PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion of individual players

ogplife
09-01-2011, 11:28 AM
Based off the preseason action, assess the starters (or any other non starter, that is popular to the average Bronco fan, Tebow, Irving etc.) Forget about what they have done in the past, what you expect them to do under pressure, where they were drafted or any other pre-conceived notion you may have. Just an assessment of the players you have seen on the field during the pre-season.

gregbroncs
09-01-2011, 12:08 PM
Larsen is terrible.
Tebow is not really close to ready.
The O-line as a whole is better than I expected because of their age.
Bunkley can be a really good DT.
And with Doom and Von we have 2 guys that will put a lot of pressure on the QB.

rationalfan
09-01-2011, 12:30 PM
i'm surprised mcbath has been virtually invisible. the guy, at one time, looked like a playmaker. now, not so much. at all.

Dzone
09-01-2011, 12:53 PM
Rahim Moore and Kyle Mccarthy have looked real good. Didnt see much of Q Carter, maybe tonight.
Von Miller has been everything he was supposed to be and more.
Robert Ayers hasnt done anything yet.
Vickerson looked decent at times.
If the O line gives Orton time, then Orton will be good.
Decker looks to be good.

BroncoNut
09-01-2011, 12:58 PM
when is the game tonight?

Orton's accuracy looks good. He's got a decent gun.
Von Miller and Doom, both good.
Maroney is still promising to me
O'line better,
Vickerson is big and decent
Brandon Lloyd is the man
Eddie Royal coming into his old form

Dzone
09-01-2011, 01:03 PM
Eddie Royal's drops were disturbing, but he looked good at other times.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-01-2011, 01:13 PM
The starting O-line looks improved - I think Clady is back to his normal, dominant self

The WR corps is still our strength, although I don't think Lloyd will have anywhere near the season he had last year. He has dropped a lot of catchable balls this preseason. He seems to throw himself to the ground too much, even when he doesn't need to. It's like he's trying to turn routine catches into highlight catches for no reason...

Orton is still Orton. He's shown good control of the offense, but he still lacks decisiveness under pressure and must have a great pocket to complete passes.

RBs look strong and motivated. If they can stay healthy, we might just have a very good running game.

Our TE position is much improved. Fells is a better blocker than Graham (I'm not kidding) and Thomas looks to be a better receiver than anyone we've had since Sharpe

The pass rush has improved drastically and we have the potential to be a top 10 defense vs the pass. We're still extremely suspect vs the run, though. If we key on it, we are okay vs the run, but if we're playing pass and they run, we get gashed big time.

LBs seem like they'll be fine, DJ or not. I'm content with the current group and we seem to have okay depth here, too.

The Secondary appears to be shaping up to be a darn good group. Champ is still a pimp, Vaughn is breaking out into a solid and aggressive cover man and both Moore and McCarthy are developing nicely and learning from Dawkins.

On paper, we look like an 8-8 ball club. We'll probably be closer to 6-10 but anything is better than where we were...

HORSEPOWER 56
09-01-2011, 01:16 PM

O'line better,
Brandon Lloyd is the man

10 PM EST for me and you. NFL Network.

underrated29
09-01-2011, 01:19 PM
Nut you are a dumbass

slim
09-01-2011, 01:21 PM
O'line better,
Brandon Lloyd is the man

IDK, nut.

I sure wish they would get the count down clock fixed so I don't miss the game.

BTW, I think the pass rush is uber good. I just hope teams don't try to run on us :elefant:

BroncoNut
09-01-2011, 01:27 PM
Eddie Royal's drops were disturbing, but he looked good at other times.

He had like what? One?

Rex
09-01-2011, 01:40 PM

O'line better,
Brandon Lloyd is the man

Uh huh.

Take it out of the dog and check a roster

Dzone
09-01-2011, 01:43 PM
good Dumervil article
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6909185/elvis-dumervil-small-stature-anchors-denver-broncos-defense

Buff
09-01-2011, 01:44 PM
Von Miller is a good tackle football player.

BroncoNut
09-01-2011, 01:44 PM
Uh huh.

Take it out of the dog and check a roster

oh, I meant Maloney

Dzone
09-01-2011, 01:53 PM
LMAO..Maroney has looked real good so far.

Dzone
09-01-2011, 01:55 PM
He had like what? One?

2 and they were right in his hands. No excuse for that.

BroncoNut
09-01-2011, 01:56 PM
lmao..maroney has looked real good so far.

yeah!!!!!! Orlmmfao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BroncoNut
09-01-2011, 01:56 PM
2 and they were right in his hands. No excuse for that.

I must have missed one of them

Jsteve01
09-01-2011, 01:58 PM
yeah!!!!!! Orlmmfao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought you did it on purpose lmao

slim
09-01-2011, 01:59 PM

He did.

Nut is smarter than everyone here put together. He just likes toying with people.

BroncoNut
09-01-2011, 02:00 PM

lol. no, I did mean Mareno though.

BroncoNut
09-01-2011, 02:01 PM
He did.

Nut is smarter than everyone here put together. He just likes toying with people.

swear to God, didn't do it on purpose. I do shit like that all the time.

Jsteve01
09-01-2011, 02:09 PM
He did.

I know he is that's why I saluted the original post....at least the guy contributes something to the conversation unlike some other posters

BroncoNut
09-01-2011, 02:18 PM
I know he is that's why I saluted the original post....at least the guy contributes something to the conversation unlike some other posters

thanks man. I'm still kinda football naiive and bad with names. I think this might be my break out year.

Mareno, not Maroney. Mareno, not Maroney. Mareno, not Maroney

MOtorboat
09-01-2011, 02:22 PM

thanks man. I'm still kinda football naiive and bad with names. I think this might be my break out year.

Who's Mareno?

Dzone
09-01-2011, 02:22 PM
Alphonso Smith still shows promise..

HORSEPOWER 56
09-01-2011, 02:23 PM

It's spelled M-O-R-E-N-O...

;)

Jsteve01
09-01-2011, 02:24 PM
Who's Mareno?

I think he played qb for the CSU rams

Ravage!!!
09-01-2011, 02:28 PM
Who's Mareno?

I think its spelled Marino :whoknows:

HORSEPOWER 56
09-01-2011, 02:29 PM
I think its spelled Marino :whoknows:

Dan? Dan Marino should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell!

Ziggy
09-01-2011, 02:34 PM
Fells has surprised me more than anyone. I had no idea just how dominant he is as a blocker. He's just erasing people from plays in the preseason.

Joe Mays surprised me in the last preseason game. He looked like a star after having 2 bad games earlier. I hope that's the real Joe Mays.

Bunkley is a stud. Get him healthy and re-sign the man soon to a long term deal. He's looked great in every phase of his game so far.

Jsteve01
09-01-2011, 02:44 PM
Bunkley has always been solid, he just never was the pass rusher people thought he'd be in Philly.

Jeremy Jarmon surprised me in that last game. Jason Hunter has really looked solid as well.

Im also in complete agreement on Fells. He can be this generation's Carswell. I honestly didn't expect much of him as a blocker after reading Rams forums.

Lancane
09-01-2011, 05:42 PM
Bunkley might just end up getting a long-term deal as Denver's nose tackle, he's been solid, he's not great...but Fox depends on defensive ends and linebackers more then defensive tackles in regards to most of his blitzing packages. If Warren returns healthy, and can live up to his talent level, then Denver may well have a solid rotation at the nose tackle spot.

Of course Miller, Decker, Moore and Franklin look to be doing extremely well. But in my opinion the player who stands out is Kyle McCarthy, he signed on as an undrafted college free agent and has become the heir apparent to Dawkins, and has looked better then Quinton Carter who was arguably one of the better safeties available in the last draft.

Jsteve01
09-01-2011, 06:33 PM
Bunkley might just end up getting a long-term deal as Denver's nose tackle, he's been solid, he's not great...but Fox depends on defensive ends and linebackers more then defensive tackles in regards to most of his blitzing packages. If Warren returns healthy, and can live up to his talent level, then Denver may well have a solid rotation at the nose tackle spot.

Of course Miller, Decker, Moore and Franklin look to be doing extremely well. But in my opinion the player who stands out is Kyle McCarthy, he signed on as an undrafted college free agent and has become the heir apparent to Dawkins, and has looked better then Quinton Carter who was arguably one of the better safeties available in the last draft.

yeah how could I forget McCarthy. I remember watching his college tape and thinking "how in the world did this guy avoid getting drafted" He's a great example of a guy who slipped because of average measurables, but he has a great feel for the game and always seemed to be around the ball at ND.

to put it in perspective his overall pro day numbers would have put him at the top of the list numbers wise for this year's class of safeties, and somehow he slipped out of the draft.

Lancane
09-01-2011, 06:43 PM
yeah how could I forget McCarthy. I remember watching his college tape and thinking "how in the world did this guy avoid getting drafted" He's a great example of a guy who slipped because of average measurables, but he has a great feel for the game and always seemed to be around the ball at ND.

to put it in perspective his overall pro day numbers would have put him at the top of the list numbers wise for this year's class of safeties, and somehow he slipped out of the draft.

It just goes to show the fickleness of the draft, McCarthy had a solid mid-round draft grade, he was expected to go from the middle of the fourth to maybe early in the fifth, but he just continued to slide out of the draft entirely. Sadly we see it all the time, but now and then one of them proves that they should have been drafted instead of ignored. You know some don't realize this but Shannon Sharpe was given a low draft grade and thought that he might go undrafted! I know we can't imagine it, but that would, could have been a travesty for Denver.

Jsteve01
09-01-2011, 06:47 PM
Drew Broylhart from the huddle report had McCarthy graded out as a 3rd rounder and said in the right two deep system, he could be a solid pro bowler.

http://www.thehuddlereport.com/Free/archive/Player.Profiles/2010.Profiles/Kyle.McCarthy.htm

It's all more evidence of what an inexact science the draft really is and also that there is a ton of talent in the league. It just needs to be utilized.

Agent of Orange
09-01-2011, 06:50 PM
Larsen is terrible.
Tebow is not really close to ready.
The O-line as a whole is better than I expected because of their age. Bunkley can be a really good DT.
And with Doom and Von we have 2 guys that will put a lot of pressure on the QB.

The jury's out on the OLine. They should be looking to upgrade Beadles and Walton if there's not significant improvement. Correction--massive improvement. They can't be scrubs this year.

Agent of Orange
09-01-2011, 06:55 PM
It just goes to show the fickleness of the draft, McCarthy had a solid mid-round draft grade, he was expected to go from the middle of the fourth to maybe early in the fifth, but he just continued to slide out of the draft entirely. Sadly we see it all the time, but now and then one of them proves that they should have been drafted instead of ignored. You know some don't realize this but Shannon Sharpe was given a low draft grade and thought that he might go undrafted! I know we can't imagine it, but that would, could have been a travesty for Denver.

Speaking of which, something to keep in mind when "experts" hype Barkley.

BTW, I watched videos of both Landry Jones and Barkley. Gotta say, Landry Jones makes more big time throws consistently than Matt Barkley. Barkley was actually kind of so-so in that regard.

gnomeflinger
09-01-2011, 06:58 PM
Two things:

I keep reading this thread title as "your opinion of individual posters"
I also read ogplife's name as "dogpile."

Dzone
09-01-2011, 07:12 PM
Colquit has been a beast

Lancane
09-01-2011, 07:41 PM
Speaking of which, something to keep in mind when "experts" hype Barkley.

BTW, I watched videos of both Landry Jones and Barkley. Gotta say, Landry Jones makes more big time throws consistently than Matt Barkley. Barkley was actually kind of so-so in that regard.

It's not something to keep in mind, I've said there are things I like and dislike about Barkley, such as he's more of a game manager then Jones or Luck, while he has a competitive streak, he does seem fail in regards to being driven to succeed. He can make all the throws but he has issues with his velocity and his accuracy is good but not great, nor does he have the strongest arm, not compared to the likes of Luck, Jones or Lindley, his arm is far more comparable to Foles or Cousins.

On the second part I agree, Jones seems to be a more accomplished passer in regards to his long ball ability, they both can spread the field, but Jones can throw tighter spirals and with much better velocity.

broncobryce
09-01-2011, 08:40 PM

It's Marino. He's in the hall of fame for god's sake! I was really shocked when they let him come back and play RB for us.

broncobryce
09-01-2011, 08:42 PM
Dan? Dan Marino should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell!

ah shit. I see you guys beat me to it.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-01-2011, 08:46 PM
ah shit. I see you guys beat me to it.

Laces out!!!

Jsteve01
09-01-2011, 09:07 PM
It's not something to keep in mind, I've said there are things I like and dislike about Barkley, such as he's more of a game manager then Jones or Luck, while he has a competitive streak, he does seem fail in regards to being driven to succeed. He can make all the throws but he has issues with his velocity and his accuracy is good but not great, nor does he have the strongest arm, not compared to the likes of Luck, Jones or Lindley, his arm is far more comparable to Foles or Cousins.

On the second part I agree, Jones seems to be a more accomplished passer in regards to his long ball ability, they both can spread the field, but Jones can throw tighter spirals and with much better velocity.

not completely sold on either of them. I've said it 10 times but Barkley reminds me of Jimmy Claussen. avg arm strength and nothing really exciting in the intangibles dept.

Landry has the tools but he's a project.

For me I'd much rather take a foles or the kid from A&M than Barkley or Jones

Lancane
09-01-2011, 09:32 PM
not completely sold on either of them. I've said it 10 times but Barkley reminds me of Jimmy Claussen. avg arm strength and nothing really exciting in the intangibles dept.

Landry has the tools but he's a project.

For me I'd much rather take a foles or the kid from A&M than Barkley or Jones

I wouldn't say that Jones is a project, not even close to being one IMHO. Foles and Barkley are very comparable when you watch them on film. Tannehill has some upside, but I'd take the others mentioned before him.

ogplife
09-01-2011, 10:50 PM
Two things:

I keep reading this thread title as "your opinion of individual posters"
I also read ogplife's name as "dogpile."

I dont get it

gnomeflinger
09-01-2011, 10:58 PM
I dont get it

Oh look, a rabbit!

CrazyHorse
09-02-2011, 12:13 AM
Brady Quinn is overrated. That is all.

Agent of Orange
09-02-2011, 04:23 PM
I wouldn't say that Jones is a project, not even close to being one IMHO. Foles and Barkley are very comparable when you watch them on film. Tannehill has some upside, but I'd take the others mentioned before him.

Im with him in not seeing the hype around Barkley. On the other hand, I'm with you on Jones. I've seen one of the criticisms of Jones as being that be has good WRs. Go look at where they're catching the ball and how he's delivering it to them on a fairly constistent basis. Granted, this doesn't mean he will be good in the NFL. And lets face it, the Big 12 plays soft pass defense. Nevertheless, look at where he's putting the ball on a fairly consistent basis. Jones has beautiful accuracy downfield on a lot of passes.

Lancane
09-02-2011, 04:42 PM
Im with him in not seeing the hype around Barkley. On the other hand, I'm with you on Jones. I've seen one of the criticisms of Jones as being that be has good WRs. Go look at where they're catching the ball and how he's delivering it to them on a fairly constistent basis. Granted, this doesn't mean he will be good in the NFL. And lets face it, the Big 12 plays soft pass defense. Nevertheless, look at where he's putting the ball on a fairly consistent basis. Jones has beautiful accuracy downfield on a lot of passes.

What I've noticed while watching film and comparing some of this classes quarterbacks that Foles is a more athletic version of Barkley and Cousins, even Tannehill those four I would label game managers but Foles may have the better upside of the bunch, they have solid arms, not great but far from weak, they can make most throws needed to succeed in the NFL, but can they transition to the next level? Each has intangibles that make them unique, Cousins is more polished, Foles is more athletic, Barkley is most competitive of the the bunch followed by Foles, while Tannehill seems more agile then the others mentioned.

When I look at big arms that can spread the field, are more precises at throwing long and have good accuracy in that aspect then I have to say that would be Luck, Jones and Lindley.

The project quarterbacks in this draft IMHO are Weeden, Moore, Harnish Manual and Griffin.

If I was going to rank my top quarterbacks in this draft who look NFL capable, I would have to go...

1. Andrew Luck - Stanford
2. Landry Jones - Oklahoma
3. Matt Barkley - USC
4. Nick Foles - Arizona
5. Ryan Lindley - San Diego State
6. Kirk Cousins - Michigan State
7. Ryan Tannehill - Texas A&M

And not unless Tyler Wilson has a breakout year and mixes it up and decides to enter the draft would that really change.

tubby
09-02-2011, 11:16 PM
Cut Royal. Keep Riley and Anderson.

Buff
09-06-2011, 11:56 PM

Anderson is dead weight. We can find a 5'6" try-hard WR playing intramurals at CU to fill his slot.

Dzone
09-07-2011, 12:08 AM
Im really curious to know what happens with Demaryous Thomas. Seeing some highlights of him from last year, and man, that dude looked good. So how far along is he? Somewhere I heard he was 2 months ahead of schedule. You never know. He is young. Sometimes the human body can heal in amazing ways. Thats what we have to hope for. If he can do what he did last year, then he will be a huge weapon.

Canmore
09-07-2011, 12:23 AM
Im really curious to know what happens with Demaryous Thomas. Seeing some highlights of him from last year, and man, that dude looked good. So how far along is he? Somewhere I heard he was 2 months ahead of schedule. You never know. He is young. Sometimes the human body can heal in amazing ways. Thats what we have to hope for. If he can do what he did last year, then he will be a huge weapon.

I didn't realize until just lately that D. Thomas only had a partial tear of his achilles and not a total rupture. That is a huge difference. He has a chance of making it back. I had written him off with a total tear but he may just be one of the lucky ones. He certainly is ahead of schedule.

CoachChaz
09-07-2011, 08:40 AM
What I've noticed while watching film and comparing some of this classes quarterbacks that Foles is a more athletic version of Barkley and Cousins, even Tannehill those four I would label game managers but Foles may have the better upside of the bunch, they have solid arms, not great but far from weak, they can make most throws needed to succeed in the NFL, but can they transition to the next level? Each has intangibles that make them unique, Cousins is more polished, Foles is more athletic, Barkley is most competitive of the the bunch followed by Foles, while Tannehill seems more agile then the others mentioned.

When I look at big arms that can spread the field, are more precises at throwing long and have good accuracy in that aspect then I have to say that would be Luck, Jones and Lindley.

The project quarterbacks in this draft IMHO are Weeden, Moore, Harnish Manual and Griffin.

If I was going to rank my top quarterbacks in this draft who look NFL capable, I would have to go...

1. Andrew Luck - Stanford
2. Landry Jones - Oklahoma
3. Matt Barkley - USC
4. Nick Foles - Arizona
5. Ryan Lindley - San Diego State
6. Kirk Cousins - Michigan State
7. Ryan Tannehill - Texas A&M

And not unless Tyler Wilson has a breakout year and mixes it up and decides to enter the draft would that really change.

Am I missing something with Lindley? The guy has the accuracy of Helen Keller and his mechanics suck. Personally, I would list at least Cousins ahead of him and put him in a tier with Tannehill and Brandon Wheedon.

And...which Barkley have you been watching? Kid has a really good arm.

nflfan
09-07-2011, 09:16 AM
Best and most important skills player is Orton, period.

BroncoNut
09-07-2011, 09:18 AM

Tubby, you are better than that

Northman
09-07-2011, 10:01 AM
Am I missing something with Lindley? The guy has the accuracy of Helen Keller and his mechanics suck. Personally, I would list at least Cousins ahead of him and put him in a tier with Tannehill and Brandon Wheedon.

Dont know much about Lindley but that was funny. :lol:

SOCALORADO.
09-07-2011, 10:04 AM

And...which Barkley have you been watching? Kid has a really good arm.

OK, i get the Lindley accuracy, but he does have pretty good mechanics.
And when he wants to, he can throw bullets.
I think Lindley gets alot of love because he had a really solid HC for his 1st few years, and he got him somewhat prepared by playing him in a pro-style, NFL offesne. Which is smart in regards to the QB position. The guy has a ton of upside, and is close to being a complete QB. Yeah, he has issues, but its SDSU, man! He has NO WR weapons this year. His best reciever is a guy with 4 career receptions from Lindley before sat's game! Now he has like 10!

As for the rest, Luck has it all. Hes the best QB prospect to come out of college since Peyton. He is a lethal pocket passer, with extremely good footwork. Mechanics are almost perfect. Really good scrambler, and can extend plays with his feet. Averages 7.1 yards when he runs.
Barkley has a cannon, and anyone who thinks differently is simply biased. I get the SC hate, and i dont help the matter by rubbing it in, but hes plain good. He can make any NFL throw. He also is very good from the pocket. Really good at moving around while the pocket collapses, and still gets the ball downfield. Good scrambler as well. Highly competitive. Franchise material in every sense of the word.
Landry Jones is not nearly as polished as Barkley in the pro-style offense, however Jones may very well be the best pure passer of all of the QBs.
When given time, he is also lethal. Very accurate, very good mechanics, good downfield vision, just an all around good skill set.
All 3 are considered franchise QBs.
I see all 3 QBs going in the top 5. Lindley a bottom 1st, top of the 2nd round pick with Foles and Cousins. Foles might go ahead of Lindley.