PDA

View Full Version : Putting things in perspective.

BroncoWave
08-20-2011, 11:48 PM
To everyone who is saying "oh it was just Buffalo tonight, they suck, we should beat them like that", remember that we picked AHEAD of them in the draft this season. The fact that our starters smacked theirs around on both sides of the ball tonight shows that we are definitely an improved team from last season. How improved remains to be seen, but I think the people who are expecting us to draft Luck or Barkley are sadly mistaken. Unless we get ravaged by injuries, we will not be that bad in my opinion.

Northman
08-20-2011, 11:50 PM
Maybe, but never put a lot a stock in preseason no matter if your the Detroit Lions or the Indy Colts. But, i do agree we have much better coaching than the Buffalo Bills and that will probably make the most difference this year if anything. Well, and the fact that we have McGahee. :)

Lancane
08-20-2011, 11:51 PM
To everyone who is saying "oh it was just Buffalo tonight, they suck, we should beat them like that", remember that we picked AHEAD of them in the draft this season. The fact that our starters smacked theirs around on both sides of the ball tonight shows that we are definitely an improved team from last season. How improved remains to be seen, but I think the people who are expecting us to draft Luck or Barkley are sadly mistaken. Unless we get ravaged by injuries, we will not be that bad in my opinion.

That still leaves Jones and Lindley, happy ranting! :lol:

camdisco24
08-20-2011, 11:53 PM
Yeah, I saw some pretty positive things from our starters tonight. D looks like it starting to gel, and offense is starting to clear the dust. The running game was my favorite tonight. Very good things, but lots to work on still. Gives me hope though.

BroncoWave
08-20-2011, 11:58 PM
Maybe, but never put a lot a stock in preseason no matter if your the Detroit Lions or the Indy Colts. But, i do agree we have much better coaching than the Buffalo Bills and that will probably make the most difference this year if anything. Well, and the fact that we have McGahee. :)

I think we've slightly improved mostly across the board. Better o-line with Frankiln and the extra experience for all the young guys, better TEs, MUCH better running game seemingly, MUCH better pass rush adding Dume and Von, better D line and more depth in the secondary. And most importantly like you said, better coaching. Assuming we stay healthy, I don't think something like 8-9 wins is out of the question.

Northman
08-20-2011, 11:59 PM
I think we've slightly improved mostly across the board. Better o-line with Frankiln and the extra experience for all the young guys, better TEs, MUCH better running game seemingly, MUCH better pass rush adding Dume and Von, better D line and more depth in the secondary. And most importantly like you said, better coaching. Assuming we stay healthy, I don't think something like 8-9 wins is out of the question.

We can only hope so. It sure would be an upgrade from last year.

Lancane
08-21-2011, 12:00 AM

Wouldn't five wins be an upgrade? :confused:

:lol:

BroncoWave
08-21-2011, 12:01 AM

If we just had a damn quarterback I think we would easily be a playoff contender this year.

Northman
08-21-2011, 12:04 AM
If we just had a damn quarterback I think we would easily be a playoff contender this year.

Are you offering your services? :D

BroncoWave
08-21-2011, 12:07 AM
Are you offering your services? :D

I don't think my 6'0 150 frame would hold up very well in the NFL! :lol:

Dzone
08-21-2011, 12:08 AM
Blown away by the play of Dumervil and Miller

Dzone
08-21-2011, 12:10 AM
Big O looked good when I watched him. I dont know if I have seen anything that big on a football field. Ryan Harris took one look at Franklin and said "holy shit, Im outta here!"

Lancane
08-21-2011, 12:15 AM
I don't think my 6'0 150 frame would hold up very well in the NFL! :lol:

Hey now, remember Wes Welker is pretty damn small! :smile:

Ziggy
08-21-2011, 12:22 AM

I's agree with this statement as it has to do with the starters. Our backups in most areas are still garbage. If this team gets hit by a slew of injuries, we'll be drafting very high again next year. The Broncos may set a record this season on how many waiver wire claims make the final 54.

BroncoWave
08-21-2011, 12:25 AM
I's agree with this statement as it has to do with the starters. Our backups in most areas are still garbage. If this team gets hit by a slew of injuries, we'll be drafting very high again next year. The Broncos may set a record this season on how many waiver wire claims make the final 54.

Well rebuilding a team doesn't happen in one season. I like the direction we are heading in though.

horsepig
08-21-2011, 12:33 AM

Our 2nd teamers have performed pretty Damn well in both games. This is a great indicatoer that this unit has some talent and depth. We get in trouble when we finish the games with the scrubbies.

I Eat Staples
08-21-2011, 12:37 AM

Agreed, I think we will be pretty bad, but not Luck or Barkley bad. We do have a tough schedule though.

I was quite impressed by the play of our starters. Orton looked good, and holding ANY NFL offense to 3 points in a half is a job well done.

Ziggy
08-21-2011, 12:51 AM
Our 2nd teamers have performed pretty Damn well in both games. This is a great indicatoer that this unit has some talent and depth. We get in trouble when we finish the games with the scrubbies.

You think that our 2nd team offensive line has performed well in both games? We must be watching different games then. Our 2nd team D line was also horrid tonight.

horsepig
08-21-2011, 12:59 AM
Geeze, Zig, do you think Quinn looked so good behind the #1 OL?

BroncoStud
08-21-2011, 01:12 AM
We're to the point as a fans of this franchise that ANY positive equals a promising season... :laugh:

Preseason is a tool for coaches to evaluate individual talent, nothing more, nothing less. It doesn't mean anything, ask the Lions. I think Denver will be better than last year but Kyle Orton isn't suddenly a great QB, the defense isn't suddenly GOOD, and Moreno isn't suddenly durable.

We're paperthin at a lot of positions with depth and it will probably become a major factor down the stretch, plus Buffalo isn't a very good football team.

That said, I think we're better than last year, certainly better prepared and coached, but I won't be crying like many when we lose 9-10 games. We have to play KC, Oakland, and SD 6 times this year and they are ALL better than us, that doesn't even include our brutal non-divisional schedule.

In case you guys missed it Chad Henne looked all world the against Carolina, is he suddenly a GOOD player now too? :laugh:

Dzone
08-21-2011, 01:46 AM
How about that Tebow slide?
Personally, I wish he had ran that guy over.

FanInAZ
08-21-2011, 02:55 AM
Maybe, but never put a lot a stock in preseason no matter if your the Detroit Lions or the Indy Colts.

I basically agree with you, but I would contend that there is a notable difference in playing a team like the Colts in preseason to playing the Lions. The Colts pretty much knew who at least 80%-90% of their starters were before any of them showed up to training camp; including whom their starting QB would be. Therefore, they give them just enough work during the preseason to get them in sync and then bench them before they get injured. There primary goal during the preseason is basically to develop depth.

Weaker team have a lot of holes to fill in their starting lineup and will play their 1st team longer in order to see who, if any, is actually good enough to be an NFL starter. Therefore, the talent level of the players that get the bulk of the playing time for the Colts might actually be inferior to the talent level of those who get the bulk of the playing time for other teams. That's why the Colts preseason record for the past 6 years is 4-22 (4-24 if you include the 1st 2 games of this preseason); while compiling a regular season record of 75-21, appearing in 2 SBs and winning 1.

So what’s my bottom line conclusions?
1) The Colts, who are one of the hardest teams to beat in games that count, is the easiest team to beat in games that don’t.
2) Looking good in the preseason against a team like the Colts is not nearly as impressive as looking good against a team like the Bills.

HORSEPOWER 56
08-21-2011, 07:31 AM
It's the preseason. The year that the Lions went 0-16, they were 4-0 in the preseason.

Orton and the starting offense looked very sharp last year in the preseason, too. We finished with the worst record in our history. The Eagles and Vick especially looked like the worst team in the league the other day. 3 INTs in 3 drives.

Preseason games can be fun to watch, but nothing could be more misleading as a barometer of future success/failure.

TXBRONC
08-21-2011, 08:15 AM
Overall our starters did look pretty good against their starters. That is something to start building hope but at the same time temper that with the fact it is still just a preseason game. Both teams were for the mostly vanilla in game plan.

MileHiWildcat
08-21-2011, 08:29 AM
They might as well get rid of Tebow now. This team has no vision. Tebow will win a Superbowl for a team with some cajones.

I Eat Staples
08-21-2011, 12:26 PM
They might as well get rid of Tebow now. This team has no vision. Tebow will win a Superbowl for a team with some cajones.

No he won't. Once he is no longer a Bronco I can laugh at him and his fans without throwing things at my TV.

cuzz4169
08-21-2011, 01:11 PM
One thing..sorry to all you Joe Mays lovers...he's not a starting mlb. I rewatched game and he takes bad angles and is a step behind when he has to go sideline to sideline. Good in the box but sideline to sideline no way. Hopefully one of the other 2 can step up. I really would like to see haggen step up. I would like to see more of Lee Robinson too.

Traveler
08-21-2011, 04:16 PM
OL is coming together with the exception of Beadles. Saw him get handled several times last night. If they are looking forward to adding more players from the waiver wire, LG is one position I hope they address.

HORSEPOWER 56
08-21-2011, 07:05 PM
One thing..sorry to all you Joe Mays lovers...he's not a starting mlb. I rewatched game and he takes bad angles and is a step behind when he has to go sideline to sideline. Good in the box but sideline to sideline no way. Hopefully one of the other 2 can step up. I really would like to see haggen step up. I would like to see more of Lee Robinson too.

We drafted Nate Irving for just that reason.