PDA

View Full Version : Good article on Cutlers performance yesterday

Spiritguy
12-01-2008, 04:34 PM
http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/200...by_denver.html (http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2008/11/new_york_jets_beaten_by_denver.html)

Denver Broncos cool off hot New York Jets, 34-17
by Dave Hutchinson/The Star-Ledger
Sunday November 30, 2008, 11:22 PM

The Jets had a front-row seat to see the player being touted as the NFL's newest gunslinger -- Broncos co****re quarterback Jay Cutler. They can attest to the accuracy of the hype.

In a steady, freezing rain Sunday at the Meadowlands, the next Brett Favre bested the current one as Cutler carved up the Jets' suspect secondary throughout a 34-17 Denver victory that, at least for the moment, will put a damper on Super Bowl-frenzied talk involving the Jets.

Cutler made plays in and out of the pocket, completing an assortment of short, quick-hitting screens to his wide receivers and medium-range completions to his tight ends. He connected on 27 of 43 passes for 357 yards, two touchdowns and an interception and a 94.8 passer rating. His sixth 300-yard game of the season was at least partly the product of a Jets' pass rush that didn't come close to the nimble-footed Cutler.

"I thought he played well," Favre said following the Jets' first loss since mid-October. "These were tough conditions. I told him after the game he played outstanding. He was the better man tonight."

Cutler so frustrated the Jets' secondary that normally talkative safety Kerry Rhodes refused to discuss him, muttering: "I don't like him. I don't want to talk about him. Any other questions?"

Meantime, Favre completed 23 of 43 passes for 247 yards, no touchdowns and an interception. He had a 60.9 passer rating.

Adding to the complete breakdown by the Jets was a career game by rookie fullback-turned-featured back Peyton Hillis, a one-time fifth-stringer on the Broncos' depth chart, who rumbled for 129 yards and a touchdown on 22 carries -- the first 100-yard rusher against the Jets this season.

Denver brought the Jets back down after a five-game winning streak had lifted them to the top of the AFC East. The Jets (8-4) didn't lose that standing -- they still hold a one-game lead in the AFC East over the Patriots (7-5) and the Dolphins (7-5) -- but are reeling this morning as they turn their attention to Sunday's game at San Francisco.

Coach Eric Mangini was as upset as he had been in recent memory following a loss. He said he wasn't pleased with the Jets' week of practice and lamented his team's mistakes; the Broncos (7-5) turned two turnovers into 14 points.

"I was really disappointed with the way we played," a stone-faced Mangini said. "We have established a certain way we play and we played nothing like that today."

The players, however, insisted they were ready for the Broncos and weren't still basking in the glow of their recent success.

"We knew what was at hand," right tackle Damien Woody said. "Give them credit. They played a good game. It didn't have anything to do with us overlooking the Broncos. It's tough dropping this one at home but we have to regroup."

Although running back Thomas Jones rushed for 138 yards and two touchdowns on just 16 carries (8.6-yard average), the offense never got in sync and couldn't sustain drives. The Jets were just 3 of 11 in third-down situations.

Defensively, the Jets allowed a whopping 484 yards total offense, 316 yards in the first half.

Cutler found receivers at will. Four receivers had five catches or more. And as has been the case all season, tight ends hurt the Jets as Tony Scheffler (seven catches for 90 yards) and Daniel Graham (6 catches for 59 yards) inflicted major damage in big spots.

"He (Cutler) didn't surprise us," defensive end C.J. Mosley said. "That's Cutler. He makes all the right decisions, all the right throws, all the right moves. He did his job. We didn't do ours."

The Broncos' big plays -- Eddie Royal caught a 59-yard touchdown -- and ability to capitalize on the Jets' mistakes helped build a 27-14 halftime lead. A fumble by Jerricho Cotchery on an end-around ended up in the hands of Denver safety Vernon Fox, who ran the ball in for a 23-yard touchdown. The Broncos later turned a Favre interception into a 1-yard touchdown run by Hillis.

Surprisingly, Hillis repeatedly found holes in the Jets defense. Broncos veteran center, 35-year-old Casey Wiegmann (6-2, 285 pounds), had shocking success against Jets massive nose tackle Kris Jenkins (6-4, 360 points).

The Jets might have lost the game when they failed to convert on a third-and-1 and fourth-and-1 on the opening drive of the second half. Oddly, the Jets tried to throw twice against the Denver's 27th-ranked run defense.

Trailing 27-17, the Broncos put the game away when Cutler hit Brandon Stokley for a 36-yard touchdown over safety Abram Elam to give Denver a 34-17 lead with 9:26 left to play.

"We got outplayed," Favre said. "We had plenty of opportunities. It wasn't like we played our best football and we just lost."

Spiritguy
12-01-2008, 04:35 PM
Here's an interesting comment I found while reading this article.

This is why they didn't run the ball on the 3rd and 4th downs. Of the 16 carries Thomas Jones had, 5 went for 10 or more yards and accounted for 125 of his 138 yards. 2 went for between 3 and 9 yards and accounted for 7 yards. The remaining 9 runs accounted for 6 yards. So on more than 50% of the runs he got less than a yard on average. Those are worse odds than Favres 53% completion ratio.

broncofaninfla
12-01-2008, 04:41 PM
Great stuff, thanks!

NightTrainLayne
12-01-2008, 05:13 PM
A couple of thoughts:

1. I listened to the game on radio as I was travelling. Dave Logan mentioned more than once that Cutler says he loves to throw a wet ball, and play in inclement conditions. .. if this is the result I am looking forward to the December/January games. If we can still throw it when other teams (Favre) struggle we will be better for it. . .I like that thought.

2. Again, from the radio coverage, Dave Logan made it apparent that Cutler was jawing with the Jets and C.J. Moseley's (edit: replace Moseley with Rhodes) comment above reinforces that. Once again I hope Cutler isn't getting too big for his britches. I didn't like all the trash talk from Phyllis Rivers, and I don't like it any better coming from Cutler. Just get in there and do your job, and let the scoreboard do your trash-talking.

MOtorboat
12-01-2008, 05:23 PM
2. Again, from the radio coverage, Dave Logan made it apparent that Cutler was jawing with the Jets and C.J. Moseley's comment above reinforces that. Once again I hope Cutler isn't getting too big for his britches. I didn't like all the trash talk from Phyllis Rivers, and I don't like it any better coming from Cutler. Just get in there and do your job, and let the scoreboard do your trash-talking.

That's what worried me about the quote in the story...

shank
12-01-2008, 05:45 PM
2. Again, from the radio coverage, Dave Logan made it apparent that Cutler was jawing with the Jets and C.J. Moseley's comment above reinforces that. Once again I hope Cutler isn't getting too big for his britches. I didn't like all the trash talk from Phyllis Rivers, and I don't like it any better coming from Cutler. Just get in there and do your job, and let the scoreboard do your trash-talking.

not disagreeing, but how does moseley's quote make it sound like jay was trash talking?

NightTrainLayne
12-01-2008, 05:48 PM
not disagreeing, but how does moseley's quote make it sound like jay was trash talking?

Sorry, I grabbed the wrong name. Rhodes is who I was referring to.

Cutler so frustrated the Jets' secondary that normally talkative safety Kerry Rhodes refused to discuss him, muttering: "I don't like him. I don't want to talk about him. Any other questions?"

MOtorboat
12-01-2008, 05:50 PM

The first sentence.

"I don't like him."

It wasn't, "he's really good," or "he played good today," it was "I don't like him."

That's exactly the same words Cutler used himself when asked about Rivers this summer.

Edit: I'm in the same boat as NTL, wrong player.

Northman
12-01-2008, 06:08 PM
A couple of thoughts:

1. I listened to the game on radio as I was travelling. Dave Logan mentioned more than once that Cutler says he loves to throw a wet ball, and play in inclement conditions. ..

Wouldnt surprise me, remember Brunell a couple of years ago in Denver? Although we won the game he had a FANTASTIC game and evidently that wasnt the first time he had a big game with a wet ball. Must be easier to grip for him and Jay.

shank
12-01-2008, 06:08 PM
i watched the game and didn't see jay initiating any 'conversations' but we all know that if other players talk to him, he doesn't usually back down. i don't think rhodes' comment had anything to do with jay's talking, but more about how he played against them... but i could be wrong.

Northman
12-01-2008, 06:09 PM
i watched the game and didn't see jay initiating any 'conversations' but we all know that if other players talk to him, he doesn't usually back down. i don't think rhodes' comment had anything to do with jay's talking, but more about how he played against them... but i could be wrong.

I watched it too and never saw Jay jawing with anyone. Doesnt mean it didnt happen but usually the cameramen and commentators hone in on that kind of thing, especially with Jay's history.

roomemp
12-01-2008, 06:17 PM
A couple of thoughts:

1. I listened to the game on radio as I was travelling. Dave Logan mentioned more than once that Cutler says he loves to throw a wet ball, and play in inclement conditions. .. if this is the result I am looking forward to the December/January games. If we can still throw it when other teams (Favre) struggle we will be better for it. . .I like that thought.

2. Again, from the radio coverage, Dave Logan made it apparent that Cutler was jawing with the Jets and C.J. Moseley's (edit: replace Moseley with Rhodes) comment above reinforces that. Once again I hope Cutler isn't getting too big for his britches. I didn't like all the trash talk from Phyllis Rivers, and I don't like it any better coming from Cutler. Just get in there and do your job, and let the scoreboard do your trash-talking.

I don't mind some jawing. |Its part of the game. Remember when Farve use to have his little run ins with Warren Sapp. There is a big difference between jawing and tounting. Phillip Rivers was taunting Cutler last year.

elsid13
12-01-2008, 06:25 PM
I'm going with the Larry Bird line that went something like this "Want to stop me from talking, shut me down. And I plan to be talking a lot today"

Hobe
12-01-2008, 06:25 PM
A couple of thoughts:

Cutler's talking wasn't Phyllis-esk. He wasn't flapping his gums from the sidelines. I didn't see him talking that much and mostly only when some someone was getting in his face. It was more the type where a d-lineman is mouthing off while walking back to his huddle after be blocked out of the play for the thirtieth time in a row.

MHCBill
12-01-2008, 06:29 PM
The first sentence.

"I don't like him."

It wasn't, "he's really good," or "he played good today," it was "I don't like him."

That's exactly the same words Cutler used himself when asked about Rivers this summer.

Edit: I'm in the same boat as NTL, wrong player.So freakin' what!!! Cutler probably doesn't like Rhodes.

It's funny reading so many people on here just constantly dissing Cutler and the Broncos. Go root for the Chefs MB.

MOtorboat
12-01-2008, 06:30 PM
So freakin' what!!! Cutler probably doesn't like Rhodes.

It's funny reading so many people on here just constantly dissing Cutler and the Broncos. Go root for the Chefs MB.

So I'm dissing Cutler because I'd prefer him to keep his yap shut?

Gotcha.

How quickly people forgot that Raiders game. That shit was inexcusable. Did you know we'd be the Division Champs right now if we'd have beat the Raiders or the Chiefs, a 3-9 team and a 2-10 team? Collectively they have five wins, and two of those five wins are against the Broncos.

MHCBill
12-01-2008, 06:32 PM
When exactly did you see him running his yap?

Because Kerry Rhodes said he doesn't like him you figured he's running his yap. Way to support your players.

There are some on here with major orange tinted glasses and there are some who just like to knock Bronco players off their pedastal. I know which camp you're in.

MOtorboat
12-01-2008, 06:35 PM
When exactly did you see him running his yap?

Because Kerry Rhodes said he doesn't like him you figured he's running his yap. Way to support your players.

There are some on here with major orange tinted glasses and there are some who just like to knock Bronco players off their pedastal. I know which camp you're in.

I don't know what you're ******* beef is? I haven't seen you in weeks, and you bitch at me because I'd prefer our young quarterback keep his mouth shut...

Apparently you have some sort of sick obsession with badmouthing me.

Amazing really.

elsid13
12-01-2008, 06:56 PM
talking shit is part of being competitive and human.

Northman
12-01-2008, 07:02 PM
Yea, i used to talk shit to my agent Elsid all the time.

elsid13
12-01-2008, 07:17 PM
Yea, i used to talk shit to my agent Elsid all the time.

Another satisfied client. BTW pay up bitch, music videos aren't cheap

jrelway
12-01-2008, 07:29 PM
cutlers a competitor and likes to talk from what we see. whatever floats his boat so long as we win. screw what the jets defensive players or player said. if he doesnt want cutler to talk smack, stop him.

BroncoWave
12-01-2008, 07:57 PM
Some of you must have never played football because on the field, smack talking happens ALL THE TIME! It's called competitive nature. If you have a problem with Cutler doing it than you ought to have a problem with pretty much every player in the league.

BeefStew25
12-01-2008, 08:05 PM
I don't know what you're ******* beef is?

You keep my name out of your mouth, you sawed off little Napoleon.

Day1BroncoFan
12-01-2008, 08:45 PM
As long as it is just the normal stuff then fine. When it gets to be cry me a rivers like then keep it shut. :D

MOtorboat
12-01-2008, 08:46 PM
You keep my name out of your mouth, you sawed off little Napoleon.

Your name is "Bief," not "Beef," you European Sasquatch.

gobroncsnv
12-01-2008, 09:39 PM
Your mother was a hamster, and your father stank of elderberries...

Zweems56
12-01-2008, 09:54 PM
The stench of vagina is thick in the air...

TXBRONC
12-01-2008, 10:38 PM
I watched it too and never saw Jay jawing with anyone. Doesnt mean it didnt happen but usually the cameramen and commentators hone in on that kind of thing, especially with Jay's history.

Same here I watched the entire game and I didn't see Jay jawing with anyone either.

Elway never backed down either, he never initiated the smack but he wasn't afraid to dish out.

TXBRONC
12-01-2008, 10:45 PM
I don't know what you're ******* beef is? I haven't seen you in weeks, and you bitch at me because I'd prefer our young quarterback keep his mouth shut...

Apparently you have some sort of sick obsession with badmouthing me.

Amazing really.

MB I saw nothing in the game that indicated that Jay was jawing with Jets players. It sounds to me like Rhodes was ticked off because Cutler was carving up their secondary like a Thanksgiving turkey.

MOtorboat
12-01-2008, 10:48 PM
MB I saw nothing in the game that indicated that Jay was jawing with Jets players. It sounds to me like Rhodes was ticked off because Cutler was carving up their secondary like a Thanksgiving turkey.

And I believe you.

I did not see the game, and some certain people took my comments, as well as NTL's to an extreme.

I, personally, would prefer him to keep his mouth shut. If he did, then I commend him, if he didn't, then different story.

However, it doesn't make me less of a fan if I don't support him in everything he does and says.

TXBRONC
12-01-2008, 10:58 PM
And I believe you.

I did not see the game, and some certain people took my comments, as well as NTL's to an extreme.

I, personally, would prefer him to keep his mouth shut. If he did, then I commend him, if he didn't, then different story.

However, it doesn't make me less of a fan if I don't support him in everything he does and says.

I don't want Jay acting like Felicia Rivers but I also don't mind him standing up for himself either if guy is going to get up in his grill.

MOtorboat
12-01-2008, 10:59 PM
I don't want Jay acting like Felicia Rivers but I also don't mind him standing up for himself either if guy is going to get up in his grill.

Agreed.

NightTrainLayne
12-01-2008, 11:57 PM
I haven't watched the game yet, just listened on the Sirius radio broadcast from Denver.

Dave Logan made a couple of comments about Jay jawing at the Jets, and one in particular led me to believe that after the offense had left the field after a 3rd down, that Jay was on the field jawing at the Jets defenders. .. I have no idea if that is accurate or not.

I don't mind some talking, but the way Logan presented it, it appeared to be a little over the top. If not, then great. My earlier comment specifically stated that I didn't like it when Rivers did what he did, and I would prefer to see Cutler not make the same mistake. If he didn't, then wonderful.

OrangeStar7
12-02-2008, 05:14 AM

IMO, there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with trash talk, IF the one talking can back it up with his ACTIONS!! Then, like the old saying goes, it's "No brag, just FACT!!":salute: