PDA

View Full Version : Spencer Larsen

Slick
08-29-2011, 05:00 PM
Someone please remind me what this guy does well.

I snuck away from the shop to watch the replay of the Seahawks game today. I watched him whiff on block after block throughout his playing time in that game. Did he just have a bad game?

Is/was he good on special teams?

Ziggy
08-29-2011, 05:13 PM
He's a good special teamer Slick, and the best fullback we have on this team. That doesn't mean that he's a decent fullback though. He's been bad throughout the preseason. FB is one area that the Broncos may bring in a released player to come in and start right away.

Jsteve01
08-29-2011, 05:32 PM

I snuck away from the shop to watch the replay of the Seahawks game today. I watched him whiff on block after block throughout his playing time in that game. Did he just have a bad game?

Is/was he good on special teams?

Slick, he's never been any good. I said it when the mastermind drafted him and immediately decided to convert him. Taking it for granted that a linebacker can play FB would be akin to saying any decent DT should be able to play guard. It's not just about cracking heads. He's got horrible awareness. Im honestly surprised Sylvester hasn't unseated him.

BroncoJoe
08-29-2011, 05:37 PM
Alexander sure laid out a linebacker on one play...

Northman
08-29-2011, 05:41 PM
Yea, not sure how "great" he is. However, he does bring a certain passion and aggressiveness i like. Its a catch 22 however as he doesnt really possess a lot of talent. He reminds me a lot of Keith Burns but even Keith was just good on ST's but you have to have a gunner there.

I remember a few years ago while playing Bmore that Burns got plastered by Ray Lewis on a Denver FG try in which their DB (I forget his name at the moment) caught the attempt and went and scored a TD with it. But i remember sitting there thinking "yea, Burns got owned but then again he was the only Denver player to even attempt to stop them from doing that".

The whole play just reminded me of Wilson and company not tagging Harrison down when playing the Colts. But anyway, Larsen could be that "good" special teams guy that we have like Burns. You have to remember, we dont have much depth so we have to take what we can get at this point.

jhildebrand
08-29-2011, 05:42 PM
I liked him better at LB in the Falcons game a few years ago then I ever have with him as a FB.

I Eat Staples
08-29-2011, 06:02 PM
I've always viewed Larsen as a good ST player but a below average FB. We could use a "real' FB to help out in the running game. Larsen isn't much of a plus there.

Buff
08-29-2011, 06:08 PM
He's a try-hard guy whose versatility was appealing until we realized how low his ceiling really is. He fit ok as special teams contributor and emergency LB/FB - not much worth as a lead blocking FB though.

dogfish
08-29-2011, 06:26 PM

play linebacker in college?

:welcome:

and not cost pat bowlen a lot of money. . . .

Slick
08-29-2011, 07:21 PM
Yeah, his effort was there but he stunk it up lead blocking.

Sylvester laid the wood a couple of times.
I guess being mediocrely versatile has kept his spot on the team.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

broncofaninfla
08-29-2011, 07:25 PM
I liked him better at LB in the Falcons game a few years ago then I ever have with him as a FB.

Same her, the kid had one hell of a game then we never used him at LB again? The kid is a gamer on SP, quick to the ball and very sure tackler. Sure wish he'd get another shot at LB.

HORSEPOWER 56
08-29-2011, 08:20 PM
Yea, not sure how "great" he is. However, he does bring a certain passion and aggressiveness i like. Its a catch 22 however as he doesnt really possess a lot of talent. He reminds me a lot of Keith Burns but even Keith was just good on ST's but you have to have a gunner there.

I remember a few years ago while playing Bmore that Burns got plastered by Ray Lewis on a Denver FG try in which their DB (I forget his name at the moment) caught the attempt and went and scored a TD with it. But i remember sitting there thinking "yea, Burns got owned but then again he was the only Denver player to even attempt to stop them from doing that".

The whole play just reminded me of Wilson and company not tagging Harrison down when playing the Colts. But anyway, Larsen could be that "good" special teams guy that we have like Burns. You have to remember, we dont have much depth so we have to take what we can get at this point.

Chris McAllister... MNF. We got worked... :tsk:

Medford Bronco
08-29-2011, 08:27 PM
Isnt fullback an endangered species in todays NFL with all the passing etc. You can use a TE as an H back. Just my 2 cents not that anyone cares lol.

Slick
08-29-2011, 08:29 PM
Yes we care med.

Medford Bronco
08-29-2011, 08:33 PM
Yes we care med.

I am glad someone does :lol:

Softskull
08-29-2011, 08:41 PM
I miss the Howard Griffith bone crushing hits. That's still the bar I have for fullback. Spencer seems like a nice kid, but he really doesn't cut it.

dogfish
08-29-2011, 08:42 PM
Yes we care med.

we care a lot, gat damnit!

Medford Bronco
08-29-2011, 08:50 PM
we care a lot, gat damnit!

You care for opinions based on gut :lol: and some viewing experience (32years worth) Okay then:salute:

Medford Bronco
08-29-2011, 08:51 PM
I miss the Howard Griffith bone crushing hits. That's still the bar I have for fullback. Spencer seems like a nice kid, but he really doesn't cut it.

Different era. How many good fullbacks are in the NFL. Not many. It is a passing league now. Its a shame. I love balance. that is what made us great in the late 90s

Canmore
08-29-2011, 09:02 PM
Different era. How many good fullbacks are in the NFL. Not many. It is a passing league now. Its a shame. I love balance. that is what made us great in the late 90s

No, not many fullbacks left, at least good ones. Howard Griffith, plowing the road for TD. Now that was a sight for those that enjoy power football! Always felt he was underated by the media, fans and the rest of the league. Good hands, powerful blocker, everything you want in a fullback. We had balance and then some. Didn't hurt having a Hall of Fame quarterback picking up third downs either.

Northman
08-29-2011, 09:04 PM
Vontae Leach, nuff said.

Slick
08-29-2011, 09:22 PM
Leach would have been nice. I bet fosters production goes down a bit. He'll miss having that dump truck lead blocking for him.

Broncomarkie
08-29-2011, 09:22 PM
Was wishing we could have gotten La'Ron McClain..anybody would have been better than having Larson

bcbronc
08-29-2011, 09:26 PM
Wasn't it reported that either Rosario or Fells were signed to play some FB? I assume Rosario cuz of his jersey # but I haven't seen either play FB during preseason. Can't be any worse I assume, and while Larson is solid on STs he's not exactly irreplaceable. Seems like a wasted roster spot imo.

sneakers
08-29-2011, 09:30 PM
he has two last names.

MOtorboat
08-29-2011, 09:49 PM
Wasn't it reported that either Rosario or Fells were signed to play some FB? I assume Rosario cuz of his jersey # but I haven't seen either play FB during preseason. Can't be any worse I assume, and while Larson is solid on STs he's not exactly irreplaceable. Seems like a wasted roster spot imo.

Fells will be the blocking back, I believe.

tomjonesrocks
08-30-2011, 09:08 AM
Agreed. Larsen wouldn't make the roster of most teams.

BroncoNut
08-30-2011, 09:11 AM
he has two last names.

or 2 first names. you should post that in your random facts thread.

Northman
08-30-2011, 09:19 AM
Screw you guys, he's our Rudy.

SpringsBroncoFan
08-30-2011, 10:48 AM

If he's willing to play for free, let him sleep in the basement...

dogfish
08-30-2011, 12:28 PM

uhh, no. . . . you're our rudy. . .

BORDERLINE
08-30-2011, 01:14 PM
the FO obviously believes that Larsen is the guy. How can you explain having two solid free agents in Leach and McClain and not pick one up. If they come out with their "WE don't want to overpay for a guy" remark i'm gonna burst. We had many chances to get better at DT and we let all those players walk right past us. Same with the FB. Hell I even wanted them to make a run on Miller the TE from the Raiders. But I guess we are set with a rookie and re tread TE.

Jsteve01
08-30-2011, 01:38 PM
the FO obviously believes that Larsen is the guy. How can you explain having two solid free agents in Leach and McClain and not pick one up. If they come out with their "WE don't want to overpay for a guy" remark i'm gonna burst. We had many chances to get better at DT and we let all those players walk right past us. Same with the FB. Hell I even wanted them to make a run on Miller the TE from the Raiders. But I guess we are set with a rookie and re tread TE.

I think the new regime will place more emphasis on a FB, but let's be honest with all the holes we had to fill, it Leach fell down the list of priorities in FA. That position will always be an afterthought and it's sad because teams with great great running games have always had a Leach, Griffith or Lorenzo Neal. Ask Tomlinson how things went for him after the Chargers cut Neal a few years ago.

seshdoggy
09-01-2011, 11:35 PM
Wow this is my first time on this board and I must say I am a little bit surprised at the lack of understanding of John Fox's system and the role of the fullback. A lot of you seem to have serious opinions without the knowledge base to back them up. In Fox's system fullbacks aren't smash blocker, their job is to chip block and get a piece to misdirect to create lanes for the halfbacks. It makes it look like blocks are missed if you are looking at as a conventional north south smash mouth system which it is not. Before ya'll hate, get your facts straight.

MileHiWildcat
09-01-2011, 11:55 PM
Webber > Quinn

Ziggy
09-02-2011, 04:24 PM
Here's my first vote for Spencer Larsen's replacement.

http://www.azcardinals.com/photos-videos/videos/Reagan-Mauia---Wired/8e13a4b9-0050-4c2b-b82d-a898d0d2024e

Cut today by the Cardinals.

Buff
09-02-2011, 04:29 PM
Wow this is my first time on this board and I must say I am a little bit surprised at the lack of understanding of John Fox's system and the role of the fullback. A lot of you seem to have serious opinions without the knowledge base to back them up. In Fox's system fullbacks aren't smash blocker, their job is to chip block and get a piece to misdirect to create lanes for the halfbacks. It makes it look like blocks are missed if you are looking at as a conventional north south smash mouth system which it is not. Before ya'll hate, get your facts straight.

I'd re-register and aim for a better first post.

BeefStew25
09-02-2011, 04:51 PM

So if Larsen is cut, will you never come back?

dogfish
09-02-2011, 04:52 PM
come on guys, take it easy on mrs. larsen, she's new around here. . . .

BroncoNut
09-07-2011, 02:38 PM

what is a chip block? bump and go or something? Seems pretty preposterous in any system for a lead blocker.

anyway, welcome aboard. And i don't have Larsen