PDA

View Full Version : Negative Media Reports Fired Up Broncos' Hillis

Denver Native (Carol)
12-01-2008, 11:09 PM
http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/hillis.peyton.broncos.2.877053.html

Negative Media Reports Fired Up Broncos' Hillis

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) ―

Peyton Hillis heard what was being said on TV about his Denver Broncos -- and it didn't sit well with him.

"They were all saying we shouldn't get off the plane," the rookie running back said. "That really got me fired up."

Then he took it out on the New York Jets -- and he wasn't alone.

Hillis rushed for a career-high 129 yards and a score, and Jay Cutler threw for 357 yards and two touchdowns to lead the Broncos to a 34-17 victory at a wet and windy Meadowlands on Sunday.

"We've been unpredictable all year," Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said. "Hopefully, we can get a little more predictable and play like we did today."

The Broncos (7-5) washed away the sting of a 31-10 loss to Oakland at home last weekend by stopping the Jets' five-game winning streak. It was a disappointing loss for New York (8-4), which was coming off emotional victories at New England and Tennessee and was making a claim as the conference's top team.

"We just didn't show up like we were supposed to today," Jets running back Thomas Jones said.

Added running back Leon Washington: "We realize we're not as good as we thought we were."

Appearing hardly bothered by the steady rain and wind, Cutler finished 27-of-43, mixing in short, accurate throws with a few long ones while picking on the Jets' suspect secondary.

"He embraced throwing in the rain," Shanahan said. "He likes it. There is nothing that seems to bother him. Some guys it bothers, others it doesn't. With Cutler, he likes throwing the wet ball."

Well, not quite, Mike.

"I don't know if 'likes' is the right word," Cutler said. "I think it has a lot to do with mind-set. We knew last night what the conditions would be like. I've had some success in the past in inclement weather, being able to throw it. I just feel comfortable back there throwing it."

Brett Favre struggled in the sloppy conditions, finishing 23-of-43 for 247 yards and an interception.

"He was the better man tonight," Favre said of Cutler.

Actually, the Broncos were the better team, period.

Hillis became the first to gain 100 or more yards rushing against New York's third-ranked run defense as the Broncos took a commanding three-game lead in the AFC West with four games left. Brandon Stokley and Eddie Royal each had touchdown catches, and tight ends Tony Scheffler and Daniel Graham combined for 13 catches and 149 yards.

"We took this as a challenge," receiver Brandon Marshall said. "We came out today and showed what we can do when we play consistent."

Jones had 138 yards rushing and two touchdowns for New York, which maintained its one-game lead in the AFC East over New England and Miami despite the loss.

"I was really disappointed with the way that we played today," said a clearly irritated coach Eric Mangini. "We've established a certain way to play football around here. We've established a certain identity and this wasn't even close to that."

Safety Vernon Fox gave the Broncos an early lead when he returned a fumble 23 yards for a touchdown on a controversial play midway through the opening period.

Wide receiver Brad Smith took a direct snap and tried to hand off to Jerricho Cotchery, but the ball squirted away. Cotchery jumped on top of it and was immediately hit, with the ball coming loose again. Fox picked it up and returned it for a touchdown.

Mangini wanted to challenge the call, but the officials ruled Cotchery had never gained possession so it was still a fumble, and not a reviewable play.

"I felt like Jerricho had possession," Mangini said. "They felt he didn't."

Jones got the Jets right back in it with a 59-yard touchdown run on the opening play of New York's next possession. But Denver came right back four plays later when Royal, showing no signs of the toe injury that limited him in practice, scored on a 59-yard touchdown pass with 6:44 left.

Jones scored his second touchdown early in the second quarter on an athletic, heads-up play to put the Jets within three at 17-14. He took the handoff and went down, but his body rolled over the Broncos' Kenny Peterson without touching the ground. Jones bounced up and zipped into the end zone for a 29-yard touchdown.

"I was like, 'If I run and score, it'll be up for debate and I'd much rather do that than just lay there,"' Jones said.

The Jets would get no closer, though, as Hillis added a 1-yard touchdown run late in the first half and Stokley sealed it with a 36-yard scoring catch midway through the fourth quarter.

"We got outplayed," Favre said. "We had plenty of opportunities. It wasn't like we played our best football and we just lost. I thought Denver played outstanding."

Buff
12-01-2008, 11:56 PM
Just watched the Mangini press conference... http://www.newyorkjets.com/

I was impressed with how much substantive football information Mangini gave... I was also impressed with how the NY media actually pressed him for details and had follow up questions. Kind of a different atmosphere than the Shanny pressers.

Shazam!
12-02-2008, 12:11 AM
In NY the press is merciless. Eli Manning was the worst QB in the League at this time last year, now he's walking on water. Even Giants fans hated the guy.