PDA

View Full Version : Is anybody else concerned about...

ogplife
08-23-2011, 10:24 PM
the middle linebacker position. We have a rookie with high expectations (but wasn't a particularly high draft pick) and I don't like Mays as a starter (just too slow). It is the most important position on a 4-3, but we don't seem to be set there.

BroncoStud
08-23-2011, 10:25 PM
Not really, I fully expect to see teams gash us for big yardage right up the middle. The shock factor has worn off from that over the past 6 years.

Tned
08-23-2011, 10:27 PM
the middle linebacker position. We have a rookie with high expectations (but wasn't a particularly high draft pick) and I don't like Mays as a starter (just too slow). It is the most important position on a 4-3, but we don't seem to be set there.

Yes, right now that might be the position I am the least comfortable with. I think it's the weak spot in our front seven (not as concerned about the DT's as many are).

SpringsBroncoFan
08-23-2011, 10:28 PM
It wasn't a great draft at MLB & Irving needs time to develop. It's also a given that we weren't going to fix the mess in one draft...

tubby
08-23-2011, 10:31 PM
The Broncos D has sucked since G.Warren landed and Al Wilson's neck. FML

Irving can play. Hopefully the learning curve picks up in the next month or so.

:defense:

PAINTERDAVE
08-23-2011, 10:37 PM
Not much depth.

Injuries will really hurt this defense...

I expect them to take some guys off the waiver wire on

O-line AND D-line..

like was stated...

One draft wont fix this team.

BeefStew25
08-23-2011, 10:39 PM
We need so much to find a way to ge to 3rd and 5.

Tned
08-23-2011, 10:44 PM
Not much depth.

Injuries will really hurt this defense...

I expect them to take some guys off the waiver wire on

O-line AND D-line..

like was stated...

One draft wont fix this team.

LB, DT, OL all have depth problems. Unlike many, I think that between getting three starters from the first three draft picks, and then some targeted FA signings (Mcgahee, Bunkley, the two tight ends), along with getting Doom back, that most of the 'holes' in the starting lineups have been filled.

However, there are a number of areas where the drop off will be substantial if the team has injuries.

Canmore
08-23-2011, 10:45 PM
Yes, right now that might be the position I am the least comfortable with. I think it's the weak spot in our front seven (not as concerned about the DT's as many are).

I see all three as that gaping hole in the middle of our defense. Really waiting to see Oakland and our run defense or lack thereof.

Tned
08-23-2011, 10:50 PM
I see all three as that gaping hole in the middle of our defense. Really waiting to see Oakland and our run defense or lack thereof.

Until we see them in live game action, we aren't going to know. However, if M. Thomas is recovered, I think a rotation of Thomas, Bunkley, Vickerson and McBean will be better than many fans think.

However, we aren't going to know until we see them in the regular season, and see them running Fox and companies scheme.

ogplife
08-23-2011, 10:52 PM
LB, DT, OL all have depth problems. Unlike many, I think that between getting three starters from the first three draft picks, and then some targeted FA signings (Mcgahee, Bunkley, the two tight ends), along with getting Doom back, that most of the 'holes' in the starting lineups have been filled.

However, there are a number of areas where the drop off will be substantial if the team has injuries.

Im not comfortable with the starters at ML, but I am comfortable LB depth. Haggan, Woodyard and either Mays/Wright is good depth to me.

CoachChaz
08-23-2011, 10:55 PM
Fox has always seemed to have an ability to get the most out of his MLB's. I dont think Irving is ready to take the spot, but his potential is there and Mays takes the worst angles I've ever seen...but I think we'll be fine.

Canmore
08-23-2011, 10:58 PM
Until we see them in live game action, we aren't going to know. However, if M. Thomas is recovered, I think a rotation of Thomas, Bunkley, Vickerson and McBean will be better than many fans think.

However, we aren't going to know until we see them in the regular season, and see them running Fox and companies scheme.

Thomas, Bunkley, Vickerson and McBean. They don't inspire a lot of confidence for me. I've got hope. "Hope" that is enough. Like I said, I'm waiting for Oakland.

As far as middle linbacker goes I feel about the same way. Wish Irving was coming along quicker. Until then I guess Mays will have to do.

CoachChaz
08-23-2011, 11:02 PM
Well, Kirk Morrison and Lofa Tatupu are still waiting on phone calls. If Fox and Allen are concerned...there are 2 options

BroncoJoe
08-23-2011, 11:07 PM
I think LB is one of our more stocked positions.

girler
08-23-2011, 11:11 PM
Thomas, Bunkley, Vickerson and McBean. They don't inspire a lot of confidence for me. I've got hope. "Hope" that is enough. Like I said, I'm waiting for Oakland.

As far as middle linbacker goes I feel about the same way. Wish Irving was coming along quicker. Until then I guess Mays will have to do.

Ya, what he said!

I'm following Canmore around this year and agreeing with everything he says, and picking everyone he picks. Then I might at least look smart. :ridinghorse:

Tned
08-23-2011, 11:23 PM

I will admit that at least in part, I am counting on the scheme bringing out the best in the players. Also, 'hoping' that Bunkley starts to put in the effort worthy of his talent, and that Marcus Thomas will flourish moved back to the 4-3. Granted, there is more hoping than knowing in those thoughts.

cuzz4169
08-23-2011, 11:25 PM
Mcbean is the worst dlineman on the team..I think we get our best 3 lbs on the field yoi go DJ at mlb Von at slb and woodyard at wlb. Mays is an in the box linebacker anything outside he's screwed. Maybe haggen steps up...I would like to see him with the ones. Irving is not ready yet.

Tned
08-23-2011, 11:31 PM
Mcbean is the worst dlineman on the team..I think we get our best 3 lbs on the field yoi go DJ at mlb Von at slb and woodyard at wlb. Mays is an in the box linebacker anything outside he's screwed. Maybe haggen steps up...I would like to see him with the ones. Irving is not ready yet.

I love DJ moving back to WLB. It's his natural position and where he needs to be to use his speed to disrupt plays.

Canmore
08-23-2011, 11:32 PM
I will admit that at least in part, I am counting on the scheme bringing out the best in the players. Also, 'hoping' that Bunkley starts to put in the effort worthy of his talent, and that Marcus Thomas will flourish moved back to the 4-3. Granted, there is more hoping than knowing in those thoughts.

I'm hoping (hope seems to be a popular word tonight) the scheme produces turnovers and enough second and third passing downs to turn loose our pass rush which looks much improved with the return of Dumervil and the addition of Miller. Our secondary should be the beneficiaries. If Fox and Allen's scheme works, we may be ok with the players we have. Bunkley and Thomas have talent. Will it finally blossom? To be determined.

Stargazer
08-23-2011, 11:54 PM
Am I concerned about the giant hole in the front 7? Yes, that's why the team isn't sniffing playoffs this year.

girler
08-23-2011, 11:58 PM
Am I concerned about the giant hole in the front 7? Yes, that's why the team isn't sniffing playoffs this year.

:uh: um... there are a couple other reasons too... :whistle:

Foochacho
08-24-2011, 12:15 AM
Don't worry I am sure we have Nate Webster on speed dial.

cuzz4169
08-24-2011, 12:19 AM

I love DJ moving back to WLB. It's his natural position and where he needs to be to use his speed to disrupt plays.

DJ is going to be avg no matter what linebacker position he plays. But I believe he's better at mlb than anyone else on roster. Woodyard can play just as effective as DJ at wlb. Woodyard will have a breakout year in fox's defense.

DenBronx
08-24-2011, 01:31 AM
Someone remind me again why we didnt pick MLB Casey Matthews again?

He went way after Irving and has already won the starting job in Philly.

This was one of the best sleepers in this years draft imo.

FAIL!

Dean
08-24-2011, 06:28 AM
The Broncos are a rebuilding team. There, I said it. We are better than last year but we have short comings on both the starting offense and defense. Our depth is very poor. IMO we will start well due to our schedule and then the bottom will fall out.

We are going to have to use smoke and mirrors to hide a few positions. An example is our LBs. Von Miller is weak against against the run (he doesn't shed blockers). DJ and both Mike LBs take poor angles. On the offense, center and RG are still a work in progress and no depth in sight.

When injuries occur, and they will, IMO we don't have the personnel to overcome adversity.

However, when I look at this year's team I see hope. I see hope for the future rather than the utter futility that was last two seasons.

Maybe waiver claims can even brighten that outlook.

TXBRONC
08-24-2011, 06:44 AM

I think the defensive tackle is a little better than I originally thought but I think it's still the biggest problem we have. IIRC in two preseason games the starters are giving up about 4.7 ypc.

Slick
08-24-2011, 07:18 AM
Hopefully Xanders computer picks someone better than Mays when the waiver wire starts lighting up. I'm sure he's got it all cued up like an auto draft on yahoo fantasy football.

Ziggy
08-24-2011, 09:26 AM
Mays has been horrible in the preseason, and Irving didn't look any better in the game against Buffalo. MLB is a huge position of concern, and thus far one of the main reason teams are gashing us in the running game.

I'm not as worried about the DT position as most here are. Bunkley has been playing like a first round pick, and Vick is good against the pass. Getting Thomas back will help immensely. The biggest thing the Broncos need to do is get Ayers off of the field in passing downs. Having him play DT in the nickel hasn't panned out at all.

drewloc
08-24-2011, 09:59 AM
Sporting news report saying Irving was moved back to 3rd team behind our 6th rd draft pick Mohamed.

Sporting News Article (http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-08-22/denver-broncos-team-report-nate-irving-kyle-orton-tim-tebow)

That's not a step in the right direction, I'm a bit disappointed. :tsk:

cuzz4169
08-24-2011, 11:52 AM

FAIL!

Mathews has been horrible for the Eagles so far...he's not half the talent his brother is.

Northman
08-24-2011, 12:35 PM
I think LB is one of our more stocked positions.

Unfortuantely, stocked with a lot of dead weight.

Northman
08-24-2011, 12:40 PM

FAIL!

Nah, i actually disagree with you. I think he got job out necessity and because of his last name. But watching twice now in preseason he isnt near the impact that his brother is. A bit premature to think just because he is starting that he is that much of a difference. It isnt like they have anyone else in that position worth putting there. Ill take Irving everyday til Tuesday over Casey. Now, Brooks Reid in Houston? Yea, i would of liked to have him.

Northman
08-24-2011, 12:41 PM
mathews has been horrible for the eagles so far...he's not half the talent his brother is.

qft

DenBronx
08-24-2011, 01:23 PM
Mathews has been horrible for the Eagles so far...he's not half the talent his brother is.

Not horrible for a rookie. Ive seen him play this year in preseason so I dont know who or what games you have been watching. If he is doing so horrible then how is he beating out all of the veterans?

Also, no one is comparing him to Clay. Two differant positions. Casey is solid in the middle and good against the run where Clay is a perfect OLB and is a great pass rusher. Alot like our own Von Miller. It's ridiculous to compare the two.

Again, FAIL that we didnt grab him in the late rounds. Now Irving cant even beat out a 6th rounder. 1st team or 3rd team player? Which one would you rather have?

cuzz4169
08-24-2011, 01:57 PM

Not horrible for a rookie. Ive seen him play this year in preseason so I dont know who or what games you have been watching. If he is doing so horrible then how is he beating out all of the veterans?

Also, no one is comparing him to Clay. Two differant positions. Casey is solid in the middle and good against the run where Clay is a perfect OLB and is a great pass rusher. Alot like our own Von Miller. It's ridiculous to compare the two.

Again, FAIL that we didnt grab him in the late rounds. Now Irving cant even beat out a 6th rounder. 1st team or 3rd team player? Which one would you rather have?

He's starting BC....can you name any of their other linebackers? They probably have the weakest lb core in the NFL. I don't know what you think good linebacking play is then if you have watched and think he's been good. BC I watched the Pittsburgh Philly game and he looked horrible. Lee Robinson has looked better and he probably wont make are team.

slim
08-24-2011, 02:06 PM
DT is the weak link here (shocking, I know).

We will be fine at LB.

DenBronx
08-24-2011, 02:21 PM
He's starting BC....can you name an of their other linebackers? They probably have the weakest lb core in the NFL. I don't know what you think good linebacking play is then if you have watched and think he's been good. BC I watched the Pittsburgh Philly game and he looked horrible. Lee Robinson has looked better and he probably wont make are team.

When was the last time Philly didnt understand a good defense?

I'm not saying he is a Ray Lewis but I'm saying he is better than alot of people give him credit for and really didnt come at a big price.

I saw him play alot at Oregon but from what little Ive seen in preseason he looks like he will be good in the NFL.

DenBronx
08-24-2011, 02:24 PM
DT is the weak link here (shocking, I know).

We will be fine at LB.

If were weak at DT and MLB then that could be a big problem. At least one will help compensate for the other. Having a stud MLB with weak DT's it helps make up for the lack of run stoppers. If we had a guy like Suh it would make Joe Mays look like a pro bowler. Id like to see us solidify one of those positions, preferably DT though.

slim
08-24-2011, 02:28 PM
If were weak at DT and MLB then that could be a big problem. At least one will help compensate for the other. Having a stud MLB with weak DT's it helps make up for the lack of run stoppers. If we had a guy like Suh it would make Joe Mays look like a pro bowler. Id like to see us solidify one of those positions, preferably DT though.

Yes, I am tired of having the ball run down our throats. I just don't see it changing this year. The FO put all their eggs in one basket (Ty Warren) and now we are ******.

turftoad
08-24-2011, 03:07 PM
Yes, I am tired of having the ball run down our throats. I just don't see it changing this year. The FO put all their eggs in one basket (Ty Warren) and now we are ******.

I don't think we can fix a McDaniels talent depleted team in one year. That guy killed us. :tsk:

slim
08-24-2011, 03:19 PM
I don't think we can fix a McDaniels talent depleted team in one year. That guy killed us. :tsk:

Well, bringing in one legit DT all offseason was probably a bad idea.

I mean, it's not rocket science. Most of the fans here could see it was a problem. Why couldn't the front office?

turftoad
08-24-2011, 03:23 PM

I mean, it's not rocket science. Most of the fans here could see it was a problem. Why couldn't the front office?

I agree with you slim. We should have brought in a couple more DT's.

slim
08-24-2011, 03:24 PM
I agree with you slim. We should have brought in a couple more DT's.

You are a wise man, turf. :welcome:

turftoad
08-24-2011, 03:25 PM
You are a wise man, turf. :welcome:

I know buddy. ;)

BigDaddyBronco
08-24-2011, 03:28 PM
I think they counted on being able to move Orton, but since they couldn't move that money off the books they couldn't go after Mebane or some of the other quality DT's.

slim
08-24-2011, 05:19 PM
I think they counted on being able to move Orton, but since they couldn't move that money off the books they couldn't go after Mebane or some of the other quality DT's.

Well, they could have gone after a few second tier DT's and put together a decent DT rotation.

McBean, Thomas and Vick? I think we could have done better than that.

BigDaddyBronco
08-24-2011, 05:20 PM
Well, they could have gone after a few second tier DT's and put together a decent DT rotation.

McBean, Thomas and Vick? I think we could have done better than that.

Well they sure liked TE's.

cuzz4169
08-24-2011, 05:25 PM
He's starting BC....can you name an of their other linebackers? They probably have the weakest lb core in the NFL. I don't know what you think good linebacking play is then if you have watched and think he's been good. BC I watched the Pittsburgh Philly game and he looked horrible. Lee Robinson has looked better and he probably wont make are team.

When was the last time Philly didnt understand a good defense?

I'm not saying he is a Ray Lewis but I'm saying he is better than alot of people give him credit for and really didnt come at a big price.

I saw him play alot at Oregon but from what little Ive seen in preseason he looks like he will be good in the NFL.

Mathews will be a backup lb special teams player at best...

Tned
08-24-2011, 08:06 PM

As I've mentioned before, while the fans have been screaming "draft a DT" since '06 or earlier, and three different front offices/HC's have not done so, maybe they know more than the fans. Now, I say "maybe," because the results have obviously sucked during that time frame, so the jury is still out on whether the professionals' or fans' theory is the correct one.

Canmore
08-24-2011, 08:14 PM
As I've mentioned before, while the fans have been screaming "draft a DT" since '06 or earlier, and three different front offices/HC's have not done so, maybe they know more than the fans. Now, I say "maybe," because the results have obviously sucked during that time frame, so the jury is still out on whether the professionals' or fans' theory is the correct one.

That is a huge understatement. Our run defense is the worst in the league. We have no where to go but up. I certainly hope we don't stay the same. With the holes we had to fill, I can understand not drafting a defensive tackle. In there estimation we had other holes and the right player wasn't available at our draft position. Still, I feel we could have done "a little bit more" in free agency. Warren getting hurt was just more salt in the wound.

Tned
08-24-2011, 08:18 PM
That is a huge understatement. Our run defense is the worst in the league. We have no where to go but up. I certainly hope we don't stay the same. With the holes we had to fill, I can understand not drafting a defensive tackle. In there estimation we had other holes and the right player wasn't available at our draft position. Still, I feel we could have done "a little bit more" in free agency. Warren getting hurt was just more salt in the wound.

I've been in the "get a DT" crowd. I really wanted Dareus, I was just pointing out that this refusal to get a big time DT has spanned three HC's, three front offices and 2ish GM's.

Canmore
08-24-2011, 08:23 PM
I've been in the "get a DT" crowd. I really wanted Dareus, I was just pointing out that this refusal to get a big time DT has spanned three HC's, three front offices and 2ish GM's.

All true. I'm happy with the Von Miller and Orlando Franklin picks. I just felt we could have done more in free agency. I guess we will take a long look at some of the released and waived players.

Tned
08-24-2011, 08:52 PM
All true. I'm happy with the Von Miller and Orlando Franklin picks. I just felt we could have done more in free agency. I guess we will take a long look at some of the released and waived players.

Yea, I wouldn't be surprised to see them grab another DT, possibly an LB, and depending on what running backs and OL's are released, could add depth there.

It's very possible they will just be opportunistic, and go with best available players that are released.

Canmore
08-24-2011, 09:12 PM
Yea, I wouldn't be surprised to see them grab another DT, possibly an LB, and depending on what running backs and OL's are released, could add depth there.

It's very possible they will just be opportunistic, and go with best available players that are released.

I agree with all of this. Our line depth is really questionable. I wouldn't be surprised if we pick up a couple of castoffs. I think the Sept. third roster is going to change some from the final fifty-three man team we field on Sept. eleventh. It will be interesting to see what EFX thinks of our depth compared to the rest of the leagues cuts.

Tned
08-25-2011, 08:30 AM
I agree with all of this. Our line depth is really questionable. I wouldn't be surprised if we pick up a couple of castoffs. I think the Sept. third roster is going to change some from the final fifty-three man team we field on Sept. eleventh. It will be interesting to see what EFX thinks of our depth compared to the rest of the leagues cuts.

Yep, it will be interesting.

Will we find that other team's 3rd or 4th player at a position be considered an upgrade over our 2nd or 3rd player at the same position.

BroncoJoe
08-25-2011, 08:34 AM
Sporting news report saying Irving was moved back to 3rd team behind our 6th rd draft pick Mohamed.

Sporting News Article (http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-08-22/denver-broncos-team-report-nate-irving-kyle-orton-tim-tebow)

That's not a step in the right direction, I'm a bit disappointed. :tsk:

Not too concerned.

By nature of his position, Irving had an uphill climb, having to get the checks and calls down pat for the defense. With no OTAs, a brief holdout, then an ankle injury, he's been behind the eight ball.

Slick
08-25-2011, 08:39 AM
Good point joe.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

BigDaddyBronco
08-25-2011, 08:46 AM
I really think it will take an owner who demands they draft a DT or a defenisve minded coach that believes everything starts at the DLine. I'll feel better about not drafting Dareus if Miller turns into a pro-bowl level pass rusher. If Dareus turns into the next Haloti Ngata, then we will have still made a mistake unless Von is elite (top 3 pass rusher in the league).

Tned
08-25-2011, 08:51 AM
I really think it will take an owner who demands they draft a DT or a defenisve minded coach that believes everything starts at the DLine. I'll feel better about not drafting Dareus if Miller turns into a pro-bowl level pass rusher. If Dareus turns into the next Haloti Ngata, then we will have still made a mistake unless Von is elite (top 3 pass rusher in the league).

I sure hope it doesn't come from the owner -- I don't want the next owner of the Broncos to be a Jerry Jones type. As to the HC, I agree.

And, who knows, if they decide to sign Orton or Quinn to a long term deal at QB, or feel Tebow is ready to take over in '12, maybe they then try and get an impact DT in the first round.

I understand the selection of Miller, because not only was he the best pass rusher in the draft, but he also should GREATLY help Doom. They can't double team, shift help to cover both speed rushers, so that means having one on each end, puts both of them in a better position to pressure the QB.

BroncoJoe
08-25-2011, 08:54 AM
I never had, nor do I still have a good feeling about Dareus. And yes - it's completely personal opinion.

Tned
08-25-2011, 08:56 AM
I never had, nor do I still have a good feeling about Dareus. And yes - it's completely personal opinion.

I didn't pay him much attention, other than the name people through around, until I watched the ESPN Sports Science piece, and then I said, "holy crap," the guy is a physical beast.

BroncoJoe
08-25-2011, 08:58 AM
I didn't pay him much attention, other than the name people through around, until I watched the ESPN Sports Science piece, and then I said, "holy crap," the guy is a physical beast.

I see him as another Haynesworth.

BigDaddyBronco
08-25-2011, 10:41 AM
I see him as another Haynesworth.
In what way?

BigDaddyBronco
08-25-2011, 10:46 AM
I sure hope it doesn't come from the owner -- I don't want the next owner of the Broncos to be a Jerry Jones type. As to the HC, I agree.

And, who knows, if they decide to sign Orton or Quinn to a long term deal at QB, or feel Tebow is ready to take over in '12, maybe they then try and get an impact DT in the first round.

I understand the selection of Miller, because not only was he the best pass rusher in the draft, but he also should GREATLY help Doom. They can't double team, shift help to cover both speed rushers, so that means having one on each end, puts both of them in a better position to pressure the QB.I don't want an owner to pick players, but as to want to hire a guy with a general philosophy on how to build a team. Strong lines, accurate QB, size at WR, etc.

I don't hate the pick of Miller per se, it's more the continuation of the Bronco philosophy of anyone at DT will do, and then we watch our DT's get pushed around and teams run the ball down our throat. I realize that Fox values pass rush over the big uglies in the middle, but his defenses were much better when he had some talent at DT as well. I' m hoping that the original plan was to get Mebane in FA, but not being able to trade Orton killed that plan.

Time will tell.

slim
08-25-2011, 11:31 AM

I don't think the jury is still out.

They haven't been able to stop the run in years.

Ziggy
08-25-2011, 02:03 PM

He is. He reminds me of BJ Raji. He can move around at 340 pounds like he was a 275 pound DE. I think Dareus has a long successful career ahead of him. I still like the Miller pick though.

Tned
08-25-2011, 06:32 PM
I don't think the jury is still out.

They haven't been able to stop the run in years.

I understand we've struggled against the run, but we're forum warriors, while three different sets of professionals have decided drafting a DT early wasn't a good move.

Slick
08-25-2011, 07:53 PM
Our linebackers are going to have to be really good this year if we have any chance at stopping the run.

I do think we'll have a few games where we do, and miller and doom will get a chance to shine. However like the colts with freeney and mathis, we'll get gashed up the middle against the physical o lines of the league.

Fox and allen give me a little more confidence that the previous two regimes did. Not counting nolan.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

horsepig
08-25-2011, 10:31 PM
The Broncos are a rebuilding team. There, I said it. We are better than last year but we have short comings on both the starting offense and defense. Our depth is very poor. IMO we will start well due to our schedule and then the bottom will fall out.

We are going to have to use smoke and mirrors to hide a few positions. An example is our LBs. Von Miller is weak against against the run (he doesn't shed blockers). DJ and both Mike LBs take poor angles. On the offense, center and RG are still a work in progress and no depth in sight.

When injuries occur, and they will, IMO we don't have the personnel to overcome adversity.

However, when I look at this year's team I see hope. I see hope for the future rather than the utter futility that was last two seasons.

Maybe waiver claims can even brighten that outlook.
I agree Dean, except I would say LG rather than RG.