PDA

View Full Version : Is Peyton Hillis our starting tailback beyond this year?

dogfish
11-30-2008, 08:10 PM
what do you think?

poll coming. . . .

Rex
11-30-2008, 08:12 PM
Is everyone drunk?

Italianmobstr7
11-30-2008, 08:14 PM
Nope. I'm sober. I also wouldn't mind. Hillis has been a man-child out there. Fighting for extra yards and making big play after big play. I'm not totally for Hillis being our future RB, or totally against it.

Requiem / The Dagda
11-30-2008, 08:16 PM
No. Peyton Hillis is an absolutely fantastic young football player with loads of potential, but I think it'd be ignorant of the Broncos to assume he's the be-all-end-all at the position. Not that a rookie back (highly drafted) would be either, but I think Peyton can be a great member of this team and contribute at a high level from the fullback position. Heck, even as a spell back. Why not? I just don't want him to be the main guy.

Rex
11-30-2008, 08:17 PM
Nope. I'm sober. I also wouldn't mind. Hillis has been a man-child out there. Fighting for extra yards and making big play after big play. I'm not totally for Hillis being our future RB, or totally against it.

Oh Geez on a stick Mobstr.

Man-child? You mean like Terrell Davis or Clinton Portis?

I am happy about Peyton Hillis getting 100 yards/game, but there is a reason Denver is throwing the ball 50/times a game in driving rain storms.

:shocked:

dogfish
11-30-2008, 08:17 PM
No. Peyton Hillis is an absolutely fantastic young football player with loads of potential, but I think it'd be ignorant of the Broncos to assume he's the be-all-end-all at the position. Not that a rookie back (highly drafted) would be either, but I think Peyton can be a great member of this team and contribute at a high level from the fullback position. Heck, even as a spell back. Why not? I just don't want him to be the main guy.

racist. . . . :coffee:

Timmy!
11-30-2008, 08:18 PM
I would honestly say no. Hillis has done a great job, but he's just not the homerun threat we need. I'd love to see him get around 6-8 carries a game once we get a legit back. He's reliable, he covers up the ball (sometimes too soon) and doesn't fumble. BUT, he's a true FB in an almost Howard Griffith mold. He can block and has great hands. Giving him the rock sometimes is fine, but he's not a feature back. Let the guy get 6 carries and 2-3 catches a game and keep him semi fresh for the whole year. I love this kid. I'm getting a Hillis jersey for Christmas, but a feature back he is not.

Northman
11-30-2008, 08:18 PM
I still want a true RB and keep Hillis at FB. Best of both worlds if we can get a Blue Chipper. Or, get LT in the offseason since he is no longer enamored with SD. lmao

Requiem / The Dagda
11-30-2008, 08:20 PM
racist. . . . :coffee:

Hey, I always thought Bobby Humphrey was white because of NFL QB Club 1996 and always benched his ass for Terrell Davis.

So you're right Dog. RACIST! :D

Rex
11-30-2008, 08:21 PM
Hey Dream....I got your back.

Hillis is white.

Count em up and get back to me.

Timmy!
11-30-2008, 08:21 PM
Hillis: Mike Alstott with better hands and speed.

And that's a pretty sweet thing :)

Rex
11-30-2008, 08:23 PM
Hillis: Mike Alstott with better hands and speed.

And that's a pretty sweet thing :)

Great.

Now find Warrick Dunn to go along with him.

He could be the new fantasy "sleeper".

Nomad
11-30-2008, 08:31 PM
He's doing the job and I see our needs to be focused elsewhere, like defense!

Rex
11-30-2008, 08:34 PM
Denver's safeties have got to be the WORST in the history of the NFL.

Yes. Worst.

I would still draft a RB.

Italianmobstr7
11-30-2008, 08:37 PM

I am happy about Peyton Hillis getting 100 yards/game, but there is a reason Denver is throwing the ball 50/times a game in driving rain storms.

I mean like breaking the first tackle almost every time. Driving through arm tackles. Not going down on first contact. Converting big 3rd downs, or getting first downs when we need them most to salt away a game, or to keep a drive alive. Hillis has been an awesome RB for us. I don't believe that he should just be the starter, but he's better than ANYONE that we currently have. After the year either move him back to FB, or let him run in RBBC with someone we pick up.

yardog
11-30-2008, 08:39 PM
Great.

Now find Warrick Dunn to go along with him.

He could be the new fantasy "sleeper".

Anthony Alridge might be or Dunn cswil.

Rex
11-30-2008, 08:40 PM
Anthony Alridge might be or Dunn cswil.

Yeah. I forgot about him.

But seriously. The running 'scheme' has made several guys look 'legit' in Denver.....*cough* Selvin Young. Hillis has been great..but I dont think he is a realistic starter, long term.

Requiem / The Dagda
11-30-2008, 08:40 PM
FWIW, Hillis was the first player to rush against the Jets for 100 yards this season. Good for him.

Timmy!
11-30-2008, 08:45 PM
Denver's safeties have got to be the WORST in the history of the NFL.

Yes. Worst.

I would still draft a RB.

Yes.

And Noooooo.

:D

Slick
11-30-2008, 08:45 PM
I voted blue chipper and Hillis af FB. He's versatile, and could pass block if we weren't in a two TE set. He complimented Jones and McFadden so well at Arkansas. Why can't we try that in Denver? I would.

underrated29
11-30-2008, 08:46 PM
Nah, i dont want him as our feature back. I like him too much as a FB. Plus i like torain, and was somehwat impressed with pope on his 2 plays.

But atleast shanny is remembering that a strong powerful back is what we need and not a speedster.

ex. td,portis,droughns, anderson-worked.

bell,griffin smaller faster backs-not so much.

That being said, i am not sure about torains speed, but alridge should be that balance.

So- i like hillis, love his style of play. Its exactly what i have been saying the broncos needed here. But I think someone a little smaller but faster (torian, someone else) would be better off as our feature back. Would i complain if hillis was our back, NO. But its not what imo is best for the team.

lex
11-30-2008, 08:58 PM
We should give him like 15-25 carries and draft someone like Spiller or Murray to give the offense some extra explosiveness. But, yeah, Hillis has been productive enough to justify seeing him as a legit RB.

I think some of the people who have a hard time accepting this, might be caught up on the fact that he's a white guy. Fear mot. Riggins comparisons are not totally out of line.

Slick
11-30-2008, 09:23 PM
I disagree Lex. We're past that. I see names and numbers not skin color, and I think that goes for most of us. He is an outstanding FB who has bailed us out by his versatility. Let's get a stud RB, not necessarily this year. I think it's obvious we need way more help on the other side of the ball.

I sure wouldn't bitch if we wound up with Spiller though

elsid13
11-30-2008, 10:03 PM
Hillis had good game, but he isn't a feature back in the league. Eventual DC are going to realize that he can only run dives and start stacking the defense accordingly. Hillis isn't fast enough to run the stretch which is the key play for Denver. Without the threat of effective stretch play most of the PA and rollout s(staples of the Denver offense) are not available.

DenverBronkHoes
11-30-2008, 10:33 PM
definately not a starter type.... he's a good role player who makes plays... Honestly.. id like to see him catch and run with the ball more... He has a nice head of steam when he makes a catch from the flats....

no doubt he is doing it for us right now and we should stick with it this season

TXBRONC
11-30-2008, 11:19 PM

Against the Jets it wasn't because we couldn't run the ball it was because the Jets secondary is as weak as ours.

I don't know if Hillis is a long term answer, but I do like what I have seen from him.

lex
12-01-2008, 12:32 AM
Nah, i dont want him as our feature back. I like him too much as a FB. Plus i like torain, and was somehwat impressed with pope on his 2 plays.

But atleast shanny is remembering that a strong powerful back is what we need and not a speedster.

ex. td,portis,droughns, anderson-worked.

bell,griffin smaller faster backs-not so much.

That being said, i am not sure about torains speed, but alridge should be that balance.

So- i like hillis, love his style of play. Its exactly what i have been saying the broncos needed here. But I think someone a little smaller but faster (torian, someone else) would be better off as our feature back. Would i complain if hillis was our back, NO. But its not what imo is best for the team.

Youve got to be kidding! Portis was fast. LOL. Griffin was quicker than fast.

topscribe
12-01-2008, 12:42 AM
We should give him like 15-25 carries and draft someone like Spiller or Murray to give the offense some extra explosiveness. But, yeah, Hillis has been productive enough to justify seeing him as a legit RB.

I think some of the people who have a hard time accepting this, might be caught up on the fact that he's a white guy. Fear mot. Riggins comparisons are not totally out of line.

Riggins, Alstott, Csonka, Kiick . . . all big white guys whose specialty was
trampling defenders. And then there were Jim Brown and Jerome Bettis
(although they weren't white. :laugh: ) And let's not forget Christian Okoye,
who ran into Atwater on is way to the goal line one day. :lol:

BTW, what Csonka had was Mercury Morris . . . a tandem who helped to
put Bob Griese in the HOF. So you might have something there. Of course,
the Broncos have a stable of pretty fast guys, but if none of them work
out, then perhaps the Broncos could draft one, yes. But I would like for
them to view what they have a bit more closely because they need all the
picks they can get for defensive players.

-----

Superchop 7
12-01-2008, 12:58 AM
Named after Walter Peyton (Imagine that those with prejudice and yes, it's true)

Played with a hip pointer today 22-129, I'll take that any day, took guts.

Hawgdriver
12-01-2008, 01:11 AM
Hillis has the attitude and intangibles. He can run in this system. He's downhill, elusive enough, breaks arm tackles, small enough to get lost behind blockers, and has his head on straight. Hits the crease with outstanding power and surprising agility. He won't get you too many TFLs, and he has power to push the pile for positive gain. He's got excellent hands. He's a quality pass protection guy. You never know what you get when you draft a guy, but Hillis is a gem, and while not a burner, adds value in so many facets of the game that he's a solid starter. As with everything else, time will tell, but so far he's taken to the NFL like Royal and Clady. The game isn't too big for him.

lex
12-01-2008, 01:46 AM

-----

No. What they need to do is fix the biggest problem and replace Slowik. Then before they overdraft defense because of Slowiks reverse synergy, they should see what they need when there is someone more competent than Slowik in the fold. Im pretty sure we need S help but beyond that, its hard to say what is a need and what is a victim of Slowiks scheming.

fcspikeit
12-01-2008, 02:22 AM
I love watching him bull guys over! But it would be nice if we had a quick back that could go the distance to go with him. We may have that on our roster already?

We really don't know how good Torain is and next year we will have Aldrige (SP?) healthy.

I wouldn't mind seeing him at FB but I think we should give him the ball 8 - 15 times a game. We could do that regardless. I just don't want to see him strictly at FB. We don't use a FB in our offense much. Either way, FB or HB, we need him on the field making plays and getting us the tuff yards.

topscribe
12-01-2008, 03:09 AM

It's called Jets being the 27th ranked pass defense, and the passing game
was very successful in a driving rain storm, and the Broncos won the game
going away. That's why. It wasn't Hillis, who got his 129 yards against one
of the best rush defenses in football . . .

-----

BANJOPICKER1
12-01-2008, 03:11 AM
I really like the power back, plowing through the line.:salute:

GOOOOOOOOO BRONCOS!!!:beer:

Simple Jaded
12-01-2008, 04:56 AM
Hillis became Denver's most talented back the second he was drafted, but sooner or later I hope they'll upgrade and use him in a PowerBack role similar to Brandon Jacobs when the Giants had What'sHisTeeth.

I've been thinking of a DeMarco Murray/Peyton Hillis back field for a few weeks now.......

Dreadnought
12-01-2008, 06:48 AM

-----

Right, harkening back to the days of the Pro Set offense, where Halfback and Fullback split carries pretty evenly. I have wished for a long time to see an ability to do that again, but with the changes to the game over the past two decades I don't really know if its possible anymore. I do know I hate the concept of a single "featured back" handle nearly all of the load 100%, and am a total believer in RBBC. Does that mean you can keep two of that "committee" on the field at the same time? Dunno, but i like the idea of the confusion and misdirection you can generate by lining up a pair of honest to God runners in the same backfield.

Rex
12-01-2008, 08:12 AM
It's called Jets being the 27th ranked pass defense, and the passing game
was very successful in a driving rain storm, and the Broncos won the game
going away. That's why. It wasn't Hillis, who got his 129 yards against one
of the best rush defenses in football . . .

-----

Sorry old man.

They abandoned the running game last week too.

Hell if you wanna crown him, crown his ass. He is who I thought he was.

roomemp
12-01-2008, 08:26 AM
I would say Hillis should be our new power back. Every team needs 2 running backs now a days and I think he is our power back of the future. Not sure at this point I want him back at fullback. Remember, he lost a couple starts to Larsen this year. Shanny was quoted as saying he needs to improve his blocking. I say keep him as our power back and draft or pickup another fullback.

broncofaninfla
12-01-2008, 09:15 AM
My take is it would be best to use Hillis like Tampa used Allstot expect involve him more in the passing game. He brings the power running game and would be a perfect set up for a good change of pace RB to compliment him.

DenBronx
12-01-2008, 01:34 PM
i have a man crush on hillis.

and why not give torain and alridge one more year? but let hillis start.

topscribe
12-01-2008, 01:51 PM
Sorry old man.

They abandoned the running game last week too.

Hell if you wanna crown him, crown his ass. He is who I thought he was.

Please don't twist my words.

I am not crowning Hillis as anything at this time. :tsk:

-----

Rex
12-01-2008, 01:52 PM
Please don't twist my words.

I am not crowning Hillis as anything at this time. :tsk:

-----

SO you COMPLETELY missed the Dennis Green joke.

You need a protein shake or something.

G_Money
12-01-2008, 02:02 PM
Hillis is exactly what I thought he was at Arkansas – under-rated as a RB, with great hands, powerful drive, and a decent blocker to boot. He’s perfect for us – assuming we go back to a monster RBBC.

He’s a really big Mike Anderson. Defenses are gonna HATE getting hit by him. They already do, actually. :D

He has zero wiggle – none. He’ll evade someone who is standing in front of him about as often as Boss Bailey makes it through a season without getting injured. But I don’t care about that. I care about ball security and short-yardage. So far, so good. The fumble was on Jay, and Hillis just pounds the rock. If he loses yardage on a play, then some other RB would have lost more yardage. He’s outstanding on pitch plays and sweeps, and in the flat, and straight ahead.

But I still want another running back to share the load, and not force Hillis to try to do it all if we don't have to. Maybe we won’t need the other back. But as the Chargers are finding out it is always nicer to have a Turner backing up your main back (and in a perfect world I'd like Hillis to be the compliment, not the main course). And with our experience with two-headed monsters in the backfield, I don’t mind it – as long as they’re the right two heads.

Selvin Young and Travis Henry? Not the right two.

A Broncos version of Alstott and Dunn? Better, much better…

And I don’t even need a “Thunder and Lightning” combo either. We have Hall and Alridge on the roster already. There’s some lightning from the backfield if we want to employ it. Home run threat? JAY is the home-run threat. Having to single-cover our wide receivers because Hillis and whoever are just KILLING YOU up front is plenty enough home-run threat for me.

I want as many RBs as I can get who can get tough first downs and hit holes like the holes stole money from their mommas. Guys with “good-enough” speed and the heart for the tough runs, not guys who fall down at first contact.

There are those guys in this draft, and I would add one to the team even with my love for Hillis. Go get me Donald Brown from UConn as a RB, and we’re golden.

~G

OB
12-01-2008, 02:27 PM
I was impressed yesterday but that was only the second game i got to watch so there is no way to make a legit opinion based on a single game performance - although i dont see him as a viable RB but possible a long term FB for us if he continues to play like he did yesterday

Does anyone know if he was hurt on that last play?

underrated29
12-01-2008, 02:49 PM
Youve got to be kidding! Portis was fast. LOL. Griffin was quicker than fast.

PORTIS IS FAST!!!!

And he is also a complete back. There is not a complete back in the league that does not have speed and power. That is why they are the elite and complete backs.

Td was fast too.

Seriously lex, why dont you take the point i was making. The backs in our system that are strong and run with authority dominate. How about this instead.

Gary,anderson,pittman, droughns, that make you happy?

Guys without power and only speed- bell,griffin etc arent?

Savy.

We have missed this kind of back for two+ years now. And when we have one in our lineup our record shows how well they do for us.

Thnikkaman
12-01-2008, 04:02 PM
Not enough time to read through all the posts. I think he is the man till Torrain gets healthy and we get to see what he can do. Lets spend draft picks on safties and D Linemen, not another RB.

jrelway
12-01-2008, 04:04 PM
According to the Denver Post, Peyton Hillis is expected to remain the Broncos' primary tailback when Selvin Young (groin) returns.

Denver has catered its running scheme to suit Hillis' downhill style and he has favorable matchups the rest of the way (vs. KC, @ CAR, vs. BUF, @ SD). Young may steal some passing-game work, but Hillis will continue to be force fed on the goal line. He is averaging 4.8 YPC for the season and has five touchdowns since Week 9. Because of the schedule, Hillis is an every-week flex/RB2 during the fantasy playoffs. Dec. 1 - 3:04 pm et
Source: Denver Post

jrelway
12-01-2008, 04:07 PM
so much for selvin young. i think he damned himself with that 2000 yrds statement. to reach a 1000 is hard enough. reminds me of mike bell when he asked for the #30 jersey, thus damning himself.

Dreadnought
12-01-2008, 04:17 PM
so much for selvin young. i think he damned himself with that 2000 yrds statement. to reach a 1000 is hard enough. reminds me of mike bell when he asked for the #30 jersey, thus damning himself.

Well that and Hillis has looked far and away the best of our RB's this year. I like Selvin, but we are getting a bit of effective power running lately, something we had forgotten existed.

NightTrainLayne
12-01-2008, 04:20 PM
Well that and Hillis has looked far and away the best of our RB's this year. I like Selvin, but we are getting a bit of effective power running lately, something we had forgotten existed.

Hear, hear! I'll take Hillis' brand of 4-5 yard bruising run without much of a "homerun" threat, over a back with that "homerun" ability, but no tough yards. Hillis' brand of running is much more effective over the whole game. Selvin should be getting some tips from Tatum on post-NFL employment.

Dreadnought
12-01-2008, 04:22 PM
Hear, hear! I'll take Hillis' brand of 4-5 yard bruising run without much of a "homerun" threat, over a back with that "homerun" ability, but no tough yards. Hillis' brand of running is much more effective over the whole game. Selvin should be getting some tips from Tatum on post-NFL employment.

And three 19 yard runs worked in is pretty sweet too. Not technically "explosive" plays, but damned effective.

NightTrainLayne
12-01-2008, 04:25 PM
And three 19 yard runs worked in is pretty sweet too. Not technically "explosive" plays, but damned effective.

Only once in a while do you find someone like TD who can give you both. .. If they have to lack one or the other then I vote for the guy lacking the HR ability every time.

fcspikeit
12-01-2008, 04:31 PM

Just thinking about him running over LB's and S's puts a smile on my face :D

There is more to it then just getting yards too, there is a swagger about this offense when he is out there knocking guys on their backside. If we need 1 yard, all he needs is to do is hit the line of scrimmage standing and he will get that yard.

On one of the runs by Hillis where he ran over a Safety, my brothers boy said, he wouldn't do that to Polimoluo (They are Pitt fans) I said you bet your ass he would! Polimolue is smart enough to take his legs out from under him, if he took him head on, he would get laid out!..

How long has it been sense we could say that? I am loving the attitude he is giving our offense. :cool:

Dreadnought
12-01-2008, 04:40 PM
Just thinking about him running over LB's and S's puts a smile on my face :D

There is more to it then just getting yards too, there is a swagger about this offense when he is out there knocking guys on their backside. If we need 1 yard, all he needs is to do is hit the line of scrimmage standing and he will get that yard.

On one of the runs by Hillis where he ran over a Safety, my brothers boy said, he wouldn't do that to Polimoluo (They are Pitt fans) I said you bet your ass he would! Polimolue is smart enough to take his legs out from under him, if he took him head on, he would get laid out!..

How long has it been sense we could say that? I am loving the attitude he is giving our offense. :cool:

The Broncos have had some All-time Great running backs in their time, but never a punishing bruiser like this. I'm not ready to put him in the Ring of Fame yet, but we haven't had the like of Hillis before. Kind of nice!

fcspikeit
12-01-2008, 04:54 PM
The Broncos have had some All-time Great running backs in their time, but never a punishing bruiser like this. I'm not ready to put him in the Ring of Fame yet, but we haven't had the like of Hillis before. Kind of nice!

Your right, Not many teams have.

When you think of it, he is pretty special, He has great speed for a guy that size. On the one play he did a spin in the backfield and the defender completely missed.

We could really have something here... Way more then just a fill in. When you think about it, he even seems to run harder then most FB's. He also has way better feet then the average FB.

I have been hoping we would give him a shot all year. Even if we get a speed guy to go with him, we need to keep this kid on the field and continue to give him the ball.

G_Money
12-01-2008, 05:09 PM
Our red-zone and third-down issues the last couple of years are directly tied to RBs who can’t move a pile or break a tackle.

Hillis can do both. He’s also startlingly fast to the edge on pitch plays, surprising the LBs who should be out there but can’t get there fast enough. It also gives him the added benefit of a head of steam before he hits somebody, and no defender really wants that. He crushes cornerbacks, injures safeties, and knocks the breath out of DTs and LBs. For as long as he holds up he’s gonna be an absolute bruiser.

Mortensen was reading off his high school stats after the game (something like 2700 yards in his senior year) and I was thinking, “Duh! Would YOU want to tackle that guy when you’re a high school kid? I’d rather get punched in the face by Brock Lesnar.”

Some opposing defenders might start wishing for a Lesnar knuckle-sandwich too. I don't need Hillis to start, but I don't see why I'd marginalize his contributions either.

I’m not waiting on Torain, personally. Foot issues and a blown ACL = too many strikes for a guy with no track record. If Torain comes back and gives us a third back, great. But I’d draft one on the 2nd day anyway. We obviously need the help, and there should be a couple of 2nd day guys who would look great – and perform even better - in the Orange and Blue.

Right now if most of the guys on and around the roster was healthy we’d have Hillis, Hall, Young, Torain, Alridge, Bell, and Pittman as our assortment of backs.

Color me less than impressed, from both a durability and talent standpoint. With what happened this year, I’m not satisfied. Get another guy – and not one of the fast-but-fall-down guys either.

~G

lex
12-01-2008, 05:19 PM

Actually, its more like double and triple ability. If he really had HR ability, our red zone flaws wouldnt have been as glaring last year.

fcspikeit
12-01-2008, 05:21 PM
Our red-zone and third-down issues the last couple of years are directly tied to RBs who can’t move a pile or break a tackle.

Hillis can do both. He’s also startlingly fast to the edge on pitch plays, surprising the LBs who should be out there but can’t get there fast enough. It also gives him the added benefit of a head of steam before he hits somebody, and no defender really wants that. He crushes cornerbacks, injures safeties, and knocks the breath out of DTs and LBs. For as long as he holds up he’s gonna be an absolute bruiser.

Mortensen was reading off his high school stats after the game (something like 2700 yards in his senior year) and I was thinking, “Duh! Would YOU want to tackle that guy when you’re a high school kid? I’d rather get punched in the face by Brock Lesnar.”

Some opposing defenders might start wishing for a Lesnar knuckle-sandwich too. I don't need Hillis to start, but I don't see why I'd marginalize his contributions either.

I’m not waiting on Torain, personally. Foot issues and a blown ACL = too many strikes for a guy with no track record. If Torain comes back and gives us a third back, great. But I’d draft one on the 2nd day anyway. We obviously need the help, and there should be a couple of 2nd day guys who would look great – and perform even better - in the Orange and Blue.

Right now if most of the guys on and around the roster was healthy we’d have Hillis, Hall, Young, Torain, Alridge, Bell, and Pittman as our assortment of backs.

Color me less than impressed, from both a durability and talent standpoint. With what happened this year, I’m not satisfied. Get another guy – and not one of the fast-but-fall-down guys either.

~G

I wonder what we would have to give the Panthers for J Stew?

Seriously, they have Williams and don't really need him. Well, they don't need him to start anyways.

It is said, he would have been our second pick had Clady been taken. If he was worth a 1st last year, wouldn't he be worth a 1st this year?

Not saying we need a RB so bad we should trade our 1st pick. But do you think they would trade him for a 1st? If so, do you think Shanahan would make that trade?

DenBronx
12-01-2008, 05:57 PM
Not enough time to read through all the posts. I think he is the man till Torrain gets healthy and we get to see what he can do. Lets spend draft picks on safties and D Linemen, not another RB.

lol and there we're alot of guys wanting to go rb in round 1 this year. mendenhall was put on ir early in the year and stewart was ran down from behind and fumbled at the 2 yard line. :lol:

hillis has 5 tds since week 9 and stewart has 6. hillis is averaging 4.8 yards a carry and stewart is averaging 4.6.

anyone else glad we went with clady now?

Thnikkaman
12-01-2008, 07:11 PM
lol and there we're alot of guys wanting to go rb in round 1 this year. mendenhall was put on ir early in the year and stewart was ran down from behind and fumbled at the 2 yard line. :lol:

hillis has 5 tds since week 9 and stewart has 6. hillis is averaging 4.8 yards a carry and stewart is averaging 4.6.

anyone else glad we went with clady now?

I don't care if we get an RB on day two as G-Money suggested. We need some talent on the :defense:. I don't think we should fire Slowick at this point. I want to see what happens after we have a little stability. If he can't turn it around by this time 2010, I want his ass out of here.

Day1BroncoFan
12-01-2008, 09:01 PM
I'm not convinced. I'd like to see him play the rest of this year. If he can stay healthy and keep doing what he's doing at this point then maybe.

Hobe
12-01-2008, 09:27 PM
I'm not thinking Alstot or Csonka, Riggens or Bettis; I'm thinking bigger, a lot big. How about Franco Harris. College fullback drafted late. I think the best thing we can do is embrace the fact and start looking for a good lead blocker for him.

dogfish
12-02-2008, 01:29 AM
On whether FB Peyton Hillis is still "just a fullback"

"No, he has proven that he can play tailback and fullback. He is better with the ball in his hands at the tailback position running the football or catching the pass out of the backfield. He is going to get a chance to play more tailback because of what he has done and how he can break tackles. He also can play the fullback position which really gives us a lot of flexibility. I'm not sure, eventually, if he can't go out there and be a "tiger" or a tight end-type guy with that size. We could either line him up as a fullback or on the line of scrimmage -- a (Indianapolis TE) Dallas Clark-type of position."

- mike shanahan

TXBRONC
12-02-2008, 10:46 AM
On whether FB Peyton Hillis is still "just a fullback"

"No, he has proven that he can play tailback and fullback. He is better with the ball in his hands at the tailback position running the football or catching the pass out of the backfield. He is going to get a chance to play more tailback because of what he has done and how he can break tackles. He also can play the fullback position which really gives us a lot of flexibility. I'm not sure, eventually, if he can't go out there and be a "tiger" or a tight end-type guy with that size. We could either line him up as a fullback or on the line of scrimmage -- a (Indianapolis TE) Dallas Clark-type of position."

- mike shanahan

The guy was recruited as tailback and even though the Razorbacks had McFadden and Jones he still got some opportunities to play tailback in college. Besides that Arkansas felt he was good enough player to keep in the starting line up as fullback. The kids has talent.

Nick
12-02-2008, 12:22 PM
what do you think?

poll coming. . . .

Untill someone takes it from him. Then we can have him at full back.

Someone, is going to have a lot of work doing that...

fcspikeit
12-02-2008, 04:46 PM
Untill someone takes it from him. Then we can have him at full back.

Someone, is going to have a lot of work doing that...

Your right, IMO it is his job to lose now.. It wouldn't be fair to just take it from him after the way he has played. If no one can take it from him then he deserves to be our leading HB for this year and beyond..

bcbronc
12-02-2008, 06:25 PM
he's getting the job done right now, that's the important thing. whether he's the answer we've been looking for at HB since we traded Portis still remains to be seen. but he's shown enough that we can use our early draft picks on defense instead of running back. whether or not Hillis stays the feature back going into next season I don't know. but he'll definitely get his touches one way or the other. I like the idea of finding a "Dunn" to pair up with him, and bringing in a BIG FB to compliment Hillis's athleticism.

when's the last time we had a player post a 100 yard rushing game and a 100 yard recieving game in his rookie season?

Orange Habit
12-02-2008, 07:08 PM
Where's the option for "Let him compete for the job in 2009 training camp"?

Lonestar
12-02-2008, 07:38 PM
Where's the option for "Let him compete for the job in 2009 training camp"?

would guess your a new fan because it is always that way..

But unless he does something bad over the next few weeks he should be odds on favorite to be the Stud Buffalo mikey likes so much..

MOtorboat
12-02-2008, 07:54 PM
would guess your a new fan because it is always that way..

But unless he does something bad over the next few weeks he should be odds on favorite to be the Stud Buffalo mikey likes so much..

Lol...if I'm not mistaken, Mr. Orange is the former Green Habit from the Freak...a brilliant poster as it were...

Lonestar
12-02-2008, 08:07 PM
Lol...if I'm not mistaken, Mr. Orange is the former Green Habit from the Freak...a brilliant poster as it were...

never heard of him :laugh::laugh::laugh:

but thanks for the info..:salute:

lex
12-02-2008, 11:21 PM
PORTIS IS FAST!!!!

And he is also a complete back. There is not a complete back in the league that does not have speed and power. That is why they are the elite and complete backs.

Td was fast too.

Seriously lex, why dont you take the point i was making. The backs in our system that are strong and run with authority dominate. How about this instead.

Gary,anderson,pittman, droughns, that make you happy?

Guys without power and only speed- bell,griffin etc arent?

Savy.

We have missed this kind of back for two+ years now. And when we have one in our lineup our record shows how well they do for us.

No, youre still wrong. Gary was not exceptionally fast and he lasted, what, 1 season before getting hurt opening day of 2000. Droughns was kind of meh...we were settling big time with him. I wouldnt call him dominant by any stretch. He was ok but to say he was dominant is extreme hyperbole.

Youre also wrong on Bell. Bell had his moments. People forget that on the monday night game against the Ravens in 2006, he put his nose down and ran hard and he had 90 something yards at around 5 yards a carry but no long runs. Bell's problem was that he became too much of a shell of himself when he had minor dings that are normal throughout the season. Thats kind of a big problem but if not for that, he could have been ok.

Again, Griffin was quicker than he was fast.

Basically, the notion that there is not one particular kind of back who is best suited for Denver is bunk. We've had two great RBs and one of them was exceptionally fast.

underrated29
12-03-2008, 11:49 AM
No, youre still wrong. Gary was not exceptionally fast and he lasted, what, 1 season before getting hurt opening day of 2000. Droughns was kind of meh...we were settling big time with him. I wouldnt call him dominant by any stretch. He was ok but to say he was dominant is extreme hyperbole.

Youre also wrong on Bell. Bell had his moments. People forget that on the monday night game against the Ravens in 2006, he put his nose down and ran hard and he had 90 something yards at around 5 yards a carry but no long runs. Bell's problem was that he became too much of a shell of himself when he had minor dings that are normal throughout the season. Thats kind of a big problem but if not for that, he could have been ok.

Again, Griffin was quicker than he was fast.

Basically, the notion that there is not one particular kind of back who is best suited for Denver is bunk. We've had two great RBs and one of them was exceptionally fast.

Im not sure what you are saying or getting at here lex?

Gary is not fast, and I never said he was. I said he was an authoritive runner. Going off of memory here, he put up 1200+ yards here; Droughns in his 8 games as a starter put up 1200+ yards; anderson put up 1500 rookie year and 2-3 years ago put up 1k.

None of them are speed deamons. NONE! But they did dominate because they run with power.

Q- had what a good game against the cheifs, and..... what else. Fast or not, he did not and does not run with power, like the guys i have been mentioning.

Bell- almost had 1k yards when Anderson would tire out the opposing defenses. But he sucks. No power from him. Even detroit cut him. I could tackle him. Bell needs open space and wide open running lanes to be any good. The above players i keep mentioning dont. They will make their own path if one does not exist.

So back to my original post. We have long since needed a back that runs with POWER, instead of these silly speed backs to be our main guy. And thats why our running game has sucked for a while because all we have had is speed guys.

Lonestar
12-03-2008, 12:40 PM
Im not sure what you are saying or getting at here lex?

Gary is not fast, and I never said he was. I said he was an authoritive runner. Going off of memory here, he put up 1200+ yards here; Droughns in his 8 games as a starter put up 1200+ yards; anderson put up 1500 rookie year and 2-3 years ago put up 1k.

None of them are speed deamons. NONE! But they did dominate because they run with power.

Q- had what a good game against the cheifs, and..... what else. Fast or not, he did not and does not run with power, like the guys i have been mentioning.

Bell- almost had 1k yards when Anderson would tire out the opposing defenses. But he sucks. No power from him. Even detroit cut him. I could tackle him. Bell needs open space and wide open running lanes to be any good. The above players i keep mentioning dont. They will make their own path if one does not exist.

So back to my original post. We have long since needed a back that runs with POWER, instead of these silly speed backs to be our main guy. And thats why our running game has sucked for a while because all we have had is speed guys.

IMO the only two on the list that ran with power were MA and RD, Gary was more elusive that power and had a BIT more speed than MA and RD.

We do not need a poorti$$$$ speed type to have a great running game.. we need a guy that can get the 3rd and 2 or on 1st and ten, can get the 5-15 yards consistently..

I'd rather had a balanced attack that DC have to game plan for.. without spending a #1 choice on..

Since the RB slot is real hit or miss and the life expectancy there is 4 years or less why waste a top pick every third year there for an additional 200 yards or so each year from one back..

Or what I like to say, the "take might be able it to the house every time they touch the ball" crap we had to listen to while tater was here..Since he did it so seldom, it was crap talking, not even worth talking about..

When that happens that meant the "D" is right back on the field after 1 or 2 plays..

I;d much rather have their D tired and making mistakes in the 3rd and 4th quarter not ours..

underrated29
12-03-2008, 12:52 PM
yes, a back that can grind out the tough yards and you know will get you the 3rd and 2, beat up the defense all day long and just pound the ball consistantly for 5+ yards is the back the OUR SYSTEM NEEDS!

Then throw in a a dash of fast-young,alridge and thats how we once again become the top rushing team in the nfl.

Lonestar
12-03-2008, 12:54 PM
yes, a back that can grind out the tough yards and you know will get you the 3rd and 2, beat up the defense all day long and just pound the ball consistantly for 5+ yards is the back the OUR SYSTEM NEEDS!

Then throw in a a dash of fast-young,alridge and thats how we once again become the top rushing team in the nfl.

Great post..

Plus the guy has the best hands on the team.. The guys is the RB we have been looking for since TD left..

The only time he should come off the field IMHO is to get rest or we are so far ahead it is time to give the scrubs play time..

I want to dominate TOP have a +6-7 minutes every game and all that does is open up the passing game for the long strikes to Stokely, Royale, Marshall, scheffler ..

topscribe
12-03-2008, 01:00 PM
Nothing like having a good ball carrier who is bigger than the linebackers to wear down a defense . . .

-----

broncofaninfla
12-03-2008, 02:06 PM
The power running game is HUGE this time of year. The Broncos now have a power running game thanks to Hillis. Too bad Aldridge got hurt, his size and speed would have been a perfect compliment as a change of pace to Hillis much in the way Dunn was to Allstot

Traveler
12-03-2008, 03:48 PM
My wish is to have a lightning & thunder combo of Demarco Murray & Torain at RB while keeping Hillis at FB.

topscribe
12-03-2008, 03:52 PM
My wish is to have a thunder & lightning combo of Demarco Murray & Torain at RB while keeping Hillis at FB.

That is the mistake the Broncos made with Mike Anderson. He was ripping off
massive yardage as a RB, then they put him at FB. Yes, Portis was here and
should have started, but MA in the meantime was languishing away as a
mediocre FB when he had been a superlative RB. All those wasted years for him.

I don't want that to happen to Hillis. If he keeps having the same success as
RB, it would be a crime to shove him back to the FB slot. He is only a so-so
blocker, anyway, which is okay for a RB but not for a FB. Even Shanny said
Hillis is better with the ball in his hands.

-----

G_Money
12-03-2008, 04:23 PM
Nothing in his college career would indicate that Torain is any better than Hillis. I can see an argument for “as good as” but better? No.

Can Hillis hold up with a ton of carries? We don’t know, it hasn’t been tested – but Torain is no heavy-load bearer himself, with major foot and knee injuries the last two seasons.

Can Torain be a bruising downhill runner? Possibly, but Hillis already is.

And Torain is not likely to be the receiving threat that Hillis is either.

I’d like another RB, because I don’t trust Torain’s health. Not his fault, I just don’t want to be one Hillis injury from needing Torain to carry our playoff team.

Because then I’m a seemingly-likely injury from Tatum or Young trying to do it.

I want another RB in the draft. Splitting the carries between Hillis and another quality back would help both of em out, and having Hall or Young for emergencies and Alridge for explosiveness seems like a better way to go.

Adding someone in the Brown/Ringer/Greene/Davis class of back to Hillis, Hall, Alridge and Torain suddenly gives us some RB potential AND some depth. I expect Pittman to go, and Young and Hall to duke it out for a spot.

Hillis should already be penciled in as one half of the starting RB combo. I just want to add the second part.

~G

Ziggy
12-03-2008, 04:46 PM
Hillis brings some toughness to the RB spot that we haven't seen in a while. I like the fact that he won't go down on first contact all the time. With the needs we have on D, there's no reason why Hillis, Alridge, Young, and Torrain can't carry us into next season.

Shanny almost always grabs a back somewhere in the draft. Why use a high pick when the D looks like swiss cheese and we have capable players? Yes. every team wants a star RB, but a well balanced foundation is more important. IT's time to spend the high picks and $$$ on the D.

underrated29
12-03-2008, 05:12 PM
GREAT POst G.

I am going to hold out hope for torain still. I agree he isnt quite as powerful as hillis. So far. But he is strong enough, but where he lacks in some strength he makes up for in speed and wiggle.

Dont get me wrong hillis is the type of back i have been crying for us to get ever since we let MA go. But i think torain (if healthy and plays up to his potential.) is more in the mold of our ideal elite back.

Powerful, fairly quick, enough giddy up to burst past defenders once he breaks through the hole, and wiggle to shake those he cant burn.

Hillis, is still pretty quick and has a little juke to him, but he makes up for it in power! Imo if torain, when healthy, and comfortable (he ran a little scared against the browns) plays he will beour guy and outshow hillis.

topscribe
12-03-2008, 05:28 PM
GREAT POst G.

I am going to hold out hope for torain still. I agree he isnt quite as powerful as hillis. So far. But he is strong enough, but where he lacks in some strength he makes up for in speed and wiggle.

Dont get me wrong hillis is the type of back i have been crying for us to get ever since we let MA go. But i think torain (if healthy and plays up to his potential.) is more in the mold of our ideal elite back.

Powerful, fairly quick, enough giddy up to burst past defenders once he breaks through the hole, and wiggle to shake those he cant burn.

Hillis, is still pretty quick and has a little juke to him, but he makes up for it in power! Imo if torain, when healthy, and comfortable (he ran a little scared against the browns) plays he will beour guy and outshow hillis.

I hope you're right. The better they are, the better for the Broncos! http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/thdrink.gif

-----

gobroncsnv
12-03-2008, 10:40 PM
The way our line run blocks right now, (ok, not great), we NEED a back who can run after first contact. What more does Hillis need to do to show he fills that bill? Other than more time in the saddle, but that's not his fault. But just LOOK at his runs... He can take the contact from LBs and move a pile, and DB's just bounce off of him.

If we were to compliment him in the backfield AT THE SAME TIME with a scat-type back, how do you defend that? If Hilllis is in the game, I don't send him outside much farther than the guard/tackle gap, and the opposing d would have to honor that. Then, if on the same play, you had an Aldridge type who could keep the D having to defend the outside threat...

But, the main question... what more does Hillis need to prove, other than durability? So far, he keeps showing up. Let this play itself out. So far, I'm sure not disappointed.

56crash
12-03-2008, 11:22 PM
I watched NFL replay and I got a great nick name for Hillis !!! Piggy Back !

LOL he gave #22 a Piggy back ride at least twice .that and him being a wooooooooooo pig,...

topscribe
12-04-2008, 01:06 AM
The way our line run blocks right now, (ok, not great), we NEED a back who can run after first contact. What more does Hillis need to do to show he fills that bill? Other than more time in the saddle, but that's not his fault. But just LOOK at his runs... He can take the contact from LBs and move a pile, and DB's just bounce off of him.

If we were to compliment him in the backfield AT THE SAME TIME with a scat-type back, how do you defend that? If Hilllis is in the game, I don't send him outside much farther than the guard/tackle gap, and the opposing d would have to honor that. Then, if on the same play, you had an Aldridge type who could keep the D having to defend the outside threat...

But, the main question... what more does Hillis need to prove, other than durability? So far, he keeps showing up. Let this play itself out. So far, I'm sure not disappointed.

Well, Hillis has already proven he can run outside, too. He would have to
because they would just stack the line and lay for him otherwise. Same thing
with the scat back: He would occasionally have to bust up inside to keep
the defense honest with him, too.

-----

lex
12-04-2008, 01:22 AM
If you cant see that Hillis has been the best RB for this team so far this season, youre delusional. Youre delusional if you think Torain is better than Hillis. Torain has missed significant time due to injury in 3 of his last 4 years. It would be foolish to pin your hopes on him. But even in evaluating running style. Hillis is far better at running behind his pads which more often results in him falling forward. Torain is way too stiff to the extent that he he is not able to achieve proper pad level soon enough before impact. The result is being stood up, not falling forward, and taking unnecessary shots because he is being stood up and not falling forward.

gobroncsnv
12-04-2008, 08:06 AM
Well, Hillis has already proven he can run outside, too. He would have to
because they would just stack the line and lay for him otherwise. Same thing
with the scat back: He would occasionally have to bust up inside to keep
the defense honest with him, too.

-----

I don't disagree, just that his running's bread and butter is up the gut... With Hillis, I would send him through the line the VAST majority of the time, and someone like an Aldridge, is better off going AROUND the line.
That said, I wouldn't hesitate to make Hillis the full time RB, just get spotted by others as needed, and supplement his style with a scat back in the same backfield. Let others keep their "wildcat" plays. The dual backs would be my version of it for Denver.

bcbronc
12-04-2008, 03:45 PM
Hillis brings some toughness to the RB spot that we haven't seen in a while. I like the fact that he won't go down on first contact all the time. With the needs we have on D, there's no reason why Hillis, Alridge, Young, and Torrain can't carry us into next season.

Shanny almost always grabs a back somewhere in the draft. Why use a high pick when the D looks like swiss cheese and we have capable players? Yes. every team wants a star RB, but a well balanced foundation is more important. IT's time to spend the high picks and $$$ on the D.

that's the way I see it too. three of those 4 have been injured this season, and all three compliment what Hillis brings. throw in Hillis can still see some snaps at FB when the speed guy is in, and it's potentially a dynamic and versatile backfield. add a road-paver FB and see what we have.

then add 1-2 udfa's to the practise squad and use the draft to stock up the defense.

fcspikeit
12-04-2008, 04:03 PM
I don't disagree, just that his running's bread and butter is up the gut... With Hillis, I would send him through the line the VAST majority of the time, and someone like an Aldridge, is better off going AROUND the line.
That said, I wouldn't hesitate to make Hillis the full time RB, just get spotted by others as needed, and supplement his style with a scat back in the same backfield. Let others keep their "wildcat" plays. The dual backs would be my version of it for Denver.

I agree,

I also think people are getting hung up on the title. I really don't care if they call him a FB or RB, just as long as he gets gets 10 - 20 carries a game.

We can run a split backfield set. Some times Hillis can lead block and other times he can pound the rock. That would also allow us to send Hillis up the gut and run Aldrige/whoever around the edge. They wouldn't know who was getting the ball because they would both be in there. We could also send both in passing routs. One would always be open, if not they would clear out the middle of the field.

They could say we're running a 2 HB set or that we give the ball to our FB a lot. I don't really care. Just as long as they keep Hillis on the field and give him the chance to help us win games..

BroncoTech
12-05-2008, 03:52 AM
I was kinda freakin' on one run up the middle against the jets. I haven't seen a runner like that since TD. Barely any hole at the line, but he was going full speed into the secondary. I think this kid might be our guy.