PDA

View Full Version : Wiegmann at center of Broncos' surge to top of AFC West

LordTrychon
12-01-2008, 10:00 AM
Didn't see this posted... good read...

The Denver Broncos are going to win the AFC West partly because the rest of the division stinks and partly because their head coach knows how to pick an offensive lineman.

I'm not talking about rookie tackle Ryan Clady. I'm talking about veteran center Casey Wiegmann, who in Sunday's 34-17 rout of the New York Jets did what nobody believed he -- or almost anyone, for that matter -- could, which was to handle Kris Jenkins.

Jenkins is the Jets' nose tackle, but he's more, much more, than that. He has been playing at such a high level lately that there's an early push to anoint him -- and not Tennessee's Albert Haynesworth or Miami's Joey Porter or Pittsburgh's James Harrison -- the league's Defensive Player of the Year.

But that push turned into a shove Sunday, with Wiegmann doing the shoving. He controlled Jenkins when left alone with him, which was virtually every rushing play, and he controlled him when he had help, which was virtually every passing down.

Result: Jenkins was no factor, reduced to nothing more than three assisted tackles.

Wiegmann wanted to credit the coaching staff for its game plan, and that's fine. But look what he was up against: At 6-feet-2, 285 pounds, officially he yields 64 pounds to the 6-feet-4 Jenkins, and unofficially he yields probably closer to 100. Yet he handled the big guy on almost every snap.

Oh, sure, there was an occasional hiccup, but what do you expect when you're trying to move one of the Adirondacks? Wiegmann was nothing short of remarkable, and while it shocked me it didn't surprise his head coach.

That, of course, would be Mike Shanahan, who jumped at the chance to sign Wiegmann when Kansas City released him prior to this season. At the time the Broncos had a healthy Tom Nalen, but Shanahan thought the opportunity to add someone of Wiegmann's stature was too good to pass up.

Because he acted on his convictions the Broncos produced a third straight road victory and moved three games ahead of San Diego in the AFC West race -- if you can call it that -- with four contests left.

"When he was available," Shanahan said, "I said, 'I can't believe Casey Wiegmann is on the street.' We'd been going against him every year, and I thought he was the nuts and bolts to Kansas City's offensive line. They had some great players, but I always thought he was the one who made it go.

"He kept them together and was an outstanding player, and that's why I said, 'Hey, we got to get this guy.' It was the smartest thing we've ever done."

The proof was in Denver's dissection of a Jets team that had been on a five-game roll. Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler wasn't sacked while throwing 43 times for 357 yards, and rookie Peyton Hillis -- a converted fullback turned running back -- ran over, around and through the Jets' defense for a career-high 129 yards.

That wasn't supposed to happen, not with Kris Jenkins anchoring the middle of a defensive line that was active and effective most of this season. But never underestimate Wiegmann. He was part of an outstanding offensive line in Kansas City, and he refuses to sit down -- with his 123-game streak the longest among the NFL's active centers and third longest among all active NFL offensive linemen.

"The key," Wiegmann said of playing Jenkins, "is that you can't give an inch. You have to fight him and fight him and fight him. He's so big and strong you have to do everything you possibly can. He got me on a couple of plays where he bull-rushed me, but he's almost 100 pounds heavier. You just have to do what you can."

What the Broncos did was dominate their opponent from beginning to end. Yes, Brett Favre was dreadful. Yes, the Jets' play-calling was bizarre. Yes, the club seemed to suffer an emotional hangover after last weekend's defeat of Tennessee.

But it was hard to ignore what was happening up front, which is that Kris Jenkins got his butt kicked by a 35-year-old center cast out by Kansas City's youth movement.

"It's a challenge every play against him," Wiegmann said. "He doesn't really wear you down. He just gets on you mentally because when you block him one-on-one you worry what he's going to do if he bull-rushes you.

"He's a good athlete, so it's tough. I mean, he's definitely an All-Pro. But you have to fight him every play and not give an inch. If he's going to make a play on you, you can't say, 'Uh-oh, he's going to do it again to me.' You just keep fighting, get in his face and keep going at him."

That's easy for Wiegmann to say, but imagine trying to stare down someone who outweighs you by 70, 80 or 90 pounds. That was the job, and Wiegmann stood up to it again, again and again. But, then, that's what Shanahan envisioned when he made a push for the guy.

"He's been playing like that all year," he said.

This was supposed to be different because this was Kris Friggin' Jenkins, for crying out loud, and his team that was going to the Gotham Bowl -- the first all New York Super Bowl. Yeah, sure, and the San Diego Chargers still aren't out of the AFC West picture.

"Casey's a great player," said guard Ben Hamilton, who helped hold off Jenkins on passing downs. "We took into account -- especially on passing plays -- where (Jenkins) would be at all times. Watching him on film the last couple of weeks he's always making plays and disrupting team offenses, so he was definitely a factor in our game play.

"But, as one of the smaller centers, Casey has great technique. This was definitely a challenge for him being one-on-one with Jenkins, and he did a great job."

The Denver Broncos are going to the playoffs, and do yourself a favor next time someone asks you why: Don't forget about Casey Wiegmann. Shanahan didn't, and it's made a difference in Denver's unexpected climb to the top.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/11143072

DallasChief
12-01-2008, 10:08 AM
I'd bang Casey's wife.

broncofaninfla
12-01-2008, 10:42 AM
Good read, thanks!
Casey Wiegmann has been solid all year long, really stood out this game. Great addition to the team.

Shazam!
12-01-2008, 10:58 AM
Great read and thanks.

I was happy Denver got him with Nalen's age and mileage a factor and that he was banged up last year too. Nalen's out of time in my opinion, and this was a great insurance policy while his successor is groomed by yet another experienced, cagey veteran. Denver's OL play has been great this season.

Tom Nalen for OL Coach in the future.

WARHORSE
12-01-2008, 01:30 PM
I'd bang Casey's wife.

No offense DC, but I think you got that one backwards. Casey would bang your wife. Then buy her a new car to make her go away.;) J/K

To be honest, I couldnt believe it, and still cant believe that KC let Wiegman go.

Thanks CARL..............you dolt.:coffee:

topscribe
12-01-2008, 01:44 PM
Thank you, Kansas City Chiefs, for throwing Casey under the bus.

Casey thanks you, too . . .

-----

gobroncsnv
12-01-2008, 09:58 PM
Our whole Oline is perhaps the most unsung in league history. Certainly, Jay gets credit for keeping plays alive with sensing/avoiding pressure, but as often as we throw, with as few sacks as we've allowed, this line is just INSANE!!!!! With a line as light as ours, usually, most of the trouble would come from up the middle. Both Harris and Clady just ride their guys to the outside, but if we had a large push from the tackle spots, that would just back Cutler right to the spot where Clady and Harris keep the DE's at bay. Kudos to all 5. Not enough can be said about the entire oline this year. AND WE GOT 129 for Hillis against a really good run D!!!! BONUS POINTS!!!!