PDA

View Full Version : Boomer Esiason: Tim Tebow can’t play, can’t throw

DenBronx
08-24-2011, 02:34 PM
Posted by Michael David Smith on August 24, 2011, 2:07 PM EDT

Move aside, Merril Hoge. You now have competition as Tim Tebow’s harshest critic.

Boomer Esiason, the former Bengals quarterback and current CBS analyst, says Tebow has no business being an NFL quarterback, and just because Tebow was successful at Florida, that’s no reason to think he’ll ever be any good with the Broncos.

“He can’t play. He can’t throw,” Esiason said, via Mike McCarthy of USA Today. “I’m not here to insult him. The reality is he was a great college football player, maybe the greatest college football player of his time. But he’s not an NFL quarterback right now. Just because he’s God-fearing, and a great person off the field, and was a winner with the team that had the best athletes in college football, doesn’t mean his game is going to translate to the NFL.”

Esiason says he can’t imagine why the old coaching staff wanted Tebow and doesn’t see what good it does for the current coaching staff to keep him around.

Read the rest:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/24/boomer-esiason-tim-tebow-cant-play-cant-throw/

rationalfan
08-24-2011, 02:35 PM
the nfl's "a copycat league."

apparently nfl commentary is the same.

DenBronx
08-24-2011, 02:39 PM
the nfl's "a copycat league."

apparently nfl commentary is the same.

There was nothing all offseason. Then when one guy in the media uses it as a story the rest jump in all at the same time to get their names noticed.

Merril Hoge and Boomers Superbowl victories combined = 0

At least Tebow still has a chance and they dont. :coffee:

Dzone
08-24-2011, 02:50 PM
Watched that san diego dallas game on sunday night. Damn, what is that throwing motion of Phillip Rivers? Thats some funky looking shit right there.
It looks like a wind up, sidearm, push pass/shot put sort of a throw

Northman
08-24-2011, 02:54 PM
Boomer couldnt win a SB.

But seriously, Boomer answered his own question. Shows how much of a dolt he is.

But he’s not an NFL quarterback right now.

Uh, hello Boom? Earth to Boom? The kid has only played 3 games with 3 starts.

Again, i have to go here because i cant believe how moronic he is. In Boomer's 3 actual starts these are his numbers compared to Tebow's first 3 starts.

T.Tebow:
651 yds, 4 passing TDs, 3 Ints

Boomer Esiason
517 yds, 5 TDs, 2 Ints

Now the kicker here is that in 84' Boomer took some snaps in 9 of the games that year. Meaning, Anderson and some other QB were playing a majority of the snaps but at some point Boomer was brought in to take snaps so he got some live game playing time regardless if he was the starter or not. He had a little bit of playing time in 1 game in 85' right before he took over for good. So i dont get Boomer's BS about Tim not being able to play, thats just horsey poo. He has played just as well as Boom and he did it without a legitimate HC in place, a TERRIBLE defense, and a lackluster running game, and did it without any practice with 1st teamers and any playing time throughout the season with Orton. Sorry, Boomer just like Hoge is a fraud. I dont mind opposing or critical views of Tebow but when people are just flat out making shit up or proclaiming him an absolute failure after 3 games i just cant take them seriously. Ok, my rant is over. lol

BORDERLINE
08-24-2011, 02:54 PM
Last year Champ said he wanted a shot to play with Tebow. Lloyd was saying he was preparing himself for Tebow to be the starter. John Elway has said he is Tebow's biggest fan and well no one is here defending him. I say the entire Broncos players and staff come out and support TEBOW. This guy is like a pinata right now first all the little kids (Hodge, Boomer) start to smack him and you just know those bigger kids are anxious for their turn.

3 starts which he played well in and they are crucifying him(no pun intended).

Dzone
08-24-2011, 02:58 PM
Joe Montana, the greatest QB of all time, on Dan Patrick today, discussing Tebow:
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2011/08/joe-montana-tim-tebow-throwing-motion/1

Northman
08-24-2011, 03:09 PM
Joe Montana, the greatest QB of all time, on Dan Patrick today, discussing Tebow:
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2011/08/joe-montana-tim-tebow-throwing-motion/1

Yea, but what does this loser know.......

slim
08-24-2011, 03:16 PM
Boomer couldnt win a SB.

But seriously, Boomer answered his own question. Shows how much of a dolt he is.

Again, i have to go here because i cant believe how moronic he is. In Boomer's 3 actual starts these are his numbers compared to Tebow's first 3 starts.

T.Tebow:

Boomer Esiason
517 yds, 5 TDs, 2 Ints

Now the kicker here is that in 84' Boomer took some snaps in 9 of the games that year. Meaning, Anderson and some other QB were playing a majority of the snaps but at some point Boomer was brought in to take snaps so he got some live game playing time regardless if he was the starter or not. He had a little bit of playing time in 1 game in 85' right before he took over for good. So i dont get Boomer's BS about Tim not being able to play, thats just horsey poo. He has played just as well as Boom and he did it without a legitimate HC in place, a TERRIBLE defense, and a lackluster running game, and did it without any practice with 1st teamers and any playing time throughout the season with Orton. Sorry, Boomer just like Hoge is a fraud. I dont mind opposing or critical views of Tebow but when people are just flat out making shit up or proclaiming him an absolute failure after 3 games i just cant take them seriously. Ok, my rant is over. lol

So Tebow, a raw QB that had never taken a snap under center, played better than Boomer did in his first three games?

So, what happens when Tebow gets comfortable with taking the snap, making the drops and reads, and the speed of the game?

How anyone can completely write the kid off is baffling to me.

Davii
08-24-2011, 03:24 PM
So Tebow, a raw QB that had never taken a snap under center, played better than Boomer did in his first three games?

So, what happens when Tebow gets comfortable with taking the snap, making the drops and reads, and the speed of the game?

That's my thing too. Draft position aside, etc, why would you write him off? Tebow clearly needs a lot of work, but I'm relatively certain there are few who would work harder. If he doesn't get it, well, he'll be gone eventually. But to give up on him now is doing him, the organization, and especially the fans a huge diservice. Let him learn, let him work, let him develop, and then see what he's got.

I think Tim will surprise some people with the right tutelage. We shall see. If not, well, we lose nothing more by getting rid of him next year our the year after than we do getting rid of him today.

sneakers
08-24-2011, 03:26 PM
At least Tebow never played for the bengals.

Northman
08-24-2011, 03:30 PM

Keep in mind, those stats dont include his rushing yds and TD's he made. Im just sticking to the passing aspect which seems to be Boomer's and Hoge's issue.

chazoe60
08-24-2011, 03:32 PM
Hey Norman, shut the **** up.

arapaho2
08-24-2011, 03:36 PM
did anyone else catch this post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu8q3363qTk&feature=player_embedded

boomer saying peyton manning will be the next marino...wont get to a superbowl

moron:lol:

Northman
08-24-2011, 03:42 PM
did anyone else catch this post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu8q3363qTk&feature=player_embedded

boomer saying peyton manning will be the next marino...wont get to a superbowl

moron:lol:

Yea, i remember that. Marino was PISSED. They didnt show it in that clip but i remember him staring down Boomer for a while before they went to break. But i just kept saying to myself, "Boomer didnt get one either".

Watchthemiddle
08-24-2011, 03:47 PM

Montana who beat up on Boomer said good things about Tebow....so Boomer who is a Bengal...:laugh:..nuff said...felt he needed to give his $.02.

That is why Boomer, Hoge, etc are on tv and Elway, Marino, and Montana are not. They don't need to boost their egos because they were failures in the NFL and could make something out of themselves after they reached the HOF.

Give me a HOF'r who has an analysis of Tebow and I will listen. Until then, all of the HOF'ers I have heard talk about TT says he can play.

carry on.
\

:coffee:

MileHighCrew
08-24-2011, 04:14 PM

IMO John was better than Joe

GEM
08-24-2011, 04:29 PM
This morning on Vic & Gary they pulled Boomer's numbers from his first 3 games. Everything but his completion percentage was worse than Tebow's. And his was 54% so only 4% better and still shitty.

Just sayin.

CoachChaz
08-24-2011, 04:31 PM
Media hype. Tebow's name sells merchandise and headlines. If he was drafted in the 2nd round, they wouldnt talk quite as much. If he wasnt Jesus 2.0, they wouldnt say shit. Boomer even went so far as to include Tebow's faith in his rant. I dare him to use Cam Newton and his muslim faith (if he is) in a rant. See how long he keeps his job.

I'm not a Tebow supporter, but I know that many QB's take a little time to develop and TT is no different. Teams didnt write off Rodgers or McNair, etc when they took 3 years to develop...why Timmy. I guess it just confuses me as to why he is the exception to the rule.

In the meantime, I'll sit back and wait and see what happens. If he figures it out...great. If not, then on to the next option...which hopefully isnt Luck/Barkley/Jones

sneakers
08-24-2011, 04:31 PM
I was going to say something mean about his kid, but then I remembered that Boomer is the one being a dick here.

GEM
08-24-2011, 04:32 PM
Fans are calling into 104.3 and begging them to talk about something other than Tebow. They flat out refused saying they can't because Tebow is a phenomenon and now it's national and Denver has never seen the likes of a personality like Tebow.

Horse shit.

sneakers
08-24-2011, 04:34 PM
Fans are calling into 104.3 and begging them to talk about something other than Tebow. They flat out refused saying they can't because Tebow is a phenomenon and now it's national and Denver has never seen the likes of a personality like Tebow.

Horse shit.

Just wait until the regular season and people start bitching about wins and losses, then it will be over.

Bugs Baloney
08-24-2011, 06:38 PM
What the hell is wrong with people. Go away Boomer, we hate you! :tsk:

bcbronc
08-24-2011, 10:46 PM
Boomer couldnt win a SB.

T.Tebow:

Boomer Esiason
517 yds, 5 TDs, 2 Ints

This is a great post, but it does raise one little question...what the hell does Boomer's first three games or lack of Super Bowls have to do with his ability to analyse? The correct answer, is...nadda, zilch, zippo.

Are you even picking up the irony here? Us randoms on a football message board know more about a guy with 18 seasons as a pro, four pro-bowls, 2 all pros, 1 league MVP, 247 wins and over 37k yards because he didn't win a Super Bowl? But I'm sure if a pundit is all a-goo-goo over Tebow, winning a Super Bowl or getting into the HOF is no longer a pre-requisite to being able to judge talent.

Ya, you don't mind criticism of Tebow all right...:laugh:

This morning on Vic & Gary they pulled Boomer's numbers from his first 3 games. Everything but his completion percentage was worse than Tebow's. And his was 54% so only 4% better and still shitty.

Just sayin.

According to the stats posted above, Boomer also threw more TDs and less Ints, and that in a completely different era as far as playing defense goes. It's still completely meaningless as far as whether Boomer's analyse is accurate or not...just sayin'.

As for the article and Boomer's comments, his critique of Tebow's QB ability at this point is fair enough. Where I disagree is the sentiment in the article that Tebow is just wasting a roster spot. Even if he's unlikely to ever become a #1 QB he still brings value. The league has become so specialized that WildCat QBs like Brad Smith get good money and long term as UFAs. Tebow doesn't have to sit in the pocket and throw pretty spirals to help us win, he has shown he can create TDs out of limited touches.

If he can produce 7+ TDs combined through the air and with his legs, and sprinkle in some 3rd down conversions, I don't care if Tebow gets listed as punter and only sees the field 10 times a game. It would certainly be short sighted to dump him at this point because despite all the criticism--sorry, hate--he can help this team win even if he's not a good QB.

Dzone
08-24-2011, 11:05 PM
Hey Esiason- Yipee Kiya Mr Falcon!!!:pound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3MmU...eature=related

Northman
08-24-2011, 11:14 PM
This is a great post, but it does raise one little question...what the hell does Boomer's first three games or lack of Super Bowls have to do with his ability to analyse?

My first line about his lack of SB victories was tongue and cheek. Boomer makes it a habit to bust Dan Marino's balls about lack of SB wins yet had never won one himself. But as far as his ability to analyse it really isnt that much different than the average joe. Sorry if you disagree but when your a commentator and you put yourself out there and claim a player cant play after 3 games your just making yourself look like a moron.

Nah, i dont mind. there are plenty of members and commentators who criticize Tebow's issues yet dont sound like dolts in the process. Im actually pretty thankful that Boom, Hoge, and yourself are in the small minority who dont get it. ;)

Lancane
08-24-2011, 11:34 PM
Posted by Michael David Smith on August 24, 2011, 2:07 PM EDT

Move aside, Merril Hoge. You now have competition as Tim Tebow’s harshest critic.

Boomer Esiason, the former Bengals quarterback and current CBS analyst, says Tebow has no business being an NFL quarterback, and just because Tebow was successful at Florida, that’s no reason to think he’ll ever be any good with the Broncos.

“He can’t play. He can’t throw,” Esiason said, via Mike McCarthy of USA Today. “I’m not here to insult him. The reality is he was a great college football player, maybe the greatest college football player of his time. But he’s not an NFL quarterback right now. Just because he’s God-fearing, and a great person off the field, and was a winner with the team that had the best athletes in college football, doesn’t mean his game is going to translate to the NFL.”

Esiason says he can’t imagine why the old coaching staff wanted Tebow and doesn’t see what good it does for the current coaching staff to keep him around.

Read the rest:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/24/boomer-esiason-tim-tebow-cant-play-cant-throw/

Sadly DB, it's his simply his singular opinion and until Tebow proves otherwise it's one that will grow as time begins to grind on. And not just with Esiason, but with more and more who are respected in the field, both analytical and otherwise. If Tebow wasn't such a beloved and polarizing figure I don't think that such comments would have garnered as much attention.

bcbronc
08-24-2011, 11:40 PM
My first line about his lack of SB victories was tongue and cheek. Boomer makes it a habit to bust Dan Marino's balls about lack of SB wins yet had never won one himself. But as far as his ability to analyse it really isnt that much different than the average joe. Sorry if you disagree but when your a commentator and you put yourself out there and claim a player cant play after 3 games your just making yourself look like a moron.

wait, so playing how many years, many at a pretty high level, doesn't give Boomer any more clout than the average joe? All those years spent listening to coaches, breaking down film, game planning, seeing things happen on the field, and he's got nothing more to add than you or me?

Let me guess, you're doing the tongue and cheek thing again, right?

Nah, i dont mind. there are plenty of members and commentators who criticize Tebow's issues yet dont sound like dolts in the process. Im actually pretty thankful that Boom, Hoge, and yourself are in the small minority who dont get it. ;)

waaaaaait a minuuuuuute....I thought the whole world was out to get Tebow? But now it's just me in a group of three? This despite me saying in the post you quoted (although you snipped it out) that Tebow can help us win, right now as is?

You're right about one thing, when it comes to the "logic" you use in your posts, I don't get it. For that, I'm thankful.

Canmore
08-24-2011, 11:40 PM
This is a great post, but it does raise one little question...what the hell does Boomer's first three games or lack of Super Bowls have to do with his ability to analyse? The correct answer, is...nadda, zilch, zippo.

Are you even picking up the irony here? Us randoms on a football message board know more about a guy with 18 seasons as a pro, four pro-bowls, 2 all pros, 1 league MVP, 247 wins and over 37k yards because he didn't win a Super Bowl? But I'm sure if a pundit is all a-goo-goo over Tebow, winning a Super Bowl or getting into the HOF is no longer a pre-requisite to being able to judge talent.

According to the stats posted above, Boomer also threw more TDs and less Ints, and that in a completely different era as far as playing defense goes. It's still completely meaningless as far as whether Boomer's analyse is accurate or not...just sayin'.

As for the article and Boomer's comments, his critique of Tebow's QB ability at this point is fair enough. Where I disagree is the sentiment in the article that Tebow is just wasting a roster spot. Even if he's unlikely to ever become a #1 QB he still brings value. The league has become so specialized that WildCat QBs like Brad Smith get good money and long term as UFAs. Tebow doesn't have to sit in the pocket and throw pretty spirals to help us win, he has shown he can create TDs out of limited touches.

If he can produce 7+ TDs combined through the air and with his legs, and sprinkle in some 3rd down conversions, I don't care if Tebow gets listed as punter and only sees the field 10 times a game. It would certainly be short sighted to dump him at this point because despite all the criticism--sorry, hate--he can help this team win even if he's not a good QB.

This is well said. Tebow produced in his three starts and his other limited playing time. I would gladly take these stats. He's a winner and so far a producer. As a full time franchise quarterback the jury is still out. If he becomes an effective situational player, great.

iyoungwoni1985
08-24-2011, 11:44 PM
Boomer couldnt win a SB.

But he’s not an NFL quarterback right now.

T.Tebow:

Boomer Esiason
517 yds, 5 TDs, 2 Ints

Yall jump my ass when I said orton had beter numbers than Elway 's 98 SB season .dont post stuff like this Tebow is no Boomer now this is crazy

ps. Boomer's Numbers are beter WOW bad post do u not c them tebow in three was a starter lost the job then lost 2nd place job to a man most known for being A.J. Hawk's brother and law

Northman
08-24-2011, 11:48 PM
waaaaaait a minuuuuuute....I thought the whole world was out to get Tebow?

I never said the whole world was out to get Tebow.

vandammage13
08-25-2011, 08:53 AM
Yall jump my ass when I said orton had beter numbers than Elway 's 98 SB season .dont post stuff like this Tebow is no Boomer now this is crazy

ps. Boomer's Numbers are beter WOW bad post do u not c them tebow in three was a starter lost the job then lost 2nd place job to a man most known for being A.J. Hawk's brother and law

??What??
:confused:

CrazyHorse
08-25-2011, 09:09 AM
Joe Montana, the greatest QB of all time on Dan Patrick today, discussing Tebow:

Blasphemy!

Tned
08-25-2011, 09:29 AM
Montana who beat up on Boomer said good things about Tebow....so Boomer who is a Bengal...:laugh:..nuff said...felt he needed to give his $.02.

That is why Boomer, Hoge, etc are on tv and Elway, Marino, and Montana are not. They don't need to boost their egos because they were failures in the NFL and could make something out of themselves after they reached the HOF.

Give me a HOF'r who has an analysis of Tebow and I will listen. Until then, all of the HOF'ers I have heard talk about TT says he can play.

carry on.
\

:coffee:

Why is Shannon on TV? He a failure, too? That's a pretty big generalization, even if I don't agree with Hoge or Boomer.