PDA

View Full Version : Von Miller -- Defensive Rookie of the Year: CBS Sports

Canmore
08-29-2011, 10:24 PM
Rob Rang of CBS Sports thinks Von Miller is going to tear it up this year.

Some will take this game as one example of a defensive rookie being ahead of an offensive rookie. I see the physical traits, instincts and technique that is going to make Miller an absolute terror for the Broncos... and I mean, immediately.

The combination of Miller and the healthy return of 2009 NFL sack leader Elvis Dumervil will give the Broncos the elite pass rushing duo in all of the NFL this season. If that prediction isn't bold enough for you (considering that Denver finished dead last in the NFL with 32 sacks in 2010), how about this one.

Not only does Miller appear poised to win the Defensive Rookie of the Year award, I think he may be capable of doing so as emphatically as Ndamukong Suh did it for the Detroit Lions last year, perhaps even challenging Jevon Kearse's rookie sack title (14.5 for Tennessee in 1999).

More at the link below

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/13682485/31607696

Dzone
08-29-2011, 10:27 PM
This is great! The dude is a freak! NFL Rookie of The Year!

MOtorboat
08-29-2011, 10:27 PM
Man, I hope this dude is right.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-29-2011, 10:30 PM
My son/dau-in-law went to the game Sat. night, and my son was talking about this very thing today - saying that if Von keeps doing what he is doing now, all season, he should be Defensive Rookie of the year.

Canmore
08-29-2011, 10:35 PM
If Miller can play like he is showing so far it will be a runaway in DROY voting. I haven't seen such a first step in quite some time. The guy has speed to burn. He needs to show this type of ability against better tackles before we crown him. Still, he is getting noticed by the national media and it's nice to hear something "good" about the Broncos.

Dzone
08-29-2011, 10:39 PM
Miller seems to do it consistently , play after play. Always around the ball.
Blinding speed.
He will be drawing a lot of double teams

Canmore
08-29-2011, 10:47 PM
Miller seems to do it consistently , play after play. Always around the ball.
Blinding speed.
He will be drawing a lot of double teams

Imagine teams being forced to double him and what are you going to do with Dumervil, assuming he is healthy and it sure looks like he is. Isn't that a nice dilemma for offensive coordinators. Maybe predicting seven sacks for Miller was a little low. :lol: If Miller and Doom can feed off of each other, who knows what type of pressure we could generate. NASCAR defense according to Fox, speed kills.

Tned
08-29-2011, 10:58 PM
Imagine teams being forced to double him and what are you going to do with Dumervil, assuming he is healthy and it sure looks like he is. Isn't that a nice dilemma for offensive coordinators. Maybe predicting seven sacks for Miller was a little low. :lol: If Miller and Doom can feed off of each other, who knows what type of pressure we could generate. NASCAR defense according to Fox, speed kills.

Not only that, but you also have Ayers and DJ that could be in line for sacks as teams try and contain Miller and Doom.

NorCalBronco7
08-29-2011, 10:59 PM
It was funny hearing other fans and even Bronco fans calling the Broncos stupid for not taking Dareus because we need a DT. I mean, I understand where they are coming from. Dareus would have been an excellent fit for us, and god knows we dont have the most talented interior d line.

I dont follow college football as close as the NFL, not even half as much. But it took me two seconds of film on Miller to realize he's something special.....Dareus, not so much.

The Broncos took the best player (premature, I know) and he is the most exiting draft pick I have ever seen us get. Pass rushing is my favortie aspect of defenses, and to think we might have the best pass rushing tandem in the NFL one day gets me pumped!

Millers has to be the ROY favorite if you ask me, and its not because hes a Bronco, its because he's a freak of nature.

Canmore
08-29-2011, 11:05 PM
Not only that, but you also have Ayers and DJ that could be in line for sacks as teams try and contain Miller and Doom.

Agreed. The whole defensive front seven could benefit from two extrodinary edge rushers. We haven't even mentioned how this could benefit our defensive tackles. Hopefully Bunkley is ready to go soon. Too bad about Warren. If we can get someone to even collapse the pocket some, where is the quarterback going to go? Hopefully on his butt.

Agent of Orange
08-29-2011, 11:07 PM

Or what about sacks because QBs are all too eager to step up into the pocket to avoid Doom and Von?

Tned
08-29-2011, 11:07 PM
In passing situations, it looks like Ayers is going to be a DT that they hope will get penetration up the middle, while the offense tries to stop the edge rush.

Canmore
08-29-2011, 11:08 PM
It was funny hearing other fans and even Bronco fans calling the Broncos stupid for not taking Dareus because we need a DT. I mean, I understand where they are coming from. Dareus would have been an excellent fit for us, and god knows we dont have the most talented interior d line.

I dont follow college football as close as the NFL, not even half as much. But it took me two seconds of film on Miller to realize he's something special.....Dareus, not so much.

The Broncos took the best player (premature, I know) and he is the most exiting draft pick I have ever seen us get. Pass rushing is my favortie aspect of defenses, and to think we might have the best pass rushing tandem in the NFL one day gets me pumped!

Millers has to be the ROY favorite if you ask me, and its not because hes a Bronco, its because he's a freak of nature.

I know it's awfully early to be talking about DROY, but I am pumped too. Just maybe the Derrick Thomas comparisons will have some fruition.

Canmore
08-29-2011, 11:11 PM
In passing situations, it looks like Ayers is going to be a DT that they hope will get penetration up the middle, while the offense tries to stop the edge rush.

That's right with all the excitement over Miller and Doom, I forgot they are moving Ayers inside on passing downs. If he can help to collapse the pocket we may really be on to something.

Tned
08-29-2011, 11:58 PM
That's right with all the excitement over Miller and Doom, I forgot they are moving Ayers inside on passing downs. If he can help to collapse the pocket we may really be on to something.

I read or heard (think it was on the radio) him talking about being excited to both be playing end and moving inside to rush. He said that's what he did in school and what he likes to do, and the two years at OLB didn't really suit him. He's looking forward to getting to rush the QB. Something like that. Sounded excited.

Canmore
08-30-2011, 12:04 AM
I read or heard (think it was on the radio) him talking about being excited to both be playing end and moving inside to rush. He said that's what he did in school and what he likes to do, and the two years at OLB didn't really suit him. He's looking forward to getting to rush the QB. Something like that. Sounded excited.

Someone posted that he was just a half second late from being in on some sacks, said always a bridesmaid never a bride. I commented last year about how he was just a half second slow on numerous plays. With Miller and Doom forcing the issue from the edge, maybe Ayers can clean up on some quarterbacks. To truely be effective, we are going to need someone to collapse the pocket some. If Robert can give us an inside presence, life is going to be really tough on opposing offenses.

Tned
08-30-2011, 12:22 AM
Someone posted that he was just a half second late from being in on some sacks, said always a bridesmaid never a bride. I commented last year about how he was just a half second slow on numerous plays. With Miller and Doom forcing the issue from the edge, maybe Ayers can clean up on some quarterbacks. To truely be effective, we are going to need someone to collapse the pocket some. If Robert can give us an inside presence, life is going to be really tough on opposing offenses.

Yep, and I also am hoping that both M. Thomas and Bunkley, when healthy, form a much better run stopping duo than most people think. Like a lot of our other players, Thomas has been bounced around, and hasn't really had a chance to mature at one position. Moving him back to his natural position might just give him a chance to show what was considered first round talent up until he got suspended from the team his senior year.

This is important, because for Von Doom to really clean up, we need to stuff the run on early downs and force 2nd and 3rd and long.

BroncoWave
08-30-2011, 12:24 AM
I have to say, this might be the most unified I have EVER seen this board on a Broncos rookie! :lol:

And that's especially impressive considering how pissed many were about taking him over Dareus.

But yeah, he is quickly becoming my new favorite Bronco. I could not be more excited to see him play in the regular season.

Tned
08-30-2011, 12:26 AM
http://www.jimrome.com/cimages/var/ezjimrome/storage/images/repository/photos/von-miller/368219-1-eng-US/Von-Miller_photo_medium.jpg

BroncoWave
08-30-2011, 12:28 AM
Hmm, that pic looks familiar! :lol:

Tned
08-30-2011, 12:30 AM
Hmm, that pic looks familiar! :lol:

Yes and no.

Canmore
08-30-2011, 12:37 AM
Yep, and I also am hoping that both M. Thomas and Bunkley, when healthy, form a much better run stopping duo than most people think. Like a lot of our other players, Thomas has been bounced around, and hasn't really had a chance to mature at one position. Moving him back to his natural position might just give him a chance to show what was considered first round talent up until he got suspended from the team his senior year.

This is important, because for Von Doom to really clean up, we need to stuff the run on early downs and force 2nd and 3rd and long.

Very true. If we can't get people in obvious passing situations I think we are in trouble. I too am hoping Marcus Thomas blossoms after being put back in his natural position. Kind of reminds me of DJ. Thomas has been jerked around a lot also and no complaints. If we could only get that kind of production out of Marcus. Bunkley looked good in the limited number of snaps I noticed him on. We badly need to limit the opponents run game. Monday night will be a very telling opener.

bcbronc
08-30-2011, 12:50 AM
imo Von needs to get a cooler alter-ego before worrying about DROY. Robin is a bit foofy.

Agent of Orange
08-30-2011, 12:55 AM
I have to say, this might be the most unified I have EVER seen this board on a Broncos rookie! :lol:

And that's especially impressive considering how pissed many were about taking him over Dareus.

But yeah, he is quickly becoming my new favorite Bronco. I could not be more excited to see him play in the regular season.

People need to remember that the focus of the discussion was DT (Fairley or Dareus) vs. DB (Peterson). The people who didn't like the idea of taking a DB thought it made more sense to address the front 7. Miller wasn't on a lot of radars because of him being projected as a 3-4 OLB. But when he was drafted, he kind of split the middle. Neither side got exactly what they wanted. I was a DT guy but I felt at least Miller was a front 7 player and if he could help us get pressure on the QB, then this could, in turn, help the run defense because he could help us get off the field on 3rd downs.

Agent of Orange
08-30-2011, 01:06 AM
Very true. If we can't get people in obvious passing situations I think we are in trouble. I too am hoping Marcus Thomas blossoms after being put back in his natural position. Kind of reminds me of DJ. Thomas has been jerked around a lot also and no complaints. If we could only get that kind of production out of Marcus. Bunkley looked good in the limited number of snaps I noticed him on. We badly need to limit the opponents run game. Monday night will be a very telling opener.

We gave up a lot of rushing yards last year but a lot of bad things go into that.

People need to remember that Denver ranked last in sacks last year. This means that when our defense had the chance to get off the field on third down, they couldn't do it, which meant the opposing offenses could subsequently continue running for more yards.

Another thing that hurt Denver's run defense was their dreadful running game for most of the season. If you have to rely on the pass that much, you expose your run defense even more since you have more clock stoppages when you pass the ball a lot.

And then also, the way McDaniels dealt with the defensive line was just sad. He never legitimately addressed the nose tackle position in spite of having several draft picks to do so. Contrary to what many want to think, Marcus Thomas was actually decent last year in spite of playing in a defense that doesnt suit him.

So, there were a lot of factors that killed the defense last year. The personnel wasnt great by any stretch but there were so many other factors that it was like a perfect storm of ways to kill your run defense.

Canmore
08-30-2011, 01:22 AM
We gave up a lot of rushing yards last year but a lot of bad things go into that.

People need to remember that Denver ranked last in sacks last year. This means that when our defense had the chance to get off the field on third down, they couldn't do it, which meant the opposing offenses could subsequently continue running for more yards.

Another thing that hurt Denver's run defense was their dreadful running game for most of the season. If you have to rely on the pass that much, you expose your run defense even more since you have more clock stoppages when you pass the ball a lot.

And then also, the way McDaniels dealt with the defensive line was just sad. He never legitimately addressed the nose tackle position in spite of having several draft picks to do so. Contrary to what many want to think, Marcus Thomas was actually decent last year in spite of playing in a defense that doesnt suit him.

So, there were a lot of factors that killed the defense last year. The personnel wasnt great by any stretch but there were so many other factors that it was like a perfect storm of ways to kill your run defense.

Well analyzed. Our run defense was atrocious for a myrid of reasons. You hit on about all of them. Thomas may just blossom put back where he belongs. It was the perfect storm. If we can just slow people down in the run game. I believe we will be playing to a real stength in the pass defense game.

Agent of Orange
08-30-2011, 01:27 AM
Well analyzed. Our run defense was atrocious for a myrid of reasons. You hit on about all of them. Thomas may just blossom put back where he belongs. It was the perfect storm. If we can just slow people down in the run game. I believe we will be playing to a real stength in the pass defense game.

Thanks.

On second thought, Im not so sure "a pefect storm" is the best choice of words. To me, that kind of suggest a lot of random factors lining up against you--bad luck. A lot of what made the run defense suck were choices made by the ex coach--not bad luck (save the Doom injury). And I didn't even get into the Nolan thing. But yeah, there were a lot of factors that made the run defense bad.

Canmore
08-30-2011, 01:36 AM
Thanks.

On second thought, Im not so sure "a pefect storm" is the best choice of words. To me, that kind of suggest a lot of random factors lining up against you--bad luck. A lot of what made the run defense suck were choices made by the ex coach--not bad luck (save the Doom injury). And I didn't even get into the Nolan thing. But yeah, there were a lot of factors that made the run defense bad.

I hear you, but I thought the "Perfect Storm" analogy was spot on backed up by your analysis. I hate talking about McDaniels, the taste in my mouth is beyond words. Kudos to you. :salute:

claymore
08-30-2011, 02:20 AM

This is what sold me on this regime. They took the BPA at every spot. They didnt seem to reach on anyone other than Orange Julius, but he seems to be a phenom...

Im so sick of reaching on talent in the draft and FA.

I actually trust this org to do the right thing for the future, and not for present.

Davii
08-30-2011, 02:23 AM
I think Von will be right at the top of the DROY if he doesn't win it. He's ridiculously fast, and that tandem of Dumervil and Von Miller will create havoc for other teams.

I am immensely excited for our D. You know, no matter the W total this year, this team is improved and I will actually enjoy watching them again. Not that I missed a game when I wasn't enjoying watching, I watched them all, but the last couple years I dreaded Sunday morning.

Canmore
08-30-2011, 02:30 AM
This is what sold me on this regime. They took the BPA at every spot. They didnt seem to reach on anyone other than Orange Julius, but he seems to be a phenom...

Im so sick of reaching on talent in the draft and FA.

I actually trust this org to do the right thing for the future, and not for present.

Agreed on both points. Von Miller looks to be a star. No other way of putting it. Franklin is a road grader and if he can be a pass blocker could be special. Moore shows real potential and I loved his fine. Carter the jury is out on but could be Dawkins replacement. Orange Julius has skills. If he can block the sky is the limit. That doesn't cover the rest of the draft but it looks like we hit on some winners by taking the best player available.

I think this front ofice has shown savy beyond their years. Like I have said before, I'm willing to ride with these guys for a while.

Canmore
08-30-2011, 03:08 AM
I think Von will be right at the top of the DROY if he doesn't win it. He's ridiculously fast, and that tandem of Dumervil and Von Miller will create havoc for other teams.

I am immensely excited for our D. You know, no matter the W total this year, this team is improved and I will actually enjoy watching them again. Not that I missed a game when I wasn't enjoying watching, I watched them all, but the last couple years I dreaded Sunday morning.

Haven't missed a game since DirecTV went on the air for the last five games of 1994 (I was a Marine flight instructor at NAS Meridian, MS). I too dreaded last season and I am really excited for this one. Don't expect a boatload of wins, but I expect to be competitive.

TXBRONC
08-30-2011, 06:45 AM
My son/dau-in-law went to the game Sat. night, and my son was talking about this very thing today - saying that if Von keeps doing what he is doing now, all season, he should be Defensive Rookie of the year.

Yep. If plays the way has been during the regular season it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up being DROY.

NightTerror218
08-30-2011, 01:24 PM
I totally see this happening.

BroncoNut
08-30-2011, 01:42 PM
If I were Von Miller (and thank God that I am not) I would have held my cards closer to the chest and then bust out like in week 7 or something

Northman
08-30-2011, 01:43 PM
Well, if he is good that means he will be traded at some point.....oh wait, that guy is gone. We are golden.

BroncoNut
08-30-2011, 01:44 PM
I totally see this happening.

Listen to you guys. Like a bunch of schoolgirls. The season hasn't even begun

Mike
08-30-2011, 01:45 PM
Hard to get sacks when the QBs don't have to pass.

Just sayin.

:ninja:

Davii
08-30-2011, 01:46 PM
Listen to you guys. Like a bunch of schoolgirls. The season hasn't even begun

Don't hate... Everyone is just happy there is a reason to be excited again. Hadn't happened in a few years.

BroncoNut
08-30-2011, 01:47 PM
Don't hate... Everyone is just happy there is a reason to be excited again. Hadn't happened in a few years.

sure there is, and I am too. just trying to keep the thread going.

NightTerror218
08-30-2011, 01:49 PM
If I were Von Miller (and thank God that I am not) I would have held my cards closer to the chest and then bust out like in week 7 or something

Could he be holding back already?

BroncoNut
08-30-2011, 01:53 PM
Could he be holding back already?

I figured someone might respond with this. might be, that'd be sweet huh?

NightTerror218
08-30-2011, 01:56 PM
I figured someone might respond with this. might be, that'd be sweet huh?

Would be exciting.....if he gets 10+ sacks this year I will buy a jersey. I am a picky jersey buyer, cause I hate to buy a jersey of someone and then see them traded. Hence I own jerseys of former broncos who had careers in denver.

Mike
08-30-2011, 01:58 PM
If I were Miller I would tear it up the first four games or so and then go into a real slump for the next 8, then tear it up again for the rest of the season.

That way I would get ROY and Comeback Player of the Year too. Booya.

BroncoNut
08-30-2011, 01:59 PM
Would be exciting.....if he gets 10+ sacks this year I will buy a jersey. I am a picky jersey buyer, cause I hate to buy a jersey of someone and then see them traded. Hence I own jerseys of former broncos who had careers in denver.

me too. thinking on getting a dumerville jersey though. Von Miller is a valid consideration if he keeps it up (and I am sure he will barring injury)

Jsteve01
08-30-2011, 01:59 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you. People forget how solid our defense was against the run through the first 5 games. There were a few factors that played into it. Ayers and Alexander were doing a fantastic job setting the edge, and our old tackles/lack of depth hadn't been exposed yet.

As the year drew on, Ayers and Alexander go down and our commitment to the run diminished, which in turn led to three and outs or quick scores which only compounded our issues on the line. The defense last year would have been serviceable minus the injuries and our lack of a running game. Not good mind you but at least not a reaking embarrassment.

NightTerror218
08-30-2011, 02:05 PM
me too. thinking on getting a dumerville jersey though. Von Miller is a valid consideration if he keeps it up (and I am sure he will barring injury)

Well you can make your own Jersey.... Von Doom # 1 :D:cool::salute:

BroncoNut
08-30-2011, 02:06 PM

is Von his first name? I thought his last name was Von Miller.

NightTerror218
08-30-2011, 02:08 PM
is Von his first name? I thought his last name was Von Miller.

Von is his first name.

you can go to Denver Broncos website and jerseys.....the put your name here one which is #00 and put in the name Von Doom....i like it

Nomad
08-30-2011, 02:12 PM
He is a BRONCO and I hope he lives up to his hype and contributes to the pass and run defense! It only benefits the BRONCOS!

NightTerror218
08-30-2011, 02:16 PM
He is a BRONCO and I hope he lives up to his hype and contributes to the pass and run defense! It only benefits the BRONCOS!

We can go to the Peanut Farm sporting Von Doom custom made jerseys :salute:

BroncoNut
08-30-2011, 02:19 PM

sounds like you're in the mood for some male companionship

NightTerror218
08-30-2011, 02:20 PM
sounds like you're in the mood for some male companionship

Just some fellow Bronco companionship....wife is a football fan...just college though

Nomad
08-30-2011, 02:32 PM

I've only owned 2 jerseys.....Elway and I still have my McCaffery from '97 (which I have never really worn).

I'll go to the Farm though. I noticed the Ale House is open here (which you told me) but I noticed the other day another Ale House that was closed down. My wife likes local channels (due to updating news about the base/schools on weather days)so I don't think I'll get DTV again, but I tried to convince her to get the kids a PS3 for an early Christmas gift.....didn't work out because they already have an Xbox and plus I'm not in to games!:lol:

Anyway, I hope Miller makes me forget about the Dareus pick!

BroncoNut
08-30-2011, 02:34 PM
Just some fellow Bronco companionship....wife is a football fan...just college though

yep. Heard that one before. Next thing you know, you're biting a pillow

NightTerror218
08-30-2011, 02:34 PM
I've only owned 2 jerseys.....Elway and I still have my McCaffery from '97 (which I have never really worn).

I'll go to the Farm though. I noticed the Ale House is open here (which you told me) but I noticed the other day another Ale House that was closed down. My wife likes local channels (due to updating news about the base/schools on weather days)so I don't think I'll get DTV again, but I tried to convince her to get the kids a PS3 for an early Christmas gift.....didn't work out because they already have an Xbox and plus I'm not in to games!:lol:

Anyway, I hope Miller makes me forget about the Dareus pick!

The Ale house is going to open us a bar (maybe sports bar) upstairs. I prefer there, it is so much closer. I own the same jerseys lmao.

bcbronc
08-30-2011, 02:35 PM

I'd say 69 would be a better number, seeing as they're simultaneously munching QBs.

BroncoNut
08-30-2011, 03:02 PM
I'd say 69 would be a better number, seeing as they're simultaneously munching QBs.

It's weird, but that guy in your avy looks alot like me. It's kinda creepy actually

Nomad
08-30-2011, 03:04 PM
It's weird, but that guy in your avy looks alot like me. It's kinda creepy actually

Do you have a black eye?

BroncoNut
08-30-2011, 03:10 PM
Do you have a black eye?

no. but he looks like me in a hockey uniform with a black eye

Nomad
08-30-2011, 03:22 PM
no. but he looks like me in a hockey uniform with a black eye

Did you get most athletic in your hs class because didn't you play multiple sports? I only played baseball (LF/CF) and football (CB/2nd team WO)and was better at baseball but not as athletic as some of the brothers who played football, basketball, and track.

Lancane
08-30-2011, 03:26 PM
Someone should tell them that analysts have been predicting that Miller as a ROY candidate since the moment that Fox drafted him, it's a pretty good marriage, pass rushing linebacker with a pass rush loving coach!

:laugh:

Nomad
08-30-2011, 03:30 PM
Someone should tell them that analysts have been predicting that Miller as a ROY candidate since the moment that Fox drafted him, it's a pretty good marriage, pass rushing linebacker with a pass rush loving coach!

The pass defense should be really fun to watch this year! So does this mean Dumervil gets Comeback Player of the Year?

Lancane
08-30-2011, 03:32 PM
The pass defense should be really fun to watch this year! So does this mean Dumervil gets Comeback Player of the Year?

If he puts up comparable numbers to those he had before the injury, then I'd say there is a good chance.

Nomad
08-30-2011, 04:11 PM
If he puts up comparable numbers to those he had before the injury, then I'd say there is a good chance.

Yeah, he left practice today with a groin injury, hopefully it's not too bad! but I know you're talking about his pec muscles, which I've never torn.

Lancane
08-30-2011, 05:20 PM
Yeah, he left practice today with a groin injury, hopefully it's not too bad! but I know you're talking about his pec muscles, which I've never torn.

Imagine feeling that someone poked a hole, almost like getting a huge piercing in the side of your upper torso, then they take their fingers and begin to tear the flesh open wider and wider, almost as though it was a chicken breast while also tearing the muscle...that is the best way I can describe it. Would rather be kicked in nuts repeatedly then feel that ever again.

Dzone
08-30-2011, 05:38 PM
If its anything like Jevon Kearses rookie year, then this could alter the entire afc west.

BroncoNut
08-31-2011, 08:49 AM
Did you get most athletic in your hs class because didn't you play multiple sports? I only played baseball (LF/CF) and football (CB/2nd team WO)and was better at baseball but not as athletic as some of the brothers who played football, basketball, and track.

no, I didn't do sports in high school. I was too small. I wrestled for a while, but it made me tired and I couldn't spend time on homework so I quit early. I was an academic geek in high school and a teacher's son so I laid low

BroncoNut
08-31-2011, 08:49 AM
Imagine feeling that someone poked a hole, almost like getting a huge piercing in the side of your upper torso, then they take their fingers and begin to tear the flesh open wider and wider, almost as though it was a chicken breast while also tearing the muscle...that is the best way I can describe it. Would rather be kicked in nuts repeatedly then feel that ever again.

ouch

BroncoNut
08-31-2011, 08:50 AM

wasn't he playing DE?

Lancane
08-31-2011, 09:18 AM
wasn't he playing DE?

He played defensive end his freshman year, before he was suspended for academic reasons by Mike Sherman. When he returned he was moved to the Will Linebacker position in the Kines' 4-3 base defense, in 2009 he took over the Jack position which is a Defensive End/Linebacker hybrid used in a 43 defense, you could say that though he's the starting Sam Linebacker, that he is more of a Jack then a true Sam here in Denver. In 2010 the Aggies switched from Kines' 43 to DeRuyter's 34 defense where he started as an outside as a rush linebacker.

So while he could be considered a defensive end, in most circles he's regarded as a linebacker.

BroncoNut
08-31-2011, 09:19 AM
thanks Lancane, man you know your shit. sounds like

Lancane
08-31-2011, 09:27 AM
thanks Lancane, man you know your shit. sounds like

Somethings I know, the other shit I read up on, when Miller became a viable option for us to draft I read all the bios I could find on him, same with the other prospects that the Broncos were looking at. I was actually surprised how few knew about the Jack position in a 43 defense, in fact the very terminology of the position, Dumervil also fits that role.

BroncoNut
08-31-2011, 09:36 AM
Somethings I know, the other shit I read up on, when Miller became a viable option for us to draft I read all the bios I could find on him, same with the other prospects that the Broncos were looking at. I was actually surprised how few knew about the Jack position in a 43 defense, in fact the very terminology of the position, Dumervil also fits that role.

first time I heard about the jack. . Is it on the weak side and kinda "floats" in the area to adjust to the play as it develops?

BroncoNut
08-31-2011, 09:39 AM

sounds like you were much more of a jock than me in school. I'm fairly athletic, but only really played rugby competitively. Loved playing basketball pickup games. I was a decent defender and had a nice outside jump shot. Aggressive in the paint, but absolutely no ups. I'd get in anyone's face though. I'd love to have posted up against Beef about 12 years ago. I would have gotten into his head.

BigDaddyBronco
08-31-2011, 09:47 AM
sounds like you were much more of a jock than me in school. I'm fairly athletic, but only really played rugby competitively. Loved playing basketball pickup games. I was a decent defender and had a nice outside jump shot. Aggressive in the paint, but absolutely no ups. I'd get in anyone's face though. I'd love to have posted up against Beef about 12 years ago. I would have gotten into his head.

lol, he would have owned you like you own Shultze.

Lancane
08-31-2011, 09:48 AM
first time I heard about the jack. . Is it on the weak side and kinda "floats" in the area to adjust to the play as it develops?

Usually a Jack linebacker would be the Will in a 34, or better known as a Buck linebacker, the few times I've heard Jack is usually in regards to hybrid defensive end/linebackers used in 43 defenses which use some 34 stints in their schemes. The Jack is more like a Rover or Rush linebacker then a true Will. I've never heard of a Jack at the Sam spot, but I don't expect Fox to keep Miller entirely at the strong side, we'll likely see him move around much like Nolan did with Dumervil, where he had him play 4-3 defensive end on some plays, others he'd be a Buck linebacker or move over to Sam, depending on the package.

Jsteve01
08-31-2011, 09:49 AM

He'll play on the strong side and float a little. I really think as he progresses in Allen's defense, you'll see him used in a Polamalu role. Where you see him moved all over the field to maximize matchups and wreak havoc on opposing offenses.

Jsteve01
08-31-2011, 09:51 AM
nut you played rugby? I bet you really enjoyed the scrum

BroncoNut
08-31-2011, 09:52 AM
lol, he would have owned you like you own Shultze.

I'm a dirty player against fatasses like you and Beef. In the paint he would have owned me, sure. but not on the perimeter. I would force him to shoot from the perimeter and he would eventually become frustrated. I would take the ball from him even while he was pushing his mushy fat ass into my torso.

BroncoNut
08-31-2011, 09:54 AM

I'm not sure what you're getting at with that comment, I hope it's not what I think it might be, but I was a back. I enjoyed scrumming though when I played forward. I wasn't bad at 2nd row or 8 man. I pushed hard

Nomad
08-31-2011, 09:55 AM

I tried! I was a good LF. I was never a power hitter but my hitting/on base percentage was good. As far as football, I played since peewee up to a senior in high school. My freshman and senior year, I was starting at weakside corner, only because the kid ahead of me as a freshman moved up to JV and my senior year, Stevie got hurt so I moved up to starter. And I played on ST mainly kickoff. Nothing to brag about:lol:, but it was fun while it lasted.

I wish I had better study habits while I was there.

Lancane
08-31-2011, 09:56 AM

I've never played rugby, I've never even watched a game. It's one of the few I never was involved in, but we didn't even have a team at our high school nor did we have a lacrosse or hockey team - must have something to do with inner city schools.

BroncoNut
08-31-2011, 09:59 AM
I've never played rugby, I've never even watched a game. It's one of the few I never was involved in, but we didn't even have a team at our high school nor did we have a lacrosse or hockey team - must have something to do with inner city schools.

I didn't find the sport til college. my now Brother in law introduced it to me when I was a sophmore. but it hasn't really taken off at the hs level in the midwest. (i grew up in Iowa). It and Lacrosse have really taken hold at hs out here on the east coast.

BroncoJoe
08-31-2011, 10:03 AM

I'm sure Beef will let you post him up if you ask.

BroncoNut
08-31-2011, 10:19 AM
I'm sure Beef will let you post him up if you ask.

I'm sure he would, but that's not what I had in mind.

Jsteve01
08-31-2011, 10:58 AM
I'm not sure what you're getting at with that comment, I hope it's not what I think it might be, but I was a back. I enjoyed scrumming though when I played forward. I wasn't bad at 2nd row or 8 man. I pushed hard

I played forward for a while but had a lot more fun as a back....Im sure you did push hard though nut.

NightTerror218
08-31-2011, 11:43 AM

what is wrong with rugby, I played it for several years. :beer:

BroncoNut
08-31-2011, 12:02 PM
I played forward for a while but had a lot more fun as a back....Im sure you did push hard though nut.

again, I feel as if you're posting some underhanded comments regarding my sexual orientation and I really resent that. I bet you were one helluva back with you're football experience. I bet you really stuck it to men that played opposite you. For some reason I see you as an inside center. Am I correct?

Jsteve01
08-31-2011, 02:09 PM
again, I feel as if you're posting some underhanded comments regarding my sexual orientation and I really resent that. I bet you were one helluva back with you're football experience. I bet you really stuck it to men that played opposite you. For some reason I see you as an inside center. Am I correct?

actually played a lot of winger but I rotated a little inside. I started out playing league rules in Queensland and then learned Union in college. Love league as it's a lot faster paced.

BroncoNut
08-31-2011, 06:16 PM
actually played a lot of winger but I rotated a little inside. I started out playing league rules in Queensland and then learned Union in college. Love league as it's a lot faster paced.

I've played league with the Aussies too. it was fun

weazel
08-31-2011, 06:55 PM
Rob Rang of CBS Sports thinks Von Miller is going to tear it up this year.

More at the link below

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/13682485/31607696

can he tell me who's gonna win the superbowl too, cause I would like to know the future and make alot of cash!!!!

Canmore
08-31-2011, 07:29 PM
can he tell me who's gonna win the superbowl too, cause I would like to know the future and make alot of cash!!!!

I'd just like the Powerball numbers!

dogfish
08-31-2011, 07:57 PM
clowns turning a perfectly good thread into a circle jerk. . . . :tsk:

i admit, i just blew the title off when i saw it. . . but rob rang's opinion actually has value to me. . . for those that don't know, he's a legit talent evaluator-- i don't know if he's ever worked in that capacity officially for an nfl team, but the guy does know his stuff pertty well. . . he's run the draftscout website for ever, the one CBS (or one of the initials) bought a couple years ago. . . he's not some pointless talking head like pete prisco or dr. z or some of those hacks-- or skip bayless, colin cowherd, or any of those worthless gasbags, either. . .

jay mariotti, i'm looking at you!

TXBRONC
08-31-2011, 08:06 PM

i admit, i just blew the title off when i saw it. . . but rob rang's opinion actually has value to me. . . for those that don't know, he's a legit talent evaluator-- i don't know if he's ever worked in that capacity officially for an nfl team, but the guy does know his stuff pertty well. . . he's run the draftscout website for ever, the one CBS (or one of the initials) bought a couple years ago. . . he's not some pointless talking head like pete prisco or dr. z or some of those hacks-- or skip bayless, colin cowherd, or any of those worthless gasbags, either. . .

I had never heard of Rob Rang before.

Canmore
08-31-2011, 08:23 PM
I had never heard of Rob Rang before.

Neither had I. Glad to know I didn't post a "bleacher report" quality article. I was just glad to see some positive Broncos press and I'm really excited about Von Miller and Elvis.

SR
08-31-2011, 08:26 PM
If I were Miller I would tear it up the first four games or so and then go into a real slump for the next 8, then tear it up again for the rest of the season.

That way I would get ROY and Comeback Player of the Year too. Booya.

That's some Chuck Norris shit right there.

SR
08-31-2011, 08:32 PM

The only time I've ever watched Rugby is when I've been deployed because we always have BBC channels. That shit gets pretty intense. It's fun to watch though.

SR
08-31-2011, 08:34 PM

That'd probably turn out like the scene in Hot Tub Time Machine where they're betting money on "the Drive" and the dude ends up having to perform oral pleasures on the other guy because he lost the bet.

Tned
08-31-2011, 09:31 PM

Have you checked out Tnedsports.com, now that guy is usually DEAD on with his analysis.

TXBRONC
09-01-2011, 08:53 AM
Neither had I. Glad to know I didn't post a "bleacher report" quality article. I was just glad to see some positive Broncos press and I'm really excited about Von Miller and Elvis.

On draft day when it became clear that Denver was going to draft Miller I thought it wasn't a good idea because it would have been better to draft Dareus. But now I'm getting really excited to see what he and Dumervil can do as a tandem.

Poet
09-02-2011, 12:23 AM

I can destroy you in a sprint, little man.

dogfish
09-02-2011, 12:46 AM

i would pay you in bacon. . .

when can we make this happen?

Poet
09-02-2011, 12:50 AM
i would pay you in bacon. . .

when can we make this happen?

Probably never. Bronconut is infamous for dodging his betters. **** Bronconut, he is my enemy. I will end him.

dogfish
09-02-2011, 12:52 AM
Probably never. Bronconut is infamous for dodging his betters. **** Bronconut, he is my enemy. I will end him.

i've noticed that he has been a bit of a squirrelly SOB lately, but this seems like an excessively harsh judgement of our friend nut. . .

he presumably hasn't been close enough to steal any food from you, so what brought this on?

Poet
09-02-2011, 12:57 AM
i've noticed that he has been a bit of a squirrelly SOB lately, but this seems like an excessively harsh judgement of our friend nut. . .

he presumably hasn't been close enough to steal any food from you, so what brought this on?

I've extended my hand to Bronconut many times and he has constantly disrespected me.

Zero Tolerance, aka the salad treatment.

dogfish
09-02-2011, 12:58 AM
king, this is like watching your good friends go through a divorce. . . i can no longer be a party to this. . . godspeed. . .

Poet
09-02-2011, 12:59 AM
king, this is like watching your good friends go through a divorce. . . i can no longer be a party to this. . . godspeed. . .

All I wanted was Nut's friendship.

BroncoNut
09-02-2011, 04:09 AM

If someone opened a bag a chips, I'm sure you would fatboi

Poet
09-02-2011, 11:33 AM
If someone opened a bag a chips, I'm sure you would fatboi

Oh, so now you want to pick on the fat kid huh? Let me ask you something, what was the body mass index of the infamous dog, sir?

BroncoNut
09-02-2011, 11:43 AM
Oh, so now you want to pick on the fat kid huh? Let me ask you something, what was the body mass index of the infamous dog, sir?

leave him out of this.

Agent of Orange
11-23-2011, 07:02 PM

bump

I think Thomas has done a really good job this year. The 4-3, Bunkley, Fox have all helped move things along. Also it doesnt hurt when the offense rarely turns the ball over and chews up the clock.