PDA

View Full Version : Broncos report: Bailey vows to return this week vs. Chiefs

Magnificent Seven
12-02-2008, 02:52 AM
Just for the record, the answers are yes, yes and yes.

Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey missed his fifth consecutive game Sunday because of the groin injury he suffered in October in New England.

But Monday he said, yes, he's feeling better. Yes, it's driving him crazy to stand on the sideline. And, yes, he will play Sunday against the Kansas City Chiefs at Invesco Field at Mile High (2:05 p.m., CBS 4).

At least if it's up to him, that is.

"I definitely want to be out there when we clinch this division. I'll be out there this week one way or the other," Bailey said Monday. "I'm saying I'm going. Unless something else happens, I'll be out there."

Bailey has practiced on a limited basis the past two weeks and worked out in cleats at the team's Dove Valley complex Monday.

But Broncos coach Mike Shanahan wasn't willing to commit beyond general optimism that Bailey could play against the Chiefs.

"We'll see how he practices," Shanahan said. "He seems to be getting better. He practiced a little bit last week. . . . Hopefully that's a good sign."

Bailey, who had missed only three games in his previous nine NFL seasons combined, has seen the team go 3-2 in the games he has missed. That total now includes road wins at Atlanta and at the Jets, two teams that have won at least eight games this season.

Rookie Josh Bell has started the past three games in Bailey's left cornerback spot, and Karl Paymah started the first two games Bailey missed with the injury. Bell has played well enough that the Broncos have even left him alone on opposing receivers from time to time.

It allowed the Broncos to mix things up in coverage, as well as give Dre Bly some help deep with a safety from time to time. That has allowed Bly to play far more aggressively to the underneath side of the receiver and play the ball.

Both of Bly's interceptions this season have come in the past three games.

"That's special to see how the young guys have played all over the defense," Bailey said. " . . . But Josh has played really hard and he's a smart guy. He's really played with some confidence and kept his head up. But most important he's done whatever they've asked him to do.

"He's been in some tough spots and he keeps on playing."

Shanahan said he's hopeful linebacker Nate Webster (knee), who has missed the past three games, could be ready to return as well this week. D.J. Williams (knee) has missed four games and still is likely at least a week away from being able to play in a game.

Safety Marlon McCree, who has missed four games with a severely sprain ankle, said last week he was hopeful to practice on a limited basis in the coming week.

"Been testing myself for about two weeks now," Bailey said. "This is probably the best I've felt in two weeks. . . . I just want to get back out there. I don't like standing and watching while everybody else is out there trying to get us some wins. But you have to like the way guys have fought out there. I've been saying, those guys might not have expected to play this year as much as they have, but they have all had a lot of fight in them, and they're out there laying it all on the line."

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/dec/01/broncos-report-bailey-says-he-will-play-against/

gobroncsnv
12-02-2008, 08:06 AM
I agree... I hope Webster is healthy enough to back up Larsen this week, and for the rest of the year.

broncofaninfla
12-02-2008, 08:38 AM
I agree... I hope Webster is healthy enough to back up Larsen this week, and for the rest of the year.

I agree, the only place I want to see Webster is on the sidelines. Shanny is giving more and more reps to Haggan. I haven't figured that one out yet. Larsen has been solid.

Very happy to see Champ is coming back this weekend! :salute:

Shazam!
12-02-2008, 09:51 AM
Maybe we can interest 2008's version of Ian Gold a trade to Washington.

NightTrainLayne
12-02-2008, 10:26 AM
I'm glad Bailey is getting ready to come back.

That being said though, hats off to the guys who have filled in all the holes in our defense, especially Josh Bell.