PDA

View Full Version : Charger fans come clean regarding Superstar Rivers

Northman
12-01-2008, 06:24 PM
:lol:

This is beautiful.

I never thought I'd get to this point...I've backed AJ Smith from day 1 and I felt like keeping Rivers was the right move at the time the change was made...but I'm starting to realize that letting Brees walk was the biggest mistake this franchise has made in recent years. I feel strongly now that we would have won at least one superbowl in 2006 with Brees at QB. Brees was a consumate team player and never would have been lobbying the head coach to re-design an offense that was working beautifully just to help inflate his stats and his ego. Brees never had a problem taking a back seat to LT as the superstar on this team. Rivers isn't a bad QB, but he is no superstar, and I don't think he is respected by anyone on the team as a true leader the way Brees and LT have been. IMO his lofty passer rating is largely due to the following:

1. Defenses continue to scheme against LT and the running game first and foremost in spite of the fact that our Oline can't push a group of cheerleaders out of the way, much less defensive linemen.

2. Norv has completely restructured this offense to run the offense through Rivers and the passing game and have cut the balls of this team in the process. We have taken away the bread and butter designed running plays that work and have replaced them with some throw in running plays to keep teams off balance when we aren't passing....these don't work with a poor blocking OLine unit that isn't committed to giving everything to block in the running game and establish a rhythm. We don't control the clock. We don't show any physicality. It's all finesse...and it's garbage largely designed to puff up Rivers' stat line.

3. Rivers has some of the best weapons of any NFL QB at his disposal in the passing game...It's hard NOT to succeed in this offense for any QB with above average talent. He has almost zero mobility and doesn't buy a lot of time for himself in the pocket. If the designed play isn't working, it's dead before it began....We should never be relying on this QB to put the game on his shoulders week in and week out.

Watching the game today, it was amazing to see how emotionally immature Rivers still is. When things are going bad, he completely implodes on the field and on the sidelines. People want to sit and analyze LT...but Rivers is the guy that EVERYONE on the team is staying away from on the bench. Matt Ryan looked like the veteran and Rivers the rookie today. Rivers has had so many gaffes this season in key situations that have cost games that he has to be among the most un-clutch QB's in the NFL.

Furthermore, the Falcons are running their offense the way the Chargers used to....to great success...They got rid of their soft OLinemen in favor of tough road graders (note that we were quick to pick up one of their castoffs who was deemed to be too soft in the running game but a nice pass blocker)....and the Falcons pound the ball continuously....even when for most of the game Turner was averaging under 4 ypc....but they continue to hammer and mix in the passing game strategically. This is what the Chargers would do in 2006 when the heavy lifting was done with the running game and the NFL's MVP. The 2008 Norv / Rivers version is a JOKE and our offense has been turned into a soft pussified unit.

I will always love the Chargers as long as they are in SD...but it is getting awfully hard to watch them under Norv..putting the fate of our offense on Rivers and his shot put arm. Another season of this will be almost unbearable.

FIRE NORV. Period.

http://bolttalk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16620

Hobe
12-01-2008, 06:43 PM
Ol' AJ is pulling an AL on the Dolts, going for total control. As he sheds players and coaches that he did not bring in, the team begins to languish and underachieve. The parallels between what AJ is doing to LT and what AL did to Allen are just too close to ignore.

Keep up the good AJ! Maybe someday you'll be just as good as AL.

:rofl:

MileHighWrath
12-02-2008, 09:42 AM
:elefant:

BroncoJoe
12-02-2008, 09:51 AM
Kind of sounds like Rivers has already come to grips with not making the playoffs:

SAN DIEGO (AP) _ The Oakland Raiders are coming to town, which is one of the only things that can put any kind of spark in the San Diego Chargers' otherwise lost season.

The Chargers (4-8) were all but eliminated from playoff contention on Sunday, when they lost 22-16 at home to the Atlanta Falcons while the Denver Broncos (7-5) were winning their third straight road game, 34-17 against the New York Jets.

That gave the Broncos a three-game lead in the AFC West, with four games to play. The Broncos beat the Chargers 39-38 at Denver in the second game of the season. The teams meet again in the season-finale in San Diego on Dec. 28.

Mathematically, the Chargers are still alive. Realistically, though, it's all but over for a team that many projected to make it to the Super Bowl.

"We've got to win them all and they've got to lose three of four," Rivers said. "Can it happen? Sure, but we haven't shown the ability to be able to win four in a row. That's why we've got to just go win one, then go try to win the next one and just see what happens. That's why we've just got to go play and worry about the Chargers and try to get better. We're obviously not doing things very well."

If the Chargers and Broncos were to finish tied at 8-8, San Diego would be AFC West champ based on a better division record.

Of course, it'll officially be over with one more Broncos win and another Chargers loss.

Up next is a home game Thursday night against the Raiders, who have lost 10 straight to the Chargers but won at Denver on Nov. 23.

The Raiders, only a game behind San Diego, blew a 15-0 halftime lead at Oakland on Sept. 28 before the Chargers rallied to win 28-18.

"They don't call the season off when you're going bad or when the odds are stacked against you that you won't be playing in January," Rivers said. "So we've got to go play a game. If you've got any pride or anything about you, you'll prepare and go play. Again, we're playing a division game, an NFL game at home. If you can't do that, we don't have the guys we've always said we've had and I think we do."

Rivers, a star at North Carolina State before he joined the Chargers on draft day 2004 in a trade with the New York Giants, said he can't recall having a losing season.

"I know not in college, not in high school. JV I played, we never had a losing record, I don't think."

Rivers said it's tough mentally to be 4-8.

"We're in a bind. We're not playing very good, which I'm stating all the obvious facts. I think it is a positive we play on Thursday. We don't have long to sulk over the loss yesterday. we've got to get ready and go play a game Thursday night."

girler
12-02-2008, 10:32 AM
:laugh:

NightTrainLayne
12-02-2008, 10:37 AM
While reading the first couple of sentences I was thinking the post was just some sour grapes from a dissappointed fan. .. however, the writer makes some really good points, and backs them up. Good find.

MileHighWrath
12-02-2008, 10:43 AM
So the sissy chargers are all hanging their heads after an embarrassing performance at home being booed in the former and soon to return to "Mile High West" and now have just a few days to prepare for the raiders who would love nothing more than to share second place (this is so freakin laughable) at 4-9.

Can they regroup in time? Will the chargers of last season show up or will it be the POS team that can't close games this year? Will the raiders hang another upset on a division rival? The suspense is killing me ... NOT! But I will enjoy watching the game with my usual Thurs. night drinking buddys, one of whom is a raiders fan, and who knows, I may indeed find myself cheering, tongue in cheek of course, for the silver and bleh if for no better reason than to see if maybe this time they will show rivers actually crying.

BoltsOwnU
12-21-2008, 08:30 PM
So the sissy chargers are all hanging their heads after an embarrassing performance at home being booed in the former and soon to return to "Mile High West" and now have just a few days to prepare for the raiders who would love nothing more than to share second place (this is so freakin laughable) at 4-9.

Can they regroup in time? Will the chargers of last season show up or will it be the POS team that can't close games this year? Will the raiders hang another upset on a division rival? The suspense is killing me ... NOT! But I will enjoy watching the game with my usual Thurs. night drinking buddys, one of whom is a raiders fan, and who knows, I may indeed find myself cheering, tongue in cheek of course, for the silver and bleh if for no better reason than to see if maybe this time they will show rivers actually crying.

I like reading this today. I really really do. But I'm unclear, which POS team were you referring to?:confused:

pumpdoc
12-21-2008, 09:19 PM

How does that foot taste???

GEM
12-22-2008, 12:16 PM
I like reading this today. I really really do. But I'm unclear, which POS team were you referring to?:confused:

How does that foot taste???

Your posts would have been better received previous to yesterday.

It's easy to come in here thumping chests now...where you been when your team was 3 games down? Weak sauce guys.

BoltsOwnU
12-22-2008, 12:55 PM
Your posts would have been better received previous to yesterday.

It's easy to come in here thumping chests now...where you been when your team was 3 games down? Weak sauce guys.

Actually, not really. We had to wait for you guys to gack three straight, soon to be four, before we could highlight the foolishness of some posters here and also see vindication for our own predictions/statements.

Weak sauce is not understanding the difference between, "you were wrong" or perhaps "we were right" versus "see how great we are". If I'd opened my big yap and predicted your team's slide into the abyss (oh, wait, I did) and had been wrong, (I wasn't), I'd expect to get called on it when it became the case too.

bengaaaaals1688
12-22-2008, 02:03 PM
Actually, not really. We had to wait for you guys to gack three straight, soon to be four, before we could highlight the foolishness of some posters here and also see vindication for our own predictions/statements.

Weak sauce is not understanding the difference between, "you were wrong" or perhaps "we were right" versus "see how great we are". If I'd opened my big yap and predicted your team's slide into the abyss (oh, wait, I did) and had been wrong, (I wasn't), I'd expect to get called on it when it became the case too.

No, you are wrong. If you are going to smack a team, whether you're gonna big up your team at the same time or not, then you stay around and continue to do it throughout the season, whether your team is playing well or not. You don't disappear and then when your team wins, or has a chance at doing something, come back. Stick around, take your heat when your team is in the dumpster, and then you have legit ammo when your team comes back up and the other team drops down.

Northman
12-22-2008, 02:14 PM

Nah, you missed the bigger picture of what she was getting at. You come in and talk smack because you've been here a while and come win, lose,or draw. Some of these clowns just came out of the woodwork when things started shining brightly on their asses. You, Sal, and Northern are easily given the freedom to come back and give us crap. These other guys dont get that pass.

frauschieze
12-22-2008, 02:30 PM

Ahem. Two. We did manage to beat KC. :coffee:

BoltsOwnU
12-22-2008, 03:05 PM
No, you are wrong. If you are going to smack a team, whether you're gonna big up your team at the same time or not, then you stay around and continue to do it throughout the season, whether your team is playing well or not. You don't disappear and then when your team wins, or has a chance at doing something, come back. Stick around, take your heat when your team is in the dumpster, and then you have legit ammo when your team comes back up and the other team drops down.

I actually have been around. However, when PR has a probowl season I think I'm entitled to call people out who thought otherwise once the proof is demonstrated. Ditto for a Denver slide. These are specifics that get borne out, that's all.

bengaaaaals1688
12-22-2008, 03:45 PM
I actually have been around. However, when PR has a probowl season I think I'm entitled to call people out who thought otherwise once the proof is demonstrated. Ditto for a Denver slide. These are specifics that get borne out, that's all.

That wasn't directed solely at you, but at the other fans that popped up in the past couple days.