PDA

View Full Version : Q&A: Broncos' Harvey will have to prove himself worthy of playing time

TXBRONC
08-27-2011, 08:55 AM
Q&A: Broncos' Harvey will have to prove himself worthy of playing time
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
Posted: 08/27/2011 01:00:00 AM MDT
Updated: 08/27/2011 01:03:40 AM MDT

Q: How do the Broncos feel about Derrick Harvey? Does he seem to have a chance to beat out Robert Ayers? Ayers has looked better than in previous years, in my opinion, but I still haven't seen the same sort of flash I've seen from Harvey. What are your thoughts on this?

A: Currently, he's working as Elvis Dumervil​ at right defensive end, which is the rush end spot.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18766230

Maybe Fox and Allen can make something out of him.

As far as Ayers is concerned I don't agree with questioner that he's looked better. He has looked terrible but I don't think he's been all that impressive. Then again maybe it that I'm looking for him to show more in the way of pass rush and maybe that isn't what they're asking him to do.

broncobryce
08-27-2011, 10:02 AM

As far as Ayers is concerned I don't agree with questioner that he's looked better. He has looked terrible but I don't think he's been all that impressive. Then again maybe it that I'm looking for him to show more in the way of pass rush and maybe that isn't what they're asking him to do.

I love Ayers, but so far this preseason he has been invisible. Since Miller gets shot out of a cannon off the edge, maybe they are asking Ayers to more hold ground and contain the QB.
I know once during the buffalo game Miller went around the edge and Ayers tried a spin move inside so Fitzpatrick ran for like 7 yards.

That can be a problem with the way Miller rushes if Ayers doesnt account for it.

CoachChaz
08-27-2011, 10:27 AM
Harvey will be a solid back up, but too light to supplant Ayers. Cant imagine a DL with two 250 lb DEs other than obvious passing scenarios. Even then...its a risk

TXBRONC
08-27-2011, 11:16 AM
Harvey will be a solid back up, but too light to supplant Ayers. Cant imagine a DL with two 250 lb DEs other than obvious passing scenarios. Even then...its a risk

They say he's listed around 268 lbs.

Agent of Orange
08-27-2011, 12:21 PM

I've seen a lot of people complaining about giving up runs to the outside. It's hard to know who's to blame without knowing the assignments on a given play but, typically, its the DE's responsibility to contain the run. And this is what Ayers was supposed to be good at.

I'll cut him a little slack because he hasn't played with his hand down and that close to the line of scrimmage in 3 years but it does seem like this might be an area to keep an eye on.