PDA

View Full Version : Joe Mays Is Quickly Becoming One Of My Favorites

getlynched47
09-01-2011, 12:51 AM
Tough. Hard-nosed. Strong. Relentless. Kamikaze missile Mays!

He hits and injures anybody in his way after he locks on to a target.

I'm really liking what Joe Mays has done during training camp and during preseason.

Joe Mays' weakness was that he'd be a huge liability in coverage. That has not been the case over the passed 2 months.

Arguably, he's been our best coverage linebacker, which is odd for a stocky 5'11, 250 lbs. linebacker not known for his speed or athleticism.

In fact, there were a few times in the last preseason game that he was covering wide receivers on crossing routes! No joke! Go re-watch the game if you don't believe me.

Most of all, the hits he delivers are just adrenaline-pumping. I've had the privilege of going to the last 2 preseason games and every time Joe Mays delivered a huge hit, the crowd had an instant shot of energy.

He's developing into a complete linebacker. I know I shouldn't overreact on what I've seen in preseason, but I do believe it's a true indicator of what kind of progress Joe Mays has made from last year to this year.

Without a doubt he's my candidate for most-improved player on our team, followed by Cassius Vaughn.

He's going to keep Nate Irving on the bench for a long time.

threefolddead
09-01-2011, 08:35 AM
Amen to that! I loved watching him last year just because he was putting on some big time hits. He had a long way to go though and he really has come out and showed that he's improved in almost every facet of the game. His tackling is much improved and watching what he did last week was impressive. He showed power and the ability to light someone up when tackling them with the correct form. Just another reason to really like this Defense.

BroncoNut
09-01-2011, 08:42 AM
it's good to hear. He was in on a lot of plays in the only psg I watched.

Ziggy
09-01-2011, 08:51 AM
Mays had a bad game in the first 2 preseason games. He looked great against Seattle. I hope that it's a sign of things to come. I'm not sure how long he'll keep Nate Irving on the bench for the simple fact that he's an UFA after the season is over. With the cap room that the Broncos have though, I wouldn't be surprised to see some players re-signed during the season. If Mays plays well enough, he could be one of them.

BroncoNut
09-01-2011, 08:53 AM
Mays had a bad game in the first 2 preseason games. He looked great against Seattle. I hope that it's a sign of things to come. I'm not sure how long he'll keep Nate Irving on the bench for the simple fact that he's an UFA after the season is over. With the cap room that the Broncos have though, I wouldn't be surprised to see some players re-signed during the season. If Mays plays well enough, he could be one of them.

The Seattle game was the only one I caught. He seemed to be all over the place

gobroncsnv
09-01-2011, 11:11 PM
can't believe his arm size, man's got serious guns... If he can't hang at LB< wonder what he'd be good for if he put on about 50...

Ziggy
09-02-2011, 10:28 AM
With the way Nate Irving looked last night, I'd say Bazooka Joe Mays is the 2011 starting MLB for our Broncos without having to look over his shoulder at all.

gobroncsnv
09-09-2011, 10:37 PM
guy's a player, he is. Wouldn't count on seeing him get knocked backwards too many times... We've needed guys like him,

#24 Next Champ
09-09-2011, 11:26 PM
Ya I'm starting to like Mays alot ...jus get him outta there on passing downs but I love his play