PDA

View Full Version : The Opposite of an Asshat

BeefStew25
08-26-2011, 07:26 AM
Man, I love this. Earn respect. Don't demand it.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18760899

"Fair, unfair or however you want to address it, you gave an opportunity to an unproven guy and you've seen what happened," former Broncos tight end and CBS NFL analyst Shannon Sharpe said. "You couldn't go with another unproven guy and hope he rectifies the wrong that the other unproven guy had before him. You had to go stability. You had to go with a guy who has been a head coach before and has had success as an NFL head coach."

Tned
08-26-2011, 07:43 AM
That was a good read. This is one article worth clicking on and reading the whole thing.

SOCALORADO.
08-26-2011, 07:51 AM
Good read.

chazoe60
08-26-2011, 08:13 AM
A dickboot?

TXBRONC
08-26-2011, 08:35 AM
I agree this a good read and well worth the time to click on the link.

Bowlen "comfortable" with what Broncos coach Fox brings to table
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 08/26/2011 01:00:00 AM MDT

Conveniently for Pat Bowlen, his new coach, John Fox, had made the unusual directive of moving practice to the nearer of the two fields.This allowed Bowlen to sit on a shaded bench, talk about the impact his new coach has made on the working environment of the team he owns, and watch star cornerback Champ Bailey and safety Brian Dawkins, who have a combined 18 Pro Bowl berths, walk by a few feet away.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18760899?_requestid=1637145

I think this quote epitomize why people like Fox and why his players generally are fiercely loyal to him.

Dreadnought
08-26-2011, 08:37 AM
Very much sounds like a real adult is running the show. Refreshing, to put it mildly.

Jsteve01
08-26-2011, 08:42 AM
I just want to know if Fox twirls his whistle....Your sources have anything on that for us beef?

But in all seriousness. I really like Fox, the more I learn about him the more I like him, and anyone that thinks he's going to let someone force Tebow on him after the Claussen debacle last year, had better reconsider

chazoe60
08-26-2011, 08:48 AM
I love the Fox hire. He will get the defense going and I think he'll let the offense do their thing as long as yhey don't put the defense in bad spots too much.

I hope we can combine Fox's defense with that "Big QB led offense" that they wrote about in the article. Best of both worlds baby.

Jsteve01
08-26-2011, 09:12 AM
I had no idea their GM effectively fired 6 assistant coaches after the 2008 season in which Carolina went 12-4...ouch

Ravage!!!
08-26-2011, 09:42 AM
anyone else as happy as I am that I don't have to see the "mini-me" sweatshirt on the sidelines anymore? Man was that embarrassing.

arapaho2
08-26-2011, 10:33 AM
anyone else as happy as I am that I don't have to see the "mini-me" sweatshirt on the sidelines anymore? Man was that embarrassing.

or have him screaming on the sideline, sounding like Joe Pesci with his nuts in a vice

silkamilkamonico
08-26-2011, 11:11 AM
I had no idea their GM effectively fired 6 assistant coaches after the 2008 season in which Carolina went 12-4...ouch

Carolina's owner is a mega douche.

Northman
08-26-2011, 12:11 PM
My favorite quote.

Bowlen cares first about winning, but if given a choice of styles, he prefers having a big-time quarterback and offense that can put up the points. Fans like their football that way. But the offensive-minded Shanahan and McDaniels couldn't win, at least not enough, without an Elway-like quarterback. Meanwhile, the unattended defense gradually slipped from mediocre to dreadful.

Read more: Pat Bowlen "comfortable" with what Broncos coach Fox brings to table - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18760899#ixzz1W9iwETKR
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

jhildebrand
08-26-2011, 01:04 PM
ahhhemmmm

i only answered the phone

ahhhhhemmmm

Nice to have a MAN as HC not a weasel

Ravage!!!
08-26-2011, 01:06 PM
ahhhemmmm

i only answered the phone

ahhhhhemmmm

Nice to have a MAN as HC not a weasel

*lip smack* *lip smack*

Dzone
08-26-2011, 01:11 PM
Fox is cool, man

BeefStew25
08-26-2011, 02:12 PM
He obviously is going to have to win games, but I sure like the way he treats his guys and carries himself.

Lancane
08-26-2011, 02:29 PM
He obviously is going to have to win games, but I sure like the way he treats his guys and carries himself.

He's a player's coach that's for sure, which is not surprising after all he's from Fassel's coaching tree like Sean Payton and Eric Studesville, all of them seem to have a rapport with the players they coach.

Dreadnought
08-26-2011, 02:37 PM
He's a player's coach that's for sure, which is not surprising after all he's from Fassel's coaching tree like Sean Payton and Eric Studesville, all of them seem to have a rapport with the players they coach.

Well, the prior regime had a level of rapport with certain players, provided of course that they were one of the coach's chair-sniffers or lickspittles.

BeefStew25
08-26-2011, 04:16 PM
And I wouldn't say he is a players coach per say. He doesn't seem to coddle his guys. But he doesn't roast or humiliate them in public, and treats them like men.

He also speaks in cliche terms to the media, but does it without being a dick.

Tned
08-26-2011, 04:37 PM

At the risk of being flamed, I liked McDaniels enthusiasm and energy on the sidelines and in a lot of his interviews/pressers. I actually miss that.

NightTerror218
08-26-2011, 04:53 PM
At the risk of being flamed, I liked McDaniels enthusiasm and energy on the sidelines and in a lot of his interviews/pressers. I actually miss that.

I likee Fox's calm cool. He keeps it cool. McD had temper tantrums

BroncoWave
08-26-2011, 04:55 PM

Me too. It was one of my favorite things about him.

Tned
I likee Fox's calm cool. He keeps it cool. McD had temper tantrums

I would say he had passion for the game -- a love of the game, if you will.

Northman

I dont think you will get flamed for that. But his energy and firery personality just wasnt enough and was hollow in the end when he couldnt put together wins. The sad thing for McD is for some of the good things he was able to do he followed it up with disaster.

Tned
08-26-2011, 04:56 PM
I dont think you will get flamed for that. But his energy and firery personality just wasnt enough and was hollow in the end when he couldnt put together wins. The sad thing for McD is for some of the good things he was able to do he followed it up with disaster.

100% agreement.

Jsteve01
08-26-2011, 05:20 PM

Coaching at any level is about a lot more than x's and o's. Josh never got that

dogfish
08-26-2011, 05:29 PM
And I wouldn't say he is a players coach per say. He doesn't seem to coddle his guys. But he doesn't roast or humiliate them in public, and treats them like men.

He also speaks in cliche terms to the media, but does it without being a dick.

he acts like a professional, in other words. . . .

he acts like he's been there before. . .

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-26-2011, 05:41 PM
This little zinger from Fox was pretty funny.

"But I was ready to get back in coaching because the process in Carolina — everybody thinks it was a sudden, one-year deal — but the process had been going on since the end of the '08 season. And I was anxious to get back into a situation where you could be competitive."

:laugh:

Read more: Pat Bowlen "comfortable" with what Broncos coach Fox brings to table - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18760899?_requestid=1637145#ixzz1WB3dpzuy
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

nevcraw
08-26-2011, 05:42 PM
i just love it when Stew uses the word asshat!

BeefStew25
08-26-2011, 08:49 PM
Me too. It was one of my favorite things about him.

But when someone spazzes out at the time, it quickly loses it's effectiveness.

Kinda like if everything is an emergency, then nothing really is.

I dunno. Hashing up the past can be tedious. I am sooooo pumped for Monday night in section 524.

Lancane
08-26-2011, 11:22 PM
A dickboot?

I'd have to go with Slapnuts...

:lol:

broncoFan!
08-27-2011, 12:32 AM
I'd have to go with Slapnuts...

:lol:

That's pretty funny. :laugh: