PDA

View Full Version : Is the defense changing anyones mind about the # of wins in 2011?

Agent of Orange
08-28-2011, 10:01 AM
The VonDoom show was impressive and has been generating a lot of buzz. Having two guys like that can definitely be a game changer provided it translates to the regular season. But the speed they play at makes it seem like it likely will translate. They're just so much faster than the guys blocking them and that won't change in the regular season.

Anyway, Im just curious to know if the defense is changing anyone's mind about what the defense will be this year?

I know there are a lot of people who will want to remain pessimistic so that they'll be surprised. Others will be negative in order to not jinx it. But be honest with yourselves. Can you honestly say that you don't feel a lot better about his defense than in years past?

Tned
08-28-2011, 10:05 AM
No, because it's similar to what I was thinking. It's where I expected the biggest improvement, and why I think we can win 6-9 games, even with a BRUTAL schedule, and possibly make a bush for a playoff spot. It's an uphill battle, because of the schedule more than anything, but the defense will hopefully keep us in a lot of games.

Agent of Orange
08-28-2011, 10:21 AM
No, because it's similar to what I was thinking. It's where I expected the biggest improvement, and why I think we can win 6-9 games, even with a BRUTAL schedule, and possibly make a bush for a playoff spot. It's an uphill battle, because of the schedule more than anything, but the defense will hopefully keep us in a lot of games.

I agree with everything you said. I still say the biggest question is whether we can run with success consistently. If we can do that, the pass rush becomes a bigger factor. There will be teams like Oakland who will try to win by running against us. If we can run better against them than they do against us, theyll start to pass more.

But I agree with your range of wins but I'd say 6-10 wins. I think it more likely be 7-9.

Krugan
08-28-2011, 10:23 AM
Im not sold yet.

Its preseason for 1, look at the quality of the olines they have been up against and temper it.

That being said, it is nice to see the D play above the level of comp., which they havent done in ages.

Agent of Orange
08-28-2011, 10:25 AM
Im not sold yet.

Its preseason for 1, look at the quality of the olines they have been up against and temper it.
That being said, it is nice to see the D play above the level of comp., which they havent done in ages.

Like I said in the beginning. I don't think there's a RT in the league who can handle Von's speed. It's been that drastic.

HORSEPOWER 56
08-28-2011, 10:37 AM
No, for one reason... I'm still not convinced that they'll get the type of support from the offense that they need. The defense can't do it all and although they look like they're playing fast, with intensity right now, the offense has to help them out by putting points on the board and sustaining drives for them to catch their breath.

Until the offense can do that, how many wins we will get is suspect. Remember, essentially this is the same offense that took the field last year... the one that normally scored 20 or less PPG. Just because we'll probably be improved in the run game, doesn't always translate into more PPG. We lost the game where we had our best rushing performance last year (@ KC). We need balance, but we also need consistency.

Agent of Orange
08-28-2011, 10:43 AM
No, for one reason... I'm still not convinced that they'll get the type of support from the offense that they need. The defense can't do it all and although they look like they're playing fast, with intensity right now, the offense has to help them out by putting points on the board and sustaining drives for them to catch their breath.

Until the offense can do that, how many wins we will get is suspect. Remember, essentially this is the same offense that took the field last year... the one that normally scored 20 or less PPG. Just because we'll probably be improved in the run game, doesn't always translate into more PPG. We lost the game where we had our best rushing performance last year (@ KC). We need balance, but we also need consistency.

You're not willing to admit that better pass rush often translates to more easy points? I agree that being able to run the ball is still the major factor but the pass rush is really eye opening. It can be a game changer in a lot of games.

PAINTERDAVE
It is very encouraging for the future...

Injuries will take a toll on this team, however..
in that we are not deep at all.

I like our starters on D...

but we need to scour the waiver wire after cut downs

for backup help on the o-line as well as the d-line.

Mays looked tough... Nate has got to go.

Our chances for wins... have not moved.
The team could very well win early...
since no one has film on us...
(Similar to when Josh started )

but once the league gets some film to study..
injuries occour...
and the schedule toughens up...
I think we are headed for starvation at the end of the year.

Ziggy
This is not the same offense as last season HP. This team will be much more balanced with an emphasis on the run when it's working. That's no where near what the offense was last season.

Krplboy
08-28-2011, 10:50 AM
I feel confident we won't be trading tds for fgs with this defense.

BroncoJoe
08-28-2011, 10:50 AM
I don't get why everyone is so down on Irving. He's making rookie mistakes, but I also see a lot of talent. Once he gets the scheme down, he's going to be good. Really good.

SmilinAssasSin27
08-28-2011, 10:51 AM
No...I expected the D to be a LOT better, and my opinion is simply being supported. Now a LOT better also doesn't mean top 10. It was pretty abd last year. We had to improve based on Elvis being healthy and a playmaker in the draft alone. Add to that the switch back to a more stable 4-3 and some solid additions via draft and FA and the D WILL be better.

Agent of Orange
08-28-2011, 10:53 AM
I don't get why everyone is so down on Irving. He's making rookie mistakes, but I also see a lot of talent. Once he gets the scheme down, he's going to be good. Really good.

Not sure what this is about but if its a response to the comment about Nate having to go, I think they were talking about Nate Jones, not Nate Irving.

BroncoJoe
08-28-2011, 10:55 AM
Not sure what this is about but if its a response to the comment about Nate having to go, I think they were talking about Nate Jones, not Nate Irving.

Oh. Well then, nevermind.

I've seen others talk about Irving in a negative way, so I guess I shouldn't ass-u-me.

HORSEPOWER 56
08-28-2011, 10:56 AM
This is not the same offense as last season HP. This team will be much more balanced with an emphasis on the run when it's working. That's no where near what the offense was last season.

I meant personnel wise. Can our offensive line truly move the pile on 3rd and short and get 1st downs? They didn't do well vs the Seahawks last night. Can they score points in the redzone? Yet to be seen. I've seen Orton look good in preseason, but I've also seen him look terrible in the RZ like he did vs Dallas. The first drive he looked truly in control of the offense last night wasn't until the 3rd quarter. Much like last season, we're still starting slow on offense and not scoring TDs on opening drives.

If we keep starting slowly, especially if our offense has several 3 and outs, our defense with their "attacking" style will wear down quickly. We still haven't proven we can stop the run in one of the most run-heavy divisions in the NFL, either.

HORSEPOWER 56
08-28-2011, 10:58 AM
Oh. Well then, nevermind.

I've seen others talk about Irving in a negative way, so I guess I shouldn't ass-u-me.

I was confused also because Dave lumped Mays and then "Nate" in the same sentence thereby grouping a MLB with a CB who has the same name as our rookie MLB prospect... :beer:

Agent of Orange
08-28-2011, 11:07 AM
Besides VonDoom, here are some other things that I feel good about where the defense is concerned:

Joe Mays has played way better than I thought. The rep on him was that he was too slow to play in the 4-3 in Philly but he has played fast during the preseason. Hopefully that continues.

Rahim Moore didnt jump off the screen last night but thats because the pass rush usually didnt even allow it. I think he has shown better physicality than I expected and has been well accepted by the vets and has been a willing listener. Im super excited about Moore. His skills as a ballhawk can be especially useful with this pass rush.

I think moving Champ to the nickel was a brilliant move. We discussed this in another thread yesterday so I wont belabor it here.

Depth at LB is another thing that Im pleased with. Mays is playing like he wants to start, which is good. I think down the road Ingram could be the guy though. Either way, its nice to have someone like Ingram and Woodyard waiting to get their chance.

Bunkley has been much better than I was expecting. I hope he's OK.

I think what we get from Dawkins, DJ, and Goodman is solid. Last year, that was one of the best things about the defense. This year, it seems like that might be a mere footnote.

silkamilkamonico
08-28-2011, 11:08 AM
If the defense can stay improved, yes. The offense hasn't been the major problem with this team, it's the defense. Offense has a lot of holes, like they can't score TD's in the redzone, but they have never had an issue with possession or moving the ball in between the 20's.

Say what you want about our bad offense, but we are hardly one of the league's worst, and we aren't some 3 and out offense that tires our god forsaken defense down.

Agent of Orange
08-28-2011, 11:10 AM
If the defense can stay improved, yes. The offense hasn't been the major problem with this team, it's the defense. Offense has a lot of holes, like they can't score TD's in the redzone, but they have never had an issue with possession or moving the ball in between the 20's.

Say what you want about our bad offense, but we are hardly one of the league's worst, and we aren't some 3 and out offense that tires our god forsaken defense down.

Thats actually not true. There were plenty of three and outs with minimal running.

Northman
08-28-2011, 11:28 AM
As to the topic for right now, no.

This is still just preseason and the gameplans are vanilla for the opposing offenses. Secondly, our own offensive production isnt stellar and if we struggle like we did last night its going to put more pressure on the defense to try and carry the load. Without the kind of depth we need to carry out such a task the defense will simply get worn out not only in games but down the stretch like we have seen in the past. Last night alone we saw two guys in DJ and Bunkley go down and its only the third preseason game.

Bottom line is we will get a true picture after about 3 regular season games in terms of whether or not we have guys that can step up when injured players go down and if they have the stamina to remain strong when the offense isnt scoring points. Tned pointed it out last night that we did a great job on a terrible Seattle QB in the first half yet we never took advantage of it offensively.

spikerman
08-28-2011, 12:01 PM
I would have to say "no" because I still think the Broncos are very weak at DT which will keep a lot of teams from having to worry about 3rd and long very often. The defense is obviously much better overall, but the lack of DTs and, what still seems to be an offense that struggles to score touchdowns, concerns me.

Ravage!!!
08-28-2011, 12:06 PM
Not until we see what happens in a real game.

silkamilkamonico
08-28-2011, 12:10 PM
Thats actually not true. There were plenty of three and outs with minimal running.

Along with that minimal running came an above average offense statistically, a top 7 passing game in terms of being able to move the ball, and a meager 0.8 points per game below the league average.

Again, people can complain about our flawed offense all they want, but lets not sit here and pretend our offense is some completely inept 3 and out machine that can't move the ball at all. We were better statistically on offense in total yards, and points per game, than Tampa Bay, Chicago, Cincinatti, Seattle, San Fransisco, Washington, Arizona, Carolina, St Louis, Buffalo, Minnesota, Miami, and Cleveland.

tomjonesrocks
08-28-2011, 12:26 PM
No.

The team is facing vanilla offenses and is still vastly inferior talent-wise to the large majority of the NFL.

This is going to be another year of some brutal ass-kickings. Maybe a couple years down the road...

Denver Native (Carol)
08-28-2011, 12:51 PM
Yes - So far, my opinion in regards to the defense, is that it has vastly improved from last year. Hopefully, they can avoid long-term injuries.

Also, there were some who were totally upset with the Broncos' selecting Von Miller with their #1 pick. For those who were upset, has that changed, or would you still have preferred that the Broncos would have used that pick on some other player? IMO, after seeing Von so far, the Broncos made the right pick.

For those who missed the following last night, when I posted it in the gameday thread:

Vern Lundquist and Alfred Williams said they had talked with Coach Fox earlier in the week in regards to the defense, and Coach Fox stated that he calls the defense - "his NASCAR defense".

spikerman
08-28-2011, 01:13 PM
Yes - So far, my opinion in regards to the defense, is that it has vastly improved from last year. Hopefully, they can avoid long-term injuries.

Also, there were some who were totally upset with the Broncos' selecting Von Miller with their #1 pick. For those who were upset, has that changed, or would you still have preferred that the Broncos would have used that pick on some other player? IMO, after seeing Von so far, the Broncos made the right pick.

For those who missed the following last night, when I posted it in the gameday thread:

Vern Lundquist and Alfred Williams said they had talked with Coach Fox earlier in the week in regards to the defense, and Coach Fox stated that he calls the defense - "his NASCAR defense".

Carol, I'm one of those who didn't like the pick. It wasn't that I didn't think Miller had the potential to be a great player, I just felt like Denver had bigger needs and the players to fill those needs were available. Besides, the Broncos had Dumervil coming back and wasn't Ayers supposed to add to the pass rush?

That being said, I'm very happy with what Miller has done so far. I still think Denver will ultimately pay a price for not placing a high enough priority on run stopping DTs, but I have been impressed with the pick and I'm definitely not as unhappy about it as I was on draft day.

Nomad
08-28-2011, 01:15 PM
Carol, I'm one of those who didn't like the pick. It wasn't that I didn't think Miller had the potential to be a great player, I just felt like Denver had bigger needs and the players to fill those needs were available. Besides, the Broncos had Dumervil coming back and wasn't Ayers supposed to add to the pass rush?

That being said, I'm very happy with what Miller has done so far. I still think Denver will ultimately pay a price for not placing a high enough priority on run stopping DTs, but I have been impressed with the pick and I'm definitely not as unhappy about it as I was on draft day.

Right on spiker! BRONCOS didn't need another NASCAR......they needed a couple MACK trucks!;)

Slick
08-28-2011, 01:32 PM
Doing more than paying lip service to a run game should help this defense out.

Fox and Allen are instant improvements on what we had: A healthy Dumervil, Von looks like a player, Champ being moved around is an idea i like...

I say we're a .500 ball club when last year I predicted 5 wins.

OrangeHoof
08-28-2011, 01:38 PM
Let's see some better competition before we get too excited. The Cowboys (with their best players seeing just the first quarter)? Meh. The Bills? Meh. The Seaturkeys? Yawn.

With the possible exception of the Raiders, every offense in our division is better than these guys. Stop a few good teams, and I'll change my tune.

Slick
08-28-2011, 01:40 PM
way to go out on a limb orange hoof.

DenBronx
08-28-2011, 03:36 PM
I think we will be ALOT better than last year. We didnt have Doom last year and that hurt us bad on D. Now we don't just have him back but we have Miller coming from the other side. It's going to confuse the heck out of offenses and I can see these two guys spiking the sack total this year.

Add that to new scheme, new DC, good yound safety, Bailey going to the nickle and I think we will be a very good defense.

So yes they are changing my mind. I think we could get 7-8 wins where as before I was thinking 5-7.

SpringsBroncoFan
08-28-2011, 03:36 PM
Yes, with the realization that Miller really was the best player in the draft and with what Fox is doing with his "Nascar" defense. Not sure how Nate Irving fits with the Nascar defense so I'm hoping that picking Irving over Sione Fua won't bite us in the ass.

I was in the minority here who would have been happy with just one DT being drafted. I get Miller over Dareus & Fairley and I get Moore & Carter over Jenkins but it will take awhile for the jury to come in on whether Irving over Fua was the right move.

Northman
08-28-2011, 03:42 PM
Irving will be good. Kid just needs some time.

BroncoWave
08-28-2011, 04:01 PM
Not really. I thought we were going to hover around 8 wins regardless and now I feel even better about it. I think we could even be in the hunt for the playoffs.

Lancane
08-28-2011, 04:34 PM
Not really...

While I admit that the defense is improving and we have some solid players at key positions, we still lack talent in others and that could be what hurts the defense in the end. Fox's defenses are 'Bend Don't Break', and while we don't need superior talent at all positions, in some we are downright suspect and let's hope that we don't incur an injury epidemic while we are at it. I am rather thrilled about Miller, Doom, Moore and Bailey - those four players are the cornerstone pieces of the defense right now, the loss of any one of them could seriously set us back. Williams, Dawkins and Goodman are the seedy veterans who bolster the defense, while they make us better, I don't see the loss of any of the three as being devastating the way the other four would be. We'll struggle against the run at times, and if we can force an offense to have to beat us through the air, that's where we'll be the most dangerous because Fox's forte is rushing the passer and physical pass defense.

I believe the defense will keep us in most games, but can the offense do the same? I agree with Silk, the offense isn't horrid, but it's far from great. I think we'll have some close games, but I also see several games that I don't believe we stand a chance of winning, not at the state we're currently in.

Therefor I am sticking with six wins, and it could go either way by one at best, so possibly seven.

Canmore
08-28-2011, 05:04 PM
Not really...

While I admit that the defense is improving and we have some solid players at key positions, we still lack talent in others and that could be what hurts the defense in the end. Fox's defenses are 'Bend Don't Break', and while we don't need superior talent at all positions, in some we are downright suspect and let's hope that we don't incur an injury epidemic while we are at it. I am rather thrilled about Miller, Doom, Moore and Bailey - those four players are the cornerstone pieces of the defense right now, the loss of any one of them could seriously set us back. Williams, Dawkins and Goodman are the seedy veterans who bolster the defense, while they make us better, I don't see the loss of any of the three as being devastating the way the other four would be. We'll struggle against the run at times, and if we can force an offense to have to beat us through the air, that's where we'll be the most dangerous because Fox's forte is rushing the passer and physical pass defense.

I believe the defense will keep us in most games, but can the offense do the same? I agree with Silk, the offense isn't horrid, but it's far from great. I think we'll have some close games, but I also see several games that I don't believe we stand a chance of winning, not at the state we're currently in.

Therefor I am sticking with six wins, and it could go either way by one at best, so possibly seven.

Nice analysis. I have stated that we are a six win team since the lockout. I was leaning toward five, but the play of the defense in preseason has tempered that. I know it's just Buffalo and Seattle, and there worse than us, but still, if anything I would be leaning toward seven. At least I'm excited to see the regular season, not dreading it.

Were not a good football team and we are a couple of key injuries away from being horrid. I'll stand by six wins. Love to see the Broncos prove me wrong, in a good way.

jhildebrand
08-28-2011, 07:26 PM
Anyway, Im just curious to know if the defense is changing anyone's mind about what the defense will be this year?

Nope. Because in consecutive weeks it has been Buffalo and Seattle. Seattle has O line issues. Buffalo had an 8 minute opening drive which included several salty runs. Our run D will be improved but it will still be a problem.

I am on record of 4-6 wins and still think that will be the case.

Agent of Orange
08-28-2011, 09:28 PM

Did he also say what "Nascar defense" means?

threefolddead
08-29-2011, 02:07 AM
I look at it like this and keeping the thought in mind that it's only preseason play. Gotta see what we are better and worse at. For the D they look far better. They are tackling with good angles and at the right height. Pressure is being ramped up and making the secondary's job easier. We are also getting the run stopped with the guys up front which is a pleasant surprise. On offense we still have Kyle so we gotta see how that shakes out. Our run game looks much improved and I really like Moreno this year. He has far better vision and is quicker to the hole and down field. That coupled with Mcghee, it will open up the pass game for Orton and maybe thats just what we need. O-line is given a great pocket most plays. Granted all this was against some pretty awful teams it was impressive. I certainly am a lot more hopeful for this year based one what I've seen. We are a lot more TECHNICALLY improved and for me thats where it starts.
The backups are awful though. Lets stay healthy.

Davii
08-29-2011, 02:26 AM
While I won't put a win number out there I am pleased with the progress. I expected a better team than we saw last year, and they certainly haven't disappointed. The overall D seems much improved, the run stopping is still worrisome, but better. I felt we were improved on D before preseason games, and feel they have shown more improvement than I expected. If w can get some DT help on the waiver wire I think we'll be a damn stout D.

Here's hoping Doom and Von are in the running for comeback player and ROY respectively.

Watchthemiddle
08-29-2011, 02:54 AM
Defense wins championships

:coffee:

Lancane
08-29-2011, 03:30 AM

I would say that the offense is just as responsible for many of those same said championships!
;)

HORSEPOWER 56
08-29-2011, 06:10 AM

That all depends on who your QB is. :D

Tned
08-29-2011, 07:41 AM
While I won't put a win number out there I am pleased with the progress. I expected a better team than we saw last year, and they certainly haven't disappointed. The overall D seems much improved, the run stopping is still worrisome, but better. I felt we were improved on D before preseason games, and feel they have shown more improvement than I expected. If w can get some DT help on the waiver wire I think we'll be a damn stout D.

Here's hoping Doom and Von are in the running for comeback player and ROY respectively.

It is always difficult to predict a win total, because so much changes in the the NFL each year and there are so many unpredictable factors (Stokely immaculate deflection in '09, Goodman's PI against the Jets last year). In the Broncos case this year, added to the difficulty of being in a rebuilding period, they have what on paper (based on last year) is the 3rd hardest schedule in the NFL (at least that's what Mr. Elway stated).

Based on what we have seen in preseason (which is dangerous to judge the team on), I believe the team will be competitive in most games, whcih is much different than winning those games.

I think that the defense will keep us in most games, but I have seen nothing to convince me that our 3rd down and RZ performance will be greatly improved. If we are not much better at 3rd downs and RZ, and eating up the clock when we have a lead, that puts an incredible amount of pressure on the defense. I'm not sure they're that good.

Tned
08-29-2011, 07:43 AM

Does it? I know that's been the mantra in the past, but I wonder if it's still the case. I haven't really looked. I'm heading to work, so don't have time to check, but since the "greatest show on turf," and I guess maybe even the Broncos back to back, I wonder where the SB winners have ranked in defense. Some, like Pitt and Baltimore have definitely been defensive juggernauts, but I'm not sure where the Pats teams, Rams team, Colts team, etc. have ranked.

G_Money
08-29-2011, 09:32 AM
The defense isn't changing my mind because I expected to be a pass-rushing D just based on Doom coming back, drafting Von Miller and starting the year with a (hopefully) healthy DB corps.

I agree with the assessment that we're not deep along either LOS, so an injury or two up front can derail the season quickly. I thought we would be a 6-7 win team just based on the attitude adjustment that comes with not thinking your head coach is a ridiculous tool who's in way over his head.

I still believe that. The only way that number goes up IMO is if we can stop the run - and I believe that's a "wait til next year" fix. I've already seen the upper limits of what a great pass D can do when it can't stop the run. Nolan's was very illustrative. I expect to have similar problems in the middle this year that we'll have to clean up in next year's draft and FA.

That's okay - I don't mind a multi-year strategy. I kind of prefer it. But it's hard to pin your ears back and rush the passer if they're ahead and they can run the ball at will. We'll look good against teams that can't run and allow us to pressure the QB, and bad against teams that can ram it down our throats. Let's solve the scoring problem and the rush-defense problem - especially inside our own division with its running powerhouses - and then we'll talk about wins. I wouldn't call either problem solved yet.

~G

TXBRONC
08-29-2011, 09:58 AM
From what I've seen they look like they will be improved and will be competitive but I don't know how that will effect the win total. As it pointed out earlier how are we going to do on 3rd downs and the red zone?

Mike
08-29-2011, 10:00 AM

I am in the same camp. This year was going to be a rebuilding year and I honestly expected a much worse product than what I have seen in the preseason. Granted the opponents were weak, but, considering the steaming pile that McD left us with, they are in Denver's class.

I don't know what the w/l will be this year, but I believe the team will be competitive. As long as that is the case and I see improvement from week to week, I will be satisfied with Elway and Fox and will be hopeful going into the draft.

Royal19
08-29-2011, 10:37 AM
While our secondary needs to step it up this season to compliment VonDoom, I think a lot will depend on the ability of our DTs.

Mike
08-29-2011, 10:56 AM
While our secondary needs to step it up this season to compliment VonDoom, I think a lot will depend on the ability of our DTs.

We're doomed.

BroncoNut
08-29-2011, 11:17 AM

i can't disagree with this more

BroncoNut
08-29-2011, 11:46 AM
I liked what I saw in the Seattle game (just saw it yesterday, I was in jail last week). Von Miller looked real good and so did Vickerson. Of course Dumerville was great too. I like the pressure the team produced.

BroncoNut
08-29-2011, 11:46 AM

I was going to say something to that effect.

BroncoWave
08-29-2011, 11:47 AM

The 98 Broncos, 99 Rams, 06 Colts, 09 Saints, and 10 Packers say hi!

Ziggy
08-29-2011, 11:59 AM
The 98 Broncos, 99 Rams, 06 Colts, 09 Saints, and 10 Packers say hi!

The 2010 Packers gave up the 2nd fewest points in the NFL defensively. Great defense, with a very good offense to compliment them.

Reidman
08-29-2011, 01:13 PM
I've been telling people for a months about our "bookends"....lol!

Miller and Doom are going to absolutely wreak havoc on QB's this year..(that sounds like a law firm :lol:)

Now what worries me more than anything is our run defense...if we don't get guys healthy, and back in a timely fashion, we may be helping to pad NFL run stats...

threefolddead
08-29-2011, 05:39 PM
Did he also say what "Nascar defense" means?

It was something that Fox called some defensive looks because he needed everything to go fast.

Agent of Orange
08-29-2011, 07:42 PM
Along with that minimal running came an above average offense statistically, a top 7 passing game in terms of being able to move the ball, and a meager 0.8 points per game below the league average.

Again, people can complain about our flawed offense all they want, but lets not sit here and pretend our offense is some completely inept 3 and out machine that can't move the ball at all. We were better statistically on offense in total yards, and points per game, than Tampa Bay, Chicago, Cincinatti, Seattle, San Fransisco, Washington, Arizona, Carolina, St Louis, Buffalo, Minnesota, Miami, and Cleveland.

A lot of the yards are meaningless...at least they have been under Orton. If you look at our offense last year, if we had actually had a good defense, our offense would have been far less productive. The offense produced a lot more when games were out of hand.

NightTerror218
08-29-2011, 07:45 PM
Miami....um no they suck....they might draft Luck kinda suck
Buffalo....still lacking but getting better.
Bengals....rookie QB in week 2 and lost they main receivers and breaking in a new one
Titans....well they have no Chris Johnson right now and Hasselbeck sucked against our horribly ranked defense last time he faced Bailey.
Minnesota....with McNabb I think they can take us with AP, but they lost a lot of players over the offseason and i think we can take them
Detroit.....all depends on who is the QB....Staffard? We lose, not staffard we can win.
AFC WEST.....split...win all home, lose all away, always a fight
Packers.....owned
Bears...... owned
Jets........ they will squeak by but have better defense
Pats..... Brady sucks against us, 1-7 record

So 8-8, 9-7 if we win pats

Bengals are getting better, Titans are average to below average, buffalo is below average, Miami below average, and NFC North is very good division.

Posted this on different thread....seems more appropriate here

sneakers
08-30-2011, 12:12 AM
Do we have the seabags on the schedule for 16 games this year????

Canmore
08-30-2011, 12:16 AM

We can only wish. Heck I would take Seattle for half and Buffalo for half. How's that sound?

Ravage!!!
08-30-2011, 07:54 AM

I'll disagree with this, for sure. We are an offense that is TERRIBLE on 3rd downs and does put our defense on the field.

MOtorboat
08-30-2011, 08:03 AM
I'll disagree with this, for sure. We were an offense that was TERRIBLE on 3rd downs and did put our defense on the field last year.

Fixed it for you. :welcome:

Ravage!!!
08-30-2011, 08:05 AM
Fixed it for you. :welcome:

Fair enough. I guess we'll have to see if we have fixed that problem. :beer:

TXBRONC
08-30-2011, 08:17 AM

No but neither do we have the Patriots or the Jets for 16 games.

TXBRONC
08-30-2011, 08:36 AM
We're doomed.

I see us being a lot better on defense than we were last season even though we don't have an elite defensive tackles. We can't rank any worse than 32 on defense but with a defensive minded head coach I have hard time seeing us being that bad unless we're devastated by injuries. I think they we'll be somewhere around the middle.

BigDaddyBronco
08-30-2011, 09:16 AM
I see us being a lot better on defense than we were last season even though we don't have an elite defensive tackles. We can't rank any worse than 32 on defense but with a defensive minded head coach I have hard time seeing us being that bad unless we're devastated by injuries. I think they we'll be somewhere around the middle.

I'm thinking top 10 passing defense, and bottom 5 rushing defense. Overall defense will be somewhere in the middle.

If we have any significant injuries on the pass rush or secondary (starting CB's) it will hurt the pass defense big time, on rush defense we are already beat up.

TXBRONC
08-30-2011, 10:04 AM
I'm thinking top 10 passing defense, and bottom 5 rushing defense. Overall defense will be somewhere in the middle.

If we have any significant injuries on the pass rush or secondary (starting CB's) it will hurt the pass defense big time, on rush defense we are already beat up.

That sounds do able.

That said if our run defense is to soft it can also effect how we able our pass defense.

BigDaddyBronco
08-30-2011, 10:11 AM
That sounds do able.

That said if our run defense is to soft it can also effect how we able our pass defense.

True, but a lot of teams are predominately passing teams. Unfortunately, we have 4 games against rush heavy teams in Oakland and KC and probably half the other games are against well balanced offenses.

Nomad
08-30-2011, 10:25 AM
True, but a lot of teams are predominately passing teams. Unfortunately, we have 4 games against rush heavy teams in Oakland and KC and probably half the other games are against well balanced offenses.

Oakland is a good first test for the BRONCOS. While the pass rush looks promising, hopefully the defense is not just one dimensional and teams abandon the pass because they can run all over the BRONCOS.

I would assume the BRONCOS are next to the dumbster waiting for teams to unload their trash or unwanted players.

BigDaddyBronco
08-30-2011, 11:02 AM
Oakland is a good first test for the BRONCOS. While the pass rush looks promising, hopefully the defense is not just one dimensional and teams abandon the pass because they can run all over the BRONCOS.

I would assume the BRONCOS are next to the dumbster waiting for teams to unload their trash or unwanted players.

If they can't slow down Oaklands running game it will be a good indication of things to come. If they can't stop the run they will need to get ahead of teams in the first half and hold on to win.

Nomad
08-30-2011, 11:08 AM
If they can't slow down Oaklands running game it will be a good indication of things to come. If they can't stop the run they will need to get ahead of teams in the first half and hold on to win.

That's a tall order within itself!:lol:

Yeah, I don't know which game I'm anticipating more......LSU/Oregon or BRONCOS/Raiders.

BigDaddyBronco
08-30-2011, 11:12 AM
That's a tall order within itself!:lol:

Yeah, I don't know which game I'm anticipating more......LSU/Oregon or BRONCOS/Raiders.

LSU not having their QB, it might not be as good of a game as it was suppossed to be. I'll still watch, I work with an LSU grad, it might be fun to watch him walk in Tuesday morning.

Northman
08-30-2011, 11:15 AM
Thats a tall order for LSU off the bat.

Nomad
08-30-2011, 11:38 AM
LSU not having their QB, it might not be as good of a game as it was suppossed to be. I'll still watch, I work with an LSU grad, it might be fun to watch him walk in Tuesday morning.

Thats a tall order for LSU off the bat.

Jarret Lee SUCKS!!! The defense and run game will have to carry them, hopefully it'll be enough.