PDA

View Full Version : Were our players really injured ?

Dunnie
12-02-2008, 01:25 PM
Because a lot them came back to play a couple plays later. I read somewhere that Bly even admitted to not being injured. Is this good sportsmanship ? It just seems a little like Bill Belichick to me.

"Just a bruise on my shin," CB Dre' Bly told the Rocky Mountain News. "You know Brett. Him being a savvy vet, when he sees somebody down, he likes to do a no-huddle, catch a defense off balance. I knew that, so I just laid on the ground and let the pain go away. "

FYI: Three Denver injuries on three consecutive first downs by the Jets. 1st Spencer Larsen. 2nd Ebenezer Ekuban, pinched nerve. 3rd Dre Bly. And then Marquand Manuel does down on the Jets next possession. All in all, Denver had 6 players go down in the second half to the Jets 1

broncofaninfla
12-02-2008, 01:28 PM
I think they were hurt and would have been a liability had they had stayed in. Staying down was the right move

NameUsedBefore
12-02-2008, 01:34 PM
Yeah they just didn't want to take any chances. Too many times I've seen a corner or safety hobble back into formation only to get terribly burnt over run over.

Day1BroncoFan
12-02-2008, 01:35 PM
They did the right thing however you look at it.

NightTrainLayne
12-02-2008, 01:35 PM
I think they were hurt and would have been a liability had they had stayed in. Staying down was the right move

Exactly. Give the defense a chance to adjust to a replacement since they needed to come out, vs. playing at 80% for a play and getting burnt by Brett.

Putting in a back-up (which equates to a 3rd or 4th stringer at a lot of our positions) is never option #1, but if a player is knicked up and needs to come out, then I see no problem with a player staying down in this instance.

Sure, it's some angle-shooting or gamesmanship, but you gotta work every edge. If Brett Favre can't overcome Dre Bly's and Marquand Manuel's replacements then he's not really an HOF QB.

LRtagger
12-02-2008, 01:55 PM
Our guys staying down is just as bad gamesmanship as Brett seeing a guy limping and trying to rush the offense to take advantage of it.

Day1BroncoFan
12-02-2008, 01:59 PM
Our guys staying down is just as bad gamesmanship as Brett seeing a guy limping and trying to rush the offense to take advantage of it.

I would view this as smart play rather than bad gamesmanship. Take any advantage you can over your opponent.

LRtagger
12-02-2008, 02:02 PM
I would view this as smart play rather than bad gamesmanship. Take any advantage you can over your opponent.

Fair enough, then if our only recourse is to have the injured player stay down, then that is not poor gamesmanship, either. It's a two way street IMO.

MOtorboat
12-02-2008, 02:03 PM
This team can't afford to fake injuries.

BroncoJoe
12-02-2008, 02:04 PM
Where's the "Who Cares" option?

Day1BroncoFan
12-02-2008, 02:13 PM
Fair enough, then if our only recourse is to have the injured player stay down, then that is not poor gamesmanship, either. It's a two way street IMO.

I'm not disagreeing with that at all.

honz
12-02-2008, 02:16 PM
I rewatched the game the next day and I tried to keep track of what happened when our players got injured after a Jets 1st down...every single one of them was legit. I'm sure players are taught to stay down if they get dinged up on a play. No reason to be limping around and give up a big play when you can just stay down and get a sub in.

haroldthebarrel
12-02-2008, 02:16 PM
I think it is bad sportsmanship if the arent seriously injured. On the other hand it is bad sportsmanship to go nu huddle when people are down as well.

I dont want the NFL to turn into a soccer game where players just throw themselves all over the place, faking injuries and all that crap.

Northman
12-02-2008, 02:17 PM
Who cares, Brett took a dive so that Strahan could get the Sack record. We did what was needed whether they were hurt or not.

shank
12-02-2008, 02:51 PM
it bugged me, but like honz said, they were all legit. the only one i questioned was when barrett got hurt, but they never showed a good replay to show how he got hurt.

if we were feigning injuries out there like basketball or soccer players, then i'd have a huge problem with it, but if a guy can't play because of a small injury, i want him off the field, sure.

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
12-02-2008, 02:56 PM
You don't fake hurt in football period

Denver Native (Carol)
12-02-2008, 03:02 PM
I rewatched the game the next day and I tried to keep track of what happened when our players got injured after a Jets 1st down...every single one of them was legit. I'm sure players are taught to stay down if they get dinged up on a play. No reason to be limping around and give up a big play when you can just stay down and get a sub in.

Exactly - and like you say - get a sub in. So, in some cases, it was replacing a starter with a sub. Don't think that would be done on purpose. Also, the weather could have been a factor - it may hurt more in the weather conditions that day, than on a sunny, 80 degree day - I don't know.

GEM
12-02-2008, 03:07 PM
Because a lot them came back to play a couple plays later. I read somewhere that Bly even admitted to not being injured. Is this good sportsmanship ? It just seems a little like Bill Belichick to me.

"Just a bruise on my shin," CB Dre' Bly told the Rocky Mountain News. "You know Brett. Him being a savvy vet, when he sees somebody down, he likes to do a no-huddle, catch a defense off balance. I knew that, so I just laid on the ground and let the pain go away. "

FYI: Three Denver injuries on three consecutive first downs by the Jets. 1st Spencer Larsen. 2nd Ebenezer Ekuban, pinched nerve. 3rd Dre Bly. And then Marquand Manuel does down on the Jets next possession. All in all, Denver had 6 players go down in the second half to the Jets 1

:wave: Hi Jets Fan!

Northman
12-02-2008, 03:07 PM
It seems whenever we play Favre and he is on the losing end there is some sort of conspiracy. He claimed that Atwater and company were calling out his plays during the Super Bowl and what not so i think this is all much ado about nothing.

Buff
12-02-2008, 03:49 PM
The only one that seemed even borderline suspicious was when Bly went down. It seemed like he waited a moment before deciding he needed medical attn, and at that point Favre was already hustling to the line...

Other than that I think it was just bad luck for both teams...

Lonestar
12-02-2008, 04:20 PM
Brett is a HOF QB just waiting to retire.. HE is savvy and will take advantage of any item he can..

I do not believe any of our guys took a dive just to slow things down..

Mainly because they have to come out of the game that way..

But if you get stinger or good rap to the head or any other appendage that will render said appendage useless then it is in YOUR best interest as well as the teams to stay down and get off the field with a substitute player coming in for you....

Thnikkaman
12-02-2008, 04:34 PM
Brett Favre's not really an HOF QB.

Can I quote this forever?

BANJOPICKER1
12-02-2008, 11:25 PM
Who cares, we won!:D
:beer:

weazel
12-03-2008, 12:28 AM
Who cares, Brett took a dive so that Strahan could get the Sack record. We did what was needed whether they were hurt or not.

that was disgusting

topscribe
12-03-2008, 01:02 AM

This isn't a high school football game. This is the NFL. Receivers push off.
Offensive linemen hold. QBs run up to the center to take advantage of the
defense being disheveled during an injury. A dinged player stays down to
hold up that QB.

Whatever is called by the refs is a violation. Whatever is not called is not.
The object is to win.

The whole controversy on this is asinine.

-----

Poet
12-03-2008, 01:21 AM
This isn't a high school football game. This is the NFL. Receivers push off.
Offensive linemen hold. QBs run up to the center to take advantage of the
defense being disheveled during an injury. A dinged player stays down to
hold up that QB.

Whatever is called by the refs is a violation. Whatever is not called is not.
The object is to win.

The whole controversy on this is asinine.

-----

There's a hold on every player, a push off on every play. I know that when I listen to a game I can hear some guys try to simulate the snap count. Part of this is gamesmanship. A lot of it is also up to personal interpretation by the refs.

I can construe an argument that is pretty legit on how the no huddle is poor sportsmanship.

I also don't believe it for a second. Bending the rules is.....bending the rules. I hear commentators compliment players all the time who play till the "second" whistle. People love Hines Ward for blowing up defensive players. In those two cases one can easily extrapolate those actions just a little bit and then bam! Poor sportsmanship.

If a player feigns injury, is it really that bad? You obviously cannot go to the well that many times. You also will be hard pressed to prove that he is not hurt. Muscle cramps happen all the time. Anytime a player makes contact a chance of being hurt or being injured is right there. Hell, we have all played sports here. Everyone knows that sometimes you just run out of gas.

Unless you had food poisoning or went to taco bell...........

fcspikeit
12-03-2008, 02:29 AM
I think it was a bit of both, Larson was really hurt but there were a few others that seem to get nicked up at really good times for us.

It was pretty smart really, is snapping the ball before the defenders can substitute unsportsmanlike? Hell Manning does that all the time. That is after all why Favre was trying to hurry up.

We were in dime or 3 D-lineman set's because it was a long 3rd down. When they would get the 1st down, he would try and hurry them up so we couldn't substitute and defend the run on 1st down.

Worked pretty good for us, Have the nickle back go down, he is coming out anyways. I have been saying we should do this against the Colts for years. He (Manning) is doing it to get an advantage, our would be sub outs staying down so we can get the right guys in, is to take the advantage away... Whats the difference?

We wouldn't need to be unsportsmanlike if he wasn't being unsportsmanlike...

fcspikeit
12-03-2008, 02:36 AM
There's a hold on every player, a push off on every play. I know that when I listen to a game I can hear some guys try to simulate the snap count. Part of this is gamesmanship. A lot of it is also up to personal interpretation by the refs.

I can construe an argument that is pretty legit on how the no huddle is poor sportsmanship.

I also don't believe it for a second. Bending the rules is.....bending the rules. I hear commentators compliment players all the time who play till the "second" whistle. People love Hines Ward for blowing up defensive players. In those two cases one can easily extrapolate those actions just a little bit and then bam! Poor sportsmanship.

If a player feigns injury, is it really that bad? You obviously cannot go to the well that many times. You also will be hard pressed to prove that he is not hurt. Muscle cramps happen all the time. Anytime a player makes contact a chance of being hurt or being injured is right there. Hell, we have all played sports here. Everyone knows that sometimes you just run out of gas.

Unless you had food poisoning or went to taco bell...........

Is committing pass interference when you've been beat, to prevent the TD or INT unsportsmanlike? no, its a good play.

Whats the penalty for an offensive PI 10 yards? That's a hell of a lot better then letting them get the INT..

Magnificent Seven
12-03-2008, 03:28 AM
NFL is real. No one needs to fake any injury.