PDA

View Full Version : Elway article from '83:Delirium

broncobryce
09-05-2011, 02:49 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1121123/1/index.htm

Denver and, indeed, all Colorado have been caught up with Elwaymania ever since the Broncos signed John to a five-year. $5 million package on May 2. And mediamania has been out of control. Get this. On Saturday, The Denver Post published 14 photos of the Broncos-Seahawks game (including two in color, one on the front page), eight stories and five charts and graphs. The Rocky Mountain News had 10 stories, five photos and one chart. Come on, News, more photos, more charts. Get with it.

Northman
09-05-2011, 02:52 PM
Im guessing your trying to compare Elwaymania to Tebowmania?

broncobryce
09-05-2011, 02:59 PM
Im guessing your trying to compare Elwaymania to Tebowmania?

This was tweeted by Lindsay Jones from the Denver Post. She said something like "Think Tebowmania is crazy? Check out this old Elway article I found..." and had a link to the article.

I imagine if the internet existed back then it would probably be very comparable though.

Dzone
09-05-2011, 05:05 PM
Great article. Brings back memories.

That's the way it is when you are dealing with a phenom going on legend going on saint.

sneakers
09-05-2011, 05:40 PM
LOL 5-year $5 millions dollars.

scott.475
09-05-2011, 05:54 PM

Yep, and he is going to end his life with way more worth and money in the bank than almost any of the people making the huge money contracts today.

Lancane
09-05-2011, 05:55 PM

Yeah, and he was the number one overall pick that year! Tebow made more money with his signing and roster bonuses and he was the 25th overall pick almost three decades later.

The Glue Factory
09-06-2011, 01:16 PM
Yeah, and he was the number one overall pick that year! Tebow made more money with his signing and roster bonuses and he was the 25th overall pick almost three decades later.

And Elway's $5M was probably worth just as much as Tebow's $25M (should he make his incentives.) Since the US went off the gold standard in 1971, the US dollar has lost about 90% of it's value. Thank you Washington D.C. for printing so much money that it's value declines year after year.

But all of that is beside the point (and quite tangential to the discussion.) Elwaymania was much, MUCH worse than Tebowmania. The only thing that makes the current mania worse is the devoted fans of the current object of affection are so obnoxious about their mania.

BroncoJoe
09-06-2011, 01:18 PM

At the time, it was the largest contract in NFL history IIRC.

Slick
09-06-2011, 03:31 PM
At the time, it was the largest contract in NFL history IIRC.
It was. I was 10 at the time and i still remember terry bradshaw raking elway over the coals out of pure jealousy.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

FanInAZ
09-06-2011, 04:01 PM
It was. I was 10 at the time and i still remember terry bradshaw raking elway over the coals out of pure jealousy.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Bradshaw went on to be the President of the Elway Haters club for the entire duration of Elway's career.

Dirk
09-06-2011, 05:39 PM
Bradshaw went on to be the President of the Elway Haters club for the entire duration of Elway's career.

And had to interview him after he won his first Superbowl. :coffee: