PDA

View Full Version : Rumor that Colts are interested in Quinn

Tned
08-21-2011, 05:09 PM
Ok, first, I want to say that there is some question about the source's reliability. Below is a link to a story that @MaxBroncos sent me about the source.

Here is the rumor:

RT @incarceratedbob: **UPDATED NFL NEWS**Source: Indy Colts have been calling around looking for backup QB help & targeted Brady Quinn / Gradowski / Josh Johnson

Here is the link that @MaxBroncos posted about IncarceratedBob: http://nfldraftmonsters.com/news/is-incarceratedbob-a-complete-fraud/

Northman
08-21-2011, 05:15 PM
Lol, Tned bringing news from the Mane.

As i said there, Quinn for Freeney or Mathis i would do.

chazoe60
08-21-2011, 05:17 PM
They can't have our starter! How bout we send em Orton instead?

Tned
08-21-2011, 05:19 PM
Lol, Tned bringing news from the Mane.

As i said there, Quinn for Freeney or Mathis i would do.

Mane, BroncosCountry, Colts Forum.

Tned
08-21-2011, 05:22 PM
Mane, BroncosCountry, Colts Forum.

P.S. The IncarceratedBob Tweet was posted on Broncos Country before the Mane. ;)

Denver Native (Carol)
08-21-2011, 05:23 PM
IMO, that would be a mistake to let Quinn go

Ziggy
08-21-2011, 05:23 PM
Quinn is the best QB on the roster at the moment, but he'll be a free agent at the end of the season also.

Northman
08-21-2011, 05:24 PM
P.S. The IncarceratedBob Tweet was posted on Broncos Country before the Mane. ;)

Im just busting your balls. I dont care where it came from mate. :D

Tned
08-21-2011, 05:25 PM
Im just busting your balls. I dont care where it came from mate. :D

I know, but I'm bored.

Dzone
08-21-2011, 05:25 PM
maybe theres not enough money to pay all 3 of those guys. I hope we can keep all 3

Northman
08-21-2011, 05:27 PM
Hard to say it would be a mistake to let him go. He is still a work in progress and hasnt proven anything beyond 2nd and 3rd stringers. I think people are giving him WAY too much credit right now. Indy (if true) is just looking for a backup to fill in until Peyton is ready.

MOtorboat
08-21-2011, 05:28 PM
maybe theres not enough money to pay all 3 of those guys. I hope we can keep all 3

That's not a problem at all. This is more about Manning not being ready and the Colts not being confident in their backups.

Agent of Orange
08-21-2011, 05:29 PM

...not that there's anything wrong with that.

Rick
08-21-2011, 05:29 PM
Before Tebow came aboard there was excitement that Quin could develop into a franchise QB.

He did not have a great off season last year and with Tebow getting drafted he was never really though of again.

If Tebow was never drafted all the QB battle talk would be about Quin and Orton.

I still like Tebow and want him around to see if he turns into something in the future but Quin has looked really good so far this off season and is still young.

Could very well be him that beats out Orton and with him being young, if he still can turn into something he may be the franchise guy that keeps us from spending a pick on a QB next year instead of the defense where it should be spent on.

Lets hang onto him this season and see what happens...

Tned
08-21-2011, 05:38 PM
Before Tebow came aboard there was excitement that Quin could develop into a franchise QB.

He did not have a great off season last year and with Tebow getting drafted he was never really though of again.

If Tebow was never drafted all the QB battle talk would be about Quin and Orton.

I still like Tebow and want him around to see if he turns into something in the future but Quin has looked really good so far this off season and is still young.

Could very well be him that beats out Orton and with him being young, if he still can turn into something he may be the franchise guy that keeps us from spending a pick on a QB next year instead of the defense where it should be spent on.

Lets hang onto him this season and see what happens...

Some were excited, but more based on his "first round" tag than his performance in Cleveland.

As to beating out Orton, I don't see him beating out Orton between now and Week 1, and I don't see any chance that Quinn and Orton are both resigned next year (very possibly neither, but not both).

Rick
08-21-2011, 05:42 PM
IF Quinn can beat out Orton and shows something I could see him being resigned.

He might not want to though if he feels Tebow is looking over his shoulders.

MileHighCrew
08-21-2011, 05:43 PM
I am open to any of our QBs leaving if it helps improve this team.

Tned
08-21-2011, 05:44 PM
IF Quinn can beat out Orton and shows something I could see him being resigned.

He might not want to though if he feels Tebow is looking over his shoulders.

I agree that if he beat out Orton to start, or took over in the offseason and finished as the starter, he could be resigned. I was just saying it was unlikely that he would be able to beat him out in the next two weeks, especially since Orton is playing better than Quinn in the games.

That and I don't see any scenario where the Broncos resign both of them allowing for them to compete for the starting job next year.

nevcraw
08-21-2011, 05:55 PM
would have no (zero, nada, zip, niet) issue with Orton or Quinn going bye bye for a little or a lot..

BroncoStud
08-21-2011, 06:01 PM
Manning's recovery must be slower than initially thought.

DenBronx
08-21-2011, 06:04 PM
what would they give up for him?

is there anyway we can just get hillis back?

Denver Native (Carol)
08-21-2011, 06:05 PM
what would they give up for him?

is there anyway we can just get hillis back?

It would require a 3 team trade

Thnikkaman
08-21-2011, 06:15 PM
they can have Orton or Tebow instead.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-21-2011, 06:26 PM
Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay’s tweets about the quarterback situation are making fans a little nervous. Is he really suggesting Peyton Manning could miss the opener?

Here’s something for Colts fans to keep in mind: Most of the time, Irsay uses Twitter as his stream-of-consciousness remarks about anything and everything. He tweets rock lyrics. He gives away prizes for trivia answers. He generally comes off as a friendly if eccentric guy who just tweets whatever pops in his head.

Yes, he’s the Colts owner. No, you cannot take his tweets as the carefully considered ruminations on the short-term prognosis for Manning.

rest of article - http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/columnists/view/20110821dont_read_too_much_into_colts_owners_tweet s_about_peyton_manning/srvc=sports&position=recent_bullet

hamrob
08-21-2011, 07:00 PM
I wouldn't trade quinn for a bag of chips.

The kid was a blue chip prospect taken in the first round of the NFL draft, who is finally showing what he's made of.

Although I'm a Tebow supporter, I like Quinn as well. I say we stay the course this year and let Quinn compete with Tebow next year.

Lancane
08-21-2011, 07:37 PM
That's not a problem at all. This is more about Manning not being ready and the Colts not being confident in their backups.

True...but couldn't we talk them into taking Tebow instead? :lol:

Or as Thnik said, Orton?

Tned
08-21-2011, 07:48 PM
I wouldn't trade quinn for a bag of chips.

The kid was a blue chip prospect taken in the first round of the NFL draft, who is finally showing what he's made of.

Although I'm a Tebow supporter, I like Quinn as well. I say we stay the course this year and let Quinn compete with Tebow next year.

That requires resigning Quinn as a free agent in the off season.

bcbronc
08-21-2011, 08:03 PM
Some were excited, but more based on his "first round" tag than his performance in Cleveland.

As to beating out Orton, I don't see him beating out Orton between now and Week 1, and I don't see any chance that Quinn and Orton are both resigned next year (very possibly neither, but not both).

Its also unlikely Orton plays all 16 games, going by his career to date.

Only way I move either is for a significant over pay. I don't see Indy being willing to give up a roster player that helps us so it would have to be for a draft pick. At this point I wouldn't move Quin n or Orton for less than a 1st, and that doesn't make sense for indy (and looking at the other names I'd say Indy is offering a mid round pick).

Tned
08-21-2011, 08:05 PM

Only way I move either is for a significant over pay. I don't see Indy being willing to give up a roster player that helps us so it would have to be for a draft pick. At this point I wouldn't move Quin n or Orton for less than a 1st, and that doesn't make sense for indy (and looking at the other names I'd say Indy is offering a mid round pick).

No team would give a first for any of our quarterbacks.

broncobryce
08-21-2011, 08:15 PM

Truth. Quinn is still inconsistent at best. I'd much rather get rid of ceiling at my feet orton for a second or third. Or a turd for that matter.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Lancane
08-21-2011, 08:18 PM

BC, none of our quarterbacks are worth a first, Orton is barely worth second, Tebow's overall value at this point is around a second round pick and Quinn is improved but his worth is even a little bit less then the other two.

bcbronc
08-21-2011, 10:35 PM

BC, none of our quarterbacks are worth a first, Orton is barely worth second, Tebow's overall value at this point is around a second round pick and Quinn is improved but his worth is even a little bit less then the other two.

exactly. They're all more valuable to us as roster players than as tradeable assets unless someone panics and over-pays.

Lancane
08-21-2011, 10:42 PM
exactly. They're all more valuable to us as roster players than as tradeable assets unless someone panics and over-pays.

I don't feel they're more valuable, let's just say for instance that Denver is not sold on any of the three as the future (which I already believe), but every pick in the upcoming draft could be used to add those who they feel are...do they still forgo adding a pick because someone wanted someone they value temporarily but not beyond the season?

Would Denver not accept a third round pick for Quinn? A second round pick for Orton or even a second round pick for Tebow? I ask this because maybe some of us tend to value them more then the team does or maybe less then they do, but the real question in all of this is do you feel the front office would turn down any such trade?

BroncoStud
08-21-2011, 11:03 PM

Orton apparently isn't worth much because no one wants him but a few of the Denver fans and some idiot fans in Miami. The Dolphins front office clearly doesn't feel he is much if any of an upgrade over Chad Henne.

I actually think Quinn might have the most trade value right now of ANY of our QBs.

NorCalBronco7
08-21-2011, 11:13 PM
Orton apparently isn't worth much because no one wants him but a few of the Denver fans and some idiot fans in Miami. The Dolphins front office clearly doesn't feel he is much if any of an upgrade over Chad Henne.

I actually think Quinn might have the most trade value right now of ANY of our QBs.

LMAO so Quinn has a couple decent preseason games and now hes valuable?!?!?!?

Quinn is a bust in every definition of the word. Get a clue.

bcbronc
08-21-2011, 11:17 PM
I don't feel they're more valuable, let's just say for instance that Denver is not sold on any of the three as the future (which I already believe), but every pick in the upcoming draft could be used to add those who they feel are...do they still forgo adding a pick because someone wanted someone they value temporarily but not beyond the season?

Would Denver not accept a third round pick for Quinn? A second round pick for Orton or even a second round pick for Tebow? I ask this because maybe some of us tend to value them more then the team does or maybe less then they do, but the real question in all of this is do you feel the front office would turn down any such trade?

you only dump one of our Qbs for a 2nd or 3rd rounder if you're willing to throw the season away. Okay, maybe Tebow if Elway and Fox think there's no chance, but even that doesn't make sense considering what we gave up for him and that he can produce TDs off limited touches.

Orton and Quinn are the starter and back-up. Orton never stays healthy the entire season so having a back-up that can fill in for 2-3 game stretches is important. Tebow can't, and certainly isn't ready if Orton goes out long term.

Maybe Quinn beats out Orton and you can dump Orton for any return, but then you're back to having Tebow as the back-up. If you're only going to get a mid round pick, might as well use them for the season, see if you can at least get the kids some experience playing games that still matter in WKs 16, 17 and hope for a decent compensatory pick after they leave as UFAs.

BroncoStud
08-21-2011, 11:20 PM
LMAO so Quinn has a couple decent preseason games and now hes valuable?!?!?!?

Quinn is a bust in every definition of the word. Get a clue.

Quinn is younger and has more upside, plus he has shown quite well this camp and Preseason, and many that have witnessed have said he is essentially on the same level as Orton in comfort, yet has superior physical skills in pretty much every way.

Quinn is increasing his value every day he practices and plays the way he does. Orton is probably worth a 4th, Quinn and Tebow, it's hard to argue that they aren't worth somewhere around that, Quinn has more upside than Orton.

NorCalBronco7
08-21-2011, 11:30 PM
Quinn is younger and has more upside, plus he has shown quite well this camp and Preseason, and many that have witnessed have said he is essentially on the same level as Orton in comfort, yet has superior physical skills in pretty much every way.

Quinn is increasing his value every day he practices and plays the way he does. Orton is probably worth a 4th, Quinn and Tebow, it's hard to argue that they aren't worth somewhere around that, Quinn has more upside than Orton.

I cant say I ever see the day any fan would defend Quinn. Seriously funny stuff.

Quinn has more upside than Orton?????? Quinn has about the same arm strength as Orton but has never been accurate. He doesnt move well in the pocket. Quinn has very minimal value in the NFL. Hes a bust and is worthless imho. Ok, so hes done good in TC and preseason........who gives a shit!

BroncoStud
08-21-2011, 11:38 PM
I cant say I ever see the day any fan would defend Quinn. Seriously funny stuff.

Quinn has more upside than Orton?????? Quinn has about the same arm strength as Orton but has never been accurate. He doesnt move well in the pocket. Quinn has very minimal value in the NFL. Hes a bust and is worthless imho. Ok, so hes done good in TC and preseason........who gives a shit!

Who would give a shit that he is playing well? Oh I don't know, maybe an NFL front office? So you hate Brady Quinn, great, good for you. :laugh:

It still doesn't change the fact that a player is only worth what a team is willing to give for him. Orton didn't even sniff interest outside of Miami as evidenced by Seattling signing Tavaris Jackson :lol:, Tennessee opting for Hasselbeck :lol:, Washington rolling with John Beck :lol:, and Miami sticking with Henne after refusing to give Kyle a long-term deal :lol:.

Once again, a product is ONLY worth what someone is willing to pay for it. The results are in, no one is buying what Orton is selling. Quinn still has enough mystery to his game to warrant interest, and I would be willing to bet he is either AS valuable or close to as valuable on the market as Orton is because he has shown better character and has more physical upside.

NorCalBronco7
08-21-2011, 11:42 PM
Who would give a shit that he is playing well? Oh I don't know, maybe an NFL front office? So you hate Brady Quinn, great, good for you. :laugh:

It still doesn't change the fact that a player is only worth what a team is willing to give for him. Orton didn't even sniff interest outside of Miami as evidenced by Seattling signing Tavaris Jackson :lol:, Tennessee opting for Hasselbeck :lol:, Washington rolling with John Beck :lol:, and Miami sticking with Henne after refusing to give Kyle a long-term deal :lol:.

Once again, a product is ONLY worth what someone is willing to pay for it. The results are in, no one is buying what Orton is selling. Quinn still has enough mystery to his game to warrant interest, and I would be willing to bet he is either AS valuable or close to as valuable on the market as Orton is because he has shown better character and has more physical upside.

LMAO Brandy ******* Quinn. The intelligence of this board is at an all time low.

BroncoJoe
08-21-2011, 11:54 PM
LMAO Brandy ******* Quinn. The intelligence of this board is at an all time low.

And clearly your comments help elevate it.

:coffee:

BroncoStud
08-21-2011, 11:55 PM

Perhaps you should start posting something intelligent to help raise it then. :laugh:

:welcome:

Lancane
08-22-2011, 12:06 AM

How is it seriously funny? Because you don't believe it? Is it plausible that others value him above what your opinion is of him? Several well-respected analysts and journalists have reported that Quinn has been sharp since camp started and turning a lot of heads, he even sought out one of the better personal coaches to help him develop better and some believe that it's showing in his play.

And need I remind people that Quinn was a consensus first round pick, whereas Orton was a fourth round pick. There is a reason that people didn't see Orton as much of anything besides a backup quarterback at the pro level, Quinn was favored as a possible franchise capable quarterback by almost every scouting service you can name. Are they comparable? I believe so, the one major difference is their overall drive to succeed and win, something that most would agree Quinn has and Orton does not, there are other variables. But as I stated earlier, every team that Orton has been part of has wanted to eventually trade him, every organization he's come to at this level felt he was nothing more then a stop-gap or backup. Quinn's story is rather different, especially when you look at the inept coaching staff he had to deal with.

So I would say that all of what you stated is based on your opinion and not any factual evidence. The first year that either one was a starter, Quinn actually had a slightly better completion rating overall, so I would say that indeed they are very comparable...it's Quinn's upside that makes him an interesting prospect to other teams and to the majority of Denver fans not excited or supportive of Orton.

jhildebrand
08-22-2011, 12:08 AM
NO QB should be off limits from a trade if EFX feel our QB of the future isn't on the roster now.

jhildebrand
08-22-2011, 12:09 AM
Quinn has about the same arm strength as Orton

:confused:

Are you serious? :confused:

He doesnt move well in the pocket.

Re-watch the 1 play where Dareus actually got pressure and what happened to Orton.

Lancane
08-22-2011, 12:14 AM
you only dump one of our Qbs for a 2nd or 3rd rounder if you're willing to throw the season away. Okay, maybe Tebow if Elway and Fox think there's no chance, but even that doesn't make sense considering what we gave up for him and that he can produce TDs off limited touches.

Orton and Quinn are the starter and back-up. Orton never stays healthy the entire season so having a back-up that can fill in for 2-3 game stretches is important. Tebow can't, and certainly isn't ready if Orton goes out long term.

Maybe Quinn beats out Orton and you can dump Orton for any return, but then you're back to having Tebow as the back-up. If you're only going to get a mid round pick, might as well use them for the season, see if you can at least get the kids some experience playing games that still matter in WKs 16, 17 and hope for a decent compensatory pick after they leave as UFAs.

Whoa...I am not saying to have a 'Blue-Light' special on quarterbacks, but losing one when there value may be far less to the organization then to the fans is quite probable should another organization be interested. We're going to lose Orton and Quinn after the season anyways and I don't see either returning, Quinn wants to compete and the fans would literally start lynching people if they re-signed Orton. So trading either of them has some gain whereas keeping both equals more then just possible losses on the football field. And as for Tebow, if someone showed interest and they didn't feel he had a future in Denver...I don't see them hesitating as long as they feel the deal benefited the organization in whole.

jhildebrand
08-22-2011, 12:16 AM
With the holes this team still has, there can be no sacred cows....not even one Brady Quinn :eek:

(what a cruel twist of fate that some would even consider Quinn untouchable at this point :tsk:)

Canmore
08-22-2011, 12:17 AM
NO QB should be off limits from a trade if EFX feel our QB of the future isn't on the roster now.

Agreed. If the quarterback of the future is not on this team rightnow in EFX's opinion then no one should be off the trading block if a deal comes up. If someone wants to make a decent deal for anyone of them, then pull the trigger. I think that our next franchise quarterback is playing college ball somewhere this season and EFX isn't enamored with any of the current group.

Davii
08-22-2011, 12:18 AM
If you're only going to get a mid round pick, might as well use them for the season, see if you can at least get the kids some experience playing games that still matter in WKs 16, 17 and hope for a decent compensatory pick after they leave as UFAs.

I don't think you get any compensation for unrestricted free agents walking, only restricted free agents. I do believe both Orton and Quinn can go play where they want next year, provided that team wants them of course.

NorCalBronco7
08-22-2011, 02:12 AM
How is it seriously funny? Because you don't believe it? Is it plausible that others value him above what your opinion is of him? Several well-respected analysts and journalists have reported that Quinn has been sharp since camp started and turning a lot of heads, he even sought out one of the better personal coaches to help him develop better and some believe that it's showing in his play.

And need I remind people that Quinn was a consensus first round pick, whereas Orton was a fourth round pick. There is a reason that people didn't see Orton as much of anything besides a backup quarterback at the pro level, Quinn was favored as a possible franchise capable quarterback by almost every scouting service you can name. Are they comparable? I believe so, the one major difference is their overall drive to succeed and win, something that most would agree Quinn has and Orton does not, there are other variables. But as I stated earlier, every team that Orton has been part of has wanted to eventually trade him, every organization he's come to at this level felt he was nothing more then a stop-gap or backup. Quinn's story is rather different, especially when you look at the inept coaching staff he had to deal with.

So I would say that all of what you stated is based on your opinion and not any factual evidence. The first year that either one was a starter, Quinn actually had a slightly better completion rating overall, so I would say that indeed they are very comparable...it's Quinn's upside that makes him an interesting prospect to other teams and to the majority of Denver fans not excited or supportive of Orton.

Orton and Quinn are not comparable in any sense....at all. Orton has actaully produced in his NFL career.....Quinn simply hasnt......ever. Quinn cant be compared to any capble NFL starter. But you guys will, at my amusement.

Keep making excuses for why Quinn hasnt produced, thats fine. Ill take that. But to say Quinn is more sought after Qb, or more valuable than Orton, is one of the dumbest things Ive ever read on this forum.

:confused:

Are you serious? :confused:

Re-watch the 1 play where Dareus actually got pressure and what happened to Orton.

Uhhhhh, yeah...Im dead serious. Quinn has an average arm, and its plain as day to see. Hes at best a game manager, like Orton already is. Look at every scouting report and it will agree with me.....

I agree with you, Orton doesnt have good pocket awareness. What do you know.... I dont like the fact Orton is the Qb for my Broncos too, so you guys can save the trash talk about me being his fan. But guess what, hes the best we got. So make cases for Tebow and Quinn to wiggle there way into the starting job without actually EARNING IT, but nobody in there right mind will buy it.

Lancane
08-22-2011, 02:33 AM
Orton and Quinn are not comparable in any sense....at all. Orton has actaully produced in his NFL career.....Quinn simply hasnt......ever. Quinn cant be compared to any capble NFL starter. But you guys will, at my amusement.

Keep making excuses for why Quinn hasnt produced, thats fine. Ill take that. But to say Quinn is more sought after Qb, or more valuable than Orton, is one of the dumbest things Ive ever read on this forum.

Wow, someone forgot to take their prozac!

Orton is lucky he has a fan like you, he really is...

Back to topic without the little childish rants about how one's worth is measured by a lowly fan.

FanInAZ
08-22-2011, 06:08 AM
Rumors are so much fun, especially when you don't ask if take the time to consider if what the rumor purposes is even logical. So let's look at the Colts QB situation. Their #1 QB, Payton Manning, has had Favre like durability for his entire 13 year career. He's been to the Pro Bowl 9 years running and 11 of the past 12. There’s no reason to doubt at this point that if he wanted to play another 7 years so he could erase Favre’s name from the record books, the Colts would be more than happy to let him do it.

The Colts are so confident that his career won't be ending anytime soon that they've never bother to bring in a backup QB capable of doing more than reading the clip board and guarding the water jug. If there was a possibility that Payton's current injury had the potential to cause him to miss a significant portion of the season, then they probably would have already talked someone into coming out of retirement for this one season. This leads me to conclude that Payton will probably miss less than 4 games, if any at all.

If this is the case, why in the world would they give up any draft picks to anyone for anyone? If the Colts actually do give up draft picks, then that would suggest to me Payton's injury is career threating. From what I'm hearing, his injury isn't near that serious and therefore any and all rumors about the Colts trade draft picks are absurd.

zbeg
08-22-2011, 07:04 AM

You realize that the cost for a team to get Orton was more than just signing him to a free agent contract and would have to give up substantial assets like a draft pick to acquire him? That by virtue of being on an an NFL roster and being the best quarterback on that roster that a team isn't just going to give him up unlike the guys you just named?

Put simply: if the cost to acquire any of those guys was a 2nd or 3rd round pick, nobody would have willing to pay that price, either. As is, we don't know how many teams considered Orton, then found the draft pick to be a sticking point (other than Miami, of course).

Npba900
08-22-2011, 07:22 AM
They can't have our starter! How bout we send em Orton instead?

Hell lets give them Tebow and a box of donuts for free! I'm sure Manning wouldn't mind mentoring Timmy! :D

TXBRONC
08-22-2011, 08:33 AM
Hard to say it would be a mistake to let him go. He is still a work in progress and hasnt proven anything beyond 2nd and 3rd stringers. I think people are giving him WAY too much credit right now. Indy (if true) is just looking for a backup to fill in until Peyton is ready.

Agreed. If the Colts are indeed looking for a back up quarterback they won't offer up much.

SpringsBroncoFan
08-22-2011, 08:35 AM
Rumors are so much fun, especially when you don't ask if take the time to consider if what the rumor purposes is even logical. So let's look at the Colts QB situation. Their #1 QB, Payton Manning, has had Favre like durability for his entire 13 year career. He's been to the Pro Bowl 9 years running and 11 of the past 12. There’s no reason to doubt at this point that if he wanted to play another 7 years so he could erase Favre’s name from the record books, the Colts would be more than happy to let him do it.

The Colts are so confident that his career won't be ending anytime soon that they've never bother to bring in a backup QB capable of doing more than reading the clip board and guarding the water jug. If there was a possibility that Payton's current injury had the potential to cause him to miss a significant portion of the season, then they probably would have already talked someone into coming out of retirement for this one season. This leads me to conclude that Payton will probably miss less than 4 games, if any at all.

If this is the case, why in the world would they give up any draft picks to anyone for anyone? If the Colts actually do give up draft picks, then that would suggest to me Payton's injury is career threating. From what I'm hearing, his injury isn't near that serious and therefore any and all rumors about the Colts trade draft picks are absurd.

Killjoy! Yes, rumors are fun but then you go kill the fun in the last sentence! :lol:

On another note, why is it that when everyone rants about other teams not being willing to pay for Orton they conveniently omit any discussion of his salary being way too much... :confused:

BroncoStud
08-22-2011, 08:47 AM
You realize that the cost for a team to get Orton was more than just signing him to a free agent contract and would have to give up substantial assets like a draft pick to acquire him? That by virtue of being on an an NFL roster and being the best quarterback on that roster that a team isn't just going to give him up unlike the guys you just named?

Put simply: if the cost to acquire any of those guys was a 2nd or 3rd round pick, nobody would have willing to pay that price, either. As is, we don't know how many teams considered Orton, then found the draft pick to be a sticking point (other than Miami, of course).

Kevin Kolb was traded to Arizona for a 2nd round pick AND Rogers-Cromartie, then given a $63 MILLION contract. Tavaris Jackson got paid well to go to Seattle.

Arizona then let it be known that the reason they didn't pursue Orton was not because of his pricetag, which would be considerably less than Kolb's, but his poor rating on 3rd down and in the redzone, which showed them he had limited arm strength.

I don't think it's far-fetched AT ALL to believe that Quinn is building himself value in this league, he is a former 1st rounder who is playing very well.

Tned
08-22-2011, 08:54 AM
I don't think you get any compensation for unrestricted free agents walking, only restricted free agents. I do believe both Orton and Quinn can go play where they want next year, provided that team wants them of course.

I don't know how they determine it, but assuming it hasn't changed with the new CBA, teams do get compensation for losing free agents. Supposedly, it looks out free agents you've lost and free agents you've signed and if you were a net loser, you can get one or more compensatory picks. I know the Broncos have received like 3rd picks or something like that in the past.

These compensatory picks are different than the picks associated with making tender offers to restricted free agents.

BigDaddyBronco
08-22-2011, 09:51 AM
I think this team has three QB';s who can play at the pro level. They all have issues and things they need to work on, but they all can play and I'll even say win with this team.

Now the prospects of a 4-12 or 6-10 season are very real. Heck we are only an injury or two away from having to use our 2nd stringers and being in trouble in many positions. Realistically, we are a season or two away from being competitive, so if they can get anything for Quinn it makes sense to trade him. Tebow can back up Orton just fine, we saw it last year and we know he is a better game QB than a practice QB. If the Oline and running game are solid, Orton should be fine as well. If he doesn't have to rely on making 3rd and long plays or using his feet to escape or keep plays alive, he will be serviceable.

People need to let go of their hate and look at what these guys can do well instead of focusing on their short comings. You do that if you have a playoff team and want to make the next step, not when you are just trying to be a .500 team.

Npba900
08-22-2011, 10:09 AM

Uhhhhh, yeah...Im dead serious. Quinn has an average arm, and its plain as day to see. Hes at best a game manager, like Orton already is. Look at every scouting report and it will agree with me.....

I agree with you, Orton doesnt have good pocket awareness. What do you know.... I dont like the fact Orton is the Qb for my Broncos too, so you guys can save the trash talk about me being his fan. But guess what, hes the best we got. So make cases for Tebow and Quinn to wiggle there way into the starting job without actually EARNING IT, but nobody in there right mind will buy it.

There is a great chance that Quinn will get his chances this season due to Orton's propensity to getting nicked up and often injured. Should Quinn prove he can or cannot produce then his stock/trade will increase or decrease as well.

Now should Orton and Quinn both become injured.......then Tebow will get his chance to improve as well.

Right now we can all agree that Orton, Quinn, and Tebow are not the long-term solutions at QB for Denver.

TXBRONC
08-22-2011, 10:10 AM

I don't know Cane. We asked for a 2nd round pick for Orton and no one wanted to give us that.

Thnikkaman
08-22-2011, 10:15 AM
poopy

Lancane
08-22-2011, 10:17 AM
I don't know Cane. We asked for a 2nd round pick for Orton and no one wanted to give us that.

Just goes to show the level of intelligence has grown in the league! :lol:

And Oakland is clamoring for our backups and not Orton, they're nearly begging that Davis tries to trade for either Tebow or Quinn.

Everyone else went with broke-down well over the hill quarterbacks, unknowns or young failures over Orton.

Chicago wanted him gone, McDaniels wanted him gone, the majority of the fanbase wants him gone and only Miami wanted him but not for what he wanted. There must be something seriously wrong for him to be so devalued around the NFL?

Agent of Orange
08-22-2011, 10:36 AM

How do we know that's what happened? For all we know, our inexperienced front office was duped by Miami into focusing only on Miami. It's possible Miami overstated their interest to get Denver involved in talks and then dragged out the discussions until all the other teams had acquired QBs leaving Denver with less leverage, at which point, Miami was going to try to lowball Denver's inexperienced front office.

Dirk
08-22-2011, 11:40 AM
Just goes to show the level of intelligence has grown in the league! :lol:

And Oakland is clamoring for our backups and not Orton, they're nearly begging that Davis tries to trade for either Tebow or Quinn.

Everyone else went with broke-down well over the hill quarterbacks, unknowns or young failures over Orton.

Chicago wanted him gone, McDaniels wanted him gone, the majority of the fanbase wants him gone and only Miami wanted him but not for what he wanted. There must be something seriously wrong for him to be so devalued around the NFL?

It's the rezone that scares off potential suitors. :coffee:

Lancane
08-22-2011, 11:45 AM
It's the rezone that scares off potential suitors. :coffee:

I think it's more than that Dirk, it's almost as though they know he's got a piss poor attitude and not as good as he or his agent thinks he is.

:lol:

TXBRONC
08-22-2011, 12:12 PM
How do we know that's what happened? For all we know, our inexperienced front office was duped by Miami into focusing only on Miami. It's possible Miami overstated their interest to get Denver involved in talks and then dragged out the discussions until all the other teams had acquired QBs leaving Denver with less leverage, at which point, Miami was going to try to lowball Denver's inexperienced front office.

Duped? I don't think so. Fox has been head coach for nearly ten years and Xanders has been involved in the front office for about 12 years. Elway is new to working in front office of the NFL but he does have experience through Arena League.

As far as Miami dragging things out so that other teams would lose interest doesn't with what we know. What teams are you talking about? It couldn't be the Cardinals or the Vikings they had their minds set on other quarterbacks from the very beginning. The Redskins said they were going to stand pat. The Titans drafted a quarterback and brought in a free agent. Seahawk like the Titans went free agent route.

NorCalBronco7
08-22-2011, 12:35 PM
There is a great chance that Quinn will get his chances this season due to Orton's propensity to getting nicked up and often injured. Should Quinn prove he can or cannot produce then his stock/trade will increase or decrease as well.

Now should Orton and Quinn both become injured.......then Tebow will get his chance to improve as well.

Right now we can all agree that Orton, Quinn, and Tebow are not the long-term solutions at QB for Denver.

Orton and Quinn.... absolutely. They will never be franchise Qbs. Tebow definitely could be, but I doubt it.

BTW Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc. studied Quinn’s play Saturday night and he thought Quinn made strides. He looked at the way Quinn has improved in getting rid of the ball faster. Williamson isn’t ready to say Quinn is ready to be a star, but there are improvements and he can see why he is ahead of Tebow.

“Overall, I would say that he is an improved quarterback from his days in Cleveland,” Williamson said. “I didn’t see any wow throws though. He looks like a promising No. 2 quarterback without a lot of starter potential.”

Tned
08-22-2011, 12:38 PM
“Overall, I would say that he is an improved quarterback from his days in Cleveland,” Williamson said. “I didn’t see any wow throws though. He looks like a promising No. 2 quarterback without a lot of starter potential.”

I agree with this statement, which is why I don't understand why so many people have jumped on to Quinn's bandwagon after Saturday's game. Our bar has really dropped, when him not being awful is seen as being starter material.

Mike
08-22-2011, 12:39 PM
Duped? I don't think so. Fox has been head coach for nearly ten years and Xanders has been involved in the front office for about 12 years. Elway is new to working in front office of the NFL but he does have experience through Arena League.

As far as Miami dragging things out so that other teams would lose interest doesn't with what we know. What teams are you talking about? It couldn't be the Cardinals or the Vikings they had their minds set on other quarterbacks from the very beginning. The Redskins said they were going to stand pat. The Titans drafted a quarterback and brought in a free agent. Seahawk like the Titans went free agent route.

You lose cool points for arguing on behalf of Xanders. :2thumbsdown:

;)

MOtorboat
08-22-2011, 12:42 PM
I agree with this statement, which is why I don't understand why so many people have jumped on to Quinn's bandwagon after Saturday's game. Our bar has really dropped, when him not being awful is seen as being starter material.

Ahem.

I know of at least three posters who were on the bandwagon before the first game...

NorCalBronco7
08-22-2011, 12:46 PM

lol yup. I dont understand it either.

And your right, its not like Quinn has been anything better than average recently.

vettesplus
08-22-2011, 02:20 PM
so my ?? to you is if we were to trade quinn, who would back up orton.....:confused:

Lancane
08-22-2011, 02:33 PM
so my ?? to you is if we were to trade quinn, who would back up orton.....:confused:

Webber! :lol:

CoachChaz
08-22-2011, 02:40 PM

Ahem.

I know of at least three posters who were on the bandwagon before the first game...

And none of us are saying hes a Pro Bowl QB...just that we'd like to see what he can do on a decent team with a decent OL and weapons other than a decent TE.

Northman
08-22-2011, 02:43 PM
And none of us are saying hes a Pro Bowl QB...just that we'd like to see what he can do on a decent team with a decent OL and weapons other than a decent TE.

Well shit, i can say that about a lot of QB's. :lol:

LTC Pain
08-22-2011, 03:09 PM
I'd take a 4th round pick or the #3 DT on the Colts depth chart for Quinn right now. And I don't see how trading Quinn would be a major determining factor in the success or failure of the Broncos this season.

dogfish
08-22-2011, 06:32 PM
come on indy, step it up! a ham sammich'll get this thing done. . .

bcbronc
08-22-2011, 08:10 PM
Whoa...I am not saying to have a 'Blue-Light' special on quarterbacks, but losing one when there value may be far less to the organization then to the fans is quite probable should another organization be interested. We're going to lose Orton and Quinn after the season anyways and I don't see either returning, Quinn wants to compete and the fans would literally start lynching people if they re-signed Orton. So trading either of them has some gain whereas keeping both equals more then just possible losses on the football field. And as for Tebow, if someone showed interest and they didn't feel he had a future in Denver...I don't see them hesitating as long as they feel the deal benefited the organization in whole.

I do in general agree with this philosophy, but in this particular situation it all boils down to how optimistic you feel going into the season.

If you're expecting another 3-5 win season, absolutely it makes sense to get any return you can for a QB that's likely to walk in the offseason as a UFA.

But if you have some optimism going into this season--as I do--then keeping two QBs, one of which is Tebow the other likely to be Orton who is fragile, then you're throwing in the towel before the season has even begun. How do you tell Champ and Doom and Dawk that a 3rd or 4th round pick next draft is more valuable than this season?

There's also the benefit of playing 16 meaningful games in a season. Even if we fall short of the playoffs, if we can have games in the stretch still count for something, that's going to benefit the young guys on our roster who we're hoping will be the core that brings us our next Superbowl. I'd rather see our young OL, young safeties, Vaughn, Von, Irving, Moreno etc experience a playoff race than get a 3rd for Quinn, having Orton get hurt in WK5 and then have our young guys experience another lost season. Sure, we'd have that extra 3rd and better draft position, but there's something to be said for not exposing your young players to too much losing. Especially when there's always the chance of getting that 3rd rounder through compensation picks anyway.

Tebow is a different situation. One, he's not a UFA, so we don't lose anything by keeping him. Two, imo he can make plays on the field, even if he'll probably never be a #1 Qb. So with Tebow, the calculation becomes do you get more out of him as a Wildcat/Goalline X-factor or in return from a trade? It's possible other factors weigh in--EFX not wanting the fan distraction, or feeling all that will happen with Tebow is he'll continue to lose value for a couple of years before retiring due to a major concussion. If EFX don't see TT in their plans, sure trade him now. But I agree his value is going to be pretty low and so I think we're better off keeping him and using him in specific situations.

Dzone
08-22-2011, 08:13 PM
Tell Indy they can have Dick but not Brady

chazoe60
08-22-2011, 08:18 PM
Tell Indy they can have Dick but not Brady

Don't call Orton a dick.

J/k call him whatever you want, just don't call him extended.

Tned
08-22-2011, 08:21 PM
Ahem.

I can respect that, but not jumping on the wagon after a couple so/so preseason games.

TXBRONC
08-22-2011, 08:35 PM
You lose cool points for arguing on behalf of Xanders. :2thumbsdown:

;)

So bit it.

Sorry to disappoint you Mike.

TXBRONC
08-22-2011, 08:38 PM
come on indy, step it up! a ham sammich'll get this thing done. . .

Ham is a deal breaker Hop. Nothing less than pastrami and swiss will get this deal done.

MOtorboat
08-22-2011, 08:42 PM
Ham is a deal breaker Hop. Nothing less than pastrami and swiss will get this deal done.

Bullshit. There better damn well be some capicola involved.

dogfish
08-22-2011, 08:43 PM

quinn's not worth pastrami, but i do appreciate your aggressive approach. . . don't worry, though-- i wouldn't just give him away for nothing. . . i would insist that the sammich have spicy mustard and be sliced diagonally. . . .

dogfish
08-22-2011, 08:44 PM
Bullshit. There better damn well be some capicola involved.

we're trading quinn, not orton. . . . :listen:

TXBRONC
08-22-2011, 08:46 PM
quinn's not worth pastrami, but i do appreciate your aggressive approach. . . don't worry, though-- i wouldn't just give him away for nothing. . . i would insist that the sammich have spicy mustard and be sliced diagonally. . . .

But settling for a ham sammich is like settling for the last pick in the draft irrelevant.

BroncoStud
08-23-2011, 01:24 AM
So bit it.

Sorry to disappoint you Mike.

Xanders / golfball / gardenhose / keep job

vandammage13
08-23-2011, 07:44 AM
I'd take a 4th round pick or the #3 DT on the Colts depth chart for Quinn right now. And I don't see how trading Quinn would be a major determining factor in the success or failure of the Broncos this season.

Didn't you know that Brady Quinn is untouchable?