PDA

View Full Version : Cutler blasted by Chicago Sun-Times(By an idiot)

Cutler6MVP
11-28-2008, 10:06 AM
• • If Jay Cutler were half as good as everyone says, he'd be Joe Namath by now. Apparently, Rule No. 1 of NFL broadcasting is to treat the Broncos quarterback as a visiting dignitary. Has he ever won anything? Cutler's 15-17 as a starting quarterback. Here's a partial list of QBs I'd rather have: Tom Brady (even in a cast), Peyton Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, Tony Romo, Brett Favre, Kurt Warner, Donovan McNabb (except in overtime), Drew Brees, Eli Manning and Matt Ryan. Heck, at the moment, I'd even rather have Tyler Thigpen.

LordTrychon
11-28-2008, 10:13 AM
lmao.

The idiot part was right.

That's a good list of good QBs for the most part... and Bronco fans would mostly take Cutler, obviously...

But has he ever won anything?

I believe he has now 6 comeback victories... 6/15 wins being comebacks is pretty impressive.

Everyone talks about the games we could've lost when it comes to our record... but seldom talks about the closer losses along with it. We lost two in OT without touching the ball last year.

The wins will come.

dogfish
11-28-2008, 10:15 AM
let me guess. . . . jay mariotti?

:lol:

Slick
11-28-2008, 10:16 AM
He's 15-17 with no feature back and one of the worst defenses in the league during his tenure. Does he still make boneheaded mistakes sometimes? Sure, but he's emerging as a leader, and he's learning.

Tyler Thigpen...LMFAO.

Cutler6MVP
11-28-2008, 10:16 AM
lmao.

That's a good list of good QBs for the most part... and Bronco fans would mostly take Cutler, obviously...

I believe he has now 6 comeback victories... 6/15 wins being comebacks is pretty impressive.

Everyone talks about the games we could've lost when it comes to our record... but seldom talks about the closer losses along with it. We lost two in OT without touching the ball last year.

The wins will come.

He has been a career loser though, but I dont blame him for this, he cant do everything himself. If he had an average, just AVERAGE defense this year his record would be something like 8-3.

Cutler6MVP
11-28-2008, 10:20 AM
let me guess. . . . jay mariotti?

:lol:

No he quit months ago, its Couch.

MasterShake
11-28-2008, 10:25 AM
Heres the full article:

Chris Henry and other recurring disturbances in the NFL
By Norman Chad

OTHER THAN solitary walks along the beach at sunset contemplating the majesty and mystery that is the BCS, Couch Slouch's favorite form of relaxation remains an overstuffed NFL Sunday on the Barcalounger. Still, my helmet-to-helmet bliss is sometimes diminished by these recurring disturbances:

If Jay Cutler were half as good as everyone says, he'd be Joe Namath by now. Apparently, Rule No. 1 of NFL broadcasting is to treat the Broncos quarterback as a visiting dignitary. Has he ever won anything? Cutler's 15-17 as a starting quarterback. Here's a partial list of QBs I'd rather have: Tom Brady (even in a cast), Peyton Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, Tony Romo, Brett Favre, Kurt Warner, Donovan McNabb (except in overtime), Drew Brees, Eli Manning and Matt Ryan. Heck, at the moment I'd even rather have Tyler Thigpen.

I'm tired of this gibberish that West Coast teams can't win when they travel East. You know, the West Coast teams we're talking about - the Raiders, the Seahawks, et al - couldn't win if they traveled to Wal-Mart to pick up a waffle iron. And where was this stat when West Coast franchises like the Raiders and the 49ers were winning Super Bowls? Those teams could travel west to east in a covered wagon and still win. P.S. Here's my final word on travel, west to east or east to west: Avoid Delta.

Every time it's third-and-8, I think Chris Henry might be doing five-to-10. The Bengals wide receiver is having an unmemorable season - 10 catches, no touchdowns, zero convictions. But I'll never forget his January 2006 arrest in Orlando, Fla., on gun charges while reportedly wearing his No. 15 Bengals jersey. This raised two eternal questions. One, how many NFL players walk around in their own jersey? Two, how many NFL players commit a felony walking around in their own jersey?

Can I convince NFL coaches to forsake first-quarter challenges unless it's absolutely clear a mistake was made? And when I say "absolutely clear," I mean a Martian has to land at the 40-yard line wearing a T-shirt that says, "I'm A Martian And I'm The 12th Man On The Field For The Other Team" and the officials miss it. Otherwise, coaches should keep that red flag in their pocket - or, in Bill Belichick's case, in his sock - because it's not worth our trouble or our time to see 12 replays from four angles on whether Cutler's knee hit the ground before he fumbled.

Besides, instant replay is conclusive proof that technology does not always take us a step forward. For the last time, let me say this: There's only one reason to use replay as an officiating tool - to get the call right (and often it doesn't do that, anyway). There are 17 reasons NOT to use replay as an officiating tool, which I gladly will detail to anybody who brings a Lou Malnati pizza, a six-pack of Pabst Blue Ribbon and some Ben & Jerry's New York Super Fudge Chunk to my viewing bunker on any given Sunday.

As a longtime gambler, I must tell you to never gamble on professional sports, particularly NFL games with replay reviews. To those of you who lost a week ago betting on the Steelers-Chargers game, what further evidence do you need to give up gambling? To those of you who cashed in on the Steelers game, I implore you to take your ill-gotten winnings and relocate to a holistic health retreat with no Internet.

Would it kill Tom Coughlin to smile more often? OK, I was wrong about the guy - I thought he was a so-so leader who could never win it all. I apologize, Coach. But here's a fella who wins most of the time and has won it all, so ... ENJOY YOURSELF. Geez. What makes him happy? At any given time on the sideline, Coughlin appears to be passing a kidney stone while listening to an Al-Gore-on-global-warming speech on his headset.

http://wvgazette.com/Sports/200811241269?page=1&build=cache

Dreadnought
11-28-2008, 11:23 AM
Proving again that professional sportswriters are as stupid as cattle and lazy in the bargain. Idiot.

Nomad
11-28-2008, 11:36 AM
I'd rather have those QBs mentioned as well with the exception of Thigpen and Ryan. I say this because they are proven and experienced. Philly sat McNabb and look what happened last night. It woke up McNabb and he played like the McNabb of old. The excuse of new players and a new QB and new scheme is getting old because all the teams go through this nowadays because 4 yrs is plenty of experience in the NFL. Cutler has to prove the critics wrong and so for he's not doing a very good job.

LordTrychon
11-28-2008, 11:40 AM
I'd rather have those QBs mentioned as well with the exception of Thigpen and Ryan. I say this because they are proven and experienced. Philly sat McNabb and look what happened last night. It woke up McNabb and he played like the McNabb of old. The excuse of new players and a new QB and new scheme is getting old because all the teams go through this nowadays because 4 yrs is plenty of experience in the NFL. Cutler has to prove the critics wrong and so for he's not doing a very good job.

Cutler hasn't finished his third season yet... let alone having 4 years of experience.

Taking a player with a high roof... or potential... is a bigger risk than taking a proven player... but the rewards could be higher as well.

Nomad
11-28-2008, 11:46 AM
Cutler hasn't finished his third season yet... let alone having 4 years of experience.

Taking a player with a high roof... or potential... is a bigger risk than taking a proven player... but the rewards could be higher as well.

That excuse will run out next year! He has shown no signs of trying to be a leader or motivate this team. And a player doesn't need 3 or 4 yrs to realize this. If Cutler wasn't pouting around and getting into his teammates faces and standing on his soapbox to his team and leading by example then I would say it's not him. I root for him every Sunday but soon the excuses will run out. I don't expect alot out of Cutler but I do expect him to lead and so far he's not doing a good job.

Northman
11-28-2008, 12:00 PM
lmao.

The wins will come.

First off, this guy cant be serious. Tyler Thigpen? What exactly has he won? Never the less, all those other Qb's have a RB, a much better defense, and far less injuries than what we have had to deal with so im ok with Jay Cutler as my Qb, especially considering with all that we have dealt with we still have the 3rd RATED OFFENSE IN THE LEAGUE.

Northman
11-28-2008, 12:06 PM
That excuse will run out next year! He has shown no signs of trying to be a leader or motivate this team. And a player doesn't need 3 or 4 yrs to realize this. If Cutler wasn't pouting around and getting into his teammates faces and standing on his soapbox to his team and leading by example then I would say it's not him. I root for him every Sunday but soon the excuses will run out. I don't expect alot out of Cutler but I do expect him to lead and so far he's not doing a good job.

Dude, i generally like your takes and i know your frustrated but in no way does a solid fan of NFL football write off Jay Cutler yet. Sure, he has been shaky in some games but considering all the problems in other areas this team has there is no way you should be bringing the hammer down on the guy like this. Give me even a half decent defense (middle of the league) and a tailback who is conributing and staying healthy all year and then if he is still making stupid mistakes then we can have this discussion. Sure, the concern is there but considering what he HAS done this year with what little help im not going to throw this kid under the bus yet.

topscribe
11-28-2008, 12:24 PM
There is one thing those QBs listed had in common: a supporting cast. The
question of W-L, without taking other factors into consideration, is for tennis,
golf, bowling, and pool. Some people understand that football is a team game.
Others, with less intelligence, do not.

Yes, Cutler does have some great offensive weapons at his disposal . . . young
weapons. And he has yet to realize a dependable running game.

What Cutler has done so far is very impressive to those pundits who understand.
He has had 33 regular season starts and 6 comeback victories. That's one in
every six starts. How many of the listed QBs have done that? (What was Elway's
ratio, BTW? About 1 in 6. Do the math.)

Sure, as Broncos fans we would take Cutler. But many involved in the game of
football who do laud him are not Broncos fans.

Then there are those, such at the "author" in question, apparently feel the need
to bash Cutler because he is not a Broncos fan . . .

-----

turftoad
11-28-2008, 12:25 PM
Chicago only wish's they had Cutler. I'm sure he's better than Orton or Grossman.

topscribe
11-28-2008, 12:32 PM

Actually, Cutler has effectively just concluded his second season in number of
games played. There is only so much he could have learned on the sidelines
before he was thrown in there. You don't learn to be a bartender by sitting on
the other side of the bar.

We should have expected Cutler's ups and downs going in. Who else has had
ups and downs? Well, let's see . . . Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Ben
Roethlisberger, Tony Romo, Brett Favre, Kurt Warner, Donovan McNabb, Drew
Brees, Eli Manning, and Matt Ryan.

And Tyler Thigpen.

-----

tripleoption
11-28-2008, 12:39 PM
He has been a career loser though, but I dont blame him for this, he cant do everything himself. If he had an average, just AVERAGE defense this year his record would be something like 8-3.

I definitely wouldn't call him a career loser. He won a state title with Heritage Hills HS in 2001. Granted, he didn't win a lot in college but playing at Vandy you won't win a lot. He made them more competitive though. He'll be fine in the long run. If the Broncos had a solid defense he wouldn't be 15-17.

Northman
11-28-2008, 12:43 PM

And Tyler Thigpen.

-----

And some of the irony is aside from guys like Matt Ryan and Tyler Thigpen, Tony Romo, Tom Brady, Brett Favre were all guys who sat on the bench for at least a year before being injected into the starting lineup. Only guys like the Mannings, Big Ben, Drew, and McNabb have been starting from day 1. But i think its pretty obvious those are special players to begin with. So, i still like Denver's chances of having another HOF Qb in Cutler. Just need more time to get the rest of the pieces together.

Cutler6MVP
11-28-2008, 12:50 PM
And some of the irony is aside from guys like Matt Ryan and Tyler Thigpen, Tony Romo, Tom Brady, Brett Favre were all guys who sat on the bench for at least a year before being injected into the starting lineup. Only guys like the Mannings, Big Ben, Drew, and McNabb have been starting from day 1. But i think its pretty obvious those are special players to begin with. So, i still like Denver's chances of having another HOF Qb in Cutler. Just need more time to get the rest of the pieces together.

Big Ben is horrible by the way., at least now he is.

Northman
11-28-2008, 01:04 PM
Big Ben is horrible by the way., at least now he is.

Well, he certainly hasnt been passing a pretty ball as of late. Same with Peyton this year. But with Ben i think the lack of a great Oline is starting to wear down on him. That guy gets beat up every week but i give him credit. He is a tough player and has fought through it. I do think that the talent around him been more the cause for his success than him but as long as he can be a good manager for that team and continue to have great players around him he will be successful in this league.

broncophan
11-28-2008, 01:30 PM
I definitely wouldn't call him a career loser. He won a state title with Heritage Hills HS in 2001. Granted, he didn't win a lot in college but playing at Vandy you won't win a lot. He made them more competitive though. He'll be fine in the long run. If the Broncos had a solid defense he wouldn't be 15-17.

High School???????????......please....

I would think about every NFL player.....played on a winning high school team...:confused:

He became a "big boy" when he left high school.....and the writer is right.....his college and nfl days....he has not proven that he can win....whether it's Vandy or not......good for him though.....he made them more competitve......so maybe we can call him a "competitive loser"

The kid hasn't been a winner in .......what....7 years now........give him another 3 or 4 years.....and lets hope he learns how to be a winner.....as he learns how to be an nfl qb.......not to mention how to handle the things that go along with being an nfl qb

tubby
11-28-2008, 01:44 PM
Good find.

Nice read.

Nomad
11-28-2008, 02:33 PM
Dude, i generally like your takes and i know your frustrated but in no way does a solid fan of NFL football write off Jay Cutler yet. Sure, he has been shaky in some games but considering all the problems in other areas this team has there is no way you should be bringing the hammer down on the guy like this. Give me even a half decent defense (middle of the league) and a tailback who is conributing and staying healthy all year and then if he is still making stupid mistakes then we can have this discussion. Sure, the concern is there but considering what he HAS done this year with what little help im not going to throw this kid under the bus yet.

Where did I say I would write him off? To sum up what I'm trying to say is Cutler needs to show leadership/motivation instead of hanging his head and pouting and blaming others. I don't care what the rest of the team is doing this is about Jay Cutler and no he is not perfect but again I expect him to be a leader on the field through good times and adversity. And yes I'm tired of the excuses for the young man! There is a thread about he needs to grow up and I agree instead of pampering him. Just like my sons, I'm their biggest fan but can be their biggest critic when they don't try!

Slick
11-28-2008, 02:35 PM

I don't care for his pouting and sulking either Nomad, but he's getting better at it.

Did you see him go get in Prater's ass after he missed that field goal right before the half last week? Last year's Cutler wouldn't have done that. I see him transforming in to that leader his team needs.

If we can keep Royal and Marshall, he has two excellent WR's. If we can have one healthy pass catching TE, and get him a reliable RB, he will be fine. Give him an average defense and we'll be fighting for division titles and playoff berths until he retires IMO.

He will continue to make mistakes, but I don't want to take away his aggressiveness. My only complaint is lately, he doesn't use the middle of the field at all. I'd like to see that change. That might be more play-calling than his reads. I'm not sure.

Shazam!
11-28-2008, 02:47 PM
Pfffft. They were destroying Eli Manning here in NY for years, even last season leading up to the end of the season. Friends and relatives who were NYG fans and the NY media did nothing but piss and moan about him constantly.

Now he's a QB God, every bit as good as his brother, the best Giants QB since Phil Simms, the best NY QB since Joe Namath, and is better than Joe Montana...

They smothered Elway for years. He was never any good until 1997 apparently.

Jay Cutler will suddenly be 'good' in 20__.

MasterShake
11-28-2008, 02:50 PM

And Tyler Thigpen.

-----

Good point. People forget that the Giants were 10-6 last year under Eli Manning who had great games (the Superbowl and Playoffs) and HORRIBLE games (like his 4 interceptions against Minnesota). Now this year, he is playing with something he never had before- a confident team. Does wonders, doesn't it? When Denver turns the ball over early, their confidence is generally shot the rest of the game. If we get on a roll starting next week, watch out.

Nomad
11-28-2008, 02:50 PM
I don't care for his pouting and sulking either Nomad, but he's getting better at it.

He will continue to make mistakes, but I don't want to take away his aggressiveness. My only complaint is lately, he doesn't use the middle of the field at all. I'd like to see that change. That might be more play-calling than his reads. I'm not sure.

He needs to stand tall when getting beat and yes I'm ripping him a new one because of his attitude last Sunday! Can't say I have never been there then again I was not the QB either only an average CB/slot!

No one is claiming him to be perfect and yes his selection good be better, but I agree maybe he can't think beyond the playcall given!

silkamilkamonico
11-28-2008, 03:45 PM
I love Cutler. I wouldn't want anyone else as a developing QB, and I think he's going to be special.

I also agree with what he said about Matt Ryan. I thought Cutler burst onto the scene and was the best young QB in the game, but Matt Ryan is already better as a rookie. Both those guys are going to be studs for years to come.

topscribe
11-28-2008, 04:06 PM
I love Cutler. I wouldn't want anyone else as a developing QB, and I think he's going to be special.

I also agree with what he said about Matt Ryan. I thought Cutler burst onto the scene and was the best young QB in the game, but Matt Ryan is already better as a rookie. Both those guys are going to be studs for years to come.

That doesn't mean a whole lot. Marino was better than Elway when they were
rookies, too. That has a lot to do with supporting cast. With Atlanta's running
game and defense, Ryan doesn't have to worry as much to make it all happen
with each offensive possession.

I'm sure Ryan will be very good in his time, but Cutler should only have
Ryan's running game and defense.

-----

Northman
11-28-2008, 04:19 PM
Where did I say I would write him off? To sum up what I'm trying to say is Cutler needs to show leadership/motivation instead of hanging his head and pouting and blaming others. I don't care what the rest of the team is doing this is about Jay Cutler and no he is not perfect but again I expect him to be a leader on the field through good times and adversity. And yes I'm tired of the excuses for the young man! There is a thread about he needs to grow up and I agree instead of pampering him. Just like my sons, I'm their biggest fan but can be their biggest critic when they don't try!

I dont think he needs to be pampered. And ive stated my dislike for his moaning after every incomplete pass as well. But i also take into effect everything else that is going on AROUND him and its just as dysfunctional as he is at times. As far as your sons, i have no idea how old they are but are you going to give them bikes without wheels? :lol:

silkamilkamonico
11-28-2008, 04:20 PM
That doesn't mean a whole lot. Marino was better than Elway when they were
rookies, too. That has a lot to do with supporting cast. With Atlanta's running
game and defense, Ryan doesn't have to worry as much to make it all happen
with each offensive possession.

I'm sure Ryan will be very good in his time, but Cutler should only have
Ryan's running game and defense.

-----

I'm talking moreso right now.

I believe Ryan is playing better as a rookie than Jay in his 3rd season. He's certainly more consistent, which makes it a lot easier to develop a gameplan for the offense because you know what you're getting.

I'm sure lot of it has to do with Ryan having more of a defense/running game, but he hasn't done anything to take his team out of a game like Cutler has on more than one occasion. With that being said, I'm certainly not going to argue with week to week results.

Northman
11-28-2008, 04:25 PM

I believe Ryan is playing better as a rookie than Jay in his 3rd season. He's certainly more consistent, which makes it a lot easier to develop a gameplan for the offense because you know what you're getting.

I'm sure lot of it has to do with Ryan having more of a defense/running game, but he hasn't done anything to take his team out of a game like Cutler has on more than one occasion. With that being said, I'm certainly not going to argue with week to week results.

Ryan is playing better no doubt. But this time last year so was Derek Anderson. Will be interesting to see how Ryan does the next couple of years after DC's get more game film on him. My guess is Ryan will struggle at some point but he is lucky to have Turner in his backfield.

Requiem / The Dagda
11-28-2008, 04:27 PM
Silk, I think you're missing some of Top's points. Maybe not, but I think if Jay had the defense and running game Ryan has -- that we'd see a little more consistency from him on the offensive side of the ball. Right now he's having to throw the ball probably more than he'd like to, and the defense is doing such a poor job stopping opponents -- that we're always having to air out the ball which definitely impacts his ability to maintain consistent and always make quality plays.

I have full confidence in Jay's arm -- but he can't be throwing 30 times before the first half is over, and shouldn't be throwing 40 times a game. (It's almost his average.) He's on pace to throw near 600 times this season. That's ridiculous. We can't have him doing that all the time. *shrugs*

topscribe
11-28-2008, 04:49 PM

I haven't seen where Cutler has taken his team out of a game. He's made
mistakes, yes, but a GOOD team can just cinch up their loins and come back
from it.

And, again, Ryan is playing in far better circumstances than Cutler. Ryan
has to manage games, where Cutler has to win them. There is a difference.
That takes me back to the days of Phil Simms and the job he was doing with
the Giants. He was a precision QB, a superb manager. But he could never
put a team on his back and WILL them to a win like Elway was doing during
that time.

Could Ryan do that? I don't know . . . he hasn't had to, much, so far. Cutler
has. Time and again. Cutler has WILLED his team to a come-from-behind
victory, six times. When Ryan shows he can do that, then I'll compare.

-----

tubby
11-28-2008, 07:27 PM
Yep

Matt Ryan > Jake Cutler

elsid13
11-28-2008, 07:29 PM
Proving again that professional sportswriters are as stupid as cattle and lazy in the bargain. Idiot.

I believe that you are underrating the intelligence of average American Cow.

frauschieze
11-28-2008, 07:30 PM
Yep

Matt Ryan > Jake Cutler

Who's Jake Cutler? :D

tubby
11-28-2008, 07:37 PM
Who's Jake Cutler? :D

Oops. I guess they are pretty much the same. Except Jake at least won.

Buff
11-28-2008, 07:38 PM

Get lost troll.

NightTrainLayne
11-28-2008, 07:39 PM

I can't wait until Cutler makes you eat those words. . .just like "Big Hoss" did. ..:D

Nomad
11-28-2008, 07:42 PM
I dont think he needs to be pampered. And ive stated my dislike for his moaning after every incomplete pass as well. But i also take into effect everything else that is going on AROUND him and its just as dysfunctional as he is at times. As far as your sons, i have no idea how old they are but are you going to give them bikes without wheels? :lol:

They know how to fix their own bikes!;)

elsid13
11-28-2008, 07:50 PM
Yep

Matt Ryan > Jake Cutler

I believe after we tar and feather Dream, we might need to stop by your place. :D

Northman
11-28-2008, 08:59 PM
They know how to fix their own bikes!;)

Great, can they coach? :lol:

Hawgdriver
11-28-2008, 09:42 PM

With Pitt's D it seems plain to me he would have at least as much success, if not more. Perhaps much more.

Poet
11-28-2008, 10:59 PM
He put Warner on that list? Why does everyone forget that it took Warner like what, 4 years to become a good QB again?

Thigpen? If you are going to ask what Cutler has won, and use that stupid measuring stick then doesn't that apply to Thigpen?

Matt Ryan........see above.

Does Cutler have his issues? Yeah, sometimes he makes some really boneheaded mistakes. Meh, so did/does Favre, Elway, Fouts, Manning, Palmer, McNabb, Roethlisberger. Hell, the last guy on that list has played worse than Cutler. Guess that means Big Ben must suck going by his logic.

Folks, most sportswriters are idiots. How they got their job is beyond me.

Superchop 7
11-28-2008, 11:35 PM
Honest evaluation.

Seems to be cold or hot for an entire game.

No pump fakes.

No drawing of the other team offsides.

Has a good supporting cast.

Is he good, yes.

Does he need to improve, yes.

Poet
11-28-2008, 11:45 PM
Honest evaluation.

Seems to be cold or hot for an entire game.

No pump fakes.

No drawing of the other team offsides.

Has a good supporting cast.

Is he good, yes.

Does he need to improve, yes.

How many times do you see teams get drawn offside? Usually that is a mistake that they make on their own, not a mistake that is forced upon them by qb gamesmanship in my opinion.

As far as a supporting cast goes, he has a good one and a bad one. I am a Bengals fan, I have watched my team sport a top three wideout combo. It doesn't necessarily win games by itself. Brandon Marshall is ridiculous, Royal appears to be coming along. But overall, in my opinion, his overall targets to throw to are slightly above average. No true TE threat, Stokely is nothing more that average, I hate to say it because I loved him as a Colt.

His running game is bleh. It gets hot, it gets cold. As a guy who roots for the Broncs as his second team, I really wish you guys would draft a real RB.

The pump fake comment is legit. What I can say is that you can only throw a pump fake intelligently if the play develops. Most of the big plays that I have seen from this team (I admit I have not watched every Bronco game, so this could very well be incorrect) seem to just snap off. Player X is open and the ball is flung to him. It doesn't appear to be an offense that runs long developing plays. It also seems that some of your longer plays come off of Jay running around.

Shazam!
11-28-2008, 11:48 PM

This is a ridiculous notion. This team was far better personnel-wise in Jake's years especially on defense. The defense is a joke on all levels 2 years running, a slow decline in the backfield, ST was a doozy in '07 and the they are ravaged by injuries for the last two years.

If Jake was still here, there would be virtually no difference. You never know, the close games Denver won, Jake could've thrown away.

Not saying Jay can't play better though. He has to.

BroncoTech
11-29-2008, 12:44 AM
It could be worse, here's what the locals are writing about SF's Alex Smith.

Steward: 49ers QB earns Turkey of Year honors
By Carl Steward
Bay Area News Group
Updated: 11/28/2008 08:31:33 AM PST

CAN A guy be Turkey of the Year with a busted wing?

When that turkey is named Alex Smith, absolutely. Too many people thought Smith had a bum hinge long before it actually became physically impaired, and almost from the outset, everybody knew this bird from Utah was no Montana.

Yeah, right, all those offensive coordinators. Yeah, sure, the injuries. Yeah, OK, the horrible cast around him much of his time with the Niners. Yeah, no doubt, the face-man coach who never fully understood or backed his would-be franchise player.

Sometimes ill fate still lands you on the plate. Fair or not, Smith is our 23rd annual Turkey of the Year if for no other reason than last year's winner, prison-confined Michael Vick, may have a better NFL future at this point. In football, anyway.

The San Francisco 49ers already have paid Smith more than $20 million for 21 touchdowns over four seasons: 19 passing, two running. Along with that, 31 interceptions, four fumbles, a career passer rating of 63.5 and a mere handful of wins. By comparison, certified No. 1 busts Tim Couch and David Carr look like Pro Bowlers.

What currently distinguishes Smith among other NFL No. 1 busts — and there have been a raft of top turkeys down through the years — is that he could wind up being the worst top draft pick in more than 40 years if things don't get any better from here. You have to go
Advertisement
Quantcast
back to 1963 and Oregon State Heisman Trophy winner Terry Baker to find a top pick with skimpier pro results.

He's probably history with the Niners unless he's willing to sign for the minimum next year, and realistically, why would he want to do that? And will a shoulder that couldn't deliver the long ball or the deep out when healthy ever be NFL-caliber? Bottom line, will he ever get a better chance for success than he had in San Francisco?

One would hope so. Smith's only 24. He's a nice young man, highly intelligent with admirable competitive drive. In retrospect, Alex was at the top of a draft that was full of more dubious flops — Cedric Benson, Pacman Jones, Mike Williams and Troy Williamson, just to name a few. Hey, the Raiders took Fabian Washington at No. 19. The Broncos took Maurice Clarett in the third round. At least Smith escapes with his character intact, even if he couldn't escape our Turkey of the Year tag.

Is that some consolation? Probably not, even if someone saw fit to make him a No. 1 pick again.

This year's dishonorable side dishes ...

Ocho "Stinko" Cinco: The mouth and the antics of T.O. without the production. So irrelevant we've almost forgotten his former handle.

Isiah Thomas: Just typing his name makes you want to go take a shower. And that whole post-firing hospital escapade was just plain creepy.

Lane Kiffin: He had potential as Raiders head coach, but at least some of the character and maturity issues Al Davis offered in his public assassination had validity. He was no Jon Gruden, that's for sure.

Al Davis: Sorry, Al. You're not off the hook. The whole Kiffin charade could have been avoided by canning the kid after last season. But you couldn't stomach the financial hit, and it wound up costing you even more.

DeAngelo Hall: Now that's a financial hit. You knew it was doomed the moment Raiders officials started gloating that he represented their lost second-round draft pick.

Jose Canseco: Last seen smuggling fertility drugs across the Mexican border. Wow, can't wait for the third book.

Mike Nolan: At least he has some nice duds for prospective job interviews.

Scott Boras: I'm with colleague Rick Hurd. Ban this soulless blight on the sports-agent profession. Manny Ramirez to the Dodgers would have been a nice tale if we didn't know the sleazy backstory of utter greed behind it.

BCS (Befallen Catatonic Superpowers): 1. Washington. 2. Michigan. 3. Notre Dame. 4. Nebraska.

The real BCS: Even Obama doesn't buy the drama.

Brett Favre soap opera: Yes, he's having a nice year for the Jets, but it was sheer hell getting to it. ESPN treating it like a Papal transfer didn't help.

Mark Cuban: From Cubs purchase to prison pinstripes? Needless to say, his stock fell mightily even selling it off.

Baron Davis: Marginalized himself and the Warriors with one stroke: signing on the dotted line with the Clippers.

Monta Ellis: Hey, if you're going to be that dumb, at least do it on a Harley.

Thunder: Both the new Oklahoma City NBA team and the canned Warriors mascot.

Kimbo Slice: Media creation turned UFC cremation.

O.J Simpson: Took a while, but The Juice finally was inducted by the most appropriate hall: The Hall of Justice.

slim
11-29-2008, 12:48 AM
It could be worse, here's what the locals are writing about SF's Alex Smith.

Are you mental?

fcspikeit
11-29-2008, 12:57 AM
How many times do you see teams get drawn offside? Usually that is a mistake that they make on their own, not a mistake that is forced upon them by qb gamesmanship in my opinion.

As far as a supporting cast goes, he has a good one and a bad one. I am a Bengals fan, I have watched my team sport a top three wideout combo. It doesn't necessarily win games by itself. Brandon Marshall is ridiculous, Royal appears to be coming along. But overall, in my opinion, his overall targets to throw to are slightly above average. No true TE threat, Stokely is nothing more that average, I hate to say it because I loved him as a Colt.

His running game is bleh. It gets hot, it gets cold. As a guy who roots for the Broncs as his second team, I really wish you guys would draft a real RB.

The pump fake comment is legit. What I can say is that you can only throw a pump fake intelligently if the play develops. Most of the big plays that I have seen from this team (I admit I have not watched every Bronco game, so this could very well be incorrect) seem to just snap off. Player X is open and the ball is flung to him. It doesn't appear to be an offense that runs long developing plays. It also seems that some of your longer plays come off of Jay running around.

WOW!

Great post coming from someone who doesn't even root for the Broncos full time :salute:

I did want to point out that we Broncos fans got spoiled by Elway, He was the master at calling defenders off sides. Your right though, no one does that today.

Also Cutler threw a shoulder fake that got the corner to bight when he threw the 93 yard TD to Royal against Cleveland. He also threw a shoulder fake against the bolt's, got the corner to bite then threw it over top to Marshall for the TD. So he does do it, maybe not enough though..

BroncoTech
11-29-2008, 12:59 AM
Real sports writers tell it like it is. I'm just saying.

BroncoTech
11-29-2008, 01:48 AM
fox sports:

"Curse you, Al Davis!" That's gotta be in the head of Mike Shanahan after the Raiders embarrassed the Broncos at home. How can any Denver fan truly think this team is ready to make a playoff run to the Super Bowl? COOL STAT: The Broncos have allowed 150+ rushing yards in over half of their games this season (6 of 11).

Broncos have to earn my respect every week just like the last 34 years, to let them off the hook breeds a mediocre team. They don't disrespect me I won't disrespect them. Back in the 60's a Bronco fan would rent a pink tutu and pirroette around for 3 or 4 quarters every game just like their team. There was none of this letting the team off the hook. We piled on when they played like last week.

Fans these days wont even let them have it when they deserve it much less kick them when their down. Back in the 60's we used to kick em in the balls and if they started crying tell em to rub some dirt on it, loser!

You guys should be bitching about your quarterback that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn last week and hasn't hit a receiver in stride since week one. We're one zebra named Ed away from being tied with SD.

Don't even come in here if you don't have a cup on.

Shazam!
11-29-2008, 01:52 AM
If Denver's defense was just marginally better, so would the whole Offense and Jay Cutler.

Improve Denver's defense even to the middle-of-the-pack and give them a feature-Back, this team wouldn't even resemble itself.

NameUsedBefore
11-29-2008, 04:25 AM
Tom Brady (even in a cast), Peyton Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, Tony Romo, Brett Favre, Kurt Warner, Donovan McNabb (except in overtime), Drew Brees, Eli Manning and Matt Ryan.

I think what he actually means is that he'd rather have the Colts, Steelers, Cowboys, Jets, Cardinals, Eagles, Saints, Giants and Falcons seeing as how the Broncos are pretty much terrible in a lot of facets that are out of Cutler's control.

weazel
11-29-2008, 12:12 PM
while the article is quite comical, I do have to say that Cutler has not looked like a superstar by any means.

Drill-N-Fill
11-29-2008, 12:44 PM
The guy is an idiot. His main point is that Jay hasn't proved anything. Then goes on to say that he rather have Tyler Thigpen. As if, Thigpen has proven anything.

Cutler6MVP
11-29-2008, 02:48 PM
while the article is quite comical, I do have to say that Cutler has not looked like a superstar by any means.

The thing is no one has appointed him a superstar, they all say hes on the verge of being a superstar and I think thats a fair assessment. The dude has talent he just needs to use his head a little more.

weazel
11-30-2008, 02:05 AM
The guy is an idiot. His main point is that Jay hasn't proved anything. Then goes on to say that he rather have Tyler Thigpen. As if, Thigpen has proven anything.

Thigpen is playing pretty well. He is moving the ball very well with a team that absolutely sucks. The 2 QB's before him couldn't do anything.

LoyalSoldier
11-30-2008, 02:55 AM
Tell me was he roasting Farve in 2005 and 2006 when he threw 38 TDs and 47 Ints over the course of two years? Amazing how Farve looks great with a team behind him, but when he had a bad team around him he didn't look so hot. In fact he had his worst years

Oh and Farve is leading the league in interceptions. Especially his stretch against the Bengals, Raiders, and Chiefs where he was 3-7 TD-Int. So again if you are going to rip Cutler then all the other QBs deserve some blame too.

Every QB has their problems, even the great ones.

rcsodak
11-30-2008, 08:27 AM
It's almost time to start the "Dump Cutler" thread.....

....tick/tock............tick/tock

:coffee:

NightTrainLayne
04-20-2009, 10:47 AM
I can't wait until Cutler makes you eat those words. . .just like "Big Hoss" did. ..:D

Tubby is ready to serve up some Crow.

Thank you sir. I'll choke it down.

T.K.O.
04-20-2009, 10:56 AM
just to prove a point.... what was barry sanders win/loss record ?
even a great player cant win without a good TEAM !:salute:

Thnikkaman
04-20-2009, 11:52 AM
I would like to revisit this thread in January.

On a side note, I had a dream that Cutler was in a diabetic coma and felt relieved to have dodged that bullet.

EMB6903
04-20-2009, 11:56 AM
I stopped reading when he said 15-17 as a starting QB... Cutler played more then 32 games..

try 17-20

tubby
04-20-2009, 12:06 PM
I stopped reading when he said 15-17 as a starting QB... Cutler played more then 32 games..

try 17-20

Check out the date studmuffin

weazel
04-20-2009, 05:18 PM
someone needs to send this article back to the writer

slim
04-20-2009, 07:07 PM
Not sure who wrote that, but dude was right on the money.

Greatspirits
04-20-2009, 09:18 PM
First off, this guy cant be serious. Tyler Thigpen? What exactly has he won? Never the less, all those other Qb's have a RB, a much better defense, and far less injuries than what we have had to deal with so im ok with Jay Cutler as my Qb, especially considering with all that we have dealt with we still have the 3rd RATED OFFENSE IN THE LEAGUE.

I would take Tyler Thigpen over Jeff George Jr. errr Jay Cutler any day! Neither one of them have won squat, at least Thigpen showed a little something towards the end of last year, while Cutless was blowing away are playoff chances. Cutler will never be anything in this league, he doesn't have it in the head!!

Thnikkaman
04-20-2009, 09:39 PM
I would take Tyler Thigpen over Jeff George Jr. errr Jay Cutler any day! Neither one of them have won squat, at least Thigpen showed a little something towards the end of last year, while Cutless was blowing away are playoff chances. Cutler will never be anything in this league, he doesn't have it in the head!!

Take him in fantasy. I had Cutler in my league last year. I started him and missed the playoffs by a game. Funny.

MOtorboat
04-20-2009, 09:41 PM
Take him in fantasy. I had Cutler in my league last year. I started him and missed the playoffs by a game. Funny.

I came in second.

But that's only because I had a defense.

slim
04-20-2009, 09:42 PM
I had a game manager at QB and I won the whole damn thing :noidea:

Ravage!!!
04-20-2009, 09:50 PM
Interesting who some of the Cutler defenders were early in this thread

LoyalSoldier
04-20-2009, 11:23 PM

Yep, I always find it amazing how one bad event turns a whole set of fans against a player. Even the Colts fans turned on Harrison in a hurry.

Buff
04-20-2009, 11:24 PM
Yep, I always find it amazing how one bad event turns a whole set of fans against a player. Even the Colts fans turned on Harrison in a hurry.

I know, you shoot one person and all the sudden you're the bad guy. :whoknows:

slim
04-20-2009, 11:25 PM

:confused:

LoyalSoldier
04-20-2009, 11:25 PM
I know, you shoot one person and all the sudden you're the bad guy. :whoknows:
It wasn't even over that. It was simply a few dropped passes.

broncfn90
04-21-2009, 12:01 AM
they will learn that Jay is a hell of a QB and a leader and the bronco fans that are happy that he is gone will come to realize soon enough what we lost

slim
04-21-2009, 12:04 AM
they will learn that Jay is a hell of a QB and a leader and the bronco fans that are happy that he is gone will come to realize soon enough what we lost

Yeah, I will miss missing the playoffs.

Shazam!
04-21-2009, 12:48 AM
Jay showed quite the leadership this year by not giving a ****.

weazel
04-21-2009, 11:13 AM
It wasn't even over that. It was simply a few dropped passes.

yeah, shooting a person is alright, but dropping passes is unforgivable!

Thnikkaman
04-21-2009, 11:15 AM
yeah, shooting a person is alright, but dropping passes is unforgivable!

Sometimes you just need to bust a cap in someones ass.

tubby
04-21-2009, 11:22 AM
Gotta be handy with the steele.

Foochacho
04-21-2009, 01:20 PM

Thank you for telling what I will be thinking in the future. Do you do palm readings too? Can you tell me how old I will be when I die? I am happy we have resident psychic now I can get all the answers to my questions in life.

Thnikkaman
04-21-2009, 01:37 PM

And furthermore, who are they?

We lost a player. They are replaceable.

broncfn90
04-21-2009, 01:49 PM
Yeah, I will miss missing the playoffs.

ya your right it was all cutler that caused us not to go to the playoffs.... i would agree with the buffalo game but ya man your so right

tubby
04-21-2009, 01:51 PM
ya your right it was all cutler that caused us to go to the playoffs.... i would agree with the buffalo game but ya man your so right

Pube check

rcsodak
04-21-2009, 04:21 PM
I can't wait until Cutler makes you eat those words

For posterity sake..... lol

SmilinAssasSin27
04-21-2009, 06:45 PM
I don't think the Cutler bashers here are questioning his ability to toss the rock. So there will be no crow to eat. The issue was with his child-like antics and constant story changing.

hotcarl
04-21-2009, 07:12 PM
mods please move to the bears forum tia
~carl