PDA

View Full Version : With last round of cuts coming, many Denver Broncos on edge entering final preseason game

Denver Native (Carol)
09-01-2011, 11:22 AM
For more than two dozen players who have spent the better part of a month in Broncos uniforms, the clock will strike done this weekend.

And for the guys down the Broncos' depth chart, beyond the starters who likely will get tonight off, the preseason finale in Arizona against the Cardinals will be their last opportunity to make a good impression.

"You really try to just take it day by day," said undrafted rookie quarterback Adam Weber, who is expected to get his first game action with the Broncos tonight. "You can get called into the coach's office any morning. So you show up, ready to work, ready to get better and do that as many times as possible and try not to worry about the rest."

rest of article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18801429

rationalfan
09-01-2011, 12:29 PM
nearly every year there's a surprise cut from the broncos roster. any thoughts on who it might be this year?

my best guess: spencer larsen; and that wouldn't be a total shocker.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-01-2011, 01:41 PM
nearly every year there's a surprise cut from the broncos roster. any thoughts on who it might be this year?

my best guess: spencer larsen; and that wouldn't be a total shocker.

I would agree with you, if the other FB (Sylvester) had taken any reps at all with the 1s. Even though some folks here swear that the Erhart-Perkins doesn't use much of the FB and that it's a dead weight position in our offense, we've actually lined up in a two back set with a FB a good amount. That's John Fox's influence. You can't play power-run football without a FB. The Jets, Giants and Texans are proof.

My "surprise" cuts are (meaning guys people wouldn't expect to be cut):

- Darcel McBath (another 2nd round pick down the crapper) - McCarthy has made McBath expendable.

- Dante Rosario - (even though he came over from Carolina) the emergence of Fells and Thomas and the fact that Rosario barely gets on the field with the 3s tells me he's not long for the roster

- Britt Davis - big body guy who seems like a good possession guy, but I think he's the odd man out when it comes to the WR corps between him, Willis, and David Anderson (who also plays STs)

- Jeremy Beal - only a "surprise" because he was in this year's draft class.

- Perrish Cox - Hasn't looked overly good this preseason (except his one pick) and I just don't think the FO wants to deal with the headache especially for an "average" CB. His impending trial is a huge dark cloud that we need to distance ourselves from. The emergence of Vaughn and solid play of Squid makes Cox expendable.

- Virgil Green - was drafted this year but will be released and signed to the practice squad. We only have Carolina to worry about grabbing our PS guys before we assign them because we're second on the waiver wire.

I think those will be the real "surprises". Weber will get cut and go to the PS as will guys like J Johnson and an O-lineman or two.

Ziggy
09-01-2011, 02:08 PM
My surprise cuts:

1. Spencer Larsen- Not because of Sylvester though. I think the Broncos pick up a quality FB after cuts and go in a whole new direction. This team only needs 1 FB on the roster with the tight ends being able to step in.

2. Mario Hagan- Mohamed and Irving can both play all of the LB positions and provide promising depth and youth.

3. David Bruton- He's a special teams stud, but there's a ton of young talent at the safety position now. McCarthy and Quinton Carter can play both safety positions and should be 3 and 4. I won't add McBath to my list, because I don't think it's a real surprise to anyone if he gets cut.

These cuts may come a day or 2 after the main cuts when the Broncos start claiming players off of the wire.

BroncoWave
09-01-2011, 07:45 PM
I would agree with you, if the other FB (Sylvester) had taken any reps at all with the 1s. Even though some folks here swear that the Erhart-Perkins doesn't use much of the FB and that it's a dead weight position in our offense, we've actually lined up in a two back set with a FB a good amount. That's John Fox's influence. You can't play power-run football without a FB. The Jets, Giants and Texans are proof.

My "surprise" cuts are (meaning guys people wouldn't expect to be cut):

- Darcel McBath (another 2nd round pick down the crapper) - McCarthy has made McBath expendable.

- Dante Rosario - (even though he came over from Carolina) the emergence of Fells and Thomas and the fact that Rosario barely gets on the field with the 3s tells me he's not long for the roster

- Britt Davis - big body guy who seems like a good possession guy, but I think he's the odd man out when it comes to the WR corps between him, Willis, and David Anderson (who also plays STs)

- Jeremy Beal - only a "surprise" because he was in this year's draft class.

- Perrish Cox - Hasn't looked overly good this preseason (except his one pick) and I just don't think the FO wants to deal with the headache especially for an "average" CB. His impending trial is a huge dark cloud that we need to distance ourselves from. The emergence of Vaughn and solid play of Squid makes Cox expendable.

- Virgil Green - was drafted this year but will be released and signed to the practice squad. We only have Carolina to worry about grabbing our PS guys before we assign them because we're second on the waiver wire.

I think those will be the real "surprises". Weber will get cut and go to the PS as will guys like J Johnson and an O-lineman or two.

I don't think this is the case. I think the player has to completely clear waivers before you can put him on the PS. I don't think you can just cut someone them claim them and put then on the PS.

Davii
09-01-2011, 08:33 PM
I don't think this is the case. I think the player has to completely clear waivers before you can put him on the PS. I don't think you can just cut someone them claim them and put then on the PS.

I think you're right Carol. Every team gets an opportunity to bring them in before they are considered to have cleared waivers and can then be placed on the practice squad.

Tned
09-01-2011, 08:39 PM
Someone has to say it, I think Orton is going to be cut on Saturday....

Ok, probably not. Hard to say. Lindsay Jones was just on KOA saying that traditionally, Fox only keeps three TE's, so that would probably mean Green and maybe Rosario get cut. If one of them can double as a fullback, that could help them.

Northman
09-01-2011, 08:40 PM
I dont see Cox getting cut but cant argue with most of which have been mentioned.

Tned
09-01-2011, 10:41 PM
Someone has to say it, I think Orton is going to be cut on Saturday....

Oops, wrong QB, looking like Quinn now...

Northman
09-01-2011, 10:50 PM
Yea, i think Quinn is gone.

dogfish
09-02-2011, 12:10 AM
there hasn't been a player mentioned yet that i'd consider a surprise. . . .

Nick
09-02-2011, 01:01 AM
It think the biggest surprises is who will stay. I see the Broncos going with Orton, Tebow and Weber. While they would love to put Webber on practice squad. I think they know from him practicing with Broncos he will be claimed off waivers from another team.

I really like this kid and think he is going to be the surprise non-cut.

As far as person cut... They can let half our team and would not really be surprised.

The only place I see decent depth is at safety, LB, and WR... So our surprise cut would be amongst one of them.

I see them releasing a good amount of players and opening some additional room to claim some people off waivers. I see them claiming RB/FB, CB, DT, OL off waivers.

PAINTERDAVE
09-02-2011, 01:40 AM
This year... since we are #2 on the waiver list...

there are gonna be some guys who make the 53 man roster...

who are still not safe.

and after that performance tonight...
I think we may see up to 8 guys claimed..

which would mean 8 more cuts after the cut down saturday....

so a total of maybe 35 guys on the squad today wont be here in a week.

but we would be adding in some new talent...

hoepfully on the

o-line
d-line
RB

Lancane
09-02-2011, 02:13 AM
I believe Quinn will be cut, just a gut feeling...but it's gives him a chance to land a job elsewhere and they could easily use the excuse that they decided to go with Tebow as the backup, which is rather logical.

Minor will probably get the third running back spot, so therefor Ball and Johnson will get the boot. Larsen will remain at fullback, but Sylvester will likely be cut in order for them to keep a fourth tight end in Rosario, who can play fullback as well. Fells, Gronkowski and Thomas will all make the team, so Green I believe will be the odd man out.

As for the offensive line? Yikes, I would say that Byers and Hochstein are both gone, while Ramirez will be backup to both the center and guard spots along with Olsen or someone off waivers. Daniels will likely make final cuts to be the backup to both tackle positions, with Taylor getting axed and replaced by someone off waivers.

Regarding the receiver position, Lloyd, Royal, Decker, Thomas are secure...so I am going to say that Willis, Davis, Goodwin, Hamler and Orton are gone, leaving Riley and Anderson on the roster.

Defensively we're a mess...I believe that after Ayers and Dumervil we'll keep Jarmon, Beal and Hunter. Bunkley, Thomas, Warren, Vickerson and McBean remain, leaving Urien, Pressley and Brown as expendables, we will likely add a defensive tackle off waivers or via free agency. I think one surprise cut might be Woodyard, I see Mohamed moving behind Williams at the Will position and Bowen is likely to be cut as well - I think we'll end up keeping seven linebackers.

With the injury to Thompson, especially if it is a tear, I think we'll see Bing make the final cut along with Vaughn, Cox and Harris are probably history and Denver should be adding a cornerback off waivers. Dawkins will make the final cut of course along with Moore and McCarthy, I believe that Carter and Bruton will likely keep their spots, McBath could be gone.

That's my best guess at this time.

ikillz0mbies
09-02-2011, 03:09 AM
I really don't know who I think would be a surprise cut. If anything, Perrish Cox but with Syd'Quan Thompson going down, I think Cox stays.

Regarding the WR, Lloyd, Royal, Decker, Thomas are safe. I really think David Andersen makes it because of ST value and Eron Riley. Riley has good speed and has made some great catches this off-season.

I think Larsen does get cut, but who do the Broncos get at FB? The back-up Sylvester will probably get cut as well.

And the TE spot: Thomas and Fells are safe. I would like to think that Virgil Green is safe. Rosario should be cut as he hasn't shown anything. Why do you guys think that Gronkowski stays?

The QB spot: Broncos keep both Quinn and Tebow. I think this is the safe route to go. With the ability of keeping 3 QB's active, why not keep Quinn? Weber is a definite practice squad candidate.

Just my 2 cents.

Tned
09-02-2011, 07:24 AM
The QB spot: Broncos keep both Quinn and Tebow. I think this is the safe route to go. With the ability of keeping 3 QB's active, why not keep Quinn? Weber is a definite practice squad candidate.

Just my 2 cents.

Agreed. Orton has never managed to stay healthy for a full season. He's gutted through quite a few injuries, like when Simms bombed as his backup, but he's still not made it through a season healthy. I'm not sure if the Broncos consider that history, but as bad as Quinn has looked at times in his career, and last night in this preseason, going with Tebow and Weber as the backups isn't much experience.

Dreadnought
09-02-2011, 08:07 AM
Agreed. Orton has never managed to stay healthy for a full season. He's gutted through quite a few injuries, like when Simms bombed as his backup, but he's still not made it through a season healthy. I'm not sure if the Broncos consider that history, but as bad as Quinn has looked at times in his career, and last night in this preseason, going with Tebow and Weber as the backups isn't much experience.

I've seen all I care to see of Quinn, now or ever. Keep Tebow, keep Weber, ship Quinn somewhere the Hell else.

MileHighCrew
09-02-2011, 08:40 AM
I think Quinn is a lot better than he showed last night. I agree it was horrible but I still think at this point hE is the best back up for the Broncos

Dzone
09-02-2011, 09:32 AM
Perrish Cox will prob stay now that Squid is out.
D Rosario and Gronk will be gone.

vandammage13
09-02-2011, 09:56 AM
I think Quinn is a lot better than he showed last night. I agree it was horrible but I still think at this point hE is the best back up for the Broncos

I would want to believe that last night was an abberation for Quinn, but he had similar dismal performances in last year's preseason, as well as his years in Cleveland.

I don't know how many passes you can give this guy until we just accept what he is.

SOCALORADO.
09-02-2011, 09:59 AM
Perrish Cox will prob stay now that Squid is out.
D Rosario and Gronk will be gone.

What was the final verdict on Squid?

CoachChaz
09-02-2011, 10:05 AM

I would want to believe that last night was an abberation for Quinn, but he had similar dismal performances in last year's preseason, as well as his years in Cleveland.

I don't know how many passes you can give this guy until we just accept what he is.

Just out of curiosity...how many quality opportunities has he had? Playing on a bad te az m in Cleveland, where if he had a bad game, he was benched...until the next QB also had a bad game, and then,p km ayed again? Or was it in his time pkaying preseason games with backups and retreads?

Not defending Quinn specifically, but the NFL and other sports are littered with players that had to perform in insavory circunstances. In reality...put Manning or Brady in the same situations Quinn and others have been in and guarantee me they would flourish

vandammage13
09-02-2011, 10:23 AM
Just out of curiosity...how many quality opportunities has he had? Playing on a bad te az m in Cleveland, where if he had a bad game, he was benched...until the next QB also had a bad game, and then,p km ayed again? Or was it in his time pkaying preseason games with backups and retreads?

Not defending Quinn specifically, but the NFL and other sports are littered with players that had to perform in insavory circunstances. In reality...put Manning or Brady in the same situations Quinn and others have been in and guarantee me they would flourish

I'll give you the Cleveland years...Those probably can't be held too much against him, as that what just a bad situation to begin with.

However, so far in his 2 years of preseason action here in Denver, he has shown flashes of competence, but also many flashes of ineptitude.

I think if he was ever going to make strides in his development he would have done it by now. He's still way too inconsistent for a 5th year vet.

ikillz0mbies
09-02-2011, 11:02 AM
Quinn did play with the back-ups last night didn't he? Prior to that, he's looked solid and should be the QB that steps in if Orton goes down.

Northman
09-02-2011, 11:09 AM
Quinn did play with the back-ups last night didn't he? Prior to that, he's looked solid and should be the QB that steps in if Orton goes down.

He did.

Problem is so did Tebow and yet he made more plays which is what you need a QB to do in dire circumstances. The unfortuante thing for both Quinn and Tebow is that neither got to play with the 1st stringers so logically so that was an injustice on Fox's part.

Lancane
09-02-2011, 11:24 AM

I don't think Quinn get's cut because he had one bad night or so-so off-season. Look, the man has been jerked around by this organization from the start, we traded for him with intentions of allowing him to compete for a starting job, McDaniels went with Orton instead and drafted Tebow, since he's gotten here that line 'compete for a position' has been in reference to the backup job, never the starting job. He owes us absolutely nothing and the chances of him re-signing with us is arguably slim. I don't see them placing a tag on him, that could be a very questionable move and one that makes us a laughable organization. If we allow him to walk, he'd be able to test the waters with teams that have quarterback issues; maybe Seattle gives him a chance to start or Buffalo. It wouldn't be the first time a team allowed a player to walk to simply keep different people on the roster or to allow them to find a better situation.

Davii
09-02-2011, 02:24 PM
Weber is a definite practice squad candidate.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree that he is a damn good candidate for the practice squad, in fact, good enough that I don't think he would clear waivers. If we try to move him to the practice squad I think he winds up in a different uniform next week.

nevcraw
09-02-2011, 02:58 PM
Quinn looked solid in back up duty against 2nd and third stringers in pre-season games and practise. the guy like Orton is not good with the bullets aren't made of rubber..

Agent of Orange
09-02-2011, 04:10 PM

Tebow has looked better.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-02-2011, 04:44 PM
I did not want to start a new thread for this - but I have a question - I posted in other NFL not long ago, that AZ Cardinals already cut to 53 - can other teams immediately start picking up their players, if there is, let's say, 1 player they want, or do they have to wait until all teams have made cuts?

dogfish
09-02-2011, 04:51 PM
I did not want to start a new thread for this - but I have a question - I posted in other NFL not long ago, that AZ Cardinals already cut to 53 - can other teams immediately start picking up their players, if there is, let's say, 1 player they want, or do they have to wait until all teams have made cuts?

it depends on whether the players were waived or outright released. . . IIRC, those with less than four years of service have to be waived and pass through waivers, while vested vets go immediately to free agency and can sign with any team. . . .

Denver Native (Carol)
09-02-2011, 05:05 PM
it depends on whether the players were waived or outright released. . . IIRC, those with less than four years of service have to be waived and pass through waivers, while vested vets go immediately to free agency and can sign with any team. . . .

True - but what if the Broncos see a player who AZ waived, and Carolina passes, can the Broncos pick them up now, or do they need to wait, as all cuts need to be made by 3:00 PM Sat (I assume that is Eastern time)

Ziggy
09-02-2011, 05:21 PM
True - but what if the Broncos see a player who AZ waived, and Carolina passes, can the Broncos pick them up now, or do they need to wait, as all cuts need to be made by 3:00 PM Sat (I assume that is Eastern time)

The Broncos would pick them up immediately, and have to cut a player within 24 hours.

Cugel
09-02-2011, 05:39 PM

Quinn looked horrible playing with a bunch of stiffs many of whom won't make the 53 man roster! :coffee:

I think Orton would have looked horrible last night with those losers. The OL is particularly bad after you remove the starters. They have almost NO quality backups after they stupidly let Ryan Harris get away in FA.

If they'd kept him then Orlando Franklin would be a quality backup -- now he's forced to be the starter.

Tebow is better at escaping from pressure and running around to make something happen -- but that is NOT how John Fox wants his offense run, which is why Quinn and not Tebow is the #2 QB. If a couple of the key OL go down this season it may come to that of course.

If the OL is horrible, and the RBs are nothing great then you probably want to put Tebow in rather than Quinn, who, like Orton, needs a strong OL and decent RBs/WRs to give the ball to.

I would expect that the Broncos pick up at least 3 offensive players off the waiver wire and perhaps 3 or 4 defenders (including a CB and a DT).

They could definitely use a backup right OT as well as a backup guard or center.

A backup RB to spell Willis McGahee. Moreno is not a power running back and Fox likes to run the ball in short yardage, so a backup to McGahee is a must pickup.

Possibly a backup WR.

So, that's 3 or 4 offensive players right there.

As for defenders:

[QUOTE]They have plenty of safeties, but nowhere near enough talented cornerbacks (http://www.denverpost.com/krieger/ci_18810413), especially after Syd'Quan Thompson injured his Achilles tendon Thursday night. Claiming at least one cornerback off waivers is a necessity. Claiming two is a possibility.

They might add a LB if they see one they like better than their backups now that DJ is out for a month to 6 weeks.

opposing personnel executives who have reviewed the roster believe they will simply struggle to deal with, let alone replace, any key player who is injured.

That will have to change BEFORE the season starts. Fox knows that they must get some quality depth in immediately because right now they are paper thin on this roster at almost every position.

pnbronco
09-02-2011, 11:25 PM
The Broncos would pick them up immediately, and have to cut a player within 24 hours.

Thanks Ziggy I was wondering the same thing.

Also is there any list of who been cut, or a player that could possible be someone we would be interested in?

Tned
09-02-2011, 11:35 PM

I agree 100% that Quinn is better than he showed last night, however I doubt he is too much better than he showed in Cleveland when he couldn't permanently wrestle the job away from Derek Anderson.

Canmore
09-03-2011, 12:14 AM
I agree 100% that Quinn is better than he showed last night, however I doubt he is too much better than he showed in Cleveland when he couldn't permanently wrestle the job away from Derek Anderson.

I think Brady Quinn has made some strides. Last night was horrid but I truely believe he is a better quarterback than that. Hope I'm not looking through those orange tinted glasses.

tomjonesrocks
09-03-2011, 10:03 AM
They have almost NO quality backups after they stupidly let Ryan Harris get away in FA.

If they'd kept him then Orlando Franklin would be a quality backup -- now he's forced to be the starter.

IMO the team has/had WAY bigger problems than Harris at RT. The team should have never drafted Franklin to begin with in that spot. If he works out, great--but if he doesn't that move's going to look McDaniels-esque.

I wish this team would STOP overthinking shit in the draft and just follow conventional wisdom...

pnbronco
09-03-2011, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by Cugel
They have almost NO quality backups after they stupidly let Ryan Harris get away in FA.

This was in other teams thread:

Howard Eskin of 610 WIP and NBC-10 reports Harris has a herniated disc in his back. The free agent pickup will have back surgery next week, according to CSNPhilly.com.

rest of article: Article came out Aug 26, 2011

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/26/report-ryan-harris-has-herniated-disc/

CoachChaz
09-03-2011, 10:35 AM

He wasnt exactly given much of a chance either. Playing behind a bad OL where his best targets were a mediocre TE and drop every other ball WR. That alone is a bad situation...then add the fact he was pulled every time he made a mistake...only to be thrown back in a week or two later under the same circumstances and consequences.

Has he developed a lot since coming into the NFL? No. But I dont know that he's has much of a chance either.

14 games with Cleveland and he had 1902 yards with 10 TD and 9 INT with a 66.8 rating. Not much different than the number McCoy put up last year in a slightly better scenario...but McCoy gets a pass.

Im not a Quinn apologist, but I find it hard to throw away players that have never really been able to show their abilities properly. Those end up being the guys that come back as opposing starters and burn you

TXBRONC
09-03-2011, 11:47 AM
I've seen all I care to see of Quinn, now or ever. Keep Tebow, keep Weber, ship Quinn somewhere the Hell else.

I hear ya but I really don't think it will happen.