PDA

View Full Version : Rahim Moore defends his hit

DenBronx
08-21-2011, 06:06 PM
Posted by Michael David Smith on August 21, 2011, 3:37 PM EDT

Broncos rookie safety Rahim Moore knocked Bills receiver Donald Jones out of Saturday night’s preseason game with a hard hit that drew a 15-yard penalty and some angry responses from the Bills. But Moore says he was just playing the game the way he thinks it’s meant to be played.

“I was being a football player,” Moore said. “I couldn’t really get to the ball to pick it off, which is what I really wanted to do. But my intention was just to hit him. Our coaches want us to be physical, so I’m going to do what I do.”

Read the rest here: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/21/rahim-moore-defends-his-hit/

I Eat Staples
08-21-2011, 06:09 PM
I'm glad he's taking that stance. I wouldn't want to see a young player apologize for playing football the way it should be played. **** Goodell.

DenBronx
08-21-2011, 06:09 PM
I love the physical playing style of Moore. That's something Denver has lacked for years. Dawkins I think is really helping this kid become a special player.

Can't wait to see more of Moore.

For the record, I thought the hit was clean. He led with his shoulder and not his helmet. I rewatched the play and the WR's head bounced off the ground and that's what caused the concussion.

Northman
08-21-2011, 06:14 PM
His hit was legal as far as im concerned so im glad he understands that. He didnt hit the guy to hurt him, just playing ball.

shank
08-21-2011, 06:18 PM
sad that he has too.

SmilinAssasSin27
08-21-2011, 07:15 PM
I didn't think it was a bad hit at all. He didn't LEAD w/ his head and he hit dude in the upper chest. I really didn't understand what the announcers were talking about in regards to a hefty fine coming. Actually think the flag was unnecessary.

atwater27
08-21-2011, 07:39 PM
Amen to every post so far. We need some hard hitters up in here. It's been awhile.

spikerman
08-21-2011, 08:02 PM
You know what's really wonderful about this play (besides the player being ok)? The next time people want to criticize officials think back to this play. On this board and others, posters are debating about whether it should have been flagged or not with people looking at the same play and seeing different things. The one or two officials who threw the flags had a split second, without the benefit of replay, to make a call -and that's not unusual. Personally, I think it was the right call, but I understand that most of you don't. Anyway, not to derail the thread, but I wanted to stand up for my officiating brethren.

Anyway, back to the debate.

Northman
08-21-2011, 08:06 PM
You know what's really wonderful about this play (besides the player being ok)? The next time people want to criticize officials think back to this play. On this board and others, posters are debating about whether it should have been flagged or not with people looking at the same play and seeing different things. The one or two officials who threw the flags had a split second, without the benefit of replay, to make a call -and that's not unusual. Personally, I think it was the right call, but I understand that most of you don't. Anyway, not to derail the thread, but I wanted to stand up for my officiating brethren.

Anyway, back to the debate.

I agree, the officials do the best they can and sometimes they screw up like there. I just hope they go back and realize their mistake so they dont keep making them down the line. Just like players who need to adjust their tackling, hitting, etc, the refs need to work on learning the rules themselves and making better calls so that they dont dictate how games go. The play should be dictated by the players, not the refs.

Canmore
08-21-2011, 08:16 PM
It looked to me like he lead with his shoulder into the chest area of the reciever which is textbook on how you are suppose to play in this day and age. With that said it looked like in the collision, Moore's helmet slid up into the chin area, facemask and that's helmet to helmet and will get flagged everytime. It was not a "dirty" hit. The game is so fast. That is going to happen. The announcers were talking about a possible ejection but that is for blatently leading with the head. Moore did not.

SR
08-21-2011, 08:40 PM
Legal or not, something has to make the opposing team nervous to go across the middle against the Broncos. If a couple of Roy Williams-like hits is what it takes to make people think twice, then so be it. I'm tired of the Broncos defense being soft.

Tned
08-21-2011, 08:46 PM
It looked to me like he lead with his shoulder into the chest area of the reciever which is textbook on how you are suppose to play in this day and age. With that said it looked like in the collision, Moore's helmet slid up into the chin area, facemask and that's helmet to helmet and will get flagged everytime. It was not a "dirty" hit. The game is so fast. That is going to happen. The announcers were talking about a possible ejection but that is for blatently leading with the head. Moore did not.

I think the ejection talk was them not fully understanding how the new rules will be called. Launching, leading with the helmet, or hitting the defenseless players head with your helmet, shoulders or arms are all 15 yard penalties and 'can' also lead to an ejection if they are deemed 'flagrant.'

Since flagrant is pretty loosely defined, the talking heads are probably unsure how these new rules will play out.

MasterShake
08-21-2011, 08:48 PM
I love the physical playing style of Moore. That's something Denver has lacked for years. Dawkins I think is really helping this kid become a special player.

Can't wait to see more of Moore.

For the record, I thought the hit was clean. He led with his shoulder and not his helmet. I rewatched the play and the WR's head bounced off the ground and that's what caused the concussion.

Yeah, I missed that play because I was putting my son to bed. I heard about it and went back to watch it because there was such an uproar. Just watching it live action I would have never guessed it was an illegal hit. Looked clean to me, a little close to the head but he seemed to lead with his shoulder even in the replay.

Canmore
08-21-2011, 08:56 PM
Legal or not, something has to make the opposing team nervous to go across the middle against the Broncos. If a couple of Roy Williams-like hits is what it takes to make people think twice, then so be it. I'm tired of the Broncos defense being soft.

I hear you. I was excited that Moore lit him up. I thought he made the hit initially text book, but slid up him as he knocked him senseless. I'm sure that reciever and the rest of the Bills will remember Moore the next time they see him.

Canmore
08-21-2011, 08:58 PM
I think the ejection talk was them not fully understanding how the new rules will be called. Launching, leading with the helmet, or hitting the defenseless players head with your helmet, shoulders or arms are all 15 yard penalties and 'can' also lead to an ejection if they are deemed 'flagrant.'

Since flagrant is pretty loosely defined, the talking heads are probably unsure how these new rules will play out.

I agree. I don't know how these rules will play out either. Moore did not make initial contact to the head area and the talk of ejection seemed unwarranted.

underrated29
08-21-2011, 08:59 PM
I think, would have to watch it in slow mo but I think that moored gave him the Roy Williams hit and davis body did just what Roy Williams did. Basically turned into a horseshoe. Thus the impact caused davidson head to go forward and down and right into rhahims head.....but that was after initial contact and he clearly didn't lead with his head.

I would presume there will not be a fine bit the nfl might imporlse one just to save face or some PR bullspit like that.

spikerman
08-21-2011, 09:02 PM
I agree, the officials do the best they can and sometimes they screw up like there. I just hope they go back and realize their mistake so they dont keep making them down the line. Just like players who need to adjust their tackling, hitting, etc, the refs need to work on learning the rules themselves and making better calls so that they dont dictate how games go. The play should be dictated by the players, not the refs.

I guarantee that they know the rules inside and out. They just enforce them as written. Those officials go through year-round training and go out to work the teams' practices to get some practice themselves. Although a lot of people complain about the calls that are made, and the officials are human and certainly not perfect, I think you would be amazed at how often they get the calls correct. Those guys at that level are most definitely the best of the best.

One last thing, I don't know for sure how the NFL rule is written, but to be considered "going high" on a defenseless player in our rules doesn't necessarily have to mean the head. If it's the same, I wonder if that played a part in the call.

Northman
08-21-2011, 09:05 PM
I guarantee that they know the rules inside and out. They just enforce them as written. Those officials go through year-round training and go out to work the teams' practices to get some practice themselves. Although a lot of people complain about the calls that are made, and the officials are human and certainly not perfect, I think you would be amazed at how often they get the calls correct. Those guys at that level are most definitely the best of the best.

But they do make mistakes and have. That was my point. As long as they look at that and learn from their mistakes they will continue to improve. But your right, its a thankless job as ive officiated a game before and it makes you very unpopular. :lol:

Tned
08-21-2011, 09:20 PM
I agree. I don't know how these rules will play out either. Moore did not make initial contact to the head area and the talk of ejection seemed unwarranted.

The one article I posted somewhere earlier today had this quote from the Falcon's President who is on the competition committee:

“This will permanently change the mentality, we think, of the defensive back trying to separate the ball in that you’ve got to lower your aim point,” McKay said. “The aim point has got to come into the numbers or below as opposed to above because you have to give that player an opportunity to defend themselves.”

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/nfl-owners-approve-new-rules-changes-defensive-players-might-not-like-052411

Denver Native (Carol)
08-21-2011, 09:39 PM
Rookie Rahim Moore makes a visit on all All Access tonight. He still thinks it was a clean hit. I agree.

http://twitter.com/#!/VicLombardi/statuses/105466426185367554

Nomad
08-21-2011, 09:47 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/VicLombardi/statuses/105466426185367554

What's Scott think DN?!? Spiker's an official and he seems to interpret the way I read the rule, wondering what a soon-to-be (it's coming :D)NFL official (Scott) thought.

A couple years ago, it would have been a clean hit but as Tned pointed out the rule has changed. Yes, it's football and I had no problem with the hit but the rules are the rules.

Agent of Orange
08-21-2011, 09:54 PM
I think, would have to watch it in slow mo but I think that moored gave him the Roy Williams hit and davis body did just what Roy Williams did. Basically turned into a horseshoe. Thus the impact caused davidson head to go forward and down and right into rhahims head.....but that was after initial contact and he clearly didn't lead with his head.

I would presume there will not be a fine bit the nfl might imporlse one just to save face or some PR bullspit like that.

Yes. This is exactly it. Moore's shoulder impacted him in the breast plate and it caused his head to rock forward into Moore's head.

Lancane
08-21-2011, 10:16 PM
What's Scott think DN?!? Spiker's an official and he seems to interpret the way I read the rule, wondering what a soon-to-be (it's coming :D)NFL official (Scott) thought.

A couple years ago, it would have been a clean hit but as Tned pointed out the rule has changed. Yes, it's football and I had no problem with the hit but the rules are the rules.

Thus the reason that 'headhunters' are no longer really seen in the NFL, the likes of Jack Tatum, Steve Atwater, Ronnie Lott and Chuck Cecil they scared the shit out of opposing offenses, they knew they were going to lay the wood and bring the pain, headhunting defensive backs and linebackers have come under scrutiny for what some call dirty play, but 'headhunting' is not dirty, it's just deadly. And not only to those that are on the receiving end of a hit. But then again, let's face facts the current NFL has been castrated, the teams of today couldn't compete with the teams of the 70's, 80's or the 90's and decade by decade we've seen a decline in defensive greats, there are some great players in the league, but do they measure up against the legends of yesteryear? I'd say not...

I understand what Spikerman is saying, but last night I saw the play and automatically knew the officials would scream 'foul' though I would consider it a clean hit. He did lead with his shoulder, his head did dip a little when Moore realized the hit could not be avoided, what made the hit worse was that the receiver was not completely stable on his feet - he still had some air under him and the hit took the ground away and so it looked much fiercer and then hitting his head upon the floor knocked him even further into a state of senselessness. He'll most likely be fined because the league 'lost it's balls' and are too protective of these athletes, but I for one say he doesn't deserved to be fined nor should he have been penalized, the league was built on two things, 1) Passing - the NFL become more famous with entrance of high powered passing quarterbacks. 2) Big Hits - before there were big armed quarterbacks the NFL thrived on those wanting to see the brutality of the sport, and Goodell has forgotten this part of it.

Davii
08-21-2011, 10:23 PM
There is no need for Rahim to defend this hit. It was legal. I understand the flag, and even though the hit was legal, wouldn't argue it. The full speed of the game is hard to tell the difference between leading with the helmet our just merely hitting helmets.

Great hit Rahim, I'm impressed with this young man's skills, he's only going to get better. A MUCH needed attitude and fire on D

DenBronx
08-22-2011, 01:56 AM
So, what are guys supposed to hit with now? No helmet to helmet, can't launch, lead with shoulder, ect? W

Should they just two hand touch them down?

Might as well take off the helmets and add flags but Goodell would just make them keep the helmets on and add flags.

shank
08-22-2011, 08:44 AM
lose the pads, just have the 2 head coaches play each other at madden.

but then that will be over regulated to avoid carpal tunnel and thumb blisters.

BeefStew25
08-22-2011, 08:58 AM
Listen, I think the NFL should be like NASCAR. You always want the chance for one of the competitors to die or be horribly maimed.

SOCALORADO.
08-22-2011, 09:16 AM
Clean hit.
The refs blew it. And the announcers made it worse by saying he was going to be ejected! LOL! Wow. idiot comment.
In all my years of watching Rahim, i have NEVER seen him make a hit like that! Encouraging.
The league really needs to address the stupid position they put refs in when it comes to contact. These guys are so freakin paranoid now, they cannot officiate with any common sense.

vandammage13
08-22-2011, 09:43 AM
In all my years of watching Rahim, i have NEVER seen him make a hit like that! Encouraging.

The guy is a rookie...You a UCLA fan or something?

West
08-22-2011, 09:58 AM
Great, clean hit by Moore.

This f****** league is so puss*fied its unbelievable. Defenseless receiver my ass. What is Moore suppose to do? Let the WR catch the ball? He did what he's suppose to... Seperate the receiver from the ball with his shoulder.

Good hit.

LOL @ Stevie Johnson. **** and go drop another game winning TD pass, or something.

Agent of Orange
08-22-2011, 10:24 AM
If they want to call a penalty that's one thing. But it should definitely not be a fine or an ejection. When it's a borderline call it's really stupid to eject players. Imagine if something like this happens to Troy Polamalu in a playoff game. So, it's OK for the Steelers to lose their best DB against Manning or Brady for the entire second half of a playoff game? Maybe that's the point...to prop up Manning and Brady every way they can.

But like I said, if they want to make the game safer and decide to make big hits penalties, thats fine but you have to start giving other things back to the defense. For example, i they're going to have rules "protecting" the passer and receiver, then they should also take allow the defenders to face guard and make contact after 5 yards.

SOCALORADO.
08-22-2011, 10:28 AM
The guy is a rookie...You a UCLA fan or something?

Well, i do get all their games, so i have watched quite a bit of him.

tomjonesrocks
08-22-2011, 10:30 AM
I agree it was nice to see Moore be physical, especially since lack of physicality was a knock against him.

However, if this is the same exact hit by a rookie Bills safety on Brandon Lloyd, there wouldn't be this kind of 'clean hit' stuff here.

vandammage13
08-22-2011, 10:41 AM
Well, i do get all their games, so i have watched quite a bit of him.

Yikes...No wonder College football is bigger in the South....