PDA

View Full Version : Q&A: Tebow figures in Broncos' future

TXBRONC
08-26-2011, 09:44 PM
Q&A: Tebow figures in Broncos' future
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
Posted: 08/26/2011 01:00:00 AM MDT

Q: If Orton plays well, do you think the Broncos will offer him a contract? If he has a good year, does it make testing the open market more appealing? So, after improving in 2011, are the Broncos going to have to take another step back in their rebuilding process because of the quarterback situation?

A:If the team had any real intentions of locking up Orton long term, it would have already started that process, and there has been nothing to indicate it has done so.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18758033

I don't think Legwold is correct. There is plenty of time for Denver to get a deal worked out if they really want to keep him here. While I think there is plenty of time to get a deal done if EFX wants it done I don't think they will.

The Q&A mentioned that the Broncos paid Tebow a $6 million bonus that was due but I don't think that means he'll be the starter next year.

BroncoStud
08-26-2011, 11:00 PM
I will seriously question the direction and future of this organization if they offer Orton a long-term deal. I trust that Elway knows QB play well enough not to do this, even if Fox pushes for it, which I hope he too, will not.

Watching Orton THIS year is going to be rough enough, I couldn't take anything beyond that.

jlarsiii
08-26-2011, 11:07 PM
I will seriously question the direction and future of this organization if they offer Orton a long-term deal. I trust that Elway knows QB play well enough not to do this, even if Fox pushes for it, which I hope he too, will not.

Watching Orton THIS year is going to be rough enough, I couldn't take anything beyond that.

Fine, don't watch then. . .

Spew your hate somewhere else. . .

TXBRONC
08-26-2011, 11:13 PM
If we're winning games Orton will be palatable. Even so I think the way things are shaking out right it would take something remarkable for EFX to offer Orton franchise quarterback money.

jlarsiii
08-26-2011, 11:15 PM
If we're winning games Orton will be palatible. Even so I think the way things are shaking out right it would take something remarkable for EFX to offer Orton franchise quarterback money.

Agreed. He would have to perform like he never has to garner that type of money. I doubt he gets it done.

Lancane
08-26-2011, 11:18 PM
Fine, don't watch then. . .

Spew your hate somewhere else. . .

He's allowed to be critical no matter if you like it or not, I've said much the same recently as have some of the other veteran posters. It's not really hate, just utter disgust, people need to quite throwing that 'H' word around to explain fellow poster's dispositions.

jlarsiii
08-26-2011, 11:21 PM
He's allowed to be critical no matter if you like it or not, I've said much the same recently as have some of the other veteran posters. It's not really hate, just utter disgust, people need to quite throwing that 'H' word around to explain fellow poster's dispositions.

Sugarcoat it how you want. . .

I have read enough of his posts to know hate for hate. Anyway, why make excuses for him. I bet he would readily admit his hate for Orton if asked. . .

Lancane
08-26-2011, 11:28 PM

I have read enough of his posts to know hate for hate. Anyway, why make excuses for him. I bet he would readily admit his hate for Orton if asked. . .

Still a little too strong, but I guess that people no matter what are going to take it that way no matter. And I am not making excuses, but I know that several posters have been labeled 'Bandwagon' or 'Hateful' fans because their level of utter disgust with Orton and their views on the matter. I don't know if he actually hates him or not. I know I am not overly fond of his ass, I say I hate him...but I have long held that stance, even when I defended him last year from a lot of criticism early in the season I said as much.

Who knows, maybe you're right. ;)

jlarsiii
08-26-2011, 11:34 PM
Still a little too strong, but I guess that people no matter what are going to take it that way no matter. And I am not making excuses, but I know that several posters have been labeled 'Bandwagon' or 'Hateful' fans because their level of utter disgust with Orton and their views on the matter. I don't know if he actually hates him or not. I know I am not overly fond of his ass, I say I hate him...but I have long held that stance, even when I defended him last year from a lot of criticism early in the season I said as much.

You are right too. It is too strong. . .

I am past the point of growing tired of this debate. Likely we are all wrong.

I defend him because I feel that the current viewpoint is biased by most fans based on their desires which I find to be illogical. I can acknowledge the other viewpoint at least even if I don't agree. . .

Canmore
08-26-2011, 11:43 PM

I defend him because I feel that the current viewpoint is biased by most fans based on their desires which I find to be illogical. I can acknowledge the other viewpoint at least even if I don't agree. . .

Whatever the word for the Orton "dissatisfaction" it is a little to much in my opinion. Last year we were a bad team and Orton disserves "his share" of the blame. Still the position taken by many posters on the Orton situation seems at the very least overboard. Orton was a "cog in the wheel" and the wheel was broken.

Lancane
08-26-2011, 11:45 PM

Actually, I think we are all tired of it (we should be)...we need a changeover to some happy sort of medium regarding the debate where at least the majority supports the starter, whether it's Tebow or someone from the draft. I think all of us or I'd hope are indeed tired of the quarterback carousel in Denver, the debates and at times, all out wars.

I admit I dislike Orton, I defended him last year because early on he could do no more himself to win games, people expected it of him...but he's just not that type of quarterback to shoulder and carry a team. So why criticize him when he did the job to the best of his ability? It wasn't until the Kansas City game, and the Arizona game where I saw him just quit in my opinion when I stopped defending him, at that point I was done. But I disliked him before all that and tried my best to support him, but after all that, after what has happened and the other bullshit, I am just done with it. Like you said, it's getting old and I think the whole fanbase is sincerely ready to move on and hopefully for good.

BroncoStud
08-27-2011, 03:22 PM

Apparently you haven't read "enough of my posts" because I have always said I have no issue with Orton the human, it's Orton the QB that is boring as hell to watch and Orton the QB that gets traded and benched.

I don't hate anyone, especially an NFL QB I've never met. I'm sure he's a good enough guy.

Maybe you should take your "hatred" of me and bug off. :salute:

:laugh:

pnbronco
08-27-2011, 03:37 PM
Whatever the word for the Orton "dissatisfaction" it is a little to much in my opinion. Last year we were a bad team and Orton disserves "his share" of the blame. Still the position taken by many posters on the Orton situation seems at the very least overboard. Orton was a "cog in the wheel" and the wheel was broken.

CAN so well put. The wheel was broken, we had no running game the D was dead last, not any special in Special Teams. Injury after injury and it was just ugly in so many different ways.

I too am so sick of the QB debate. I only hope that the team is headed in the right direction and it gets build it back to where play offs are more than a distant memory.

Agent of Orange
08-27-2011, 04:52 PM
If we're winning games Orton will be palatable. Even so I think the way things are shaking out right it would take something remarkable for EFX to offer Orton franchise quarterback money.

Debateable.

Agent of Orange
08-27-2011, 05:02 PM

I hate him. I don't mind saying it. He's a fraud and I hate frauds. I hate how he claims to be all about his teammates until he's on the bench. He's not a leader. I hate how he drops to the ground at the slightest hint of pressure like he has no balls. I hate how he loves to check down. I hate how he pisses down his leg when it matters most. I also hate how he is always looking over to the sideline as if he's thinking, "did I do good, coach...yay me!".

I hate the guy. A lot of what I mentioned, I overlooked until he made various comments exposing him as a fraud.

I'll never like the guy. And I doubt Im the only one who feels this way. It's a perfectly acceptable point of view to have. Actually, more people shoudl share this point of view.

What I dread is if the team is actually good at running the ball and has a better defense, people will try to pretend like the teams success is because of Orton. Because you know it will happen. Sadly, there are a lot of fans who are that basic.

Canmore
08-27-2011, 05:16 PM
CAN so well put. The wheel was broken, we had no running game the D was dead last, not any special in Special Teams. Injury after injury and it was just ugly in so many different ways.

I too am so sick of the QB debate. I only hope that the team is headed in the right direction and it gets build it back to where play offs are more than a distant memory.

The quarterback debate is tiresome, but it is still headline news. Just look at all the ink Tebow is getting.

Not an Orton lover, I would rather we started Tebow but that is not the decision made. So we have Kyle Orton for one more year. He does not turn the ball over. He also threw last season for a ton of yards, too many of them were empty though. Still, I have hopes for the season. With a effective run game and I'm hoping it's effective, Kyle's third down conversion percentage has to improve. It can't get much worse. If it improves sustatially and that's a big if, we may be ok.

BroncoStud
08-27-2011, 05:19 PM
A of O, I agree that many fans will try to prop up Orton just like the media is right now. Everybody loves and underdog, and for some reason he has been painted as one.

Orton is an average player, he has average skills, and he lacks real leadership and he plays the QB position like a bitch. I don't know how else to put it.

Do I hate the guy personally? Of course not. I don't know him. I can only formulate an opinion of him by how he plays and what he says to the media.

I don't see much of a chance he gets extended next year. He is the anti-Elway and Elway knows it, he's seen it, he's watched it, he's heard Orton's comments...

Orton was thrust on us by McDaniels, now McDaniels is gone and Orton will soon follow. I still stand by my belief that Orton will be benched or hurt by week 10 and he won't play another down in Denver after that. He's still the same player no matter how much ESPN and Mike Silver tell Denver fans otherwise. His arm isn't suddenly strong, he isn't suddenly mobile, he isn't suddenly clutch, he isn't suddenly athletic. He's still Orton.

And while it's COOL right now to bash on Tebow and love Orton, we'll revisit this during the year when the sheep have gotten a reminder of what it's like to watch Orton or 3rd down, in the redzone, when Denver is trailing in a close game, or when a game is on the line.

Sheep "Baaaaaaaa", chokers choke, and things work out. Orton the guy I don't dislike, Orton the player is brutal to watch.

Canmore
08-27-2011, 05:42 PM
A of O, I agree that many fans will try to prop up Orton just like the media is right now. Everybody loves and underdog, and for some reason he has been painted as one.

Orton is an average player, he has average skills, and he lacks real leadership and he plays the QB position like a bitch. I don't know how else to put it.

Do I hate the guy personally? Of course not. I don't know him. I can only formulate an opinion of him by how he plays and what he says to the media.

It will be a good day in Denver when he is gone next offseason. There is probably barely above a 0% chance he gets extended next year. He is the anti-Elway and Elway knows it, he's seen it, he's watched it, he's heard Orton's comments...

Orton was thrust on us by McDaniels, now McDaniels is gone and Orton will soon follow. I still stand by my belief that Orton will be benched or hurt by week 10 and he won't play another down in Denver after that. He's still the same Orton no mater how much ESPN and Mike Silver tell Denver fans otherwise. His arm isn't suddenly strong, he isn't suddenly mobile, he isn't suddenly clutch, he isn't suddenly athletic. He's still Orton.

And while it's COOL right now to bash on Tebow and love Orton, we'll revisit this during the year when the sheep have gotten a reminder of what it's like to watch Orton or 3rd down, in the redzone, when Denver is trailing in a close game, or when a game is on the line. The sheep will be "Baaaa'ing" in dismay and we will be there to remind the herd why they are sheep.

If Orton performs like 2010 in these situations, the fans are going to be booing and boing hard with good reason. I for one am hoping Kyle shows us something different and if the running game is improved and effective, Kyle will not have any excuses for poor performance.

Tned
08-27-2011, 06:01 PM
The quarterback debate is tiresome, but it is still headline news. Just look at all the ink Tebow is getting.

Klis just Tweeted that ESPN just called him to be on Sports Center. They asked him three questions. All of them about Tebow.

TXBRONC
08-27-2011, 07:23 PM
Debateable.

Not for me.

hamrob
08-27-2011, 07:35 PM
Personally, I think Orton could be a really good QB. He's close.

But, he needs to utilize his full arsenal of players. He needs to use his TE more (he didn't at all the last 2yrs) and he needs develop more than one go to guy. We have the talent, but he has to allow players other than Lloyd to make the big play now and then.

Here's the big challenge for Orton. He needs to grow a SACK!

His problem in the redzone, is that he only plays the sidelines and the very back of the endzone...he doesn't have the balls to zing it in there to the TE or anyone else. If we would smoke a few in there, he'll get the outside working more effectively.

Orton is killer between the 20's...with a good run game, more distribution of the ball on 3rd downs and in the red-zone, and more confidence to throw the ball into tight spaces in the red zone...he'd be a pretty darn good QB.

I just think he's a guy whose satisfied with who he is now. Here's a guy who is making nearly $9m/yr this year. He could live the rest of his life is style with that doe alone. Is he hungry enough to get to the next level? Tim Tebow comes along and Orton finally visits the gym...that's amazing in itself.

I want to see Kyle Orton step it up this year. We'll see. I'll be rooting for him.

Northman
08-27-2011, 07:39 PM
Personally, I think Orton could be a really good QB. He's close.

But, he needs to utilize his full arsenal of players. He needs to use his TE more (he didn't at all the last 2yrs) and he needs develop more than one go to guy. We have the talent, but he has to allow players other than Lloyd to make the big play now and then.

Here's the big challenge for Orton. He needs to grow a SACK!

His problem in the redzone, is that he only plays the sidelines and the very back of the endzone...he doesn't have the balls to zing it in there to the TE or anyone else. If we would smoke a few in there, he'll get the outside working more effectively.

Orton is killer between the 20's...with a good run game, more distribution of the ball on 3rd downs and in the red-zone, and more confidence to throw the ball into tight spaces in the red zone...he'd be a pretty darn good QB.

I just think he's a guy whose satisfied with who he is now. Here's a guy who is making nearly $9m/yr this year. He could live the rest of his life is style with that doe alone. Is he hungry enough to get to the next level? Tim Tebow comes along and Orton finally visits the gym...that's amazing in itself.

I want to see Kyle Orton step it up this year. We'll see. I'll be rooting for him.

Well, in Orton's defense he hasnt had any TE's to throw too the last two years. McD took care of that for him. But, the problem for Orton is he just isnt a risk taker. His passing and decision making is too conservative so while he is good at taking care of the ball he also wont be able to make plays when things break down. I seriously doubt he is going to change at this point in his career. If he has a all world defense he can "guide" a team to a championship but not win it as the leader.

chazoe60
08-27-2011, 07:45 PM
Well, in Orton's defense he hasnt had any TE's to throw too the last two years. McD took care of that for him. But, the problem for Orton is he just isnt a risk taker. His passing and decision making is too conservative so while he is good at taking care of the ball he also wont be able to make plays when things break down. I seriously doubt he is going to change at this point in his career. If he has a all world defense he can "guide" a team to a championship but not win it as the leader.

It really is no surprise whatsoever that he credits Brian Griese as one of his biggest mentors. He's got the same "yeah we lost but I didn't throw any picks so "Yay me!" attitude.

Northman
08-27-2011, 07:50 PM
It really is no surprise whatsoever that he credits Brian Griese as one of his biggest mentors. He's got the same "yeah we lost but I didn't throw any picks so "Yay me!" attitude.

Well, unlike some i dont really hate or get angry at Orton's character. He seems like a laid back guy and im fine with that. But he also isnt the "go after it" kind of QB either and that is why he takes the criticism that he gets because he doesnt take charge of the offense and doesnt make the plays a QB needs to make when things break down or on the line. Flacco in Bmore is very similiar and could be a problem for Bmore when it matters most for them.

TXBRONC
08-27-2011, 07:52 PM

Something I'm concerned about is what is Orton going to do if teams start bracketing off Lloyd like the Chiefs at Arrowhead last year.

Slick
08-27-2011, 07:54 PM
True, north and chazoe... And The difference between the game managers and the good qbs is taking what the defense gives you and having the ability of taking from the defense once in a while.

Lets see if kyle can do it.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Canmore
08-27-2011, 07:56 PM
True, north and chazoe... And The difference between the game managers and the good qbs is taking what the defense gives you and having the ability of taking from the defense once in a while.

This is what Kyle needs to do. Well said.

TXBRONC
08-27-2011, 07:59 PM

This is what Kyle needs to do. Well said.

It's a mind set and after being in the League seven years with that mentality I doubt it will change.

Canmore
08-27-2011, 08:02 PM
It's a mind set and after being in the League seven years with that mentality I doubt it will change.

I think you are right. A tiger can't change it's stripes and a leopard does't change it's spots. Still Kyle's game has evolved each year he has played. Why not this year a little better on third down and a little less game manager?

Northman
08-27-2011, 08:05 PM
I think you are right. A tiger can't change it's stripes and a leopard does't change it's spots. Still Kyle's game has evolved each year he has played. Why not this year a little better on third down and a little less game manager?

Would be nice but unless he is willing to take some shots when it matters i just dont have faith he can be the man. But, i think McGahee and Moreno (if he stays healthy) will be a huge lift for him. Just so as long as he doesnt audible out of the run plays. :lol:

TXBRONC
08-27-2011, 08:16 PM
Not a very good first series on offense but the defenses first series was pretty good other than not coming up with couple of sacks.

tomjonesrocks
08-28-2011, 02:25 PM
I wrote this in another thread, but the QB we need to move is Quinn. For whatever reason Orton is entrenched as a starter and meanwhile Quinn walks next year for nothing.

Which means the Broncos will have traded the guy on the cover of Madden 2012 for nothing.

Get something for Quinn for God's sake.

Northman
08-28-2011, 02:49 PM
I wrote this in another thread, but the QB we need to move is Quinn. For whatever reason Orton is entrenched as a starter and meanwhile Quinn walks next year for nothing.

Which means the Broncos will have traded the guy on the cover of Madden 2012 for nothing.

Unfortuantely he isnt worth much.

Lancane
08-28-2011, 04:09 PM
Unfortuantely he isnt worth much.

Well, I know you and I talked about this once or twice before, but I believe that was McDaniels' original plan, he was going to have Orton run the offense for one season, build up his stats and then trade him, and I believe that's why he traded for Quinn, so he could trade Orton and then he'd have Quinn start for a couple seasons with Tebow in the wings, build up Quinn's value and then eventually trade him. I don't think he realized how difficult doing any of those things would be.

This is one reason I would like to see Tebow succeed, we've traded so much to have such mediocrity at the position, it's truly disgusting that we've wasted so much and have so little to show for it.

Npba900
08-29-2011, 06:45 PM
A scenario could be set should Orton become injured, Quinn steps in and performs admirable to garner trade interest from other teams in 2012.

EFX could also have plans to draft a QB in 2012 and allow the rookie QB and Tebow battle it out in training camp and preseason to decide the starter in 2012.

Northman
08-29-2011, 07:45 PM
A scenario could be set should Orton become injured, Quinn steps in and performs admirable to garner trade interest from other teams in 2012.

EFX could also have plans to draft a QB in 2012 and allow the rookie QB and Tebow battle it out in training camp and preseason to decide the starter in 2012.

Or Quinn just outright wins the job.

NightTerror218
08-29-2011, 07:46 PM
Or Quinn just outright wins the job.

Or Tebow looks amazing at end of season due to the other injuries and media hell breaks lose.

Northman
08-29-2011, 07:49 PM
Or Tebow looks amazing at end of season due to the other injuries and media hell breaks lose.

Or.....

To really make Bronco Nation happy Orton plays balls out and Denver offers him a 6 year $100 million dollar contract. :coffee::lol:

TXBRONC
08-29-2011, 07:51 PM

I don't think Quinn would garner much in trade.

Npba900
08-30-2011, 09:02 AM
Actually, I think we are all tired of it (we should be)...we need a changeover to some happy sort of medium regarding the debate where at least the majority supports the starter, whether it's Tebow or someone from the draft. I think all of us or I'd hope are indeed tired of the quarterback carousel in Denver, the debates and at times, all out wars.

I admit I dislike Orton, I defended him last year because early on he could do no more himself to win games, people expected it of him...but he's just not that type of quarterback to shoulder and carry a team. So why criticize him when he did the job to the best of his ability? It wasn't until the Kansas City game, and the Arizona game where I saw him just quit in my opinion when I stopped defending him, at that point I was done. But I disliked him before all that and tried my best to support him, but after all that, after what has happened and the other bullshit, I am just done with it. Like you said, it's getting old and I think the whole fanbase is sincerely ready to move on and hopefully for good.

None the less, EFX are going to have to do something to quell the QB controversy at some point. The smart choice if possible would be to position the Broncos to draft one of the top 3-5 QB's coming out of the draft in 2012.

This of course is contingent upon whether its determined that Orton will be gone next season which he probably will be. Tebow obviously won't be given the starting job next season and still must prove he can beat out Quinn and the projected high No.1 pick at QB next year.

The scenario could be that No.1 QB drafted by EFX may not be ready to play in 2012, thus giving Tebow the opportunity to beat out Quinn and start to eventually increase his trade value down the road. Thats the least Denver can do for Tebow.

Lancane
08-30-2011, 03:31 PM
Or.....

To really make Bronco Nation happy Orton plays balls out and Denver offers him a 6 year $100 million dollar contract. :coffee::lol:

Not even remotely funny! :tsk:

:laugh:

vandammage13
08-30-2011, 03:43 PM

That is probably a reason that factored into him not playing last week and why he is not going to play much in the final preseason game.

After Quinn's strong showing in the second game, they probably don't want him to screw up and ruin any trade value he might have.

SOCALORADO.
08-30-2011, 04:17 PM

This is what the magic 8-ball says! Wala!
EFX didnt bring in any of these no talent @$$ clowns QBs.
They are not invested in them in any way, and TT has already been paid, even further distancing them from all 3. Orton/Quinn will walk, and Luck or Barkley will be drafted.
Theres no way in hell that Elway misses any STAN/USC games this year.

NightTerror218
08-30-2011, 05:18 PM
This is what the magic 8-ball says! Wala!
EFX didnt bring in any of these no talent @$$ clowns QBs.
They are not invested in them in any way, and TT has already been paid, even further distancing them from all 3. Orton/Quinn will walk, and Luck or Barkley will be drafted.
Theres no way in hell that Elway misses any STAN/USC games this year.

Except they will already be drafted by the time we our number comes up at 10. Seattle is trading up for Barkley and worst team in the league wont miss out on Luck.