PDA

View Full Version : John Elway

BroncoJoe
08-20-2011, 09:00 AM
Anyone else living in the Denver area notice that the Elway car dealerships are back? Back in 2006, he officially ended his relationship with AutoNation and his name was removed from all the Colorado dealerships. Driving down Broadway yesterday, I noticed at least two dealers that all of the sudden are using his name.

Just thought it was interesting.

NOTE TO MODS - I didn't know where to post this, so feel free to move out of Broncos Talk if necessary.

BroncoJoe
08-20-2011, 09:19 AM
Guess I could have done a little research - this article was from back in May:

The legendary John Elway name will once again appear on the side of a metro-area car dealership starting Monday, when the Hall-of-Famer and his business partners take over ownership of Burt Chevrolet, 5200 S. Broadway, Englewood.

The ownership team — Mitch Pierce, Todd Maul and Elway — is expected to close on the sale Monday after submitting a letter of intent in February.

"I'm running (the business), but this is an investment for (Elway)," Maul said.

http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_17963666

Surprised this didn't get more local attention.

Dzone
08-20-2011, 09:23 AM
Hope this is part of Johns plan to acquire enough capital to buy the Broncos

BeefStew25
08-20-2011, 09:28 AM
Hope this is part of Johns plan to acquire enough capital to buy the Broncos

I think the same thing. And I think Bowlen would prefer to sell it to him. Or Ellis. Gag.

Tned
08-20-2011, 09:36 AM
Can he sell it to Elway, or does Kaiser's right of first refusal still come into play?

MOtorboat
08-20-2011, 09:54 AM
Elway doesn't even come close to having the capital to buy the team on his own. I think he'll be a figurehead for the ownership group that Bowlen eventually sells the team to.

BroncoStud
08-20-2011, 10:08 AM
It would take damn near $1 BILLION to buy the team you would think... That's a lot of money.

MOtorboat
08-20-2011, 10:13 AM
It would take damn near $1 BILLION to buy the team you would think... That's a lot of money.

Forbes set the Broncos worth at $1 billion in 2010. That list usually comes out around this time every year.

BeefStew25
08-20-2011, 10:38 AM
Forbes set the Broncos worth at $1 billion in 2010. That list usually comes out around this time every year.

Elway sold ho's first car group for around $80 million awhile back. He has some money working. He doesn't have to buy the entire team, just a controlling interest.

NightTrainLayne
08-20-2011, 11:15 AM
Elway sold ho's first car group for around $80 million awhile back. He has some money working. He doesn't have to buy the entire team, just a controlling interest.

Yep. . .just needs a down payment essentially.

BroncoJoe
08-20-2011, 11:37 AM

Nor does he need to pay "cash" for a team upfront.

Tned
08-20-2011, 11:55 AM

Didn't he lose like $20 million in a Madoff like ponzi scheme? I seem to remember reading something about that.

I have no idea how frugal he was or how well his other investments did.

Lancane
08-20-2011, 12:27 PM
Didn't he lose like $20 million in a Madoff like ponzi scheme? I seem to remember reading something about that.

I have no idea how frugal he was or how well his other investments did.

Well I am not sure I'd want Elway to own the Broncos to be quite honest. While he does invest his money in Colorado, when he is here...we should likewise remember that California was his home not long ago, he has a ton of capital investment ventures in Southern California including in several car dealerships after he sold all of his here in Colorado his business base was moved out there. He's also been one of the biggest advocates in getting an NFL team in Los Angeles over the past four years where I should not have to remind people that a new state of the art stadium was just approved to be built and they'll be needing a team! I like any other Bronco fan love Elway, but I also remember the disgust I felt when I heard that he wanted to be a part owner for a new L.A. based franchise. I'm sort of glad that there is a stipulation that Kaiser can stop the sell, and has first rights to the purchasing contract. I'd rather Kaiser or Kroenke own the Broncos out of piece of mind then Elway, but then again as I've said before if the Broncos moved, then Kroenke would move the Rams here to Denver.

chazoe60
08-20-2011, 12:46 PM
The Broncos wont ever move. You can't move a team with the second longest sellout streak in the NFL. It just won't happen, not in our lifetime.

BroncoJoe
08-20-2011, 12:49 PM
Sorry, but wanting Kaiser back instead of Elway is, well, I'll just let that statement speak for itself.

Lancane
08-20-2011, 01:21 PM
The Broncos wont ever move. You can't move a team with the second longest sellout streak in the NFL. It just won't happen, not in our lifetime.

Yes, I'm sure that San Diego and Minnesota fans have long said the same, now both are in serious contention of being moved. Also, we should note the same was said about Cleveland, who continually had a loyal fanbase and multiple sellout seasons and then suddenly they too were left wanting. ;)

Poet
08-20-2011, 01:27 PM
The Broncos won't move. The Saints owner tried to move and the outlash was so harsh that he shut that shit down.

In the modern day of t.v. licenses and revenue sharing, the standard "we aren't making enough money to stay here," thing is about dead.

Now if there's a spat over a stadium being built, that's a different story.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-20-2011, 01:32 PM
Any proposed move by an NFL team needs to be approved by all NFL owners.

Lancane
08-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Sorry, but wanting Kaiser back instead of Elway is, well, I'll just let that statement speak for itself.

Actually it doesn't speak for itself Joe, because your looking at Elway as nothing more then the cornerstone figurehead of the Broncos' Organization and not the savvy businessman that he is. As I said I love Elway as much as the next fan, but to think that any organization is untouchable or unchangeable is the most asinine thought one could have, especially in the wake of what were seeing across the league in regards to venues. Who really knows what Kaiser's reasoning was for the contract stipulation in regards to selling the team, though usually such stipulations are put in so that they to receive a portion of money in regards to the final sale or in most cases to keep a business within a specific area. And honestly I'd feel better about Elway owning the team over the likes of Kroenke and Kaiser if I knew his loyalties remained to the Colorado people, but Elway suddenly sold all his businesses, give his Steakhouses, which let's be honest was best because his name is synonymous in Denver more then anywhere else and he suddenly relocated to southern California. Since then he has continually been trying to put together a business partnership venture to purchase a team and move them or to indeed purchase the rights for an expansion team for Los Angeles.

So, yes... I would be concerned if Elway owned the controlling stock of the Broncos' Organization, I don't care so much if it's not the controlling portion, but I would question his purchase of controlling stock when his past actions seem to point to wanting to remain based in southern California. Look at Kroenke in St. Louis, the fans sort of feel the same way, after all he's let it be known more then a few times that he'd prefer to own a Colorado based NFL organization.

Lancane
08-20-2011, 01:49 PM
The Broncos won't move. The Saints owner tried to move and the outlash was so harsh that he shut that shit down.

In the modern day of t.v. licenses and revenue sharing, the standard "we aren't making enough money to stay here," thing is about dead.

Now if there's a spat over a stadium being built, that's a different story.

Again King, look at San Diego and Minnesota...Carol has the right of it, that it has to be approved by the NFL Owners, but to think any team is untouchable as I said before, especially in the wake of the current times is asinine.

chazoe60
08-20-2011, 01:53 PM
SD has a joke of a fanbase, even when they're good they have blackouts. SD also has serious stadium issues as does Minn. With Sports Authority Field at Mile High being a fairly new building I don't see the Broncos moving in our lifetime.

I just don't think you can compare the Dolts and The Vikings to us interms of franchise stability in anyway.

Poet
08-20-2011, 02:03 PM
Again King, look at San Diego and Minnesota...Carol has the right of it, that it has to be approved by the NFL Owners, but to think any team is untouchable as I said before, especially in the wake of the current times is asinine.

No, it's really not. Between the public backlash (which matters more than anyone will admit), needing the owners to vote on it and the fact that all the teams make profits, it's going to be hard for it to happen.

Can it happen?

Yes, no one will be shocked if a team with a shitty stadium moves because the city/county and owner/s can't come to an agreement.

The Broncos make money. They sell out their stadium. They're still a decent draw for other teams and their true franchise woes are only (in the eyes of most non-Denver fans) recent.

It's possible for them to move, but it's more likely that I will go on a salad binge and give up fried food.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-20-2011, 02:12 PM
IMO - If John would become the majority owner of the Broncos, he would never move them out of Denver.

Lancane
08-20-2011, 02:13 PM
SD has a joke of a fanbase, even when they're good they have blackouts. SD also has serious stadium issues as does Minn. With Sports Authority Field at Mile High being a fairly new building I don't see the Broncos moving in our lifetime.

I just don't think you can compare the Dolts and The Vikings to us interms of franchise stability in anyway.

Granted the Broncos' are more stable, but don't think for a moment that the NFL Owners are not aware that the organization has distanced itself with the fans by their own (admitted) mistakes, let alone that there is concern because questions have arisen within NFL circles as to whether or not Bowlen is capable fiscally to continue being an active owner of an NFL Franchise. As you said, the venue is too rich and I've said the same in many discussions. I don't think the Broncos will ever leave Denver (I hope not), but I also am not speculating the sale of the franchise to someone who has continually tried to establish a team in Los Angeles and wanted some ownership in that same given team. It was reported this off-season that Bowlen is hurting fiscally, that he doesn't have the money to spend and that could become an issue when teams are expected sooner rather then later to spend 99% of the cap yearly, right now we're 24 million under the cap and acting like a team that is balancing the limit. So it's possible that Bowlen will be forced to either add a partner or sell the majority stock outright in the near future.

I should add that I don't believe Elway has the capital gross to purchase the controlling stock so the whole damn conversation is sort of moot, I don't see the owners approving the sale to someone who gross intake is far less then Bowlen's own, we'd see another billionaire in all likeliness purchasing that controlling stock, someone who has billions already and can fiscally retain a team according to NFL standards.

Poet
08-20-2011, 02:15 PM
Lancane, the Rams were just bought by a group of investors who purchased majority share.

Elway could very much do that.

Lancane
08-20-2011, 02:18 PM
Lancane, the Rams were just bought by a group of investors who purchased majority share.

Elway could very much do that.

Well that is what he tried to do in Los Angeles, he didn't have the fiscal overture to be a single owner, I think few do anymore...unless Bill Gates or someone of that ilk was to purchase a team.

BroncoJoe
08-20-2011, 03:24 PM
I can't even believe we're seriously discussing this.

And, yes, my statement above stands.

Magnificent Seven
08-20-2011, 03:45 PM
I always want to buy one of Elway's trucks with his name logo on the gate. Perhaps, one day.

Agent of Orange
08-20-2011, 03:52 PM
Southern California has already lost at least 3 NFL franchises.

Lancane
08-20-2011, 04:10 PM
Southern California has already lost at least 3 NFL franchises.

I know they lost the Rams, but who else?

Lancane
08-20-2011, 04:12 PM
I can't even believe we're seriously discussing this.

And, yes, my statement above stands.

As you and I know, opinions vary...I just happen to believe differently then you. If John buys the team I hope my fears are totally unfounded and that he and whatever investors he partners with do right by the fans.

Agent of Orange
08-20-2011, 04:54 PM
I know they lost the Rams, but who else?

The Chargers started in LA. They stayed in Souther Cal but thats a team that LA has lost. Also, LA lost the Raiders.

Lancane
08-20-2011, 06:19 PM
The Chargers started in LA. They stayed in Souther Cal but thats a team that LA has lost. Also, LA lost the Raiders.

So basically Los Angeles is cursed to the point of obscurity. I knew the Rams moved and that the Raiders had been in L.A., did not remember the Chargers though I am not surprised by it.

:lol: