PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' Marshall takes right step with talk to Irvin

Den21vsBal19
11-28-2008, 08:23 AM
Whilst I think it's great that Irvin's taken the time to do this, I seem to recall he had more than his fair share of controversy (I seem to recall drugs & guns somewhere at the back of my mind :confused: ), but if Marshall can learn from those off-field mistakes, then hopefully it can only be good for him...............

Lee Rasizer, Rocky Mountain News (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/nov/27/broncos-marshall-takes-right-step-with-talk-to/)

Thanksgiving dinner wasn't the only memorable meal this week for Brandon Marshall.

He also got to break bread with Hall of Fame wide receiver Michael Irvin, who offered career advice both about off-field and on-field matters.

Marshall on Thursday described his recent play "as just OK, and good sometimes."

He doesn't have a 100-yard receiving game since Sept. 21 and has scored one touchdown in the past seven games.

Irvin, the ex-Dallas Cowboys great, advised Marshall that he needed to get back to being aggressive with defensive backs instead of playing passive football.

"He put a lot of things in perspective for me," Marshall said. "'Whether they're rolling coverage toward or double-teaming, impose your will at all times.'

"Sometimes I found myself back-side on plays or if I see a double team, kind of taking it easy thinking Jay (Cutler)'s not coming to me," Marshall explained. "But I can give our offensive coordinator and Jedd Fisch, our receivers coach, and Jay confidence that it doesn't matter if they put two or three guys on me that I'm going to get the job done."

Marshall named players such as Cris Carter, Jerry Rice and Irvin as receivers who took that approach and produced startling career-long results.

Irvin tracked down Marshall through a friend and told the Broncos wideout he'd wanted to speak with him for awhile.

Marshall, in turn, expressed to Irvin that he never had watched a Hall of Fame induction speech but saw Irvin's in August 2007 and nearly was moved to tears.

"The things he was able to overcome and achieve, he's a Hall of Fame guy," the Broncos receiver said.

Like Irvin, at times a magnet for controversy in Dallas, Marshall has had his off-field missteps.

The Broncos receiver has worked hard to change his image by keeping his nose clean in recent months and by partaking in charitable endeavors.

Irvin told Marshall to continue on his current path and to continue to surround himself with the right people.

"I feel good the direction I'm headed," Marshall said.

LordTrychon
11-28-2008, 09:06 AM
Irvin sought out Marshall to offer advice....

He just gained a few points in my book. :salute:

Lonestar
11-28-2008, 12:30 PM
I spent alot of time in DAL in classes during his heyday and a few of the local press folks were very critical of him and the other superstars that got away with everything just short of murder by the local cops.

drinking and womanizing till all hours and in may cases given rides home from the cops when they were pulled over for driving drunk..

I have never had any respect for his worthless ass but if he can straighten out Marshall a better dominant player Hallelujah..

Northman
11-28-2008, 12:45 PM
Irvin sought out Marshall to offer advice....

He just gained a few points in my book. :salute:

Actually, i thought his HOF speech was exceptional and showed of a guy who knew he had made some mistakes. Ive always liked him as a player and hated the fact that he started to get too much into drugs. Im glad he was able to rise out of that and hopefully Brandon will take his advice and steer clear of trouble like that.

LordTrychon
11-28-2008, 01:19 PM
Actually, i thought his HOF speech was exceptional and showed of a guy who knew he had made some mistakes. Ive always liked him as a player and hated the fact that he started to get too much into drugs. Im glad he was able to rise out of that and hopefully Brandon will take his advice and steer clear of trouble like that.

I never had much of an opinion of the guy one way or the other.

Then there was a story last year of a guy showing up to a party of his and getting in trouble for drug items or something along those lines (I have a bad memory). Irvin kicked him out but was trying to help him recover at the same time.

I figure if it was true, I am a fan... I'm not 100%... but I think so. Good for him.

Shazam!
11-28-2008, 02:57 PM
Thank you Michael Irvin. I hated your guts while you were with Dallas for your arrogance, but I believe as years went by, not only in retirement but your latter years playing, you showed some degree of class and humility.

I believe players who had long careers of any level can influence fledgling players, even if they won't be superstars, to inspire them to play their best and be team first guys and instill good work ethic.

This is why I believe having as many ex-players who were with said teams as possible on the sideline and coaching staff is a great thing. I think they should be offered jobs, even if they may not want them...

Like Rod Smith for WR Coach for example.

Requiem / The Dagda
11-28-2008, 03:39 PM
Michael Irvin is probably the last guy Marshall needs to get advice from. Unless he is wondering where the yayo at.

SR
11-28-2008, 05:37 PM
Michael Irvin is probably the last guy Marshall needs to get advice from. Unless he is wondering where the yayo at.

No joke. It's almost as bad as if Mike Tyson tried to give Roy Jones Jr advice.

Broncogator
11-28-2008, 06:05 PM
Talk about the blind leading the blind...:tsk:

WARHORSE
11-28-2008, 07:14 PM
This is amazing. I was thinking about this just two weeks ago, hoping that Marshall would seek out Irvin for some advice. The reason being, Irvin was a big WR, with not too much speed, who REALLY knew how to be physical and work DBs with his size and positioning. Marshall has an advantage over Irvin in that he is much more elusive for a big man, and if he can take Irvins gameday into his own, he can really blow the top off.

For everyone who has ever smoked a crack pipe, or snorted a line, or drank himself into a stupor, or bled ganja from overuse, I have nothing but hope for guys like Michael Irvin. Mistakes dont determine a man. Response does, and sometimes it takes a lot of falling before you understand how to stand tall, and how important it is.

His HOF speech did move me to tears, and he has his priorities straight, even if that doesnt always present itself through his weaknesses. He understands that he is loved by the Lord, and has been humbled by his mistakes in the sight of his wife and children...............and the entire nation.

Im glad he talked to Marshall, and when it comes to being a dominant WR........I hope he keeps Irvin around long enough to learn well his gameday tactics.:salute:

BroncoWave
11-28-2008, 08:47 PM

No joke. It's almost as bad as if Mike Tyson tried to give Roy Jones Jr advice.

Yeah, damn Marshall getting advice from a Hall of Fame WR with three SB rings. How horrible of him. :rolleyes:

Given the way Irvin's career went and how he has now seemingly turned his life around, I think he would be a fantastic source of advice for a WR like Marshall.

Seems like some of you still harbor hate of him from his Dallas days and aren't looking at things objectively. :coffee:

SR
11-28-2008, 08:51 PM
Yeah, damn Marshall getting advice from a Hall of Fame WR with three SB rings. How horrible of him. :rolleyes:

Given the way Irvin's career went and how he has now seemingly turned his life around, I think he would be a fantastic source of advice for a WR like Marshall.

Seems like some of you still harbor hate of him from his Dallas days and aren't looking at things objectively. :coffee:

Wasn't it just a couple of years ago when he was with ESPN where they found him with a pipe or a bong or something? Yeah. He turned his life around alright. It has nothing to do with harboring hate or anything else. If Marshall is going to seek career/life advice, maybe he should think about getting it from people who have led admirable professional lives like Rod Smith or Jerry Rice. Not fricken Micheal Irvin.

Hawgdriver
11-28-2008, 09:24 PM
Marshall needs to be told to be more aggressive? Great. We have a passive-aggressive prima donna starting at WR who is a sissy punk in a funk. Where's the good news?

:laugh:

Brandon, dude, we are waiting on you bro. We know you have faced adversity and overcome to get to this point, but it's not over yet. It will never be over. But you can become immortal if you rise above whatever demons are swirling about your head. You are not alone. You embody a struggle we all have. Overcome, rise above. Dominate.

Or wilt into obscurity and oblivion, because we don't have much patience.

Anyway, cool story. Irvin may not be the best role model, but at least Brandon will listen, and he's giving Brandon the best piece of advice he could hear:

Surround yourself with the right people. He ought to listen.

Superchop 7
11-28-2008, 10:23 PM
I'm sure Brandon has been given good advice 1000 times.

The point is, he listened.

Wisdom.

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
11-28-2008, 10:26 PM

I agreee that was one hell of a speech and Brandon should follow his lead

BroncoWave
11-28-2008, 10:34 PM
Wasn't it just a couple of years ago when he was with ESPN where they found him with a pipe or a bong or something? Yeah. He turned his life around alright. It has nothing to do with harboring hate or anything else. If Marshall is going to seek career/life advice, maybe he should think about getting it from people who have led admirable professional lives like Rod Smith or Jerry Rice. Not fricken Micheal Irvin.

Neither you nor I know the details of that case or if it was even his bong. He said it belonged to a friend of his and given the fact that everything but that incident in his life has been positive over the last several years, I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I, personally, can't think of anyone better to give Brandon advice than someone who also had problems early in his career and overcame them to become who he is today. Just because Irvin has had problems in his past doesn't make his advice any less valid than a Rod Smith or a Jerry rice. Besides, if I remember correctly, Rod wasn't exactly a choir boy at the beginning of his career either. I guess that makes his advice invalid too. :rolleyes:

I mean seriously, I'm sure all the advice he gave him pertained to how he could become a better football player and to avoid the mistakes that he made in his career. What's so bad about Irvin passing that info on? It's not like he went in there and told Brandon to start smoking crack and be a big prima donna on the field.

Mike
11-29-2008, 12:16 AM
From what I have read, Irvin had a superior work ethic and loved to win games above everything else. He was a loyal teammate. From what I have read, he was a marginal talent. He just wanted it more than others did. Everyone knows how far he fell, and given his speech at Canton, he realizes it too. I would think that his words, backed up by his experience on and off the field, are helpful to young players.

BroncoTech
11-30-2008, 01:23 AM
Irvin told Marshall to continue on his current path and to continue to surround himself with the right people.

That would include not associating with Irvin, IMO. But otherwise sound advice. He should have thrown in there nothing good happens after midnight. We don't know what was discussed but I bet Brandon didn't get a word in edgewise, that Irvin is a talker.

Jerry Rice is weak at communicating, he does a lot of sports shows in the bay area and never has much to say. I'd like to see a pure guy get a hold of Brandon though. Mike Singletary should give him a talking to, he's a motivator too.