PDA

View Full Version : Former Steelers OL Tony Hills signed a 2-year deal with the Denver Broncos.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-06-2011, 05:42 PM
AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
Former Steelers OL Tony Hills signed a 2-year deal with the Denver Broncos.
8 seconds ago

Never heard of him, but he's probably better than Hochstein.

Grover
09-06-2011, 05:44 PM
Maybe, but he doesn't play Hochstein's position and we waived Herb Taylor.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-06-2011, 05:55 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18836627

Tned
09-06-2011, 06:42 PM
A little while ago on Sirius radio, Fox said they see him as an RT.

OrangeHoof
09-06-2011, 06:51 PM
Hills played at the University of Texas. Intelligent but not among the most physical OTs. Might have been a better fit under former regimes that emphasized lighter, more mobile lineman. I believe he had knee surgery while in Pittsburgh.

Lancane
09-06-2011, 06:53 PM
A little while ago on Sirius radio, Fox said they see him as an RT.

Are you talking about Hills? :confused:

MOtorboat
09-06-2011, 06:57 PM
Can he play DT?

Lancane
09-06-2011, 07:13 PM
Can he play DT?

We needed depth at both positions, but maybe they feel comfortable with the defensive line, more then we do...I mean that is possible.

Tned
09-06-2011, 07:15 PM
Are you talking about Hills? :confused:

Fox was.

Lancane
09-06-2011, 07:17 PM
Fox was.

But he didn't mean as a starter, or I hope not? Franklin has done rather well at the position, it's the interior offensive line where I see more plausible concern regarding the starters.

Tned
09-06-2011, 07:25 PM
But he didn't mean as a starter, or I hope not? Franklin has done rather well at the position, it's the interior offensive line where I see more plausible concern regarding the starters.

I don't think he said either way in terms of starting. Just said they saw RT as his best or natural position, don't remember which.

Dzone
09-06-2011, 07:33 PM
Well, hes probably better than the dude we cut...Plus he is coming from the 2nd best team in the league. According to this, he has played both LT and RG
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_752633.html

Agent of Orange
09-06-2011, 07:49 PM
I wonder if he's supposed to be Clady's replacement when the don't want to pay him. :D

But really, I really hope this means they're open to moving Franklin to guard and Beadles out to RT.

dogfish
09-06-2011, 07:59 PM

i highly doubt they're bringing him in with any expectation that he's going to compete for a starting job-- certainly not right away. . . probably more like a swing OL with some developmental potential, because we have zero talent on our reserve OL. . .

Softskull
09-06-2011, 08:35 PM
A Longhorn buddy of mine says that it's our best OLine pick up since Clady. Stupid Texas people.

Tned
09-06-2011, 08:38 PM
I wonder if he's supposed to be Clady's replacement when the don't want to pay him. :D

But really, I really hope this means they're open to moving Franklin to guard and Beadles out to RT.

Beadles wasn't all that impressive at RT last year. Hard to imagine them eager to move him back there, especially after they felt the need to draft an RT.

SR
09-06-2011, 08:38 PM
A Longhorn buddy of mine says that it's our best OLine pick up since Clady. Stupid Texas people.

Everyone in Texas thinks everything in Texas or anything that came from Texas is the best there is. Ignorance and blind pride at their best.

Agent of Orange
09-06-2011, 08:58 PM
Beadles wasn't all that impressive at RT last year. Hard to imagine them eager to move him back there, especially after they felt the need to draft an RT.

He's not that great at guard either.

Dzone
09-06-2011, 09:14 PM
What the hell happened? Sounds like at one point in preseason, he was a starting guard, then moved to Tackle because someone got injured, then the next thing you know, he gets cut...something fishy here...
This dude has a long history of injuries.

Dzone
09-06-2011, 09:16 PM
I hope he is tougher than his face picture. He looks like a nerd

Lancane
09-07-2011, 01:29 AM
I hope he is tougher than his face picture. He looks like a nerd

So does Von Miller, I'm sure you wouldn't want to piss him off? :lol:

BroncoSexyDaddy
09-07-2011, 07:08 PM
Here is more information on Hills,i felt it would be usefull.He seems to be a good pick up.

Link

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_752633.html

Jsteve01
09-07-2011, 07:11 PM

Beadles hasn't been impressive anywhere. I see us drafting or signing multiple interior linemen on both sides of the ball next year. He's just athletic and smart enough to be the next Russ freaking Hochstein.

PAINTERDAVE
09-07-2011, 07:34 PM
On the radio...
D-mac said he just saw Hills in the locker room today...

he said..

"Holy Crap. Dude is not fat.
at 6ft 5 in and 308 lbs..
he is in great shape...
not a fat slug".

Good to know they didn't just pick up a large body..
but a guy who is in great shape.

Clipworthy
09-08-2011, 01:38 AM
he's depth...don't expect anything more than that out of him

dogfish
09-08-2011, 01:47 AM
he's depth...don't expect anything more than that out of him

i'm thrilled if he's even that, given what we have now. . .

:fear:

i do expect this team to be better than last year-- a professional coach and a couple good pass rushers will do that for ya-- but they're basically working with no safety net if one of our starting five OLs gets hurt or falters. . . even if we come out of the gate looking good, we'll be crossing our fingers all year at a number of key positions. . . this definitely doesn't look like a team that can withstand many injuries, and we've already lost one guy they were counting on, and have a few more currently down. . .

we did add wilhite, but i'm a bit surprised we haven't brought in a vet over chris harris. . . pretty obvious they're going to have to draft there next year, unless a pair of UDFAs is the future. . .

our D-tackle rotation for the opener is going to be kevin vickerson, ryan mcbean and mitch unrein. . . i hope to **** they can produce a run defense that doesn't get ripped by mcfadden on monday night friggin' football with that group. . .

more importantly, i hope the coordinators we chose can be good enough to stick around a few years. . . we keep changing systems every few years, we'll be trapped in that cycle of constantly churning the bottom two-thirds of the roster looking for better system fits. . . as opposed to the big boys that have systems in place, who can sit back and find value in the draft because they know what they're looking for. . . and they have the position coaches to develop the kids. . . the way we were back when we had gibbs and turner cranking out productive linemen and runners from later round picks. . . we need to establish some kind of stability so that we can build our depth-- and not be wafer thin at half-a-dozen spots at this time in the next couple years, hoping for waiver wire scraps. . . .

Clipworthy
09-08-2011, 02:17 AM
i'm thrilled if he's even that, given what we have now. . .

:fear:

i do expect this team to be better than last year-- a professional coach and a couple good pass rushers will do that for ya-- but they're basically working with no safety net if one of our starting five OLs gets hurt or falters. . . even if we come out of the gate looking good, we'll be crossing our fingers all year at a number of key positions. . . this definitely doesn't look like a team that can withstand many injuries, and we've already lost one guy they were counting on, and have a few more currently down. . .

we did add wilhite, but i'm a bit surprised we haven't brought in a vet over chris harris. . . pretty obvious they're going to have to draft there next year, unless a pair of UDFAs is the future. . .

our D-tackle rotation for the opener is going to be kevin vickerson, ryan mcbean and mitch unrein. . . i hope to **** they can produce a run defense that doesn't get ripped by mcfadden on monday night friggin' football with that group. . .

more importantly, i hope the coordinators we chose can be good enough to stick around a few years. . . we keep changing systems every few years, we'll be trapped in that cycle of constantly churning the bottom two-thirds of the roster looking for better system fits. . . as opposed to the big boys that have systems in place, who can sit back and find value in the draft because they know what they're looking for. . . and they have the position coaches to develop the kids. . . the way we were back when we had gibbs and turner cranking out productive linemen and runners from later round picks. . . we need to establish some kind of stability so that we can build our depth-- and not be wafer thin at half-a-dozen spots at this time in the next couple years, hoping for waiver wire scraps. . . .

Denver fixed a lot of problems with this past draft (Safety, OLB, RT), another good draft (DT, CB, G) and this team could be scary, if it already isn't

The WR core could turn out to be one of the best in the NFL... Lloyd, Decker, Royal, Demaryius... say what you want about Dem, but he is the closest to Calvin Johnson to ever come out of the draft, he could become THAT good

The good thing about the O line is that none of them are injury prone, Clady's was more of a freak incident

Unlike the D line :lol:

Clipworthy
09-08-2011, 02:25 AM

oh, and we could bring back Nate if you want a vet around

Didn't think so. :listen:

Softskull
09-08-2011, 01:29 PM
Bunkley back in practice today. Bueno!

slim
09-08-2011, 01:35 PM
Beadles hasn't been impressive anywhere. I see us drafting or signing multiple interior linemen on both sides of the ball next year. He's just athletic and smart enough to be the next Russ freaking Hochstein.

Is Leonard Davis still available?

He would look good next to Clady.

rationalfan
09-08-2011, 01:57 PM

hmmm. i don't get the beadles hate. he's not great, but he's not bad either. offensive lineman usually improve dramatically in year two or three, i hope to see that with beadles. also this is from the dpost:

Did you know? Beadles was penalized only twice last season.

Gotta love a guy who doesn't penalize the team; and with the confusion of McD's tenure, the fact that beadles didn't lose his head in gameplay is a good sign.

dogfish
09-08-2011, 03:07 PM
Is Leonard Davis still available?

He would look good next to Clady.

you just like him because he's an even bigger fatass than you are. . . . :coffee:

slim
09-08-2011, 03:53 PM
you just like him because he's an even bigger fatass than you are. . . . :coffee:

Are you saying you would rather have Beadles?