PDA

View Full Version : Middle linebacker Joe Mays represents a Josh McDaniels trade that paid off for the Denver Broncos

TXBRONC
08-31-2011, 08:58 AM
Middle linebacker Joe Mays represents a Josh McDaniels trade that paid off for the Denver Broncos
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
Posted: 08/31/2011 01:00:00 AM

Here are seven letters representing a trade from the Josh McDaniels era that worked in the Broncos' favor: Joe Mays.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18793058

I think the jury is still out on whether or not Mays represents a McDaniels trade that has paid off for the Broncos. I have nothing against Mays I just don't think that trading for him has already at this point. Like Tebow he hasn't played enough for me to say I agree.

Lancane
08-31-2011, 09:36 AM
I think the jury is still out on whether or not Mays represents a McDaniels trade that has paid off for the Broncos. I have nothing against Mays I just don't think that trading for him has already at this point. Like Tebow he hasn't played enough for me to say I agree.

It's a down time and the columnists can not just continue to write about Tebow, people are tired of it, in many different ways. So why not write a piece that shines a temporary light on something that McNumbnuts might have done right? Even though we really are not sure if it was good or bad, as you said TX, the jury is still out.

They'll do the same if Orton has decent numbers, they will start writing that Orton was the best acquisition by McDaniels during his time, bad mouth Cutler and blah, blah, blah. That is until he stutters and his numbers start to waiver, then they'll jump off the bandwagon. Listening to the local journalists is like trying to jack-off with scissors, not only is it counterproductive, it's going to hurt and there is a chance you'll be regarded as dumber for it!

:lol:

BroncoNut
08-31-2011, 09:42 AM
I think so too TX. He's in on alot of plays. Solid

Jsteve01
08-31-2011, 09:45 AM

We traded a player who's no longer in the league for him so even if he ends up only being a depth player, then it's a plus but yeah I agree it's a hype job at this point.

I'll say this though. I still remember his 10 tackle performance against the Broncos in preseason his rookie year. And I lived in Philly during his time with the Eagles. He's always shown a nose for the ball and a nasty disposition, but he's been a huge liability in the passing game. If he can even become marginal in coverage then I think he ends up being a solid player for us.

PAINTERDAVE
08-31-2011, 09:53 AM
He seems to be bringing it hard and heavy...
he has a lot of drive...
the potential is there for him to be a heckuva contributor.

He seems very durable..
I just have a feeling he wont be a
pansy who is always on the DL...

Mays is one of the reasons I am excited about
the defense again...
along with
VonDoom
Rahim
Champ

I think the defense may be the most exciting part of the team...
what a change that will be.

BroncoStud
08-31-2011, 09:56 AM
Josh who?

Lancane
08-31-2011, 10:01 AM
Josh who?

You know, the dumbass who traded Pro-Bowl quarterback and replaced him with Orton; traded a future Pro-Bowl running back (for personal reasons) in return for a backup quarterback; and likewise traded a Pro-Bowl wide receiver then tried to replace him in the draft with a kid that's barely seen the field since being drafted.

Dzone
08-31-2011, 10:05 AM
JJ Arrington is playing for the Las Vegas Locomotives

TXBRONC
08-31-2011, 10:33 AM
He seems to be bringing it hard and heavy...
he has a lot of drive...
the potential is there for him to be a heckuva contributor.

He seems very durable..
I just have a feeling he wont be a
pansy who is always on the DL...

Mays is one of the reasons I am excited about
the defense again...
along with
VonDoom
Rahim
Champ

I think the defense may be the most exciting part of the team...
what a change that will be.

I didn't criticism of Mays I just think Legwold is a little premature in saying that McDaniels' acquisition of Mays has already paid off.

Jsteve01
08-31-2011, 11:01 AM
You know, the dumbass who traded Pro-Bowl quarterback and replaced him with Orton; traded a future Pro-Bowl running back (for personal reasons) in return for a backup quarterback; and likewise traded a Pro-Bowl wide receiver then tried to replace him in the draft with a kid that's barely seen the field since being drafted.

can someone please explain what the personal reasons were?

NightTerror218
08-31-2011, 11:34 AM

I heard, keyword heard Hillis hit on McD's wife. Who knows if that is true. Just came down the grape vine.

SpringsBroncoFan
08-31-2011, 12:48 PM
Will it still be considered a "win" when Irving takes his job away???

Jsteve01
08-31-2011, 01:50 PM
Will it still be considered a "win" when Irving takes his job away???

Word out of camp is that it hasn't even been close. I for one hope Mays owns the job and Irving slides in at WILL down the line.

Dzone
08-31-2011, 01:55 PM
I tried to watch Joe Mays during the last game. Thought he played really good against the run.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-31-2011, 02:16 PM
Joe Mays carries a very big stick. :laugh:

Lancane
08-31-2011, 03:06 PM

Supposedly Hillis hit on Mrs. McDaniels and if that was not funny enough, the other supposed reason is because Hillis was a fan favorite and rumor is that McDaniels got sick of the fans clamoring for him to get playing time.

Lancane
08-31-2011, 03:08 PM
Word out of camp is that it hasn't even been close. I for one hope Mays owns the job and Irving slides in at WILL down the line.

You hope Irving is the eventual replacement for Williams? Not sure I know a lot about Irving but has he ever played at the Sam or Will position or only at the Mike?

Jsteve01
08-31-2011, 03:13 PM
You hope Irving is the eventual replacement for Williams? Not sure I know a lot about Irving but has he ever played at the Sam or Will position or only at the Mike?

Im not saying SAM by any means but Irving is a very good athlete and the lack of responsibility at WILL and ability to freelance a little would seem to fit his skill set and no Im not one of those guys that thinks you just plug guys in wherever and see how they fit lol

Lancane
08-31-2011, 03:17 PM
Im not saying SAM by any means but Irving is a very good athlete and the lack of responsibility at WILL and ability to freelance a little would seem to fit his skill set and no Im not one of those guys that thinks you just plug guys in wherever and see how they fit lol

Oh, I was just wondering...sometimes board members see more games from certain schools because where they live or whatnot, didn't know if you saw a lot of Irving in college or knew more about him and if you did, if you knew if he played either Sam or Will before.

Jsteve01
08-31-2011, 03:19 PM
Oh, I was just wondering...sometimes board members see more games from certain schools because where they live or whatnot, didn't know if you saw a lot of Irving in college or knew more about him.

I know he spends a lot of time in opponents backfields and he moves well in space. I would think natural Mike's because of their responsibilities would transition better to other positions, if they have the athletic ability.

Lancane
08-31-2011, 03:29 PM
I know he spends a lot of time in opponents backfields and he moves well in space. I would think natural Mike's because of their responsibilities would transition better to other positions, if they have the athletic ability.

It's possible, but then of course the one question is their quickness at the other position. Remember Mike linebackers usually have less area to cover whereas the outside positions, both Sam and Will have more, plus both the outside spots demand better pass coverage ability. He's got the physical build to play at Will, the fact that he can get into the backfield and be disruptive is a plus, but how is he from sideline to sideline and in pass coverage? If he is above average in those two areas he may well be a good fit at the spot.

CoachChaz
08-31-2011, 03:35 PM
Irving lined up at Mike and was called a Mike, but in reality, he was used all over the place. I think he could be solid at any of the 3 spots if hes allowed to develop in one of them

SOCALORADO.
08-31-2011, 03:40 PM
Irving lined up at Mike and was called a Mike, but in reality, he was used all over the place. I think he could be solid at any of the 3 spots if hes allowed to develop in one of them

I agree. And the fact that Fox routinely makes his LBs really good, is encouraging in regards to Irving.
I have no doubt that FOX has watched alot of Irving in college sice he was in his backyard.

Lancane
08-31-2011, 03:45 PM

So he's pretty much played at all three spots, which means he wouldn't lose a step being plugged in at either three, unless he had a hard time with the terminology more then likely. I don't see Denver getting rid of Williams anytime soon though, after this season he'll be going into his ninth season, at this point he'll likely play out the remainder of his contract in Denver, even possibly retire a Bronco. Who takes over for Miller most of the time when he slides up onto the line? I like the depth that he gives us at the linebacker positions and I am also pretty high on Mohamed as well - actually next to safety, linebacker may be where we have the best depth at this time.

Ravage!!!
08-31-2011, 04:03 PM
Supposedly Hillis hit on Mrs. McDaniels and if that was not funny enough, the other supposed reason is because Hillis was a fan favorite and rumor is that McDaniels got sick of the fans clamoring for him to get playing time.

I believe the second LONG before I believe teh first. I think the "hitting on his wife" is just a classic "why does he hate him so much" remark. But I can see McDaniels wanting to be Top Dog. Hillis wasn't his player, and he didn't think he should get so much fan love.

Ravage!!!
08-31-2011, 04:05 PM
However, I liked Mays last year, and felt he was just "built" to be our MLB. Solid as a rock.. built for destruction and collision. Had the face of attitude. I like that in a MLB.

NightTerror218
08-31-2011, 04:07 PM
I believe the second LONG before I believe teh first. I think the "hitting on his wife" is just a classic "why does he hate him so much" remark. But I can see McDaniels wanting to be Top Dog. Hillis wasn't his player, and he didn't think he should get so much fan love.

I heard the 1st before the 2nd

SOCALORADO.
08-31-2011, 04:08 PM
However, I liked Mays last year, and felt he was just "built" to be our MLB. Solid as a rock.. built for destruction and collision. Had the face of attitude. I like that in a MLB.

His play recognition needs to be much better.
I like everything else. And i think he would be starting in PHIL if he was still there.

pnbronco
08-31-2011, 04:14 PM
Love Joe, he's a great guy, hope he stays healthy and can tear it up out there.

Peyton was a total gentleman in Denver and the McDaniels had their 3rd child last fall, I really think the "rumor" was a bad joke.....

Jsteve01
08-31-2011, 04:59 PM
His play recognition needs to be much better.
I like everything else. And i think he would be starting in PHIL if he was still there.

Over Matthews? Perhaps but Casey is great in the recognition department.

Lancane
08-31-2011, 05:01 PM
Love Joe, he's a great guy, hope he stays healthy and can tear it up out there.

Peyton was a total gentleman in Denver and the McDaniels had their 3rd child last fall, I really think the "rumor" was a bad joke.....

Is it really hard to believe that Hillis simply didn't know who she was and said something that sounded as if he was hitting on her? Hell, he might have only said "hello" and someone could have taken it as that he hit on her - the rumor wasn't that he tapped that ass! :lol:

Problem is that it was mentioned on a couple radio programs, so as to the validity of it, is well just that of a rumor.

Jsteve01
08-31-2011, 05:05 PM

glad to see chaz again..always good insight

Ravage!!!
08-31-2011, 05:14 PM
Is it really hard to believe that Hillis simply didn't know who she was and said something that sounded as if he was hitting on her? Hell, he might have only said "hello" and someone could have taken it as that he hit on her - the rumor wasn't that he tapped that ass! :lol:

Problem is that it was mentioned on a couple radio programs, so as to the validity of it, is well just that of a rumor.

Probably none of the above. Anytime you dislike a player on these boards, people will make the comment "man, what did he do, screw your girl or something??" I think thats where the rumor started. Someone made a stupid comment about the reasons as to why McD refused to play Hillis. Nothing more than an off-the-wall joke that lit up like wildfire.

Besides. Hillis can pretty much get whatever girl he wants, I doubt he would hit on McD's wife.

NightTerror218
08-31-2011, 05:24 PM
Probably none of the above. Anytime you dislike a player on these boards, people will make the comment "man, what did he do, screw your girl or something??" I think thats where the rumor started. Someone made a stupid comment about the reasons as to why McD refused to play Hillis. Nothing more than an off-the-wall joke that lit up like wildfire.

Besides. Hillis can pretty much get whatever girl he wants, I doubt he would hit on McD's wife.

I heard the rumor before I ever came to any boards. I just followed media, ESPN, denverpost, bleachers, NFL.com ect.

So it was not on the "boards" that it started.

Ravage!!!
08-31-2011, 05:34 PM
I heard the rumor before I ever came to any boards. I just followed media, ESPN, denverpost, bleachers, NFL.com ect.

So it was not on the "boards" that it started.

No. I didn't say it was the boards that started it. But its the same t hing you hear on the boards. Someone out there spread the rumor, but has the same "origin" as I mentioned. Meaning, its just made up shit used as a joke. Then it was blown out of proportion.

CoachChaz
08-31-2011, 05:37 PM

I agree. And the fact that Fox routinely makes his LBs really good, is encouraging in regards to Irving.
I have no doubt that FOX has watched alot of Irving in college sice he was in his backyard.

Which should give us all the insight needed in regards to Marvin Austin

Jsteve01
08-31-2011, 05:40 PM
Austin is out with an ACL. And the physical talent is unbelievable but 4-12 teams can't take fliers on injury concerns (Paea) or character concerns (Austin)

Timmy!
08-31-2011, 05:50 PM
1 out of what, like 10? brilliant work mcd......

Mays does look improved, but he still takes bad angles and sucks laterally. I do love the way he hits though

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Elevation inc
08-31-2011, 07:24 PM
who cares about josh now.....i dont...mays is a beast and has been in full beast mode all pre-season whats even better is he has been near flawless in coverage, future MLB in star in the making guys gonna be big impact this year for sure

TXBRONC
08-31-2011, 07:52 PM
who cares about josh now.....i dont...mays is a beast and has been in full beast mode all pre-season whats even better is he has been near flawless in coverage, future MLB in star in the making guys gonna be big impact this year for sure

Legwold made it apart of the article. His argument is that McDaniels bringing in Mays is already paying off. I think it's premature to make that boast. Legwold may be right but lets see what he accomplishes this season.

Elevation inc
08-31-2011, 08:03 PM
Legwold made it apart of the article. His argument is that McDaniels bringing in Mays is already paying off. I think it's premature to make that boast. Legwold may be right but lets see what he accomplishes this season.

i dont like any of the DP writers at all......but technically bringing in mays and getting rid of arrington is paying off.....Mays is playing stud ball right now hope it continues to the reg season....

TXBRONC
08-31-2011, 08:14 PM
i dont like any of the DP writers at all......but technically bringing in mays and getting rid of arrington is paying off.....Mays is playing stud ball right now hope it continues to the reg season....

It is still preseason but if he can continue to play well in the regular season I'll be happy to say McDaniels trade for Mays is paying dividends.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-09-2011, 08:44 AM
It paid off last year when Mays gave KC's TE a decleater on an onside kick attempt.

Mr-ELKhmWj8

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-09-2011, 08:49 AM
....and again. :defense:

4gD0Ofib-Fo

TXBRONC
09-09-2011, 10:28 AM
It paid off last year when Mays gave KC's TE a decleater on an onside kick attempt.

Mr-ELKhmWj8

....and again. :defense:

4gD0Ofib-Fo

If he's productive for an entire season then I have problem saying it's a trade that paid off. Those are some nice hits but to me it's not enough say the trade paid dividends.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
09-09-2011, 10:40 AM
If he's productive for an entire season then I have problem saying it's a trade that paid off. Those are some nice hits but to me it's not enough say the trade paid dividends.

I would say since JJ Arrington never had another carry in the NFL, just one tackle from Joe made it pay off. :salute:

TXBRONC
09-09-2011, 11:10 AM
I would say since JJ Arrington never had another carry in the NFL, just one tackle from Joe made it pay off. :salute:

Arrington was washed up anyway.

LTC Pain
09-09-2011, 12:19 PM
Joe needs to get 15+ tackles versus the Raiders! And about a third of those need to hurt the Oakland terd he's tackling!

NightTerror218
09-09-2011, 12:47 PM
Joe needs to get 15+ tackles versus the Raiders! And about a third of those need to hurt the Oakland terd he's tackling!

He just need to lay out a couple........enter in a little fear about going up the middle.

I Eat Staples
09-09-2011, 04:03 PM
I forget, what did we give up for Mays, Arrington? If so, then yeah it was a good trade simply because Arrington is worthless, but Mays hasn't proven much at all yet. I still view him as rotational depth on even a decent defense.

underrated29
09-09-2011, 04:08 PM
I forget, what did we give up for Mays, Arrington? If so, then yeah it was a good trade simply because Arrington is worthless, but Mays hasn't proven much at all yet. I still view him as rotational depth on even a decent defense.

I believe we gave up a 6th this year for him.- conditional on the fact that arrington did not make their roster, which he did not.

I Eat Staples
09-10-2011, 01:20 PM
I believe we gave up a 6th this year for him.- conditional on the fact that arrington did not make their roster, which he did not.

Oh, well I have to imagine Mays will contribute more than most 6th round picks, so it seems like a good trade.

gobroncsnv
09-11-2011, 11:38 PM
We've needed some beef at lb since al wilson tried knocking people over instead of tackling them. Such a bummer his shoulder got hosed up, really like his game before that... But we've yet to see whether mays is all that, since we're finally working on putting a d front together. Many have said this squad might be kinda fun to watch, and i'm with 'em. Been far too long that we've had to dread when our d was on the field. Is this the year that changes??? Ready!!!

BUT MAYS IS NOT "THE FIX", BUT WILL CONTRIBUTE TO BEING IN ON THE SOLUTION.

BroncosJunkie
09-12-2011, 07:26 AM
A funny article about McDaniels and yesterday's game.

NSFW language, but funny...

LRC and the Rams destroyed by on-field snuff film (http://www.uglyfours.com/ugly-fours/2011/9/12/lrc-and-the-rams-destroyed-by-on-field-snuff-film.html)

TXBRONC
09-12-2011, 08:21 AM
We've needed some beef at lb since al wilson tried knocking people over instead of tackling them. Such a bummer his shoulder got hosed up, really like his game before that... But we've yet to see whether mays is all that, since we're finally working on putting a d front together. Many have said this squad might be kinda fun to watch, and i'm with 'em. Been far too long that we've had to dread when our d was on the field. Is this the year that changes??? Ready!!!

BUT MAYS IS NOT "THE FIX", BUT WILL CONTRIBUTE TO BEING IN ON THE SOLUTION.

Yeah I don't if Mays is ultimately a part of the long term solution but I think he'll be solid.

gobroncsnv
09-13-2011, 01:10 AM
Agree Tex, this team is more a project than I'd like it to be... but granted, the D looked better tonight, but
CMON MAN!!!! Stop the RUN, ALREADY!!!! And averaging better than 30 yds/game (ok, what did we end up with, anyway???) would be a SIGNIFICANT help to this team. Deny the guys wearing the other colors the ball! Get some push on the oline so we can make the whole red zone require defending, and spread em out some... Look, they're trying a 3 yard pass for the TD again, what a shock..a.. Well, since they can't run it yet, gotta try something, I 'spose...

BroncoNut
09-22-2011, 02:13 PM

for a minute there I thought you were talking about Arrington who plays for the Eagles and was traded from the Skins. He's a linebacker, I think

NightTerror218
09-22-2011, 02:40 PM
He looked much better in game 2 then 1. Game one he looked a little lost and missed tackles. He could add some nice depth to LB in future. I hope Irving starts to get better and challenge mays for that spot.

TXBRONC
09-23-2011, 08:18 AM
He looked much better in game 2 then 1. Game one he looked a little lost and missed tackles. He could add some nice depth to LB in future. I hope Irving starts to get better and challenge mays for that spot.

Fox thinks that eventually Irving will challenge for the mike position. It doesn't look like it will happen this season but hopefully next year he'll be able to challenge.

NightTerror218
09-23-2011, 12:27 PM
Fox thinks that eventually Irving will challenge for the mike position. It doesn't look like it will happen this season but hopefully next year he'll be able to challenge.

IF Mays plays like game 1 it wont take long. Mays has a great intensity he brings to the team. He hads some big hits and could add in a fear to our defense along with Dawkins. But if Mays misses talks like he did in game 1 when trying to get the big hit, or takes more bad angles it could cost him with a rookie on his heels for the starting job. But no matter what he will be on the team as a starter or good depth at mike.

based on how Fox was in Carolina he likes have a dependable solid set of LBs. He like them to control game, the steelers do that right now, but they also have guys that can control the trenches, have have great DBs. But their strength is in the LB position. All of them feared for big hits.