PDA

View Full Version : Denver Broncos' defense shows aggressive nature

TXBRONC
08-22-2011, 09:59 AM
Denver Broncos' defense shows aggressive nature
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post
Posted: 08/22/2011 01:00:00 AM MDT

What some 64,000 fans saw at Sports Authority Field at Mile High on Saturday night was a defense that recorded one sack, eight quarterback hurries, six tackles for a loss and one interception in a 24-10 win against the Buffalo Bills.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18730413

The article also says that in the two preseason games the starting defense has only given up 180 yards and two fields. Time will tell if that really means anything or is the fact that's preseason.

vandammage13
08-22-2011, 10:13 AM
The two opponents did combine for just 10 wins last year...

...And like you said it is preseason..

It's promising, but I wouldn't hedge my bets quite yet.

Doom coming back and the addition of Von should help out a lot though.

Rick
08-22-2011, 10:24 AM
How many wins did we have last year when added to that equation?

If anyone would remember last year there were two very evident things from the get go in preseason.

1. We couldn't run for shit at any point.
2. We couldn't stop a soul.

We have done both so far in this preseason. Still plenty of room for improvement and only preseason but I see night and day difference between last year and this.

Agent of Orange
08-22-2011, 10:32 AM
How many wins did we have last year when added to that equation?

If anyone would remember last year there were two very evident things from the get go in preseason.

1. We couldn't run for shit at any point.
2. We couldn't stop a soul.

We have done both so far in this preseason. Still plenty of room for improvement and only preseason but I see night and day difference between last year and this.

It makes a huge difference when you can run the ball and pressure the QB. Both of these things help your run defense. The run defense still may not be great and might get exploited at various times this year but the ability to keep them off the field by running the ball and having a pass rush that can get off the field on third downs should help a lot. This is assuming if your assessment of both is correct. I agree that it's been encouraging in this regard.

And I didn't even mention the possibility of the pass rush generating turnovers leading to points. The more this happens, the more the opponents will pass instead of run.

TXBRONC
08-22-2011, 10:39 AM
The two opponents did combine for just 10 wins last year...

...And like you said it is preseason..

It's promising, but I wouldn't hedge my bets quite yet.

Doom coming back and the addition of Von should help out a lot though.

Another thing, we did give up significant yardage and time. Buffalo on their opening driving chewed around 8 minutes of the first quarter. If were playing from behind a lot during the regular season that's troubling to say the least.