PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' offensive line is playing great so far

Denver Native (Carol)
08-22-2011, 10:30 AM
Maybe it's the magic of Magazu. That would be Dave Magazu, the offensive line coach.

The Broncos have basically the same offensive line as last season, with the exception of a rookie at right tackle. Yet the Broncos' first-team line has been blowing open holes in the running game and giving quarterback Kyle Orton all the time he needs to throw the ball.

In two quarters and one drive of play, the Broncos' first-team line has helped generate a whopping 312 yards in total offense — 86 rushing and 226 passing — and 17 points that would have been 28 with better execution on first-and-goal.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18730178

Nomad
08-22-2011, 10:38 AM
Attaboy to Franklin....who kept Dareus in check most of the time.

Agent of Orange
08-22-2011, 10:39 AM
"Magic of Magazu"...it's easy to guess who wrote this without even clickign the link. Mike Klis' specialty is obvious and stupid wordplay.

Agent of Orange
08-22-2011, 10:44 AM
"I think this group is the best group I've ever had," Orton said.

Best "you've" ever had???!!! ****, Orton! ****!

Ziggy
08-22-2011, 11:36 AM

He actually kept him in check every time they matched up. Dareus got his sack when he was matched up against Kuper and Walton.

broncofaninfla
08-22-2011, 11:36 AM
Am I the only one seeing Beadles continue to struggle?

BigDaddyBronco
08-22-2011, 11:50 AM

He looked really good against Dareus. On the Dareus sack he beat a Kuper and Walton double team. Most of Franklin's work on Dareus was in the run gam. Franklin is a beast in the run game and Dareus is a better pass rusher than a run stopper at this point.

BigDaddyBronco
08-22-2011, 11:52 AM
Am I the only one seeing Beadles continue to struggle?

No, he does continue to struggle. Hopefully he gets better as the year goes on. I thought he was better at RT last year than guard. Worst case scenario is that he is not a good prospect at guard and they need to get another. Way easier to get a guard than a tackle.

Lancane
08-22-2011, 11:53 AM
Best "you've" ever had???!!! ****, Orton! ****!

My thoughts exactly! :salute:

Nomad
08-22-2011, 12:03 PM
He looked really good against Dareus. On the Dareus sack he beat a Kuper and Walton double team. Most of Franklin's work on Dareus was in the run gam. Franklin is a beast in the run game and Dareus is a better pass rusher than a run stopper at this point.

I'm looking forward to see the improvement and the rematch on Dec 24 and being southern boys, how they both do in that cold Buffalo weather.

tubby
08-22-2011, 10:01 PM
Zane gets blown up. His nickname is TRex.

missingnumber7
08-23-2011, 08:23 AM
Is Klis watching the Oline at all? I'm sorry I know we are playing better, but there is no way that you can say that the Oline is playing good enough to write an article for any newspaper about it.

Dirk
08-23-2011, 08:28 AM
I noticed the "time" Orton had back there. There is definately a difference so far. But again it is preseason and the first teams don't usually fight as hard in the trenches as they do in regualar season. I hope it continues once the season starts...I think they will only get better.

Ziggy
08-23-2011, 08:46 AM
Is Klis watching the Oline at all? I'm sorry I know we are playing better, but there is no way that you can say that the Oline is playing good enough to write an article for any newspaper about it.

I disagree. This line is miles ahead of where the Oline was last year at the end of the season.

BigSarge87
08-23-2011, 09:33 AM
We'll see when they actually start getting the full blitz package from opposing defenses.

Agent of Orange
08-23-2011, 09:37 AM
I just think that playing at altitude offers ceratain advantages. Some are physiological and some are physical. But if you don't utilize those advantages that come from playing at altitude, it doesn't matter. The most meaningful way to take advantage of playing at altitude is for the line to assert itself against the opponents defensive line. Not only does that usually mean you're being productive over the course of the game, but the 4th qtr is where you can really start to see the altitude kick in. If our OLine has been effective, suddenly in the 4th, the 3 yard runs become 8 yard runs. But this advanatage is so much more amplified if you lay the groundwork over the first 3 quarters.

It's harder to maximize this advantage against DBs and LBs since they're in better shape. Also, making the opposing DLinemen feel the burn in their legs and lungs is the best way to control the game. If you can control the LOS, it really becomes a more pronounced advantage at altitude even more than it normally is.

This is one of the stupid things about the offense we've had the past couple of years. It basically conceded this advantage in most instances. If we're not winning this battle by making the opposing Dlinemen feel the burn, then we're losing it by making our own guys feel it (albeit to lesser degree since theyre more acclimated but its still there). And that's part of what has been happening the past couple of years.

Aside from the obvious reasons that apply to all teams, Denvers offensive line has to be able to win games. There is a bigger impact that comes from playing at altitude.