PDA

View Full Version : The Denver Offense vs The NY Giants Defense

WARHORSE
12-04-2008, 05:05 PM
Im looking at our offensive stats, and Im amazed that we lead the league in sacks allowed. Cutler has barely even been touched. So I began to wonder who would show themselves good enough to get at him. I thought of Pittsburg, NY Jets and the Giants. Then I said to myself, lets be honest. The best team at putting pressure on opposing QBs using their base Ds is the NY Giants. So I began to speculate on whether we would be able to function under that pass rush, when Tom Brady couldnt. My answer was........yes.

For one thing, the Giants arent as deep as they were last year. Secondly, we arent the Patriots. In all honesty, just taking away the QB, our recievers are better than the Pats. Our TEs, and our three deeps, and four deeps at the position are clearly in our favor. The only set you could argue possibly is the two WR set, where they put Moss and Welker on the field, vs Brandon and Eddie, and heck, even that is a matter of opinion.

Frankly, the factor that falls in our favor is not only our TEs, and our ability to go three and four wide and produce mismatches, but also our quarterbacks ability to run, and get out of the pocket.

The NY Giants clearly got into the oh so legendary poise of one Tom Brady. Jay Cutler can run, and if you rush four, and put pressure on him, hes going to get outside and kill you.

I think the more this offense plays together, the more deadly theyre going to get. As long as Hillis stays healthy, along with his ability to catch the ball, the offense is going to be there. We pumped up a considerable amount of points on a very good NY Jets defense, and we had opportunity for more.

Of course, should a real game between the Giants and Denver ever ensue, our defense vs their offense would be hugely in their favor.

But I dont want to talk about that, and how that would keep our offense on the sideline............lol.:coffee:

haroldthebarrel
12-04-2008, 05:08 PM
Great defense vs great offense usually ends with a defensive win.

So I guess this line of yours will be the decider:
"Of course, should a real game between the Giants and Denver ever ensue, our defense vs their offense would be hugely in their favor."

G_Money
12-04-2008, 05:22 PM
This offense put up 10 points against the Raiders.

It turned the ball over incessantly against the Chiefs even though there was very little pressure on Jay.

As fun as this offense should theoretically be in the future, it’s no 2007 regular-season NE just yet.

It’s more like an RC car than an Energizer Bunny of offense.

It doesn’t keep going, and going and going.

Instead it is hellaciously fun for about 60 minutes and then you spend the next week pouring time and money into fixing all the burned out parts, then the next couple of weeks tweaking it to get everything working again, then another hour of fun before it breaks down again.

In the future, I hope to have it finely tuned and durable, but for now I happen to think the World Champs could apply enough pressure to crack our non-durable offense.

Still, I’d like to see it. I’d prefer to get cracked in the regular season so we can fix it, rather than in the post-season as Indy had a bad habit of doing to us a few years ago.

~G

Medford Bronco
12-04-2008, 05:23 PM
Great defense vs great offense usually ends with a defensive win.

So I guess this line of yours will be the decider:
"Of course, should a real game between the Giants and Denver ever ensue, our defense vs their offense would be hugely in their favor."

just ask NE last season case in point

Shazam!
12-04-2008, 10:40 PM
The Broncos are not the 2007 Patriots.

The Giants would beat Denver at Invesco, the Meadowlands, or at a local park.

Northman
12-04-2008, 10:42 PM
If there ever was a indicator of Off vs Def in championship games look no further than last year, the 2000 Ravens, and the Bucs vs Oak in 02'.

BCJ
12-05-2008, 07:09 AM
To play the Giants, wouldnt we have to get to the Super Bowl first? Pipe dreams boys and girls. Making the playoffs (if we beat KC) is almost certain. Winning the first game is not at all.

gobroncsnv
12-05-2008, 08:07 AM
If there ever was a indicator of Off vs Def in championship games look no further than last year, the 2000 Ravens, and the Bucs vs Oak in 02'.

Or Indy vs da Bears a couple of years ago?

Gamechanger
12-05-2008, 08:43 AM

that was everyone underestimating us, you must remember that Gross-ass-throw was still uunder center for duh Bears

Zweems56
12-05-2008, 08:53 AM
that was everyone underestimating us, you must remember that Gross-ass-throw was still uunder center for duh Bears

Thats sexy rexy to you sir.

broncofaninfla
12-05-2008, 08:59 AM
Hopefully we'll find out.

fcspikeit
12-05-2008, 04:16 PM

Offense beat out defense that game. It can happen.

haroldthebarrel
12-05-2008, 04:25 PM
Offense beat out defense that game. It can happen.

I think if you put Dilfer at qb for the Bears that game I would guess they would have won. You dont need a qb with questionable decision when your tactics is defense and a heavy run game.

fcspikeit
12-05-2008, 04:26 PM
Im looking at our offensive stats, and Im amazed that we lead the league in sacks allowed. Cutler has barely even been touched. So I began to wonder who would show themselves good enough to get at him. I thought of Pittsburg, NY Jets and the Giants. Then I said to myself, lets be honest. The best team at putting pressure on opposing QBs using their base Ds is the NY Giants. So I began to speculate on whether we would be able to function under that pass rush, when Tom Brady couldnt. My answer was........yes.

For one thing, the Giants arent as deep as they were last year. Secondly, we arent the Patriots. In all honesty, just taking away the QB, our recievers are better than the Pats. Our TEs, and our three deeps, and four deeps at the position are clearly in our favor. The only set you could argue possibly is the two WR set, where they put Moss and Welker on the field, vs Brandon and Eddie, and heck, even that is a matter of opinion.

Frankly, the factor that falls in our favor is not only our TEs, and our ability to go three and four wide and produce mismatches, but also our quarterbacks ability to run, and get out of the pocket.

The NY Giants clearly got into the oh so legendary poise of one Tom Brady. Jay Cutler can run, and if you rush four, and put pressure on him, hes going to get outside and kill you.

I think the more this offense plays together, the more deadly theyre going to get. As long as Hillis stays healthy, along with his ability to catch the ball, the offense is going to be there. We pumped up a considerable amount of points on a very good NY Jets defense, and we had opportunity for more.

Of course, should a real game between the Giants and Denver ever ensue, our defense vs their offense would be hugely in their favor.

But I dont want to talk about that, and how that would keep our offense on the sideline............lol.:coffee:

Everyone seems to be missing the point of your thread WAR :D

I don't think we would beat the Giants if we played today, but you didn't ask that, I don't think our D could stop them, but you didn't ask that either.

You asked how our Offense would do against their defense. It is not an easy answer, if we turned the ball over like we have, we would be in trouble, but even then, we would move the ball against them!

All that being said, my answer is this, They could not stop our offense! We might stop ourselves but thats the only real chance they would have of stopping us. Sure they might do things to force us to make mistakes, but it would still be us making the mistakes and therefore stopping ourselves.

I would put Clady against any end in the league, He is playing that well. The Pats never went to a max protect, They didn't seem to adjust at all to the Giants front 4. I have no doubt we could block the Giants front 4, even if it meant bringing Graham in to help out...

haroldthebarrel
12-05-2008, 04:28 PM

I don't think we would beat the Giants if we played today, but you didn't ask that, I don't think our D could stop them, but you didn't ask that either.

You asked how our Offense would do against their defense. It is not an easy answer, if we turned the ball over like we have, we would be in trouble, but even then, we would move the ball against them!

All that being said, my answer is this, They could not stop our offense! We might stop ourselves but thats the only real chance they would have of stopping us. Sure they might do things to force us to make mistakes, but it would still be us making the mistakes and therefore stopping ourselves.

I would put Clady against any end in the league, He is playing that well. The Pats never went to a max protect, They didn't seem to adjust at all to the Giants front 4. I have no doubt we could block the Giants front 4, even if it meant bringing Graham in to help out...

oops you are right. none of us actually answered the questions.

I have my doubts we would be able to handle their line and blitzes though.
It isnt like they need the sacks, only to pressure Cutler into forcing the ball.
Next year maybe....

fcspikeit
12-05-2008, 04:30 PM
I think if you put Dilfer at qb for the Bears that game I would guess they would have won. You dont need a qb with questionable decision when your tactics is defense and a heavy run game.

Your right, You can't play ball control on offense with a QB who is always turning it over..

People want to look at Cutler as doing that, but we don't play a ball control offense, we play aggressive because we have to, to win. Who knows, if our D keeps improving and our power running attack stays on course, we might be able to get back to just controlling the ball and be able to win games.

WARHORSE
12-05-2008, 08:00 PM
This offense put up 10 points against the Raiders.

It turned the ball over incessantly against the Chiefs even though there was very little pressure on Jay.

As fun as this offense should theoretically be in the future, it’s no 2007 regular-season NE just yet.

It’s more like an RC car than an Energizer Bunny of offense.

It doesn’t keep going, and going and going.

Instead it is hellaciously fun for about 60 minutes and then you spend the next week pouring time and money into fixing all the burned out parts, then the next couple of weeks tweaking it to get everything working again, then another hour of fun before it breaks down again.

In the future, I hope to have it finely tuned and durable, but for now I happen to think the World Champs could apply enough pressure to crack our non-durable offense.

Still, I’d like to see it. I’d prefer to get cracked in the regular season so we can fix it, rather than in the post-season as Indy had a bad habit of doing to us a few years ago.

~G

In all honesty, Id think you have to admit that game was poorly planned, and poorly executed........and that wasnt because of the Raiderettes. That was because our young QB, along with our young playcaller decided he was going to attack the perimeter. In all honesty, that game, when viewed by one Jay Cutler on film.....was probably kicking himself in the nuts.

Maybe I should have said..........when this offense is clicking........I dont see how its not going to get more and more finessed.

Also, they kept running Hillis off tackle rather than up the gut. We should have been running more.

Im not saying that we cant be beat by the Giants defense..........Im saying we CAN beat the GIants defense.

WARHORSE
12-05-2008, 08:05 PM

Hey!!!! You actually read the thread! Thanks Spike. lol

But yes, that is exactly what Im saying. Our offense is young.........our offensive line is YOUNGER in terms of playing time together. And yet, look at what theyre accomplishing.

In two years, this offensive line, with good health pray to God, will be something very, very impressive in my books.

Jay Cutler with time in the pocket AND mobility AND his arm????

Our futures so bright.............I gotta wear shades.:cool:

WARHORSE
12-05-2008, 08:08 PM
oops you are right. none of us actually answered the questions.

I have my doubts we would be able to handle their line and blitzes though.
It isnt like they need the sacks, only to pressure Cutler into forcing the ball.
Next year maybe....

Thats just it. Pressure on Brady isnt going to translate to pressure on Cutler.

He not only knows how to slide.......he knows how to run. Oh, and uh.......he can throw on the run also. :coffee:SALURPE.

haroldthebarrel
12-05-2008, 08:13 PM
Thats just it. Pressure on Brady isnt going to translate to pressure on Cutler.

He not only knows how to slide.......he knows how to run. Oh, and uh.......he can throw on the run also. :coffee:SALURPE.

I am still not convinced. He usually makes his stupid decisions and force the ball under pressure. He is not Brady, but I would guess Brady makes less stupid mistakes.

And he can throw on the run, just like the ball he got intercepted vs the Jets.
I am playing a bit devils advocate here, but I sincerely have my doubts we could play them without having Graham and a rb/fb in there to block.
It is feast or famine with Cutler. He could destroy them, or he could give them the game. I am thinking in a SB he would be focused enough to not force as much, but I really have no idea.
Good idea of a thread though.

Lonestar
12-05-2008, 08:30 PM
I am still not convinced. He usually makes his stupid decisions and force the ball under pressure. He is not Brady, but I would guess Brady makes less stupid mistakes.

I am playing a bit devils advocate here, but I sincerely have my doubts we could play them without having Graham and a rb/fb in there to block.
It is feast or famine with Cutler. He could destroy them, or he could give them the game. I am thinking in a SB he would be focused enough to not force as much, but I really have no idea.

For me I'm a bit scared of Jay in a big game at least the first time.. For that matter most of our kiddies I fear for.. most of them have little if any playoff experience and Jay frankly has not played on a winning team since HS..

If Jay is on and the receivers are catching the balls this team is pretty impressive.. But I do not see it this year.. WAY to inconsistent and that is because we are so young..

Shazam!
12-05-2008, 10:12 PM
I think last Sunday could be counted as a 'big game' Jr, but I hear what you are saying. He hasn't played in many big spots. I'd rather have Cutler than a 10 year experienced Jake Plummer.

The NYG are similar to the Broncos of yesteryear, meaning they are extremely well balanced all around. They are very efficient on offense and their defense (as usual) is one of the best in the League.

I think Hillis' emergence will be a factor. Even though it is late in the year, the Broncos ma have finally found their running game and it couldn't have come at a better time.

Still not enough to beat the NY Giants who have been rock solid. I like Jacobs and Eli Manning has certainly grown into an impressive QB.

Who would've thought Tiki wouldn't have been missed. The other best thing they did was get rid of Shockey. He's an ass.

WARHORSE
12-06-2008, 02:56 AM

Um, I guess you could point to that one throw of him on the run, but I remember a lot more doing damage.

I think we would score more than Tom and Co did against them in the superbowl. My opium of course.......but if Tom hit his TE, or had someone to make them pay for the coverage on Moss........not to mention what could happen if Brady werent slower than a slug wrapped in tape in a jar of molasses.........in the freezer.........they would have won that game.:coffee:

East Coast Fan
12-06-2008, 02:08 PM

NOW you did it-now I'm having FLASHBACKS to 1987 and that Super Bowl that we SHOULD'VE WON!!!!!!......:lol:

Interesting post, though...;)