PDA

View Full Version : Klis' Mailbag

TXBRONC
08-30-2011, 08:59 AM
Klis' Mailbag
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 08/30/2011 01:00:00 AM MDT

Q: I like the attitude coach John Fox has instilled in the team. The attack mode of the defense is encouraging. If we can keep the injuries to a minimum, I really think we will be on our way back to being a successful team in the NFL. What are your thoughts, Mike?
---Mr. C, Arvada

A: The Broncos have been impressive in the preseason. But all we really know for sure is what we've seen, Mr. C., and based on what we've seen in the preseason, the Broncos' biggest improvement this season may be at head coach.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncosmailbag/ci_18782117

That pretty much says it all. Btw the quote is actually a compilation of the beginning and the end of Klis' answer to Mr. C.

Lancane
08-30-2011, 09:06 AM
I have to disagree with Klis, I think the biggest improvement was that they hired John Elway as the Vice President of Football Operations, that is essentially what led to the hiring of John Fox by way of recommendation from Jim Fassel, Elway's long-time friend and mentor. Could you imagine if Joe Ellis and Brian Xanders picked another head coach after the last one?

:D

BigDaddyBronco
08-30-2011, 09:07 AM
There is a question from Spider in New Mexico, wasn't he on the old Freak?

Northman
08-30-2011, 09:07 AM
There is a question from Spider in New Mexico, wasn't he on the old Freak?

No idea, i know there is a guy named Spider on the Mane.

BigDaddyBronco
08-30-2011, 09:10 AM
That pretty much says it all. Btw the quote is actually a compilation of the beginning and the end of Klis' answer to Mr. C.

I still think a HC is only worth +/- 2 games. So last year, with a good HC, they were still only a 6-10 team. Talent trumps coaching in my opinion. There are exceptions to the rule, but they are few and far between.

Northman
08-30-2011, 09:10 AM
What makes the quarterback situation complicated is Tebow. He remains the Broncos' quarterback of the future, with three years left on his contract while Orton and Quinn are free agents after this season. And if the Broncos are, say, 4-7 going into December, it would make sense for Tebow to finish out the season.

Dun dun dun........

BigDaddyBronco
08-30-2011, 09:12 AM
No idea, i know there is a guy named Spider on the Mane.
Not the same guy who was banned here, the truck driver. That Spider was from Wyoming I think.

Maybe the guy I'm thinking of isn't a Spider.

Mike
08-30-2011, 09:24 AM
I still think a HC is only worth +/- 2 games. So last year, with a good HC, they were still only a 6-10 team. Talent trumps coaching in my opinion. There are exceptions to the rule, but they are few and far between.

Usually I would agree, but I believe McD cost us more than 2 games last year with his dumbassery play calling alone.

Npba900
08-30-2011, 09:28 AM
I have to disagree with Klis, I think the biggest improvement was that they hired John Elway as the Vice President of Football Operations, that is essentially what led to the hiring of John Fox by way of recommendation from Jim Fassel, Elway's long-time friend and mentor. Could you imagine if Joe Ellis and Brian Xanders picked another head coach after the last one?

:D

I agree. After firing Shanny in 08, the Broncos badly needed a proven veteran HC vs a 32 year old prima donna over rated OC.

Let's hope by 2013 EFX has the Broncos back to her winning ways.:beer:

BigDaddyBronco
08-30-2011, 09:28 AM
Usually I would agree, but I believe McD cost us more than 2 games last year with his dumbassery play calling alone.

I don't know if it was bad playcalling or the players being unable to make the plays. There were a lot of games we were in where Orton shit in his hand in the 4th quarter. McD didn't help with all the bubble screens and ignoring the running game (but one could argue that the young and hurting OLine and hurt or ineffective RB's were the reason the running game sucked).

Npba900
08-30-2011, 09:29 AM

McD knocked this Franchise back 2-3 years. Lets hope EFX can turn the ship around in 2 years.

Npba900
08-30-2011, 09:39 AM
Dun dun dun........
Quote:
What makes the quarterback situation complicated is Tebow. He remains the Broncos' quarterback of the future, with three years left on his contract while Orton and Quinn are free agents after this season. And if the Broncos are, say, 4-7 going into December, it would make sense for Tebow to finish out the season.

You still can't rule out EFX drafting a QB with their first pick in 2012, thus not just giving Tebow the starting job. Tebow would still need to beat out the No.1 drafted QB or perhaps even Quinn in 2012. The scenario could also play out that should the Broncos go 4-7, who's to say that Quinn wouldn't get to start for the remainder of the season.

The reality is, in 2011 the only way Tebow starts is due to season ending injuries to both Quinn and Orton.

TXBRONC
08-30-2011, 09:40 AM
Dun dun dun........

Klis also presented the scenario that if we do very that Orton could be offered an extension. I think that's true to a degree. If Denver made the playoffs but ended up getting their head bashed I don't think they would bother to keep him around. That said, I don't think any of our current quarterbacks are on the firmest of ground. EFX went out and gave a serious look to several of the quarterbacks in this year's draft and this was pretty weak class to consider taking one. Elway in his own words said "We had to see if that franchise guy was there. He also Sandy Clough in the same press conference you can count on us doing this again next year."

I still think it's worse news for Orton than it is for Tebow. We've heard Elway and Fox are not invested in Tebow because they didn't draft him. But Bowlen's money is. If I understand things correctly most of Tebow's contract is guaranteed.

Northman
08-30-2011, 09:45 AM
Quote:

You still can't rule out EFX drafting a QB with their first pick in 2012, thus not just giving Tebow the starting job. Tebow would still need to beat out the No.1 drafted QB or perhaps even Quinn in 2012. The scenario could also play out that should the Broncos go 4-7, who's to say that Quinn wouldn't get to start for the remainder of the season.

The reality is, in 2011 the only way Tebow starts is due to season ending injuries to both Quinn and Orton.

Ive seen a lot of crazy things from this franchise so drafting a QB next year wouldnt be shocking, but it would still be moronic without knowing what Tebow has first. But yes, its possible they will draft one.

TXBRONC
08-30-2011, 09:51 AM
Quote:

I agree you can't rule out EFX drafting quarterback in next year's draft. Elway basically guaranteed that at the end of the draft press conference that they would be looking at next year's quarterback class.

Buff
08-30-2011, 09:53 AM
I thought it was interesting that he sees our 3rd RB and backup offensive tackle as bigger needs than defensive tackle on the waiver wire. Or, he thinks its more likely that we fill those positions via a WW acquisition than DT.

TXBRONC
08-30-2011, 09:55 AM
I thought it was interesting that he sees our 3rd RB and backup offensive tackle as bigger needs than defensive tackle on the waiver wire. Or, he thinks its more likely that we fill those positions via a WW acquisition than DT.

I think that's what it is. It will probably be easier to find a running back and a back up offensive tackle than it will be to find another defensive tackle.

SOCALORADO.
08-30-2011, 10:16 AM
I agree you can't rule out EFX drafting quarterback in next year's draft. Elway basically guaranteed that at the end of the draft press conference that they would be looking at next year's quarterback class.

And its obvious why.
http://i.usatoday.net/sports/_photos/2011/08/04/Andrew-Luck-is-thrilled-to-be-back-at-Stanford-0893GKQ-x-large.jpg

PAINTERDAVE
08-30-2011, 10:17 AM
Klis also presented the scenario that if we do very that Orton could be offered an extension. I think that's true to a degree. If Denver made the playoffs but ended up getting their head bashed I don't think they would bother to keep him around. That said, I don't think any of our current quarterbacks are on the firmest of ground. EFX went out and gave a serious look to several of the quarterbacks in this year's draft and this was pretty weak class to consider taking one. Elway in his own words said "We had to see if that franchise guy was there. He also Sandy Clough in the same press conference you can count on us doing this again next year."

I still think it's worse news for Orton than it is for Tebow. We've heard Elway and Fox are not invested in Tebow because they didn't draft him. But Bowlen's money is. If I understand things correctly most of Tebow's contract is guaranteed.

The way Tebow's contract was written..
he got the bulk of his money in the second year.
He has already been paid....
I believe it was 6 or 8 million just about 2 weeks ago...
The balance of his contract is peanuts in comparison.
It is cheap to keep Tim from here on out.

I think Elway and Fox are invested in getting this year started..
on building the team's new foundation...
and creating a winning atmosphere.

Tebow is a back up, project QB.
They have stated categoricaly their suport of Tim.
At this point he is going on the back burner in a week...
they have bigger fish to fry.

Worse news for Orton? He is happy as can be.

New family... huge payday this season (9 million)
the staring job so he can showcase his talent.

Look for Orton to play safe...
protecting his TD to INT ratio..
stay healthy.. no risks of injury...
he just needs to be careful...
and soon he will be in teh Free Agent Free For ALL...
that starts again in 17 weeks....

That is what Kyle is thinking.. 17 weeks.

Just stay healthy... dont make mistakes...
and then the BONANZA SWEEPSTAKES.

It is all roses and tulips for Kyle....
who dreams of playing somewhere where the fans actually like him.

And.. I would bet money that the Broncos draft another QB next season..

PAINTERDAVE
08-30-2011, 10:20 AM

I think we are going to see a LOT of changes
among our backups... across the board...
once the cut down happens...
since we are in a position to take who we want..
and we ARE rebuilding...

Lancane
08-30-2011, 10:23 AM

Actually his contract is mostly guaranteed, but he's been paid the biggest chunk of his contract this off-season, give the bonuses he could receive, I believe what remains is mostly his annual which is I believe somewhat reasonable, I don't think Bowlen is that deep into Tebow as some suspect.

Lancane
08-30-2011, 10:35 AM
And its obvious why.
http://i.usatoday.net/sports/_photos/2011/08/04/Andrew-Luck-is-thrilled-to-be-back-at-Stanford-0893GKQ-x-large.jpg

Sorry Socal, I don't think Elway and company will be shortsighted enough to bank on Luck, they may try and get him...but I fully expect them to give a serious look at the others in the draft, otherwise we should truly start to question the validity of the front office.

;)

SOCALORADO.
08-30-2011, 10:44 AM
Sorry Socal, I don't think Elway and company will be shortsighted enough to bank on Luck, they may try and get him...but I fully expect them to give a serious look at the others in the draft, otherwise we should truly start to question the validity of the front office.

;)

No ones banking on Luck. But Elway obviously has his eye on him as well as the others and hes said so.
Tebows been paid, is now a cheap option at back-up, and the FO will concentrate on Luck, Barkley and Jones until next years draft.

Lancane
08-30-2011, 10:48 AM
No ones banking on Luck. But Elway obviously has his eye on him as well as the others and hes said so.
Tebows been paid, is now a cheap option at back-up, and the FO will concentrate on Luck, Barkley and Jones until next years draft.

Agreed! :beer:

TXBRONC
08-30-2011, 11:02 AM
Actually his contract is mostly guaranteed, but he's been paid the biggest chunk of his contract this off-season, give the bonuses he could receive, I believe what remains is mostly his annual which is I believe somewhat reasonable, I don't think Bowlen is that deep into Tebow as some suspect.

I was purely coming from it from the financial side of it. IIRC Tebow received $6 million dollars or little bit more than 6 just recently. I don't remember if that signing bonus or not but I would guess it was.

BigDaddyBronco
08-30-2011, 11:03 AM
Tebows been paid, is now a cheap option at back-up, and the FO will concentrate on Luck, Barkley and Jones until next years draft.They will draft a QB in the 1st round and then Tebow will beat him in training camp next year. :D

SOCALORADO.
08-30-2011, 11:08 AM
They will draft a QB in the 1st round and then Tebow will beat him in training camp next year. :D

;):lol:

TXBRONC
08-30-2011, 11:10 AM
The way Tebow's contract was written..
he got the bulk of his money in the second year.
He has already been paid....
I believe it was 6 or 8 million just about 2 weeks ago...
The balance of his contract is peanuts in comparison.
It is cheap to keep Tim from here on out.

I think Elway and Fox are invested in getting this year started..
on building the team's new foundation...
and creating a winning atmosphere.

Tebow is a back up, project QB.
They have stated categoricaly their suport of Tim.
At this point he is going on the back burner in a week...
they have bigger fish to fry.

Worse news for Orton? He is happy as can be.

New family... huge payday this season (9 million)
the staring job so he can showcase his talent.

Look for Orton to play safe...
protecting his TD to INT ratio..
stay healthy.. no risks of injury...
he just needs to be careful...
and soon he will be in teh Free Agent Free For ALL...
that starts again in 17 weeks....

That is what Kyle is thinking.. 17 weeks.

Just stay healthy... dont make mistakes...
and then the BONANZA SWEEPSTAKES.

It is all roses and tulips for Kyle....
who dreams of playing somewhere where the fans actually like him.

And.. I would bet money that the Broncos draft another QB next season..

What I'm talking about is Orton staying in Denver long term. I prefer that than to have to go out on the open market. Things can change dramatically in year's time but if this year is any kind of indication I don't if he'll find team willing to pay him the kind of money he's getting this year.

broncohead
08-30-2011, 11:10 AM

The HC traded most of the talent away does that count?