are the hater here... :listen:

OaklandRaider
09-08-2011, 02:59 PM
Another thing OR, I expressed no hatred for Al Davis in that post. I simply pointed out that the NFL's own historical accounts of the merger gives credit for some of the things that you’re crediting to Al Davis to others.

There's your problem right there.

The NFL is biased against the Raiders. They hate Al Davis. The NFL has hated the Raiders for many years, even back when Pete Rosell was the commish. Of course they wouldn't give Al Davis his proper due for the merger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw88IS94AK0

But I, and many other Raider fans know the truth. And that's all that matters. :coffee:

zbeg
09-08-2011, 03:00 PM

OMG FACTS REALITY NOOOOOoooooooooooooo.....

Not terribly surprising, though. Choosing to be a Raiders fan indicates a lack of grasp of reality, so this is consistent with that.

girler
09-08-2011, 03:23 PM

The NFL is biased against the Raiders. They hate Al Davis. The NFL has hated the Raiders for many years, even back when Pete Rosell was the commish. Of course they wouldn't give Al Davis his proper due for the merger.

But I, and many other Raider fans know the truth. And that's all that matters. :coffee:

:pcguru:

FanInAZ
09-08-2011, 04:31 PM

So you don't believe anything that the NFL says about your team, fine. I went to alternative sources. Raiders.com (the official website of the Oakland Raiders) says http://www.raiders.com/history/timeline.html

August 14—First organizational meeting held under leadership of league founder Lamar Hunt. August 22—American Football League chosen as official name. November 22—First draft meeting held, with first round choices composed of: Boston—Gerhard Schwedes; Buffalo—Richie Lucas; Dallas—Don Meredith; Denver—Roger LeClerc; Houston—Billy Cannon; Los Angeles— Monty Stickles; Minneapolis—Dale Hackbart; New York—George Izo. November 23— Cooperative television plan adopted by AFL. November 30—Joe Foss named league commissioner.

January 26—Lamar Hunt of the Dallas Texans named first AFL president. January 27—First 14- game home-and-away schedule adopted. January 30—Oakland group awarded former Minneapolis franchise. February 9—Eddie Erdelatz appointed as first head coach of Raiders. March 3—Special draft plan adopted to stock Oakland club. June 9—AFL signs five-year contract with ABC for network televising of games. July 30—First pre-season game held: Boston defeats Buffalo, 28-7, before 16,000 at Buffalo. September 9—First league game held: Denver defeats Boston, 13-10, before 21,597 at Boston. September 11—Raiders open at home, losing to Houston, 37-22. December 6—AFL establishes Player Benefit Fund.

This official authorized account of Oakland Raider history confirms that the Vikings, not the Raiders, was one of the original 8 AFL franchise when the league was officially formed. It also confirms that the Raiders wouldn't even exist if the NFL hadn't stolen the Vikings from the AFL.

As far as the Oakland Raider's official version of the merger, it's mentioned not only in the aforementioned link, but also in a link to a page dedicated to Al Davis exclusively. http://www.raiders.com/history/al-davis.html

April 8—Al Davis, general manager and head coach of Oakland Raiders, is named second Commissioner of American Football League, succeeding Joe Foss. June 8—American Football League and National Football League agree to an alliance that includes common draft and Championship Game. July 25—Al Davis resigns as League Commissioner. Milt Woodard appointed President of the American Football League.

In 1966, Mr. Davis became Commissioner of the AFL at 36 and was acclaimed nationally as the driving force who forged the historic merger between the AFL and NFL. He also played a vital role in the development of the game as a participant on the prestigious NFL Competition Committee and the NFL Owners Executive Committee.

The Raiders official historical account of the merger agreement give no explanation as to why Davis resigned about a month & 1/2 after the agreement, and about 3 1/2 months after taking the job. After all, the AFL still needed to have its own commissioner until the merger which wasn't for another 4 seasons. If Davis was truly the driving force behind the merger, then he should have stayed on as the commissioner in order to see the merger through. After all, there were still major issues that had to be worked out.

I could quote from Paul Brown's (owner of the Cincinnati Bengals) autobiography, but I found it in that same NFL authorized publication that you've already denounce as anti-Davis propaganda. I'd quote what the Raiders' site says, but it doesn't talk about the final pre-merger owners meeting in 1970. So the only other source of info that can shed any light on this subject is one that I generally disregard as unreliable on any subject, Wikipedia.

In April 1966 he was named the American Football League Commissioner. He immediately commenced an aggressive campaign against the NFL and signed several of the NFL's top players to AFL contracts. Other AFL owners, Davis not included, held secret meetings with the NFL, and in July the AFL and NFL announced that they were merging. Because of the compensation AFL teams were required to pay the NFL, and because he believed the AFL would be the superior league if allowed to remain separate, Davis was against the merger. On July 25, 1966, Davis resigned as commissioner rather than remain as commissioner until the end of the AFL in 1970.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Davis

Now I don't blame you OR if you disregard this Wikipedia article just as I disregard all Wikipedia articles. Nevertheless, it does prove one possible explanation for a question that the Raiders official site doesn't address. Why did Al Davis resign as the AFL's commissioner nearly 4 years early? Because he wasn't a driving force behind the merger, he was an opponent of the merger.

zbeg
09-08-2011, 04:46 PM
So you don't believe anything that the NFL says about your team, fine. I went to alternative sources. Raiders.com (the official website of the Oakland Raiders) says http://www.raiders.com/history/timeline.html

This official authorized account of Oakland Raider history confirms that the Vikings, not the Raiders, was one of the original 8 AFL franchise when the league was officially formed. It also confirms that the Raiders wouldn't even exist if the NFL hadn't stolen the Vikings from the AFL.

You can't believe that. The Oakland Raiders are biased against the Oakland Raiders.

We know the real truth. And that's all that matters. :coffee:

GEM
09-08-2011, 06:01 PM
Al Davis is proof that zombies walk the earth. They also wear depends and jump suits.

girler
09-08-2011, 06:27 PM
Al Davis is proof that zombies walk the earth. They also wear depends and jump suits.

Does that mean I have to add a * and say (for a zombie) at the end of my question? :confused:

Devilspawn
09-08-2011, 06:52 PM
Well deserved legendary Hall of Famer. Needs a GM badly. That is all.

girler
09-08-2011, 07:12 PM
Well deserved legendary Hall of Famer. Needs a GM badly. That is all.

Hey, DS, I thought you were out of the internets or something. We were having fun taunting that other thing that likes the same team as you. It's not near as fun when you're around. :tongue: