PDA

View Full Version : Broncos add former Bengals safety

Denver Native (Carol)
12-03-2008, 04:54 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_11129327?source=rss

The Broncos added depth to their safety position Wednesday by signing Herna-Daze Jones.

A special teams player the previous two seasons with the Cincinnati Bengals, Jones was waived by the team last month. Jones, 26, had been plagued by a hamstring injury.

The former Indiana University prospect fills the roster spot vacated by defensive tackle Josh Shaw, who was placed on the injured reserve list Tuesday.

Gamechanger
12-03-2008, 04:57 PM
never trust a safety with three names......

haroldthebarrel
12-03-2008, 05:00 PM
Madieu Williams was available this off season. Just saying....

LoyalSoldier
12-03-2008, 05:01 PM
"Former Bengal" was more than enough to make me worry if he ever plays.

haroldthebarrel
12-03-2008, 05:02 PM
"Former Bengal" was more than enough to make me worry if he ever plays.

LOL.... for some reason Bengal and Lions players seem to find themselves playing good elsewhere.

Medford Bronco
12-03-2008, 05:03 PM
LOL.... for some reason Bengal and Lions players seem to find themselves playing good elsewhere.

except for Delta Oniel who sucks on whatever team he is on

LRtagger
12-03-2008, 05:03 PM
Why was he released? Surely it wasnt because of a lingering hamstring injury...and if it was, why are we (of all teams) signing him to the roster?

About a month ago is when their special teams ace and rookie safety Corey Lynch went on IR. And they still released this guy? I'm guessing he is not very good. I guess we are going to keep bringing in guys off the street to play safety and maybe we will get lucky with one of them :confused:

haroldthebarrel
12-03-2008, 05:05 PM
except for Delta Oniel who sucks on whatever team he is on

didnt he have a pro bowl season at the Bengals though?

He is starting at the Pats now I believe, but everybody in that secondary seems to not suck as much.

Medford Bronco
12-03-2008, 05:14 PM
didnt he have a pro bowl season at the Bengals though?

He is starting at the Pats now I believe, but everybody in that secondary seems to not suck as much.

He did have one good year in Cincy but in general he is an overrated corner who gets toasted on the long ball. Just ask the NE fans about his last game vs Pitt and his various trials and tribulations this year. He is putrid.

Delta Oniel is like Delta Airlines, soon to be out of business :lol:

haroldthebarrel
12-03-2008, 05:19 PM
He did have one good year in Cincy but in general he is an overrated corner who gets toasted on the long ball. Just ask the NE fans about his last game vs Pitt and his various trials and tribulations this year. He is putrid.

Well I am not a particular fan of him myself. He was a glorified big play/big miss corner who should have been a nickle back anyway.
I am so glad his demise lead to the Bailey trade.

LRtagger
12-03-2008, 05:22 PM
Well I am not a particular fan of him myself. He was a glorified big play/big miss corner who should have been a nickle back anyway.
I am so glad his demise lead to the Bailey trade.

I thought I clicked on a Dre Bly thread there for a second.

haroldthebarrel
12-03-2008, 05:29 PM
I thought I clicked on a Dre Bly thread there for a second.

Believe it or not, but Bly has to a large extent been the glue that holds our back seven together when they manage to not fold that is.
At this point I am thinking he is underrated here in Denver.

Superchop 7
12-03-2008, 07:07 PM
Try him out at Running Back.

I'm not even kidding.

Was the best back in the country coming out of high school.

Special teams stud.

If the knee holds up, this could be another "football" player.

Gotta love it.

dogfish
12-03-2008, 08:25 PM
In related news, the Broncos will be holding tryouts for safeties next week, as they would still like to add some more help to shore up the position. Reported invitees will include Macaulay Caulkin, Gary Coleman and Clay Aiken.

Lonestar
12-03-2008, 08:54 PM

It will be a long time before DELTA is out of business. Alot of the other Mainline airlines will go down long before DL does..

the other moron however is a POS that gets toasted weakly. pardon the pun..

honz
12-03-2008, 10:41 PM
Yay! More outcasts!

Superchop 7
12-03-2008, 11:06 PM
Look......the guy "averaged" 220 yards per game in high school as a running back.

Goes to college......and they say......we want you to be a safety.

Most guys would tell them to go pound sand.

This guy says "no problem"

No way I dislike this guy, fact is, I'm rootin for him.

MOtorboat
12-03-2008, 11:12 PM
Look......the guy "averaged" 220 yards per game in high school as a running back.

:pound:

Like that matters...lol...

Peyton Hillis had 150 yards in the PROS last week.

Superchop 7
12-03-2008, 11:22 PM
:pound:

Like that matters...lol...

Peyton Hillis had 150 yards in the PROS last week.

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________

And he can get yards Felix Jones never thought of getting.

Off the top of my head it was 122 I think.

This guy has injury problems,

But, compared to Wayne, who was a head scratcher pickup, this guy has a legit shot.

Keep in mind, I said "averaged".

But I still think they should get Caulcrick.

bengaaaaals1688
12-03-2008, 11:43 PM
Jones is a GREAT ST player. He led our team in ST tackles last year with, I believe, 18 even after missing 7 games. He is a great gunner on Punts and does well on Kicks. As a Safety he isn't great, but he's a versatile player because he can fill in at CB in a Dime package if necessary.

I believe the biggest reason we released him was because we didn't have room for him at that point in time, and we had just signed Chris Crocker and re signed John Busing, who is also a good ST player.

Lonestar
12-04-2008, 12:40 AM
Jones is a GREAT ST player. He led our team in ST tackles last year with, I believe, 18 even after missing 7 games. He is a great gunner on Punts and does well on Kicks. As a Safety he isn't great, but he's a versatile player because he can fill in at CB in a Dime package if necessary.

I believe the biggest reason we released him was because we didn't have room for him at that point in time, and we had just signed Chris Crocker and re signed John Busing, who is also a good ST player.

thanks for the input

But I have to add if he can't make one of the worst teams in the NFL how the hell could he help us. That is stating alot considering the "starting Safeties on this team suck" and they were full time starters on their old team just last year.. This moron did not even crack the line up for the bungals..

bengaaaaals1688
12-04-2008, 12:46 AM
thanks for the input

But I have to add if he can't make one of the worst teams in the NFL how the hell could he help us. That is stating alot considering the "starting Safeties on this team suck" and they were full time starters on their old team just last year.. This moron did not even crack the line up for the bungals..

He was never a starter for us, he was a back up who could play CB if we needed it. He was just a great ST player.

In all honesty I always liked him, he plays hard, he is very good in coverage (hence his ability to play CB), but our FO doesn't exactly make great decisions most of the time. He more than likely could make almost any other team roster, with the same Safeties as we have, but our FO doesn't understand the meaning of using players that can actually be helpful. In case it wasn't obvious, I despise our FO and HC. And that is mostly because it is our FO and HC that are the biggest reasons we have such a bad team, we have the talent, we just don't have intelligent people in control of the talent.

Superchop 7
12-04-2008, 12:49 AM
Dude, he had 18 tackles in 9 games on ST.

He IS NOT a safety.

He is a RB.

They don't call em the bungals without a reason.

They are tired of the injuries.

Hence....goner.

His credos on ST alone earn him a roster spot.

Lonestar
12-04-2008, 12:51 AM
He was never a starter for us, he was a back up who could play CB if we needed it. He was just a great ST player.

In all honesty I always liked him, he plays hard, he is very good in coverage (hence his ability to play CB), but our FO doesn't exactly make great decisions most of the time. He more than likely could make almost any other team roster, with the same Safeties as we have, but our FO doesn't understand the meaning of using players that can actually be helpful. In case it wasn't obvious, I despise our FO and HC. And that is mostly because it is our FO and HC that are the biggest reasons we have such a bad team, we have the talent, we just don't have intelligent people in control of the talent.

for many years 1999-2005 (excepting LBs and price) we sucked at drafting on day one.. always hoping for a home run on day two.. We found a few keepers for the OLINE and RB's but frankly they were system roll players.. Once they moved on from DEN most fell flat on there faces..

but the drafts of 2006 and 2008 so fare are looking brilliant..

LEts hope 2009 and beyond are as good.

Superchop 7
12-04-2008, 01:01 AM
Lets hope 09 nets us MLB, SS, FS.

Just sayin.

Superchop 7
12-04-2008, 02:43 AM
In related news, the Broncos will be holding tryouts for safeties next week, as they would still like to add some more help to shore up the position. Reported invitees will include Macaulay Caulkin, Gary Coleman and Clay Aiken.

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

Preachin to the choir, I was on my soapbox screaming Kenny Phillips for months.

On the bright side, we can grab MLB first rd 09, and get two safeties in the 2nd "worthy" of rd 1, (any other draft) at the end of the day, that's 3 first rd pick talents on D in a position of need.

Not a bad first day the way I see it.

Granted, we would have to pick up a 2nd.

Can be done,

Just sayin.

If it's a lower round.....Nic Harris is my guy.

Superchop 7
12-04-2008, 11:41 AM
After that, we throw picks at D-line

bengaaaaals1688
12-04-2008, 11:50 AM
Dude, he had 18 tackles in 9 games on ST.

He IS NOT a safety.

He is a RB.

They don't call em the bungals without a reason.

They are tired of the injuries.

Hence....goner.

His credos on ST alone earn him a roster spot.

If we were tired of the injuries Chris Perry would be long gone. He's not with us because our coaches and FO are idiots.

We drafted him as a Safety... It isn't like we drafted him as a RB and made him a Safety. He is a good cover man, I believe I already stated that aspect of it, but the Bengals never gave him a legit chance to show what he can do as a Safety with significant time.

bengaaaaals1688
12-04-2008, 11:51 AM
for many years 1999-2005 (excepting LBs and price) we sucked at drafting on day one.. always hoping for a home run on day two.. We found a few keepers for the OLINE and RB's but frankly they were system roll players.. Once they moved on from DEN most fell flat on there faces..

but the drafts of 2006 and 2008 so fare are looking brilliant..

LEts hope 2009 and beyond are as good.

We have Mike Brown running the show... We suck at drafting period. I'd be happy if he let go of some of his power and let Lewis be GM and hired another HC, that would make us head and shoulders better than what we are now.

haroldthebarrel
12-04-2008, 11:52 AM
I believe there are several reasons why our offense is good. The fact that we seems to have as good a line as the SB years should not be understated.
The fact that the Lions and Bengals suck this year are perhaps many. But one constant is how good their line used to be and how they stink now.

Same goes for defensive line. Get talent in the trenches and you might just see less inconsistency. We need linebacker and safeties, but to be consistently good we need a better defensive line.

haroldthebarrel
12-04-2008, 11:53 AM
We have Mike Brown running the show... We suck at drafting period. I'd be happy if he let go of some of his power and let Lewis be GM and hired another HC, that would make us head and shoulders better than what we are now.

Why did you let Willie Anderson(isnt that the RT) go when you had the money and the interior line was getting worse.
I just dont understand the logic behind that. It seems like whenever teams dont pay attention to their offensive line, the skill players suck and especially the QB often gets injured.

Gamechanger
12-04-2008, 01:39 PM
Why did you let Willie Anderson(isnt that the RT) go when you had the money and the interior line was getting worse.
I just dont understand the logic behind that. It seems like whenever teams dont pay attention to their offensive line, the skill players suck and especially the QB often gets injured.

Willie Anderson didn't take a pay cut so they let him walk, right?

yet they (Bungals) franchised a guy like Stacy Andrews who gets beat like a kid in K-Mart and he's starting on their line?

so the logic is that Mike Brown is a cheapskate and that the Bungals will stay in NFL Hell until he either steps down or croaks

other than that I think it could be a good pick-up for the Broncos, because he (Herna-Daze Jones) could be a starter

an example of a players who was shit on the Bungals but sugar on another team is Keiwan Raliff, their former 2nd rd. pick in 2004, IIRC he only had one good stat year, 2005 (then again that was a what the hell moment for the Bungals and the NFL) then after that it was all downhill from there, the Colts picked up from the Bungals dumpster in 07 and he's now starting in for one of our other CBs who's out for the season, imo he's (Ratliff) a solid CB/Nickelback, he may not be the fastest guy on the team but he has shown he has good ball skills and can tackle, i'm satisfied

I still can't trust a safety with three names however

dogfish
12-04-2008, 03:39 PM
Willie Anderson didn't take a pay cut so they let him walk, right?

yet they (Bungals) franchised a guy like Stacy Andrews who gets beat like a kid in K-Mart and he's starting on their line?

so the logic is that Mike Brown is a cheapskate and that the Bungals will stay in NFL Hell until he either steps down or croaks

other than that I think it could be a good pick-up for the Broncos, because he (Herna-Daze Jones) could be a starter

an example of a players who was shit on the Bungals but sugar on another team is Keiwan Raliff, their former 2nd rd. pick in 2004, IIRC he only had one good stat year, 2005 (then again that was a what the hell moment for the Bungals and the NFL) then after that it was all downhill from there, the Colts picked up from the Bungals dumpster in 07 and he's now starting in for one of our other CBs who's out for the season, imo he's (Ratliff) a solid CB/Nickelback, he may not be the fastest guy on the team but he has shown he has good ball skills and can tackle, i'm satisfied

I still can't trust a safety with three names however

in that particular instance, he's probably doing better in indy because the cover-2 doesn't require the same speed from its corners that the bengals' predominantly man defense does. . . .

Gamechanger
12-04-2008, 03:54 PM
in that particular instance, he's probably doing better in indy because the cover-2 doesn't require the same speed from its corners that the bengals' predominantly man defense does. . . .

I would agree but when we do play man (rare occasion, I know) he holds his own very well because he recovers quickly and can catch the reciever, especially when we play man in nickel situations

bengaaaaals1688
12-04-2008, 04:25 PM

We didn't play man while he was here... We played 15 yards off the WR, and many dumbass zones.

I truly wish I could tell you why. Our FO and coaching staff have no idea what they are doing. They thought Stacy Andrews, who had a total of one DECENT year was better than Willie Anderson who had 10-12 good-GREAT years. Willie didn't want to take a pay cut, and for good reason, so they threw a 7.5 million dollar franchise tag at a player who barely deserves 4 million a year. Remember, this is the same team that let Steinbach go while franchising Justin Smith.

Lonestar
12-04-2008, 05:24 PM
While I could almost wrap my head around adding a player from the bungals that played alot, because they are cheap except for a couple of years a few years back they consistently draft in the top 10 if not lower so odds are they are going to get some decent talent.. Even a high second day choice can't be all that bad.. If they do not coach them or want to pay them when it is contract time odds are 50-50 you might get a decent players.

But taking someone that did not play for them except special teams, well lets
hope mikey did not break the bank with signing bonuses or salary..

Probably a good idea to tell them not to make a big move to DEN until after TC next year..