PDA

View Full Version : WR Eron Riley made his case for final roster

broncofaninfla
09-02-2011, 07:09 PM
Wide receiver Eron Riley was one of the last players out of the Broncos’ visiting locker room at University of Phoenix Stadium last night. His departure was slowed first by teammates chanting his name, then by the flood of text messages on his cell phone.
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2011/09/02/wr-eron-riley-made-his-case-for-final-roster/9236/

I like this kid, really hope he makes the team, HUGE upside with him.

Dzone
09-02-2011, 07:40 PM
Hope he can keep up the big play gig. We might be needing him sooner than later.

Ziggy
09-02-2011, 07:41 PM
He's also played well on special teams. I think he has a chance, but David Anderson's value went up when Squid went out. Anderson's our best punt returner behind Royal and has great hands.

broncofaninfla
09-02-2011, 07:57 PM
He's also played well on special teams. I think he has a chance, but David Anderson's value went up when Squid went out. Anderson's our best punt returner behind Royal and has great hands.

This is true, Anderson is a good value guy. Just hope there is room for Riley. The kid has star potential IMO.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-02-2011, 08:59 PM
Riley will likely land on the practice squad. I think the WRs will be Lloyd, Royal, Decker, Anderson, Willis, and whoever the coaches like best between Davis and Riley.

Riley has looked pretty good this preseason, but I don't know if it's enough to give him an active roster spot. With the emergence of Julius Thomas as a split out/slot threat, I doubt we'll ever put 5 actual WRs on the field at the same time. Not in Fox's offense. I can see us keeping an extra DL, LB, or Safety over 6 WRs.

We also might have Demaryius Thomas coming back for the second half of the season.

dogfish
09-02-2011, 09:26 PM
Riley will likely land on the practice squad. I think the WRs will be Lloyd, Royal, Decker, Anderson, Willis, and whoever the coaches like best between Davis and Riley.

Riley has looked pretty good this preseason, but I don't know if it's enough to give him an active roster spot. With the emergence of Julius Thomas as a split out/slot threat, I doubt we'll ever put 5 actual WRs on the field at the same time. Not in Fox's offense. I can see us keeping an extra DL, LB, or Safety over 6 WRs.

We also might have Demaryius Thomas coming back for the second half of the season.

with thomas on the PUP, i'm not so sure fox will keep six more receivers-- he rarely uses four-wide sets, let alone five. . . i kinda expect us to keep four TEs and five receivers. . . .

HORSEPOWER 56
09-02-2011, 09:29 PM
with thomas on the PUP, i'm not so sure fox will keep six more receivers-- he rarely uses four-wide sets, let alone five. . . i kinda expect us to keep four TEs and five receivers. . . .

You said exactly what I was trying to more effectively. Thanks! :beer:

underrated29
09-02-2011, 09:32 PM
He's this years Todd devoe.

I think dt goes ir......I think we pup him as long as possible but he eventually goes ir

dogfish
09-02-2011, 09:35 PM

I think dt goes ir......I think we pup him as long as possible but he eventually goes ir

i thought julius thomas was this year's todd devoe?

sneakers
09-02-2011, 09:52 PM

How the hell do you remember Todd Devoe?

underrated29
09-02-2011, 10:39 PM
How the hell do you remember Todd Devoe?

I remember everything I see.

I remember you posted a picture of you and some hot girl that you had a crush on at like a star wars convention or something and you said - mind the creepy face i was nervous-

We should all remember todd devoe, that was not that long ago. Now if you bring up wr bj johnson, then Id say that was a while ago...'03 i think.

dogfish
09-02-2011, 10:43 PM
kevin casper. . . .

tubby
09-02-2011, 11:12 PM
Keep Riley over Royal.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-02-2011, 11:22 PM
kevin casper. . . .

Hey, don't rip on Casper, he was our last legit kick returner. He wasn't a good WR, but he was darn good at returning kickoffs.

dogfish
09-02-2011, 11:36 PM
Hey, don't rip on Casper, he was our last legit kick returner. He wasn't a good WR, but he was darn good at returning kickoffs.

you only liked him because he was white. . . . :coffee:

sneakers
09-03-2011, 12:33 AM
kevin casper. . . .

That guy I do remember, white WR out of Iowa, spent a few seasons with the Cardinals. Had the bleach blonde hair.

BroncoWave
09-03-2011, 12:39 AM
i thought julius thomas was this year's todd devoe?

You're thinking of Wesley Duke!

Davii
09-03-2011, 01:06 AM
Agreed on Riley. Of the FEW bright spots from last nights game, he was the brightest.

Tned
09-03-2011, 01:23 PM
Riley didn't make it. Unfortunately for him, it's one of the Broncos deepest positions.

Northman
09-03-2011, 01:54 PM
Ooops.

atwater27
09-03-2011, 03:03 PM
WTF... Dude played his heart out and got great results in limited play. Way to reward the right people.

Ravage!!!
09-03-2011, 03:06 PM
you don't earn your spot on the roster based on pre-season games.

DenBronx
09-03-2011, 03:11 PM
I'm suprised he didnt make the team.

6'3 ....4.2 forty...has good hands, good speed, big target.

Hope this guy clears waivers.

atwater27
09-03-2011, 03:17 PM

no shit sherlock

DenBronx
09-03-2011, 03:22 PM

no, but it does help build a case to stay on the team.

see: terrel davis

Dzone
09-03-2011, 03:47 PM
Maybe Riley sucked in practice

dogfish
09-03-2011, 03:51 PM
i heard he hit on fox's wife. . . .

DenBronx
09-03-2011, 03:53 PM
Maybe Riley sucked in practice

i dont think he sucked....i just think it was hard to beat out the guys we already have...plus DT is going to be back mid season. maybe he just needs time to learn nfl routes for a wr.

IF he clears waivers then he will do just fine as a reserve for us. but he does look like he could be a threat as a wr. dude is a big target and fast.

alot like our very own DT. :laugh:

atwater27
09-03-2011, 04:03 PM
Demaryius tore his freaking Achilles tendon. What makes ANYONE think he will come back near as good as he was before. And what makes ANYONE think he isn't an absolute injury risk nightmare the rest of his injury filled career. I understand he is a great talent. But reality sucks. He is way more likely to be out of the league in a year or 2 than excelling as a WR on this team.

dogfish
09-03-2011, 04:06 PM
maybe the coaching staff doesn't know what riley is capable of. . . .

Tned
09-03-2011, 04:10 PM
i heard he hit on fox's wife. . . .

Weird, I heard he hit on Fox, and Fox's wife demanded he be released...

Ravage!!!
09-03-2011, 04:16 PM
WTF... Dude played his heart out and got great results in limited play. Way to reward the right people.

no shit sherlock

if its so obvious to you, then you wouldn't be griping about not "rewarding the right people." But apparently the obvious isn't OBVIOUS enough for some.

Jsteve01
09-03-2011, 04:16 PM
I highly doubt Riley clears waivers. He's big, fast and willing in he run game. That last game almost guarantees him a spot with someone else

Ravage!!!
09-03-2011, 04:18 PM
no, but it does help build a case to stay on the team.

see: terrel davis

Absolutely, DB. But you have to be close enough for something to "take you over the edge." TD didn't earn a spot on the team based on a tackle in preseason, just as you know he didn't earn is starting job based on preseason play.

Ravage!!!
09-03-2011, 04:18 PM
I highly doubt Riley clears waivers. He's big, fast and willing in he run game. That last game almost guarantees him a spot with someone else

Yeah... probably so.

atwater27
09-03-2011, 04:22 PM
if its so obvious to you, then you wouldn't be griping about not "rewarding the right people." But apparently the obvious isn't OBVIOUS enough for some.

Keep up the good work Sherlock :coffee:

Davii
09-03-2011, 04:34 PM
Demaryius tore his freaking Achilles tendon. What makes ANYONE think he will come back near as good as he was before. And what makes ANYONE think he isn't an absolute injury risk nightmare the rest of his injury filled career. I understand he is a great talent. But reality sucks. He is way more likely to be out of the league in a year or 2 than excelling as a WR on this team.

I don't know, maybe the doctors, training staff, coaches, etc that get paid to weigh those risks?

atwater27
09-03-2011, 04:38 PM

I don't know, maybe the doctors, training staff, coaches, etc that get paid to weigh those risks?

And you know those guys are always right. They've been doing a helluva job the last few seasons.:rolleyes:

Denver Native (Carol)
09-03-2011, 04:41 PM
And you know those guys are always right. They've been doing a helluva job the last few seasons.:rolleyes:

There isn't any one better in the business than Greek

dogfish
09-03-2011, 04:50 PM
There isn't any one better in the business than Greek

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Davii
09-03-2011, 04:51 PM
And you know those guys are always right. They've been doing a helluva job the last few seasons

Funny, I thought the majority of them just got hired. And you're better qualified why?

Slick
09-03-2011, 04:52 PM
Kurt Warner said, during the broncos-cardinals game. "You don't earn the job in practice.".

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Ravage!!!
09-03-2011, 04:54 PM
Kurt Warner said, during the broncos-cardinals game. "You don't earn the job in practice.".

:lol: Then when do you earn it?

Slick
09-03-2011, 04:57 PM
I would imagine on the field in game situations. Obviously practice counts for something but at the end of the day i think he's saying games mean more.

atwater27
09-03-2011, 05:00 PM
And you know those guys are always right. They've been doing a helluva job the last few seasons

Funny, I thought the majority of them just got hired. And you're better qualified why?

You'd better bet I am more qualified! They just haven't hired me yet.

By the way, go ask Mr. Fox what the record was of the last team he played for, and on what conditions he and his former employer parted ways.

Ravage!!!
09-03-2011, 05:00 PM
I would imagine on the field in game situations. Obviously practice counts for something but at the end of the day i think he's saying games mean more.

I would actually modify his comment, and I'm betting if we were in a face-to-face discussion with him, he would agree with me. For he is the perfect example.

I would say "You EARN your starting spot in practice, but you KEEP your starting job by game play." You have to get into the starting role somehow, and practice is where you out perform your competition for that starting spot. Keeping the other guy on the bench is what you do when it matters in games. :salute:

Tned
09-03-2011, 05:02 PM

By the way, go ask Mr. Fox what the record was of the last team he played for, and on what conditions he and his former employer parted ways.

I'm pretty sure Fox didn't play ball after college, probably back in the 60's or 70's, but I'll go check on that record for you.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-03-2011, 05:04 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Denver Broncos Head Athletic Trainer Steve "Greek" Antonopulos was honored as the 2011 Fain-Cain Memorial Award recipient on Friday at the NFL Physicians Society Scientific Meeting in Indianapolis. The award is given annually to a NFL trainer who best exemplifies a long-term commitment to the NFL, as well as exemplary performance.

"‘Greek' is nothing short of a consummate professional," said Broncos Head Team Physician Dr. Ted Schlegel, who nominated Antonopulos and presented him with the award. "I have always respected the fact that Steve is the kind of person that will look you in the eye and tell you what he is thinking and commit to his word. He embodies the principals of the Fain-Cain Award, and he continues to impact all of those who have been around him.

"He has the respect of the players that he has cared for over the years, and that is the reason many of them will call to ask his advice even after they have left the organization."

rest of article - http://www.milehighreport.com/2011/3/1/2023799/denver-broncos-trainer-steve-antonopulos-named-2011-fain-cain

Slick
09-03-2011, 05:05 PM
I wont argue with that rav.

When he said it, i remembered it, and i even thought of you because we talked about it breifly in a couple threads.

Davii
09-03-2011, 05:51 PM

I asked Mr. Fox. As you asked, the last team he played for finished 10-1, losing only to BYU in 1976. His former employer chose not to renew his contract when it expired, and both parties separated amicably. Nobody was fired, no lawsuits pending, etc. He said he is happy for the opportunity to lead the Denver Broncos and to once again be a coach for an organization that wants to be competitive.

He thanks you for your concern and wants to let you know that you are less qualified than the janitor when assessing injuries of a player you have never met or had access to any health records of. Keep cheering and Go Broncos!

Timmy!
09-03-2011, 06:19 PM
:pound:
what a thread

dogfish
09-03-2011, 06:54 PM
rest of article - http://www.milehighreport.com/2011/3/1/2023799/denver-broncos-trainer-steve-antonopulos-named-2011-fain-cain

wow. . . good find, carol, props for that. . .

i'm guessing al wilson and brandon marshall must not have been interviewed for the piece, though. . . . :eek:

Northman
09-03-2011, 06:57 PM
If Steve is really that good than we have some serious players made of glass all across the board. Ive never seen the health issues with players that i have with the Broncos over the last 8 or so years.

silkamilkamonico
09-03-2011, 07:53 PM
wish he would have made it over willis....oh well, neither is ever going to play anyways

DenBronx
09-03-2011, 08:54 PM
Absolutely, DB. But you have to be close enough for something to "take you over the edge." TD didn't earn a spot on the team based on a tackle in preseason, just as you know he didn't earn is starting job based on preseason play.

no but it made the coaches pay attention to him and builds a case to stay on the team. if preseason didnt help anyone win a roster spot then they wouldnt even play 4 games of preseason. the 4th game is to let the young guys show what they have and riley deffinitely stepped up.

not saying he will be better than what we have at all but i think it would be wise for us to hang on to the kid.

DenBronx
09-03-2011, 08:58 PM

yep i heard that too.

and if preseason didnt affect anyones position on the team then why did quinn get booted back to 3rd qb after his poor play last night? i see guys every year win or lose jobs based on preseason performance.

arian foster comes to mind. he killed it in preseason last year and won the job.

DenBronx
09-03-2011, 09:00 PM
julius thomas/virgil green??? fox had a connection with dante rosario and we signed him thinking we would need a pass catching te. meanwhile orange julios won the job DURING preseason. maybe him or green are not the #1 yet but they beat out the vet.

i'm not so sure it was all just practice.

practice?

i mean....we talkin practice man.

dogfish
09-03-2011, 09:55 PM
wish he would have made it over willis....oh well, neither is ever going to play anyways

willis will play-- don't be surprised if he's our top slot receiver in a few years. . . i don't know why everybody around here assumes he can't play just because he's a no-name. . . kid has a legit skill set for the position, he gets in and out of his breaks in a hurry and has solid hands. . . you guys think it's an accident that two different regimes have kept him over more accomplished players at his position? that's stokley and anderson, BTW, not riley. . .

willis is caught in the shuffle at our one relatively strong position, but that logjam should clear up in the next couple of years. . .

Northman
09-03-2011, 09:59 PM
willis will play-- don't be surprised if he's our top slot receiver in a few years. . . i don't know why everybody around here assumes he can't play just because he's a no-name. . . kid has a legit skill set for the position, he gets in and out of his breaks in a hurry and has solid hands. . . you guys think it's an accident that two different regimes have kept him over more accomplished players at his position? that's stokley and anderson, BTW, not riley. . .

willis is caught in the shuffle at our one relatively strong position, but that logjam should clear up in the next couple of years. . .

I agree. I think he will be a good receiver for us. Just need a QB who will look beyond Lloyd to get him involved in the game when needed.

silkamilkamonico
09-03-2011, 10:21 PM
willis hasnt shown me anything. he wouldnt even have beaten out kenny mckinley if that dude wasnt mentally instable, god rest his soul.

and if wilis does happen to be our best slot wr in couple years, its becaude eddie royal couldnt get back to his one year wonder season form. unfortuante cuz i thouht he would be special but so far a dissappointlent.

DenBronx
09-03-2011, 11:58 PM
willis hasnt shown me anything. he wouldnt even have beaten out kenny mckinley if that dude wasnt mentally instable, god rest his soul.

and if wilis does happen to be our best slot wr in couple years, its becaude eddie royal couldnt get back to his one year wonder season form. unfortuante cuz i thouht he would be special but so far a dissappointlent.

this year will be eddies "i told you so" year. his rookie year he looked great but going to the slot hasnt really done him justice. if he has another year like this year then i can see him being traded to washington.

atwater27
09-04-2011, 12:09 AM
I asked Mr. Fox. As you asked, the last team he played for finished 10-1, losing only to BYU in 1976. Cute... but you know what I meant. His former employer chose not to renew his contract when it expired, and both parties separated amicably. My ass. FIRED. Nobody was fired, no lawsuits pending, etc. He said he is happy for the opportunity to lead the Denver Broncos and to once again be a coach for an organization that wants to be competitive.

He thanks you for your concern and wants to let you know that you are less qualified than the janitor when assessing injuries of a player you have never met or had access to any health records of. Keep cheering and Go Broncos!

The fact is that very few professional athletes are able to come back from a torn achilles without a drastic drop in ability and effectiveness.
I hope he can beat the odds, but that sentiment and yours do no change the odds. Now back to my janitorial duties.

Davii
09-04-2011, 12:58 AM
The fact is that very few professional athletes are able to come back from a torn achilles without a drastic drop in ability and effectiveness.
I hope he can beat the odds, but that sentiment and yours do no change the odds. Now back to my janitorial duties.

McD was fired. Fox coached out his entire contract and wasn't brought back. Big difference between that and fired.

There are varying degrees of achilles injuries, neither you or I know specifics about DT's. However, I am willing to assume that since he has been doing everything short of being on the field throughout TC and preseason that his injury wasn't the worst possible.

The team doctors are comfortable enough that DT has a roster spot. Another thing to think about, the rehab etc was not performed by team docs due to the lockout. So there are more docs that have cleared him than just"ours".

While I agree that there are more who can't come back than can, I will trust those in charge who know more specifics than we do. Instead of rooting against him, I will cheer for him to come back strong and tweet encouragement to him as I have done many times.

atwater27
09-04-2011, 02:22 AM
McD was fired. Fox coached out his entire contract and wasn't brought back. Big difference between that and fired.Keep on telling yourself that. Can you remind me again what was the only team with a record worse than the Broncos last year? What team had the #1 overall pick in this draft? Who was their coach? Wow. What a coincidence they "parted ways."

There are varying degrees of achilles injuries, neither you or I know specifics about DT's. However, I am willing to assume that since he has been doing everything short of being on the field throughout TC and preseason that his injury wasn't the worst possible.

The team doctors are comfortable enough that DT has a roster spot. Another thing to think about, the rehab etc was not performed by team docs due to the lockout. So there are more docs that have cleared him than just"ours".

While I agree that there are more who can't come back than can, I will trust those in charge who know more specifics than we do. Instead of rooting against him, I will cheer for him to come back strong and tweet encouragement to him as I have done many times.

And who, pray tell, is rooting against him? I would really like to know.

bcbronc
09-04-2011, 02:52 AM
julius thomas/virgil green??? fox had a connection with dante rosario and we signed him thinking we would need a pass catching te. meanwhile orange julios won the job DURING preseason. maybe him or green are not the #1 yet but they beat out the vet.

i'm not so sure it was all just practice.

practice?

i mean....we talkin practice man.

What makes you think it wasn't what these guys showed in practice that earned them a spot on the roster? Just because they made some plays in preseason games doesn't mean it wasn't what they did on the practice field that ultimately won their spots.

As for Riley, one important factor is his two biggest plays vs ARI probably don't happen against real NFLers. Against 1s or even 2s its not to often a WR just runs straight past a CB and opens up 5 yards of seperation, or a CB gambles and misses that badly, especially when they're bringing the blitz. Coaches are going to factor that into their evaluation.

I do like Riley's speed and size and hope he makes it to the PS if he's still eligible.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-04-2011, 01:22 PM
And who, pray tell, is rooting against him? I would really like to know.

You can cry semantics and play the good old fashioned "I never said that" game, but just because you didn't say something directly doesn't mean you didn't imply a lot.

If I said, "Mickey Mouse is retarded and The Magic Kingdom sucks", you would probably infer that I'm not a big fan of the Walt Disney corporation even if I didn't say that directly.

The fact that you've called Thomas "done" and continuously debate on whether or not John Fox was fired leads others to the conclusion, true or not, that you don't look on either favorably.

atwater27
09-04-2011, 01:32 PM
You can cry semantics and play the good old fashioned "I never said that" game, but just because you didn't say something directly doesn't mean you didn't imply a lot.

If I said, "Mickey Mouse is retarded and The Magic Kingdom sucks", you would probably infer that I'm not a big fan of the Walt Disney corporation even if I didn't say that directly.

The fact that you've called Thomas "done" and continuously debate on whether or not John Fox was fired leads others to the conclusion, true or not, that you don't look on either favorably.

I am not a man that backs down from any of my opinions or statements. Why would I deny I like DT if I don't? I say what I mean and mean what I say.

DeMaryius is an awesome talent. His odds of coming back from his injuries as an awesome talent are unlikely. And his likelihood of reinjury is even higher.

And as far as Fox, he didin't impress me with Carolina. And he has to prove himself here before I will blindly sing him praises. I had the same attitude with McDaniels. And I was RIGHT. So keep your semantics to yourself, and leave mickey mouse alone.