PDA

View Full Version : I want to puke Canes Fire laviolette and replace with maurice (yuk(

Medford Bronco
12-03-2008, 10:56 AM
This is just a bad move. Firing Lavi is okay but bring in Ted Nolan or Bob Hartley not mr boring dump and chase man :mad:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=258260&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_main

Sources tell TSN the Carolina Hurricanes have fired head coach Peter Laviolette and in a unique about face, have replaced him with former Hurricanes head coach Paul Maurice.

This move comes amid weeks of speculation of change in Carolina and the teams' battle with consistency with Laviolette at the helm.

Laviolette, last month, surpassed John Tortorella to become the winningest American born coach in NHL history with his 240th victory.

Laviolette was hired by the Hurricanes in December of 2003 after Maurice was fired just 30 games in to the season.

Carolina missed the playoffs in Laviolette's first season behind the bench; however following the lockout in 2004-2005, a rejuvenated Hurricanes team thrived in 2005-2006 en route to a Stanley Cup Championship.

However, since that Cup run Carolina has been challenged with injuries and has missed the playoffs the past two seasons.

Carolina has won just 4 of its last 10 games and sits second in the Southeast and eighth in the Eastern Conference, but the Hurricanes face a tough schedule this week with Pittsburgh in Raleigh, NC on Thursday, followed by the Philadelphia Flyers visit on Saturday.

Maurice, who resides in the Toronto area, has been attending university classes since being fired by the Toronto Maple Leafs last May.

He interviewed for coaching vacancies in Florida, Atlanta and the New York Islanders during the off-season and has most recently been helping monitor games in the NHL's war room in Toronto on a weekly basis.

Flatinum
12-03-2008, 10:59 AM
I thought Maurice was a good coach and was happy when the Leafs brought him in 3 seasons ago. Boy was I wrong, the guy seems soft, shows no emotion, and doesn't make his players accountable when they're playing bad. I wouldn't want Ted Nolan either.

Bad move for the Canes to bring him back. I'd much rather have a guy like Torterella over him.

Medford Bronco
12-03-2008, 11:00 AM
I thought Maurice was a good coach and was happy when the Leafs brought him in 3 seasons ago. Boy was I wrong, the guy seems soft, shows no emotion, and doesn't make his players accountable when they're playing bad.

Bad move for the Canes to bring him back. I'd much rather have a guy like Torterella over him.

Agreed, unless he is a stopgap for this year and an new coach in the offseason.

boy 2006 seems like a million light years away :(

Flatinum
12-03-2008, 11:14 AM
Due to the new developments I wish to retract my Canes making the playoffs statement.

Medford Bronco
12-03-2008, 11:15 AM
Due to the new developments I wish to retract my Canes making the playoffs statement.

ouch that hurts :lol:

remember Maurice is not good but in 2002 his team fluked out and
made the finals. you never know but I am not holding my breath right now. :(

Medford Bronco
12-04-2008, 05:37 PM
I hope this team shows up and shows some heart tonight.

I am not a big fan of Maurice but will always back my team no matter what

Go Canes :beer:

Medford Bronco
12-04-2008, 11:11 PM
Its going to be a long season for me if tonight is what the rest of the year is.

I never saw so many giveaways in my life. Xmas is in 3 weeks but Pitt got
plenty of gifts tonight :puke:

East Coast Fan
12-05-2008, 03:42 PM
Its going to be a long season for me if tonight is what the rest of the year is.

I never saw so many giveaways in my life. Xmas is in 3 weeks but Pitt got
plenty of gifts tonight :puke:

Hey Med sorry about your "situation" down there. Not fun I can imagine....

I always will have a seat on our bandwagon with your name on it...:D

That is, unless you want to join up with the Rangers :mad: or Flyers :mad:

Seriously, I hope that things turn around down there for you. On a side note, whatever happened to Kevin Constantine? I thought that he was a decent, hard-nosed coach. Haven't heard about him for years.

Keep your chin up-you always have the up-and-down Broncos to root for! :D

Flatinum
12-05-2008, 03:46 PM

Seriously, I hope that things turn around down there for you. On a side note, whatever happened to Kevin Constantine? I thought that he was a decent, hard-nosed coach. Haven't heard about him for years.

Head Coach - Houston Aero's in the AHL.

Medford Bronco
12-05-2008, 04:16 PM

ECF you know that I will always have a soft spot for the pens. Staals brother plays for them and I like him a lot. I just want my main team to look like a team and not look like they are up shits creek without a paddle.

East Coast Fan
12-06-2008, 01:50 PM
Head Coach - Houston Aero's in the AHL.

Ah, thank you my friend! I thought that he did a good job when he was in Pittsburgh, although some of the players complained that he was "too tough". But he got results... thanks! :salute:

East Coast Fan
12-06-2008, 01:58 PM
ECF you know that I will always have a soft spot for the pens. Staals brother plays for them and I like him a lot. I just want my main team to look like a team and not look like they are up shits creek without a paddle.

I hear you and understand completely; especially since you were so good a few seasons ago, you wonder "how did this happen"? And to bring in a guy that was let go awhile back is something that you HAVE to wonder "why"?? Perhaps he got "better" at coaching since then, or someone in the organization owes him something, or they don't know what the #&@* they are doing! I hope that they turn things around because I know that you are passionate about them and want them to do well, like we both are with our Broncos. We BETTER not lose tomorrow!! People at work are telling me "your guys are looking good" and I say "yeah, when they play on the road" and they say "ah, they'll beat the Chiefs" and I say "they already LOST to the Chiefs, and how the *&%@ did we lose at home to the Raiders"?! People just don't understand....

"When I was a lad, it was unheard of for the Broncos to lose at home"-me.

Talkin' about the 70's here-as Archie and Edith Bunker sang "THOSE WERE THE DAYS"....:D

Chin up my friend, better days ahead for us (I hope)! :beer: :lol:

Medford Bronco
12-06-2008, 04:33 PM
Maybe the Canes can win one game in a row tonight :lol:

BroncoAV06
12-06-2008, 11:04 PM
Laviolette tells us he's not shocked over being fired by Hurricanes

Friday, December 5, 2008 | Feedback | Print Entry

Posted by Pierre LeBrun

Peter Laviolette apologized for being 15 minutes late in calling us.

"My phone's been ringing off the hook," the fired Carolina Hurricanes coach told ESPN.com on Friday. "It's amazing how people have reached out from the U.S. and Canada. GMs, coaches, players -- it's an amazing thing. And it can really make a difference."

Two days later, his dismissal is sinking in. The decompressing has begun.

"One, I don't think you should ever be shocked," Laviolette said. "As I said to [Hurricanes GM] Jim [Rutherford], the minute you accept the job, you know there's probably an ending at some point. Some are longer than others and I've been fortunate enough to be here just a touch under five years."

Just like the rest of us in the business, he knew very well Rutherford had toyed with the idea a few times before in the last year.

"When it gets out there like that, there's not as much shock involved with it," Laviolette said.

In the post-lockout NHL, coaches are more under the gun than ever, Laviolette said. Like we also wrote a few days ago, every team in the league believes they should be making the playoffs. Someone pays the price when that doesn't happen.

"When I was talking to Jim a few days ago, I was saying to him that it's a very tough league right now, especially for coaches," he said. "There's a lot of parity. Everybody goes in with the expectation of making the playoffs and competing for the Stanley Cup. It's almost too equal. There's obviously a few teams that have risen above it, and a couple that have fallen below it, but everyone else is in a .500 blender.

"You're either a couple above .500 or a couple below .500, and certainly either in the mix for the cutoff line between eight and nine in your conference."

So, what now?

"It's really hard to say," said Laviolette, who has two and half years remaining on his Hurricanes contract. "That's the crazy thing about coaching. You don't really know what the future holds. Your willingness to coach could be one thing, somebody's willingness to take you could be another.

"But my phone number is out there, so who knows what's going to happen."

The big winner right now could be USA Hockey. Come time for the World Championships in the spring, both Laviolette and John Tortorella could be available.

"If USA Hockey calls, I'm in," Laviolette said. "I don't care what they want me to do. I've been to those tournaments and absolutely love them."

In the short term, Laviolette the dad will be more prevalent than the coach.

"The holidays are coming up," Laviolette said. "My wife and I have three young kids. I don't get to see many hockey games from my boys. It's an opportunity to enjoy my family."

The positive easily outweighs the negative for him. Yes, it's disappointing to be fired, but he's had five great years in Carolina.

"A lot of times, when something like this happens, it's easy just to see and read about the bad things," he said. "I take with me so many good memories from here and from this experience in Raleigh. Friends that we've made here, things that have happened off the ice, as well as on the ice.

"Obviously, the championship, and any time you can win at any level, it doesn't matter which level, it's a truly amazing and special experience. You look at it as one of the greatest experiences in your life. Once the smoke settles here and times goes on, that's exactly how I will look at this."

Laviolette has NHL and AHL championships on his résumé. He'll be behind an NHL bench before the puck drops next October.

Story I ran across. Canes have Francis in the wings as well...

Medford Bronco
04-07-2009, 04:55 PM
I know I was one to rail against this hiring.

Whether he is the reason for the turnaround or Ron Francis having a big say in
how the team is run. I dont know.

IDC as long as the Canes win. Heck Barry Switzer won a Super Bowl so anything is possible :lol:

Broncolingus
04-07-2009, 05:40 PM
This is just a bad move. Firing Lavi is okay but bring in Ted Nolan or Bob Hartley not mr boring dump and chase man

Dude, you really want Hartley?

Medford Bronco
04-07-2009, 07:22 PM
Dude, you really want Hartley?

Not anymore :lol: but at the time he looked good. He has won a Cup before.

I like it just the way it is now.

btw Canes are up 5-0 over the NYI. They are going to win their 9th straight and 12 straight home game. The playoffs cant come fast enough.

I hope they can repeat 06, Med will be happy. At least one team I like is not dysfunctional :lol: