PDA

View Full Version : Champ to Nickle a tactic to free up Von Miller?

Agent of Orange
08-27-2011, 03:43 PM
I thought it was an interesting development that Champ is being moved to play nickle more. It has worked well in the past like when we played KC and they had Gonzalez but it's not like a lot has changed where are other CBs are concerned. The availability of Cox is a huge question mark. So, who does that leave at CB? Are we really in good shape there?

It seems to me that this is a move meant to help free up Miller. It tells me that they want to blitz Miller more and want to use Champ to avoid him being targeted.

Sorry if someoene else has already mentioned this but the only reaction that I've really seen to this involved commentary about Champ getting older.

I think we're really hoping to accelerate a QBs progressions. When this happens, QBs often look for backs and TEs, which is where Champ will now be playing. So, in a certain sense, I think this may also be a tactic to try to funnel the game to Champ.

Tned
08-27-2011, 04:03 PM
I'm not sure about the age commentary, but that had nothing to do with the change. I'm not sure what you man by "targeting Miller."

The plan seems to be that with the intense pass rush from Doom and Miller, that QB's under pressure will be trying to hit the TE or slot receiver on the hot read and so they are putting Champ there.

Agent of Orange
08-27-2011, 04:05 PM
Just wanted to clean up on what I posted above. I'm theorizing they may not be moving Champ because it's a progression that comes with age. I'm theorizing that they're looking at how a QBs progressions usually flow when you blitz and they're putting our best (at least at this point) DB there.

You've often heard that a TE is a QBs security blanket? Well this is why. He's a quick read progression. This is what I mean by funneling the game to Champ.

It kind of seems like we're trying to win the middle of the field. Also, throws to the sideline are often the harder throws to make.

It's an excellent strategy if thats what this is.

Tned
08-27-2011, 04:09 PM
Just wanted to clean up on what I posted above. I'm theorizing they may not be moving Champ because it's a progression that comes with age. I'm theorizing that they're looking at how a QBs progressions usually flow when you blitz and they're putting our best (at least at this point) DB there.

You've often heard that a TE is a QBs security blanket? Well this is why. He's a quick read progression. This is what I mean by funneling the game to Champ.

It kind of seems like we're trying to win the middle of the field. Also, throws to the sideline are often the harder throws to make.

It's an excellent strategy if thats what this is.

Yes, it's been stated that is the reason. It has nothing to do with his age.

Agent of Orange
08-27-2011, 04:09 PM
I'm not sure about the age commentary, but that had nothing to do with the change. I'm not sure what you man by "targeting Miller."

The plan seems to be that with the intense pass rush from Doom and Miller, that QB's under pressure will be trying to hit the TE or slot receiver on the hot read and so they are putting Champ there.

Thats essentially what Im saying. When I say target Miller, I'm talking about either targeting him or the space he's vacated when blitzing. This is a typical QB progression to throw where the blitz is coming from. But now with Champ there, it's an attempt to negate easy conversions but also possibly generate easy turnovers.

It's an attempt to put our best weapon where the bulk of the battle will be fought.

Agent of Orange
08-27-2011, 04:12 PM
Yes, it's been stated that is the reason. It has nothing to do with his age.

Sorry, must have missed it. The only reaction that I saw involved commentary about Champ getting older and this is what you do with aging CBs.

This never made sense to me since. If they would have had a proper replacement for Champ, it would have made more sense but our CB situation isnt really any better than it has been at various times in recent years. It seemed more like an attempt to try to manipulate where the game is played...or at least react in advance where the game is likely going to be played once Von is blitzing.

Tned
08-27-2011, 04:13 PM
Thats essentially what Im saying. When I say target Miller, I'm talking about either targeting him or the space he's vacated when blitzing. This is a typical QB progression to throw where the blitz is coming from. But now with Champ there, it's an attempt to negate easy conversions but also possibly generate easy turnovers.

It's an attempt to put our best weapon where the bulk of the battle will be fought.

This has been discussed by Champ and Allen, I guess you missed it. Here's an article for you to read.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18744350

Denver Native (Carol)
08-27-2011, 04:14 PM
A few days ago, I started a thread on this, based on the article in the DP:

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=276683

Used to be, nickel back was for kids.

A rookie breaking in, a free agent on the cheap, a longtime starter trying to hang on. Whatever the pool, they were the third-best cornerback on an NFL team.

John Elway, Jake Plummer​ and Jay Cutler were Broncos quarterbacks. Broncos nickel backs have been veterans such as Nate Jones, Ty Law and Dre Bly, kids such as Joshua Bell, Karl Paymah and Domonique Foxworth.

The Broncos' nickel back in 2011? The one and only Champ.

rest of article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18744350

Agent of Orange
08-27-2011, 04:17 PM
A few days ago, I started a thread on this, based on the article in the DP:

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=276683

rest of article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18744350

Thanks, Carol. I generally avoid Klis articles. Must have been why I missed it.

Edit--after reading it, Klis didn't fully grasp why, it doesnt seem. You have to focus on what Allen is saying.

Agent of Orange
08-27-2011, 04:21 PM
This has been discussed by Champ and Allen, I guess you missed it. Here's an article for you to read.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18744350

Do you think they'll now be playing more cover 2 to compensate for having our weaker CBs on the outside?

BTW, I also have to wonder if this means Wesley Woodyard will play more. DJ has lost a lot of one on ones against TEs recently. Woodyard's a little faster I think. He used to play S in college. I'm talkign about a scenario where Miller would still be a LB, btw. If he plays DE, then DJ and Woodyard both maybe.

Ziggy
08-27-2011, 05:01 PM
I don't know if it's been mentioned, but Champ is one of the more sure tacklers in the NFL. It helps against the inside run plays as well.

Agent of Orange
08-27-2011, 05:06 PM
I don't know if it's been mentioned, but Champ is one of the more sure tacklers in the NFL. It helps against the inside run plays as well.

Yeah, this was Klis' reaction. I think it has more to do with them needing someone who is really aware over the middle to take advantage of possible turnovers. Part of this will happen by mixing up coverages.

Slick
08-27-2011, 05:19 PM
Good topic agent. Will be nice to see this plan come to fruition...if we can get teams in some third and longs.

I know we will at some point due to penalties. Should help get the defense off the field.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

dogfish
08-27-2011, 05:19 PM
not sure, but buff thinks they should free up leonard peltier while they're at it. . . .

Canmore
08-27-2011, 05:20 PM

Someone posted a stat from I don't remember where but it showed that Champ was the second best tackling corner in the league missing only one tackle every twenty-three attemps. I wish the rest of our defense tackled with that type of efficency.