PDA

View Full Version : Broncos a "Deep Sleeper" in NFL

xzn
08-27-2011, 12:12 PM
Check out this article that lists two Broncos, out of ten, as "deep sleepers" for fantasy production. The two guys are Erik Decker and Julius Thomas.

http://games.espn.go.com/frontpage

My question is this:

ARE THE BRONCOS A DEEP SLEEPER IN THE NFL?

I think Denver shows major improvement on defense :defense: and offensive balance, which will lead to better redzone efficiency.

With a little luck on the injury front I think we can win 10+ games and threaten for the division. :salute:

With our lack of quality depth I shudder to think of what happens if we get hit bad by injuries...:tsk:

but that's just me :coffee:

What do YOU think :listen:

Agent of Orange
08-27-2011, 12:16 PM
You could say something similar for most teams when it comes to injuries. I think you're in the ball park in what you identify as reasons that Denver could be a lot better. I'm not sure about 10 wins but you could be right if they get on a roll. I think the big key is whether we're able to run the ball better than other teams.

I think our RBs are decent-not great. But what has me hopeful is the offensive line as a whole and having Magazu as the offensive line coach. He's supposed to be one of the best in the business.

xzn
08-27-2011, 12:30 PM
Agent Orange you're right about the critical importance of the run game.

Two preseason games have revived my hope, but it remains to be seen how well the team can stop a determined running team like the fade, the cheaps and the fish.

We have exactly zero quality offensive line depth if a starter misses time. Have you looked at the stats from preseason on what our yards per carry is with the starting line vs. the 2nd group? It's sobering...

HORSEPOWER 56
08-27-2011, 12:31 PM
As every year, we look okay on paper but it all really depends on injuries and coaching adjustments.

Our depth, as evidenced by the preseason, at every position except QB, WR, and possibly RB, is extremely suspect. We lose a guy like Doom again and we're in trouble.

Also, if our coaching staff can't adjust to other teams and squads that may have much more time playing together in the same scheme, then we're going to get rolled no matter if we're healthy or not.

I'm one of the guys that believes that player talent is important, but coaching strategy and continuity/consistency between the units is much more important.

Agent of Orange
08-27-2011, 12:37 PM
Agent Orange you're right about the critical importance of the run game.

Two preseason games have revived my hope, but it remains to be seen how well the team can stop a determined running team like the fade, the cheaps and the fish.

That's why I say a lot is determined by whether we can run the ball better. Whoever runs the ball better, helps their defense and passing game the most. So, lets say we can run the ball better than the Raiders, there is a greater chance that we'll get out to a lead, at which point, our defense is better able to play downhill. It creates more scenarios where as the game evolves, our defense can pin its ears back against QBs like Henne and Campbell. It also typically means we'll have fewer 3rd and longs.

We have exactly zero quality offensive line depth if a starter misses time. Have you looked at the stats from preseason on what our yards per carry is with the starting line vs. the 2nd group? It's sobering...

One thing about this, the first string has more experienced players. The second string are mostly inexperienced players. If you plug one or two inexperienced players in with the first string, it could still maybe function well.

underrated29
08-27-2011, 01:19 PM
We lost 3 or 4 games last year on pretty much the last play. So lets say we get 1 bounce our way. -Now we win 5 games.

Mcdaniels is gone- that automatically equals at least 1 win.- Now we win 6 games.

Fox actually did stuff to fix our defense (moore, bunkley, Von Miller)- They let us improve by 1 game.- Now we win 7 games.

Doom is back- Automatic 1 win improvement minimum.-Now we win 8 games.
So we are at 8 wins now:

Plus we Greatly Improved the Run game!!!
Improved the blocking scheme to fit our OL boys (ZBS)
Appear to have a real solid, sound DC (first time in 8 years-aside from nolan)
Brought back 8 starters on Offense and added another solid RB= continuity.
The cheifs and raiders have down graded their teams (by loss of players, coaches or schedule)
Dont have to worry about Kick returns (which killed us)- Prater= Touchback
Not going to run 1 yard on first, incomplete/fetal sack on 2nd and incomplete/throw away on third- actually will be balanced on offense.
Our QB is in a contract year and knows he wont be back. He is going to play lights out- except when he falls down for sacks.
We always win to open the season on monday night at home against the faiders.

So I dont know how many wins you want to attribute all the improvement too. But I can tell you we are a lot better than the 1-3 wins people think over last years abysmal season. But I think somewhere around 9-10..

Oh yea- we also possess the best redzone threat in the NFL- He walks on water, he poops out solid gold, and scores tds on approx 19 of 21 redzone trips including preseason.

dogfish
08-27-2011, 03:37 PM
put me down for six wins-- having a pro coach and getting doom back should be enough to double mcdaniels' win total from last year. . . .

hamrob
08-27-2011, 07:25 PM
I say 8-8, but we will be in most every game.

I think we'll be in the playoff race down to the wire this year. If everything goes our way, then I think we could be 10-6.

I chose 4-8, just because I think it's too much to ask for more than 8 after what McD did to this franchise.

Oh...If Tebow starts in week 1....we go 12-4! :-)

Northman
08-27-2011, 07:32 PM
put me down for six wins-- having a pro coach and getting doom back should be enough to double mcdaniels' win total from last year. . . .

Yea, some better coaching, some better running, some better defense, but still the same ol' Kyle Orton at the helm. 6 wins tops.

Canmore
08-27-2011, 07:41 PM

6-10 is my prediction, was leaning toward 5 but as the season get closer I think 6 wins is where we are. By the way we won 4 games last year, 6 wins would be a 50% improvement. :laugh:

chazoe60
08-27-2011, 07:46 PM
5 wins.......

Slick
08-27-2011, 07:58 PM
I said 5 last year. I was feeling incredibly unconfident going in to last season. I was to the point where i laughed at us and fell asleep on the couch during games... Something i havent done in 30 years of watchbing the broncos.

Im actually more optimistic this year so I'll say 8 wins. We'll be a .500 ball club.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Canmore
08-27-2011, 08:04 PM
I said 5 last year. I was feeling incredibly unconfident going in to last season. I was to the point where i laughed at us and fell asleep on the couch during games... Something i havent done in 30 years of watchbing the broncos.

Im actually more optimistic this year so I'll say 8 wins. We'll be a .500 ball club.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

I stand during games so hopefully Kyle doesn't put me to sleep. I have wood floors, that would be a nasty fall. :laugh:

nevcraw
08-27-2011, 08:54 PM
I woudln't call the Broncos a deep sleeper.. might want to use the term coma.

atwater27
08-28-2011, 12:08 PM
Yea, some better coaching, some better running, some better defense, but still the same ol' Kyle Orton at the helm. 6 wins tops.

If we struggle, I wouldn't bet Kyle would be the reason. We have a new offensive and defensive system, a very inexperienced o-line, a running game that is far from explosive, besides lloyd, our receivers are overrated and injury prone; we have horrible depth at damn near every position except linebacker, A scary situation at DT and a ton of rookies in the rotation.

PAINTERDAVE
08-29-2011, 10:24 AM
Chaz (5) and Hoptard (6) are examples of the over/under
on the vegas line...

it is 5.5.

Those gambling guys dont just throw numbers out for no reason.

We may get off to a quick start..
the league has no film on us...
just like when McD started out..

but the chances of double digit wins is slim to none.

(Although the slim chances just DOUBLED by them cutting Nate Jones)

NightTrainLayne
08-29-2011, 12:33 PM
I figure 8 wins, assuming no more major injuries. If we get a couple guys hurt, it will go south fast.

BroncoNut
08-29-2011, 12:38 PM
Check out this article that lists two Broncos, out of ten, as "deep sleepers" for fantasy production. The two guys are Erik Decker and Julius Thomas.

http://games.espn.go.com/frontpage

My question is this:

ARE THE BRONCOS A DEEP SLEEPER IN THE NFL?

I think Denver shows major improvement on defense :defense: and offensive balance, which will lead to better redzone efficiency.

With a little luck on the injury front I think we can win 10+ games and threaten for the division. :salute:

With our lack of quality depth I shudder to think of what happens if we get hit bad by injuries...:tsk:

but that's just me :coffee:

What do YOU think :listen:

individual players as deep sleepers for fantasy football? the title and poll are misleading and that really pisses me off

BroncoNut
08-29-2011, 12:39 PM
I figure 8 wins, assuming no more major injuries. If we get a couple guys hurt, it will go south fast.

I agree, and injurys will happen.

dogfish
08-29-2011, 02:24 PM
Chaz (5) and Hoptard (6) are examples of the over/under
on the vegas line...

it is 5.5.

Those gambling guys dont just throw numbers out for no reason.

We may get off to a quick start..
the league has no film on us...
just like when McD started out..

but the chances of double digit wins is slim to none.

(Although the slim chances just DOUBLED by them cutting Nate Jones)

you'll be receiving a reprimand from the Defenders of Nate Jones Society shortly. . . in the meantime, i'm going to have to ask you to cease and desist any and all derogatory mentions of nate-- thank you for your cooperation on this matter. . . .

:salute:

I Eat Staples
08-29-2011, 06:15 PM
I say 6 wins.

bcbronc
08-30-2011, 01:17 AM
7 wins and a much more enjoyable season.

Canmore
08-30-2011, 02:04 AM
7 wins and a much more enjoyable season.

A much more enjoyable season we can agree on and I'm leaning toward seven wins! :D

Tned
08-30-2011, 07:38 AM
Hard to vote in the poll, as I think the most likely total is 6-9, so I guess that puts me in the 4-8 group, but I don't expect us to be in the 4-5 range.

Canmore
08-30-2011, 07:45 AM
Hard to vote in the poll, as I think the most likely total is 6-9, so I guess that puts me in the 4-8 group, but I don't expect us to be in the 4-5 range.

I'm still thinking six maybe seven, so I'm clearly in the 4-8 range. But man I'm fired up and hoping like heck I'm wrong. Unfortunately some key injuries could derail my optimism. Our depth is so suspect at the moment. Can we get help on the waiver wire and outright releases? It will really be interesting to see what we do.