PDA

View Full Version : Demaryius Thomas cleared to return to practice

Denver Native (Carol)
09-03-2011, 03:59 PM
Former first-round draft pick Demaryius Thomas will rejoin his teammates at practice this week, less than seven months after suffering a torn Achilles’ tendon.

General manager Brian Xanders said Saturday that Thomas has been cleared to practice, though Thomas will be under close supervision of team trainers as he works to get back into football shape.

rest of article - http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2011/09/03/demaryius-thomas-cleared-to-return-to-practice/9269/

SR
09-03-2011, 04:01 PM
Excellent.

atwater27
09-03-2011, 04:04 PM
Damaged goods. He won't amount to shit anymore. You can't be a world class athlete with a bum achilles.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-03-2011, 04:07 PM
Damaged goods. He won't amount to shit anymore. You can't be a world class athlete with a bum achilles.

Really? I guess Squid should just hang them up, too. Go tell Brandon Stokely, the best slot receiver in the game for 4 years, that your career is over after an achilles tear...

So quick to declare a player finished. At least give him a chance to prove you right.

Tned
09-03-2011, 04:12 PM

Quoted for future reference... ;)

dogfish
09-03-2011, 04:13 PM
i hope they wrap him in 12,000 square feet of bubblewrap every pratice. . . .

atwater27
09-03-2011, 04:19 PM
Really? I guess Squid should just hang them up, too. Go tell Brandon Stokely, the best slot receiver in the game for 4 years, that your career is over after an achilles tear...

So quick to declare a player finished. At least give him a chance to prove you right.

Stokes is the exception, not the rule... and he was also 6 foot 185, and played sparingly pretty much the rest of his career. DT is 6 3 230 and has a history of foot injuries as well.

atwater27
09-03-2011, 04:19 PM
Quoted for future reference... ;)

Which is crow I'll gladly eat if necessary. I wouldn't bet on it though. You guys sure do hate realistic opinions here.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-03-2011, 04:23 PM
Which is crow I'll gladly eat if necessary. I wouldn't bet on it though. You guys sure do hate realistic opinions here.

If it was realistic that he'll never recover, the Broncos' medical staff would know it and tell the coach and we'd release him and pay him off with a medical settlement. I'd say that he's at least 50/50 on a return and a solid career. That's more realistic than just saying "he's done".

Not hating on you, just saying.

Tned
09-03-2011, 04:23 PM

It's not a matter of hating realistic opinions, it's making far flung statements with little basis in fact. Achilles injury or not, not too many GMs, if ANY, would bet on it being more likely that Riley will be around in two years, but DT won't.

We sometimes lose a little grasp on reality when we get so deep into our message board or Madden worlds.

atwater27
09-03-2011, 04:25 PM
Not in a million years did I say cut DT for Riley. Read into things much do we? I am just tempering the wild eyed hopes about Thomas with a little gritty truth.

atwater27
09-03-2011, 04:28 PM
It's not a matter of hating realistic opinions, it's making far flung statements with little basis in fact. Achilles injury or not, not too many GMs, if ANY, would bet on it being more likely that Riley will be around in two years, but DT won't.

We sometimes lose a little grasp on reality when we get so deep into our message board or Madden worlds.

far flung? Little basis in fact? Madden worlds? Are you describing my doubts on an NFL receiver coming back strong from a freaking Achilles tear, which has rarely happened in ANY pro sport, or the blind optimism of those who think it will be like overcoming a light ankle sprain?

HORSEPOWER 56
09-03-2011, 04:29 PM
Not in a million years did I say cut DT for Riley. Read into things much do we? I am just tempering the wild eyed hopes about Thomas with a little gritty truth.

Well in Tned's defense, you did get quite animated about cutting Riley (in the Riley thread) and then went off on a rant about Thomas and his injuries. So, you kinda implied that Riley deserved the roster spot and Thomas should've been cut...

atwater27
09-03-2011, 04:31 PM
Well in Tned's defense, you did get quite animated about cutting Riley (in the Riley thread) and then went off on a rant about Thomas and his injuries. So, you kinda implied that Riley deserved the roster spot and Thomas should've been cut...

How bout we put him on I.R. for the season instead of rushing a crucial recovery time so DT can maybe play and re-injure himself in what everyone outside knows will be a meaningless season?

Slick
09-03-2011, 04:34 PM
I agree with atwater. I think he's done. I hope we're wrong because he showed he had ability before he got hurt. We'll see.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

claymore
09-03-2011, 04:34 PM

Id be shocked if he ever amounts to much. I have zero faith in our ability to resurect someones career after a major medical problem. I think hip surgery is the only exception.

We should have never drafted a WR with a broken foot in the first place.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-03-2011, 04:51 PM
Id be shocked if he ever amounts to much. I have zero faith in our ability to resurect someones career after a major medical problem. I think hip surgery is the only exception.

We should have never drafted a WR with a broken foot in the first place.

But it was cool to draft one who had just missed a whole season with a Lis Franc injury?

I think this era of instant satisfaction has completely ruined the average fan. If a guy doesn't immediately become a pro-bowler as a rookie, he's a bust. If he gets injured, he's injury prone and will never amount to anything.

It's not like our entire season rests on Demaryius Thomas' ability to put up pro-bowl numbers. With the emergence of Lloyd, we already have a true #1 WR so there isn't a huge rush for Thomas to become "the guy". Hopefully, he recovers. Reports from Dove Valley are promising. Why is that so bad?

DenBronx
09-03-2011, 04:55 PM
who knows right now? no one. only time will tell on what DTs fate will be. he needs to get some good hitting in once he puts the pads on and start running some hard routes to test it out.

history says YOU CAN come back from an injury like this. so why just blurt out "he's done" when you really dont know yet?]

Tned
09-03-2011, 04:57 PM
far flung? Little basis in fact? Madden worlds? Are you describing my doubts on an NFL receiver coming back strong from a freaking Achilles tear, which has rarely happened in ANY pro sport, or the blind optimism of those who think it will be like overcoming a light ankle sprain?

I said message board or Madden world, and in reference to how we can often get caught up in the wrong things. See a guy do good in a preseason game or two, or hear one or two positive camp reports, and now we think we know more than the coaches --- like all the calls for BVP to be named starter back when he was the fan fave in camp.

You're carrying on about how Riley, the guy that had a few good catches in preseason shouldn't have gotten cut, and how the professionals, who have actually been monitoring DT's progress, are crazy for thinking that he will even be in the league two years from now.

atwater27
09-03-2011, 04:57 PM
But it was cool to draft one who had just missed a whole season with a Lis Franc injury? that was dumb too.

I think this era of instant satisfaction has completely ruined the average fan. If a guy doesn't immediately become a pro-bowler as a rookie, he's a bust.Nobody is saying that but you. If he gets injured, he's injury prone and will never amount to anything.injury prone is one thing. But there are a few injuries out there that in most cases severely prevents a person from coming back and performing at an NFL worthy level.

It's not like our entire season rests on Demaryius Thomas' ability to put up pro-bowl numbers. With the emergence of Lloyd, we already have a true #1 WR so there isn't a huge rush for Thomas to become "the guy". Hopefully, he recovers. Reports from Dove Valley are promising. Why is that so bad?

It's not bad. Forget I said anything. Sorry i went against the groupthink.

Slick
09-03-2011, 05:11 PM
Not trying to be a downer hp, just how i see it ending up.

I wish DT the best. I would love to see him bounce back.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-03-2011, 05:31 PM
Not trying to be a downer hp, just how i see it ending up.

I wish DT the best. I would love to see him bounce back.

Oh I completely understand, Slick. There's a difference between saying, "the odds are against him returning to form after an achilles injury" and saying, "he's done, so done in fact we should cut his first round draft pick ass and give his spot to a UDFA who played well in one or two preseason games"...

I don't think anyone doesn't realize that Thomas has an uphill climb and the odds are against him being exactly the same guy he was before, but lucky for him, he's not just fast, he's also big and strong and has good hands. Guys return from achilles injuries all the time in the NFL. Just like a torn ACL, the likelihood of returning has greatly improved over the years.

We'll see. Reports from the FO on him are good. I just don't see the reason for the negativity toward this guy. He's one of the good guys on the roster. It's almost as if some want him to fail just so they can say "LOOK! I TOLD YOU SO, THOMAS IS A BUST BECAUSE MCDANIELS SUCKS AT DRAFTING, JUST ANOTHER MCDANIELS FAILURE!!!"

I'd much rather have at least some of McDaniels' picks pan out and play up to expectations. But I'm totally biased because I like Thomas. If you don't, you're probably rooting for him to fail.

Northman
09-03-2011, 05:32 PM
But it was cool to draft one who had just missed a whole season with a Lis Franc injury?

I think this era of instant satisfaction has completely ruined the average fan. If a guy doesn't immediately become a pro-bowler as a rookie, he's a bust. If he gets injured, he's injury prone and will never amount to anything.

Well, not really the same thing bro. Decker was a much lower risk than taking DT in the first.

nevcraw
09-03-2011, 05:35 PM
wow - this thread is pretty caffienated!! look, the kid is very young still, he has had 2 injuries back to back.. 2nd could have been a result of overtraining to get over the foot. the fact he is starting to practise now, this soon, says to me he's got a least a decent shot at a productive return.
He certainly showed he had the drive and talent when he did play to give him the benny of the doubt..

HORSEPOWER 56
09-03-2011, 05:39 PM
Well, not really the same thing bro. Decker was a much lower risk than taking DT in the first.

Sure, he was a small risk because of his broken foot, but it's not like he didn't have a first round grade on him. Had we not taken him where we did, the Ravens would have the next pick. They admitted as much. Seriously, when is a broken bone (which happens ALLLLLL the time), a "risky" injury? Broken bones heal and guys keep playing. I can't think of many (other than Theismann's leg) that had any effect one way or another on a player's ability to play once it healed.

It's not like he had a reconstructed knee, it was a broken foot bone. Shit, Plummer broke a bone in his foot at his house. Didn't mean he was a worse QB because of it.

Slick
09-03-2011, 05:43 PM
who knows right now? no one. only time will tell on what DTs fate will be. he needs to get some good hitting in once he puts the pads on and start running some hard routes to test it out.

history says YOU CAN come back from an injury like this. so why just blurt out "he's done" when you really dont know yet?

Because some of us think he is done, and won't make it back. It doesn't mean we wish him to be done. next time I'll say, "I think he's done but I'm pulling for him" so I don't hurt anyone's feelings. He could come back from this i just don't think it's likely.

Oh I completely understand, Slick. There's a difference between saying, "the odds are against him returning to form after an achilles injury" and saying, "he's done, so done in fact we should cut his first round draft pick ass and give his spot to a UDFA who played well in one or two preseason games"...

I don't think anyone doesn't realize that Thomas has an uphill climb and the odds are against him being exactly the same guy he was before, but lucky for him, he's not just fast, he's also big and strong and has good hands. Guys return from achilles injuries all the time in the NFL. Just like a torn ACL, the likelihood of returning has greatly improved over the years.

We'll see. Reports from the FO on him are good. I just don't see the reason for the negativity toward this guy. He's one of the good guys on the roster. It's almost as if some want him to fail just so they can say "LOOK! I TOLD YOU SO, THOMAS IS A BUST BECAUSE MCDANIELS SUCKS AT DRAFTING, JUST ANOTHER MCDANIELS FAILURE!!!"

I'd much rather have at least some of McDaniels' picks pan out and play up to expectations. But I'm totally biased because I like Thomas. If you don't, you're probably rooting for him to fail.

I don't think there's anyone here who wants to see any more of McDaniels draft picks not work out. Enough of them haven't and when they fail, it hurts the Broncos. Anyone playing the I told you so card is more worried about playing the card than the well being of the Broncos, something we all want.

Northman
09-03-2011, 05:44 PM
Sure, he was a small risk because of his broken foot, but it's not like he didn't have a first round grade on him. Had we not taken him where we did, the Ravens would have the next pick. They admitted as much. Seriously, when is a broken bone (which happens ALLLLLL the time), a "risky" injury? Broken bones heal and guys keep playing. I can't think of many (other than Theismann's leg) that had any effect one way or another on a player's ability to play once it healed.

It's not like he had a reconstructed knee, it was a broken foot bone. Shit, Plummer broke a bone in his foot at his house. Didn't mean he was a worse QB because of it.

All of this is true but i think i do agree with the other guys i just dont see it happening. Just a gut feeling on my part.

nevcraw
09-03-2011, 05:44 PM
http://www.lowerextremityreview.com/article/return-to-football-after-achilles-tendon-rupture

not necc uplifting news on players returning to form post rupture but a good read on the injury and studies aroubd it..

BroncoBJ
09-03-2011, 06:32 PM
Well that is pretty good news, I just hope we don't rush him. Last thing I want to see is him go down with another injury :( .. I feel when heatlhy, he can be a star. Hard to get excited for him now with his injuries. If he can play this year and next year being healthy, then I'd start to trust him again.

Hope he is fully healed and has an impressive year. :salute:

Northman
09-03-2011, 06:35 PM
The only problem is it usually takes 3 years for a WR to blossom. DT is already behind the eight ball because of injury. Even if he makes it back we may not see any REAL production from until about 2015.

BroncoStud
09-03-2011, 06:58 PM
If it was realistic that he'll never recover, the Broncos' medical staff would know it and tell the coach and we'd release him and pay him off with a medical settlement. I'd say that he's at least 50/50 on a return and a solid career. That's more realistic than just saying "he's done".

Not hating on you, just saying.

Judging by our injury and recovery history over the past decade I wouldn't hold the Denver medical staff in very high regard when it comes to player evaluation.

Northman
09-03-2011, 07:01 PM
Award or not i dont think our medical staff is that good. As Dog pointed out as well we've had some players severely question the professional aspect of that same medical staff as well.

Dzone
09-03-2011, 07:16 PM
We're talking a ruptured Achilles tendon here

HORSEPOWER 56
09-03-2011, 08:39 PM
We're talking a ruptured Achilles tendon here

No, we're talking a partially torn achilles, not a complete rupture. A complete rupture means you're on the shelf for a full year. A partial tear depends on the severity and other factors such as your age, the quality of treatment, and physical health.

claymore
09-03-2011, 09:04 PM

I understand patience, but when you draft someone in the first couple rounds... The goal is for them to be immidiate contributers.

He has played in like 2 games in 2 years. Alphonso smith was more of a contributer.

DenBronx
09-03-2011, 09:15 PM
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k272/DenBronx/128946866541515515.jpg

I Eat Staples
09-03-2011, 09:51 PM
I can see both sides of the argument. I personally don't feel he'll ever amount to anything now, but his talent is worth the time and effort to try and rehab him.

I wasn't happy that we drafted him, but not because of his foot injury. It was because Dez Bryant is simply the better player.

Clipworthy
09-03-2011, 10:01 PM
hmm I didn't realize that achilles injurys make players shrink.

Oh yeah, he's still huge.

And he hasn't lost a step according to reports I've read of watching him do sprints and other drills.

I'm ready for some Optimus

robert ethan
09-03-2011, 10:50 PM

Lol, you taking time off from your duties at the Mayo Clinic to deliver that bit of expertise?:rolleyes:

Pretty dramatic pronouncement. Thomas is young, had no history of foot problems prior to last year, and had exceptional speed for a big man. If he loses a bit of that, he is still 6-3, 230, with long arms, huge hands, and very smart. He could lose 2/10ths of a second on his 40 time and still be faster than Brandon Marshall, Marques Colston, Plaxico Burress, Mike Williams, and a few other big receivers around the league.

Elevation inc
09-03-2011, 10:56 PM
No, we're talking a partially torn achilles, not a complete rupture. A complete rupture means you're on the shelf for a full year. A partial tear depends on the severity and other factors such as your age, the quality of treatment, and physical health.

I wondered how long it would take to bring up the partial tear. good stuff.... usually a 6-8 month window with good return rate for partial tears if its a full tear or full blown up achilles that is career threatning big time, sadly the squid may be done for good for example his was bad apprently, IF DT is cleared how can it be a bad thing and eron will be on the PS anyways if he doesnt get claimed.

Elevation inc
09-03-2011, 10:58 PM
I understand patience, but when you draft someone in the first couple rounds... The goal is for them to be immidiate contributers.

He has played in like 2 games in 2 years. Alphonso smith was more of a contributer.

to be fair when he was finally healthy after the foot stuff josh made the horrible decision to put him on KR and that wasnt his fault.....a 6-3 target for gunners god what a stupid call that was

claymore
09-03-2011, 11:03 PM
to be fair when he was finally healthy after the foot stuff josh made the horrible decision to put him on KR and that wasnt his fault.....a 6-3 target for gunners god what a stupid call that was

That was flat out retarded. I thought McDaniels was a complete idiot, even with my very, very low opinion of McDaniels, I was still shocked by that decision.

So glad that moron is out of Denver.

Dzone
09-03-2011, 11:07 PM

So its partially torn? I was under the impression that it completely ruptured. A partial tear is a whole different story. And depending on how much of the tendon was still intact.

Tned
09-03-2011, 11:45 PM

Ok, I'm lost as to who you're talking about.

If Torrain, then he was a 5th round pick, which isn't in the first couple rounds. He only played two games in two years.

If D. Thomas, he was only drafted last year, and played in 9 or 10 games last year.

So, either way, I'm having trouble following who you're talking about and what the point is.

Northman
09-03-2011, 11:48 PM
Ok, I'm lost as to who you're talking about.

If Torrain, then he was a 5th round pick, which isn't in the first couple rounds. He only played two games in two years.

If D. Thomas, he was only drafted last year, and played in 9 or 10 games last year.

So, either way, I'm having trouble following who you're talking about and what the point is.

I think he means that Thomas only started two games.

DenBronx
09-03-2011, 11:52 PM
I can see both sides of the argument. I personally don't feel he'll ever amount to anything now, but his talent is worth the time and effort to try and rehab him.

I wasn't happy that we drafted him, but not because of his foot injury. It was because Dez Bryant is simply the better player.

yeah...that still doesnt make sense. joshy just didnt want to take him because of the marshall episode. but talent is talent. if the guy acts like a diva then you could at least trade him for near value or in marshalls case, more then what we paid value.

and as much as i like eddie....i also was upset as passing on desean jackson a few years back.

llyod, desean jackson, dez bryant?

atwater27
09-04-2011, 12:17 AM
Oh I completely understand, Slick. There's a difference between saying, "the odds are against him returning to form after an achilles injury" and saying, "he's done, so done in fact we should cut his first round draft pick ass and give his spot to a UDFA who played well in one or two preseason games"...I didn't say that guy. Learn how to read there, chief.

I don't think anyone doesn't realize that Thomas has an uphill climb and the odds are against him being exactly the same guy he was before, but lucky for him, he's not just fast, he's also big and strong and has good hands. Guys return from achilles injuries all the time in the NFL.Elaborate on that a little. Just like a torn ACL, the likelihood of returning has greatly improved over the years.

We'll see. Reports from the FO on him are good. I just don't see the reason for the negativity toward this guy. He's one of the good guys on the roster. It's almost as if some want him to fail just so they can say "LOOK! I TOLD YOU SO, THOMAS IS A BUST BECAUSE MCDANIELS SUCKS AT DRAFTING, JUST ANOTHER MCDANIELS FAILURE!!!"Please. Weak ass shit.

I like Thomas. Thought we should have gone defense with the pick. I challenge you to find one post that suggests I don't like him or that I hope he fails so i can talk about how much Josh McDaniels sucks at drafting. (We all know that anyways) You won't find anything, so just keep on talking shit with nothing to back it up.

atwater27
09-04-2011, 12:19 AM
Because some of us think he is done, and won't make it back. It doesn't mean we wish him to be done. next time I'll say, "I think he's done but I'm pulling for him" so I don't hurt anyone's feelings. He could come back from this i just don't think it's likely.

I don't think there's anyone here who wants to see any more of McDaniels draft picks not work out. Enough of them haven't and when they fail, it hurts the Broncos. Anyone playing the I told you so card is more worried about playing the card than the well being of the Broncos, something we all want.

Thank you for bringing some sense to the conversation.:beer:

Dzone
09-04-2011, 12:55 AM
http://www.lowerextremityreview.com/article/return-to-football-after-achilles-tendon-rupture

not necc uplifting news on players returning to form post rupture but a good read on the injury and studies aroubd it..
Ok, good article about achilles RUPTURE...someone earlier said D Thomas' was only a partial tear and not a rupture. Big difference. Does ANYONE know if the injury suffered by D Thomas was a complete rupture or a partially torn tendon?????

Isnt it ironic that we passed on Dez Bryant because of character concerns only to have D Thomas become buddies with a POS named Perrish Cox?

robert ethan
09-04-2011, 02:10 AM

What are you babbling about?:confused: DeMaryius played in at least 10 games in THE ONLY SEASON HE HAS BEEN IN THE LEAGUE. If you guys didn't spend all your time arguing with each other here like a bunch of old women, you might have a clue what is happening with the football team.

robert ethan
09-04-2011, 02:12 AM
Ok, good article about achilles RUPTURE...someone earlier said D Thomas' was only a partial tear and not a rupture. Big difference. Does ANYONE know if the injury suffered by D Thomas was a complete rupture or a partially torn tendon?????

Isnt it ironic that we passed on Dez Bryant because of character concerns only to have D Thomas become buddies with a POS named Perrish Cox?

If Thomas never plays another game in the league he will still be a better pick than that braindead turd Bryant.

Traveler
09-04-2011, 08:28 AM
If Thomas never plays another game in the league he will still be a better pick than that braindead turd Bryant.

How? While being less of a headache off the field, Thomas would become another wasted draft pick providing nothing for the team. Bryant, while still an idiot would at least provide production for the Cowboys.

claymore
09-04-2011, 08:51 AM
What are you babbling about?:confused: DeMaryius played in at least 10 games in THE ONLY SEASON HE HAS BEEN IN THE LEAGUE. If you guys didn't spend all your time arguing with each other here like a bunch of old women, you might have a clue what is happening with the football team.

He started 2 games. I forgot he was only here for the 2010 season. THe McDaniels era seemed like an eternity.

I think everyone in America has a better pulse on the Denver Broncos than you do. You still believe in McDaniels decisions. Even though Josh McDaniels was one of, if not the worst coaching hires in the history of sports.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-04-2011, 11:30 AM
How? While being less of a headache off the field, Thomas would become another wasted draft pick providing nothing for the team. Bryant, while still an idiot would at least provide production for the Cowboys.

While that might be true about Bryant, the FO was obviously skeptical about him especially after Brandon Marshall. So far, Bryant hasn't disappointed in that regard. Big talent, small character.

Give it time until Bryant puts up big stats one year, then the Cowboys will have to deal with the same crap we did with Marshall's contract disputes. Hasn't he already had a couple off field incidents? Like getting banned from a mall because he won't pull his pants up and having to have attorneys go after him to pay his jewelry bills? Yeah, that's something I want to worry about as a football team.

His talent is undeniable, but at what cost?

Yes, if Thomas doesn't pan out we can call him a wasted pick, but seriously who could've predicted he'd tear an achilles? Prior to Denver, his only substantial injury was the broken foot suffered while working out for the combine. He was never seen as an injury risk before.

All I know is, I've seen him whip Darrelle Revis one on one - as a rookie. That's good enough for me to give him a chance.

NightTerror218
09-04-2011, 11:43 AM
good to hear......give him some extra padding to cover glass and let him prove he is not a bust

D1g1tal j1m
09-04-2011, 11:49 AM
I just hope they don't rush DT onto the field just because they may need a playmaker on offense. With his history of injuries (which can't be ignored), he needs to be closely monitored and not put on the field until he is truly ready and healthy.

He showed some flashes of being a matchup nightmare for opposing defenses and I have a feeling we may need all the weapons we can on offense this year.

claymore
09-04-2011, 12:19 PM
While that might be true about Bryant, the FO was obviously skeptical about him especially after Brandon Marshall. So far, Bryant hasn't disappointed in that regard. Big talent, small character.

Give it time until Bryant puts up big stats one year, then the Cowboys will have to deal with the same crap we did with Marshall's contract disputes. Hasn't he already had a couple off field incidents? Like getting banned from a mall because he won't pull his pants up and having to have attorneys go after him to pay his jewelry bills? Yeah, that's something I want to worry about as a football team.

His talent is undeniable, but at what cost?

Yes, if Thomas doesn't pan out we can call him a wasted pick, but seriously who could've predicted he'd tear an achilles? Prior to Denver, his only substantial injury was the broken foot suffered while working out for the combine. He was never seen as an injury risk before.

All I know is, I've seen him whip Darrelle Revis one on one - as a rookie. That's good enough for me to give him a chance.
His potential is exciting to say the least. I dont think anyone can argue that. Love the kid, just hope he stays healthy.

pnbronco
09-04-2011, 12:23 PM
I just hope they don't rush DT onto the field just because they may need a playmaker on offense. With his history of injuries (which can't be ignored), he needs to be closely monitored and not put on the field until he is truly ready and healthy.

He showed some flashes of being a matchup nightmare for opposing defenses and I have a feeling we may need all the weapons we can on offense this year.

That how I see it jim. I just really, really hope no one including him rushes this whole thing and can heal properly and come back. It's good for everyone if this works out.

Northman
09-04-2011, 12:35 PM

I dont see them hurrying him back. They got a good solid stable of receivers in front of him who can get it done.

Agent of Orange
09-04-2011, 12:53 PM
We traded down too far. We could have drafted Pouncey and been set at center.

WARHORSE
09-04-2011, 01:03 PM
Well, from reading the article on achilles injury, looks like Demaryius is a question mark.

If being applied to Thomas, then while he may have been cleared to practice with the team, he is most assuredly not cleared to go at maximum effort.

Hopefully his injury was a partial tear and tension was able to be restored to the tendon.

Count me as one of the people who thinks that with health, Thomas is going to be a beast of a STUD on the field.

I LOVED the flashes of him we got the chance to see, and imo the only thing that hampered him was time. The offense is an intricate one, and all the players involved have taken a couple of years to get to the point of reaction.

Im praying for his recovery to the full and would love to see him dominating opponents while wearing the blue and orange.

Tned
09-04-2011, 01:09 PM
I think he means that Thomas only started two games.

Ok, based on the fact he high-fived your post, we can go with that.

First, I don't think you can count his last year in college against him for only starting two games in two years. He's only been in the NFL one year, but again, that's me. I guess in the same way we can say Cam Newton's a bust, because he didn't a single NFL game in his last year of college...

Ok, let's assume he made a mistake on the two years thing, or was claiming he wouldn't play, or I guess start, any games in 2011. Even if that turns out to be true, coming off an Achilles injury, that isn't two surprising.

Getting back to last year. I'm sure Clay, like most NFL fans, knows how EXTREMELY rare it is for a wide receiver to produce as a rookie.

For those that don't know this fact, you might be surprised to learn that Eddie Royals 91 receptions as a rookie is the second most receptions EVER by a rookie wide receiver.

Except in very rare circumstances, rookie wide receivers rarely are impact players.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-04-2011, 01:09 PM
We traded down too far. We could have drafted Pouncey and been set at center.

True, but Walton has shown improvement thus far. He might never be Tom Nalen, but he can be adequate.

Pouncey might be related to Orton. He messed up his ankle again in the preseason game the other night.

Northman
09-04-2011, 01:47 PM

First, I don't think you can count his last year in college against him for only starting two games in two years. He's only been in the NFL one year, but again, that's me. I guess in the same way we can say Cam Newton's a bust, because he didn't a single NFL game in his last year of college...

Ok, let's assume he made a mistake on the two years thing, or was claiming he wouldn't play, or I guess start, any games in 2011. Even if that turns out to be true, coming off an Achilles injury, that isn't two surprising.

Getting back to last year. I'm sure Clay, like most NFL fans, knows how EXTREMELY rare it is for a wide receiver to produce as a rookie.

For those that don't know this fact, you might be surprised to learn that Eddie Royals 91 receptions as a rookie is the second most receptions EVER by a rookie wide receiver.

Except in very rare circumstances, rookie wide receivers rarely are impact players.

Well, and i think thats the rub.

While im sure Clay knows that its not very often for a WR to produce out of the box (Marshall took about 2 years to kickstart) to have a player with an injury only sets back that the timetable even more. Right now DT is not only fighting getting back to 100% but he is behind a solid stable of WR's so we've spent a #1 round pick on a guy who isnt even in the starting lineup. For me, its just like many of the other picks McD made i just have to question the logic as too why he would take projects.

As to Royal, i would also point to who was throwing him the ball at the time. Since that change Royal hasnt seen the ball much both because the current QB doesnt unlock off of Lloyd but because the former coach poorly used him in his system. I dont know, even if DT bounces back from his injury i just find it hard for him to find time in the starting lineup with the other guys who have already stepped up.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-04-2011, 01:49 PM

While im sure Clay knows that its not very often for a WR to produce out of the box (Marshall took about 2 years to kickstart) to have a player with an injury only sets back that the timetable even more. Right now DT is not only fighting getting back to 100% but he is behind a solid stable of WR's so we've spent a #1 round pick on a guy who isnt even in the starting lineup. For me, its just like many of the other picks McD made i just have to question the logic as too why he would take projects.

As to Royal, i would also point to who was throwing him the ball at the time. Since that change Royal hasnt seen the ball much both because the current QB doesnt unlock off of Lloyd but because the former coach poorly used him in his system. I dont know, even if DT bounces back from his injury i just find it hard for him to find time in the starting lineup with the other guys who have already stepped up.

This, my friend, is a well presented argument! :beer:

Tned
09-04-2011, 02:00 PM

The who was throwing him the ball argument just highlights how unusual that rookie production from Royal was. Again, that was the SECOND best reception total by a rookie WR in this history of the NFL. As a rule, rookie WR's simply don't make impacts on a team. They might have a good game or two, or have some key catches, but they take two to three years before they become impact players.

Your memory on Marshall (depending on if you mean he was productive in his second year or took two years to develop -- productive in third year) is a bit shaky, but still a good example. He didn't really start to get the majority of his playing time until Cutler took over in '06, and only had 20 receptions (I think DT had 22 last year, so similar). In his second year, Marshall was a consistent producer all year long and had a 100+ catch season in his second year.

Northman
09-04-2011, 02:05 PM
The who was throwing him the ball argument just highlights how unusual that rookie production from Royal was. Again, that was the SECOND best reception total by a rookie WR in this history of the NFL. As a rule, rookie WR's simply don't make impacts on a team. They might have a good game or two, or have some key catches, but they take two to three years before they become impact players.

Your memory on Marshall (depending on if you mean he was productive in his second year or took two years to develop -- productive in third year) is a bit shaky, but still a good example. He didn't really start to get the majority of his playing time until Cutler took over in '06, and only had 20 receptions (I think DT had 22 last year, so similar). In his second year, Marshall was a consistent producer all year long and had a 100+ catch season in his second year.

Be that as it may, if Lloyd repeats his feat from last year i dont see DT getting any playing time. So we would have spent a first round pick on a guy sitting the bench which is pointless and i think that is what bothers some people like Clay.

claymore
09-04-2011, 02:07 PM

I made a mistake on the 2 year thing.

I am not arguing that DT is incapable of playing when healthy. I am stating that I dont believe he will ever stay healthy.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-04-2011, 02:10 PM
Be that as it may, if Lloyd repeats his feat from last year i dont see DT getting any playing time. So we would have spent a first round pick on a guy sitting the bench which is pointless and i think that is what bothers some people like Clay.

On the other hand, if Thomas can get back into game shape and finishes the season strong, it may provide a dilemma for the front office concerning Lloyd. Once again, it's a contract year for Lloyd and if he comes anywhere close to last year's production, he will demand BANK in his next contract. Depending on if Thomas returns and how he plays combined with Decker and Royal's play, Lloyd may be considered not worth the scratch, particularly if we're a predominantly running team.

I think Eddie Royal is safe, however, and will probably retire a Bronco. He's a nice guy, humble, and never has a bad thing to say to or about anyone. He's a solid #2/#3 WR who is also valuable as a punt returner. He won't command top dollar and will be an easy choice to re-sign when the time is right.

claymore
09-04-2011, 02:10 PM

That coupled with the Tebow pick... 2 players that couldnt compete for a starting job the day a #1 pick was spent on them.

McD is thew dumbest human on the planet. :tsk:

Im refreshed by the new regime spending picks on dudes that actually fit, and can compete on day one. With the exception of Orange Julius there doesnt seem to be a reach.

Tned
09-04-2011, 02:12 PM

Yes, but we have to remove emotion and look at facts.

It's well known I have been critical of many of McDaniels moves, and I think a STRONG argument could be made that he should have picked Dez. There is also a lot of people that feel the only reason he passed on Dez, was to avoid the criticism of picking a talented WR with questionable character after jettisoning Marshall.

Anyway, how many people expected Lloyd to have a year like he did last year. First Bronco ever to lead the league in receiving yards, I believe. So, since nobody could have predicted Lloyd in his seventh or eighth season to put up numbers completely unlike anything he'd done before, WR was a big need on the team. It's always a risk to pick a player with an injury, but since he was playing by week 2, it wasn't a major factor. In fact, you can make a case that if Lloyd had played like his previous six or seven years (forgetting how many it was now), then DT probably would have been a bigger part of the gameplan.

I'm sorry, I think it's ridiculous to claim that the Alphonso Smith pick (trading a first for it) was a better pick than DT.

Northman
09-04-2011, 02:13 PM
On the other hand, if Thomas can get back into game shape and finishes the season strong, it may provide a dilemma for the front office concerning Lloyd. Once again, it's a contract year for Lloyd and if he comes anywhere close to last year's production, he will demand BANK in his next contract. Depending on if Thomas returns and how he plays combined with Decker and Royal's play, Lloyd may be considered not worth the scratch, particularly if we're a predominantly running team.

I think Eddie Royal is safe, however, and will probably retire a Bronco. He's a nice guy, humble, and never has a bad thing to say to or about anyone. He's a solid #2/#3 WR who is also valuable as a punt returner. He won't command top dollar and will be an easy choice to re-sign when the time is right.

All true but here's the problem. At what point do you actually take the time to pay a player? Every great player will want cash so if Lloyd is proving he can be that guy why worry about cutting him loose and signing DT if he hasnt proven to be much better than Lloyd? With Marshall it was easy to understand why we didnt pay him. But with Lloyd, there is no headcase and there is no concern for injury. If Lloyd plays up to par again this year i would feel far more comfortable paying him what he's worth rather than risking it all on DT who may not stay healthy.

Northman
09-04-2011, 02:16 PM
I'm sorry, I think it's ridiculous to claim that the Alphonso Smith pick (trading a first for it) was a better pick than DT.

Actually, ive never made that claim. The Smith pick was moronic based off of what we did to get him.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-04-2011, 02:19 PM
That coupled with the Tebow pick... 2 players that couldnt compete for a starting job the day a #1 pick was spent on them.

McD is thew dumbest human on the planet. :tsk:

Im refreshed by the new regime spending picks on dudes that actually fit, and can compete on day one. With the exception of Orange Julius there doesnt seem to be a reach.

How many QBs, even first round picks, can truly compete for a starting job from day one? Some get the start based on the team having no other real option (like St Louis and Carolina), but of the top 5 QBs currently in the league (Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Rivers, and Brees) only Manning started their first year and he was terrible and played like a rookie. Rivers, Rodgers, Brees, and Brady all were backups.

I don't fault Tebow for not being able to beat out an 7 year vet right away. The longer he sits, more than likely the better he'll be when he does get his shot. He made marked improvement from the preseason last year to the last 3 games. With the lockout and another new playbook it was hard for him to really compete for the #1 spot. I haven't lost faith he can be good one day, too.

atwater27
09-04-2011, 02:20 PM
DT should be on I.R. rushing him back isn't going to do him or the team any good. It's not like we are going to make any noise in the win column this season, so why risk future seasons of potentially healthy production just to have a light duty/rehabbing/ not 100%/ huge re-injurt risk on the field when we have plenty of healthy good receivers ready to go already?

HORSEPOWER 56
09-04-2011, 02:28 PM
All true but here's the problem. At what point do you actually take the time to pay a player? Every great player will want cash so if Lloyd is proving he can be that guy why worry about cutting him loose and signing DT if he hasnt proven to be much better than Lloyd? With Marshall it was easy to understand why we didnt pay him. But with Lloyd, there is no headcase and there is no concern for injury. If Lloyd plays up to par again this year i would feel far more comfortable paying him what he's worth rather than risking it all on DT who may not stay healthy.

I agree completely, but DT, even as a 1st round pick, will make way less than Lloyd (who is 30 and will be 31 next season). It's not even about play, it will be about money. DT is already bought and paid for for 4 more years Will we want to invest top 5 money on a 31 year old three-time previous loser who is trying to ressurect his career and finally at 30 years old decided he wants to play WR in the NFL? Maybe. Maybe not.

It's not like Lloyd hasn't has injuries before, either. He missed almost an entire season with the Bears (his one) with injury. Don't get me wrong, I love what Lloyd is doing for us, I just won't believe he will do it again until I see it. I think that's why the FO hasn't offered to extend him yet in a contract year - or so it would appear.

claymore
09-04-2011, 02:29 PM
How many QBs, even first round picks, can truly compete for a starting job from day one? Some get the start based on the team having no other real option (like St Louis and Carolina), but of the top 5 QBs currently in the league (Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Rivers, and Brees) only Manning started their first year and he was terrible and played like a rookie. Rivers, Rodgers, Brees, and Brady all were backups.

I don't fault Tebow for not being able to beat out an 7 year vet right away. The longer he sits, more than likely the better he'll be when he does get his shot. He made marked improvement from the preseason last year to the last 3 games. With the lockout and another new playbook it was hard for him to really compete for the #1 spot. I haven't lost faith he can be good one day, too.

We had to many holes to draft 2 players that couldnt compete. Thats all Im saying. All the QB's listed above probably even Manning had better QB's ahead of them on the Roster than Tebow does.

Tned
09-04-2011, 02:30 PM
Actually, ive never made that claim. The Smith pick was moronic based off of what we did to get him.

No, Clay did, in his argument that you've been defending. Sorry, I should have been more clear on the point I was making.

Clay said the DT pick was so bad, that the Smith pick was better (paraphrasing), and that's what started this whole line of conversation.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-04-2011, 02:34 PM
We had to many holes to draft 2 players that couldnt compete. Thats all Im saying. All the QB's listed above probably even Manning had better QB's ahead of them on the Roster than Tebow does.

I don't disagree, but I thought drafting DTs was our biggest need for the #32 ranked defense and we didn't even sniff one this past year. Apparently, LB and TE depth was much more important. :whoknows:

claymore
09-04-2011, 02:40 PM
No, Clay did, in his argument that you've been defending. Sorry, I should have been more clear on the point I was making.

Clay said the DT pick was so bad, that the Smith pick was better (paraphrasing), and that's what started this whole like of conversation.

Not what I said at all.

claymore
09-04-2011, 02:42 PM
I don't disagree, but I thought drafting DTs was our biggest need for the #32 ranked defense and we didn't even sniff one this past year. Apparently, LB and TE depth was much more important. :whoknows:

At least we addressed the front 7 with players that can compete, and or add depth right away.

I think we went for 3 starters and the BPA which I can get behind.

Reaching on players that CANT start, in the first round is just stupid. IMO

atwater27
09-04-2011, 05:35 PM
Not what I said at all.

Yeah. there is some serious words being put into our mouths in this conversation. WTF?

Tned
09-04-2011, 06:38 PM
Not what I said at all.

Fair enough, here's what you said. Not quite the way I described it.

Tned
12-08-2011, 01:17 AM

One game does not a career make, but...

Jsteve01
12-08-2011, 01:27 AM
Here's what I've been saying since draft day. Decker has a much higher floor than Thomas and will probably outplay him for at least two years. But if Thomas ever even comes close to reaching his vast physical potential, then watch out. The two of these guys could be an extremely scary tandem

DenBronx
12-08-2011, 03:14 AM
As I was saying back in September......YES YOU CAN come back from an achillies injury.

Dzone
12-08-2011, 04:06 AM
As I was saying back in September......YES YOU CAN come back from an achillies injury.
I'll tell ya, you were right. That move he put on that dude on his way to the goal line didnt look like a guy with a bad achilles. If he can keep playing like that, we will forget all about Dez Bryant.
I am happy to eat crow with regards to Demaryious Thomas. It was easy to assume that he was just another Mcdaniels bust. He is one of many surprises of the season.

TXBRONC
12-08-2011, 07:58 AM
One game does not a career make, but...

An achilles injury like tearing an acl take will rob them of some of their ability. An acl can rob you of speed and achilles injury could rob you of running and leaping ability.

claymore
12-08-2011, 08:33 AM
Hopefully he can continue to stay healthy. I dont think anyone questions his abilities when he is 100%.

threefolddead
12-08-2011, 08:42 AM
An achilles injury like tearing an acl take will rob them of some of their ability. An acl can rob you of speed and achilles injury could rob you of running and leaping ability.

It can really screw you when your trying to take over Troy too.

TXBRONC
12-08-2011, 09:38 AM
It can really screw you when your trying to take over Troy too.

Got that right. Taking an arrow to the achilles sucks big time.