PDA

View Full Version : For me, this victory is bittersweet...

Reidman
11-30-2008, 07:57 PM
This is by no means a downer thread...so please don't construe it as one.

I merely am trying to grasp at how we lose to teams like Oakland and KC and then dominate a division leading, 5 win streak team in their house. I am happy for the win and applaud the Broncos defensive play and run offense which was spectacular against the 3rd rated rush defense...

Obviously we get complacent against lesser teams. So, if we are to win out or come close we need to prepare like we did this week. Next few games should be cake walks not including Carolina. SD, BUF and KC I know we are capable of handling if we show up like we did today.

On a side note, I am starting to think mile high magic has become a mile high curse...we look confident and aggressive when playing away...but timid and docile when playing at home...not sure why but that's how I see it...heaven forbid we play a playoff game in our own house...

Northman
11-30-2008, 08:04 PM

I merely am trying to grasp at how we lose to teams like Oakland and KC and then dominate a division leading, 5 win streak team in their house. I am happy for the win and applaud the Broncos defensive play and run offense which was spectacular against the 3rd rated rush defense...

Obviously we get complacent against lesser teams. So, if we are to win out or come close we need to prepare like we did this week. Next few games should be cake walks not including Carolina. SD, BUF and KC I know we are capable of handling if we show up like we did today.

On a side note, I am starting to think mile high magic has become a mile high curse...we look confident and aggressive when playing away...but timid and docile when playing at home...not sure why but that's how I see it...heaven forbid we play a playoff game in our own house...

I dont think there is a curse, i think it is exactly as it appears to be. A very inconsistent young team. They play down to opponents they shouldnt and get up for teams that they really shouldnt be defeating. The good news is if this is truly how it plays out if we make the playoffs it will be nothing but good teams, which going by history this year so far we should be in good shape. lol

MasterShake
11-30-2008, 08:07 PM

Well, the only playoff game we would have to start with is a home playoff game because we only get in with a division win. That gaurantees a home playoff game. No wildcard from the West this year...

Reidman
11-30-2008, 08:20 PM
Well, the only playoff game we would have to start with is a home playoff game because we only get in with a division win. That gaurantees a home playoff game. No wildcard from the West this year...

Exactly! And given our level of play at home this year, this worries me. I shouldn't be worrying about this stuff though and rather enjoy our huge win...

broncophan
11-30-2008, 08:24 PM
I have given up trying to figure out this team.....:D

Dreadnought
11-30-2008, 09:17 PM
I have given up trying to figure out this team.....:D

What's to figure? They are raw as Hell, but with amazing talent. This translates to emotional ups and downs and extreme inconsistency, which is exactly what we've seen this Year. The good news? These kids can play with anybody; they just need to learn how to do it regularly.

PS The above does not refer to our Safeties, who consistenly blow week in and week out. Them you can always depend on :lol:

Denver Native (Carol)
11-30-2008, 09:22 PM

We seem to be back in the mode the Broncos were years ago - play to the level of the team we are playing.

Also, on Mile Hi magic - Invesco Field is no where near what Mile Hi Stadium was as far as magic for the Broncos, and the 12th man on a consistent basis.

topscribe
11-30-2008, 09:38 PM
What the wins against Tampa, NO, Cleveland, Atlanta, and NYJ tell me is
that the Broncos are a good team, a very good team. What the losses to
Oakland and KC tell me is that the Broncos are a very young team.

The Broncos haven't had a Rod Smith, Tom Nalen, and Al Wilson to keep on
them and keep their heads on straight. They have had to groom their own
leaders, and this has taken time.

But retun the TO situation back to normal football, and the Broncos are 10-2.
We haven't been rooting for a weak team. Just an immature one. And I don't
think anybody knows this better than the team itself.

The future looks bright, fellow Broncos fans!! :woot:

-----

BroncoTech
11-30-2008, 09:41 PM
I moved away but I've heard the new house is nothing like the old house. Hard to make noise in a luxury booth.

haroldthebarrel
11-30-2008, 09:47 PM
Just jump along on this season of inconsistency!

We know we can beat any team on any day and we can be crushed by lowlife Chorfs and Faiders.

At least we get playoff experience, and while speaking on experience its good the young guys get their.
hopefully we will get our two best defensive players come playoff time at Home!

ikillz0mbies
11-30-2008, 09:53 PM
So...if the Broncos are able to beat the very good and tough teams and lose to the crap teams, does that mean that they're going to win the Super Bowl?

topscribe
11-30-2008, 09:56 PM
So...if the Broncos are able to beat the very good and tough teams and lose to the crap teams, does that mean that they're going to win the Super Bowl?

The only thing that will mean the Broncos is going to the Super Bowl is if they win the AFC Championship game.

Other than that, I don't understand your question. :smile:

-----

haroldthebarrel
11-30-2008, 09:57 PM

Everything can happen. We are the model of inconsistency.
In the end though, we will become a better team next year since the young guns should become better by default, and that they had a year with adversity while being very young.

chanesaw
11-30-2008, 10:41 PM
Another thing that is frustrating is that if we hadn't laid eggs versus KC & Oakland, we would have 9 wins, and we would be in contention for a 1st round bye.

Tned
11-30-2008, 10:56 PM

I think it is very easy to grasp why. We have a very young team, with a lot of replacement players.

The O-line, which has been great in the passing game, but inconsistant in the running game, has a rookie LT, along with young, inexperienced RG/RT's. Rookie FB's, and two young WR's who can look all world at times and 'young' at times (ironically, that description has fit Marshall more than Royal this year).

The RB position has been a revolving door, due to injuries, which makes it hard to get any continutiy in the running game (along with the young/remade line).

Then there is Jay. As they showed during the broadcast, he has a passer rating of nearly 110 when the Broncos win, but down in the 60s or so when the Broncos lose. Jay is one of those young guys and VERY inconsistant. Add his inconsistancy to all the receiver's drops (many of them being from Marshall) and the offense has tended to be all or nothing this year.

Then there is the defense. The defense has actually gotten MUCH better as the year has gone on. I don't know if it is Slowick and the defenders getting on the same page, or the young replacments for the DESSIMATED defense (all starting LB's gone, Champ, etc.) having more energy. The fact is that since game four or five, the defense has really started to step up, but have often been put in tough positions by offensive turnovers or three and outs.

This is a young team and as such has a lot of ups and downs. They are a team that plays better with the lead, which again is likely due to experience, or lack there of.

Since they are a young team, it is possible that they players, not the coaches, take teams like Oak and KC for granted, and wind up paying the price, or it is simply a case of getting a few bad breaks early, then starting to press, and then having the 'snowball effect' come into play.

On offense, the games where Jay throws to the underneath receivers, the offense tends to perform much better than when he just keeps throwing the long ball to covered receivers. Again, a young QB at the helm.

Right now, this team goes as far as Jay takes them, and how far we go in the playoffs will depend on whether Good Jay or Bad Jay shows up to play.

That's not a knock on Jay, but rather a statement about how good he is, when he is playing 'good'. He has the ability to raise the team on his shoulders and lead them to victory, but he hasn't quite mastered the art of 'consistancy'.

Broncos Mtnman
11-30-2008, 11:08 PM
I moved away but I've heard the new house is nothing like the old house. Hard to make noise in a luxury booth.

I have season tickets on the club level and I can tell you that this isn't true. It's an overstatement to say that everyone sits in a luxury booth, and it's an overstatement to accuse everyone who goes to games today of being a "snob."

There was some transition to the new stadium. Every team has this problem when they move to a new house. I know it took me some time to get to know my new neighbors when we moved.

Sure, there's a bit of a "corporate" feel to the new house (welcome to today's NFL), but I can tell you that I wouldn't go back to Mile High for anything now.

The fans will get into the game when the team starts to put a CONSISTENT product on the field. Winning has a way of getting people more excited than losing does.

Everyone around me is a fan, but it's hard to get too excited when your team struggles at a place where they used to dominate. However, I think this team has the basics necessary to get it back again.

Tned
12-01-2008, 12:51 PM
I have season tickets on the club level and I can tell you that this isn't true. It's an overstatement to say that everyone sits in a luxury booth, and it's an overstatement to accuse everyone who goes to games today of being a "snob."

There was some transition to the new stadium. Every team has this problem when they move to a new house. I know it took me some time to get to know my new neighbors when we moved.

Sure, there's a bit of a "corporate" feel to the new house (welcome to today's NFL), but I can tell you that I wouldn't go back to Mile High for anything now.

The fans will get into the game when the team starts to put a CONSISTENT product on the field. Winning has a way of getting people more excited than losing does.

Everyone around me is a fan, but it's hard to get too excited when your team struggles at a place where they used to dominate. However, I think this team has the basics necessary to get it back again.

When the crowd does get into it, how is the noise level compared to Mile High?

BroncoJoe
12-01-2008, 01:00 PM

I'm guessing it is youth and inexperience. Our young guys didn't see any way we could lose to a "lesser" opponent. They forget this is the NFL, and not college.

JMO

Broncos Mtnman
12-01-2008, 06:38 PM
When the crowd does get into it, how is the noise level compared to Mile High?

It seems just as loud as Mile High to me when the fans get into it.

GEM
12-01-2008, 06:43 PM

The fans at Invesco are timid and docile....just sayin.

**EDIT** Just saw mtn_man's comments and perhaps where you're sitting it seems that way. I sat in 2 different places and saw the same thing. On club level and on the upper tier. I was utterly amazed at the amount of opposition fans at both games. The Green Bay game felt like I was at Lambeau. :tsk: I was asked on a couple occasions to please not scream. :tsk: And as I went to the restroom at the MNF vs. GB on Club Level....I was astounded at the number of empty seats and going into the concourse and seeing everyone sitting at a friggen bar. The Minn game was better as in the seats were more Broncos friendly and loud. Those were just my observations. I know Invesco can get loud, I've seen the camera shaking, but it's just not what it was.

SmilinAssasSin27
12-01-2008, 06:50 PM
easiest thread I've ever had to respond to...

Turnovers. I believe the answer you are looking for is turnovers.

Hobe
12-01-2008, 06:57 PM
On a side note, I am starting to think mile high magic has become a mile high curse...

I can agree with most of what you said; but PLEASE don't start, "the new stadium is cursed" BS. ;)

One day you say, "Gee maybe the stadiums cursed." Before you know it they have witchdoctors throwing chicken bones around the field before games.:D

BroncoNut
12-01-2008, 06:59 PM
What the wins against Tampa, NO, Cleveland, Atlanta, and NYJ tell me is
that the Broncos are a good team, a very good team. What the losses to
Oakland and KC tell me is that the Broncos are a very young team.

The Broncos haven't had a Rod Smith, Tom Nalen, and Al Wilson to keep on
them and keep their heads on straight. They have had to groom their own
leaders, and this has taken time.

But retun the TO situation back to normal football, and the Broncos are 10-2.
We haven't been rooting for a weak team. Just an immature one. And I don't
think anybody knows this better than the team itself.

The future looks bright, fellow Broncos fans!! :woot:

-----

sorry about referring to your mouth as a prune juiced pie hole earlier today in another thread.

sacmar
12-01-2008, 07:30 PM
We are a battered team with a 7-5 record just like a bunch of other teams and even another division leading team, it's all about where we finish not how we got there, the pats went undeafeated last year and lost the big one so all that undeafeated season meant squat, with no d no rb's etc...to expect more is silly. When people learn to accept a win from this team and not care how it happened we'll all be happier. Would you win the lottery and bitch and give the money back because the numbers weren't in the order you'd like ????