PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Orton, Broncos starters to play into second quarter vs. Buffalo Bills

Denver Native (Carol)
08-19-2011, 02:53 PM
Broncos starters will play into the second quarter, but likely not the whole first half, in Saturday's preseason game against Buffalo, coach John Fox said after today's walk-through practice.

"Exactly how far, I don't know yet. Depends on how the game goes," Fox said.

The starters played only one series each on offense and defense last week at Dallas.

rest of article - http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_18717480?source=rss

Nomad
08-19-2011, 02:57 PM
Dareus is excited!

BroncoStud
08-19-2011, 02:58 PM
Well, at least we know that part of the 2nd quarter and the 2nd half might be exciting on offense! Goooo Broncos! :defense:

CoachChaz
08-19-2011, 02:59 PM
Dareus is excited!

As is Miller

shank
08-19-2011, 03:00 PM
good, i'm in need of a good nap.

Nomad
08-19-2011, 03:01 PM
As is Miller

Miller's not rushing Orton, I'm sure he wishes he was!!;)

I'm looking forward to seeing the :defense:, hopefully they'll be more exciting than Orton!

Denver Native (Carol)
08-19-2011, 03:35 PM
This article contains different things than the DP article:

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The search for clarification in the scrum for position on the quarterback depth chart behind Kyle Orton will have to wait a day.

Broncos coach John Fox declined to name the No. 2 quarterback for Saturday’s preseason home opener against the Buffalo Bills, leaving it a matter of public debate whether Tim Tebow or Brady Quinn will take over the offense when the first team vacates the field at some point in the second quarter.

“From a competitive standpoint, we’ll talk about that after the game, not before the game,” Fox said.

rest of article - http://www.maxdenver.com/news/2011/08/19/fox-game-time-decision-on-no-2-qb/

chazoe60
08-19-2011, 03:43 PM
Don't take this the wrong way because I really like Fox, but I am really sick of Bronco HCs yanking our chains. I am sick of being lied to by the folks in charge of this football team.

Earlier this week Fox said no decision has been made on who the starting QB will be, yet no one but Orton has, as far as I can tell, ever taken any meaningful amount of snaps with the first team.

Fox came out in the offseason and claimed he wanted a "gamer" and not a "practice player" yet when Tebow goes 6-7 for almost 100 yards and a QBR of 118 (granted it wasn't pretty to watch) and Quinn plays well and leads us to our only TD drives while Orton goes 2-6 calls 3 audibles out of running plays and fails to score a TD from the 1 yard line the quote we get from Fox, which was crap BTW, is "Orton looks sharp, Tebow is a work in progress and Oh yeah Quinn did good too."

What the Hell?

nevcraw
08-19-2011, 03:47 PM
Miller's not rushing Orton, I'm sure he wishes he was!!;)

I'm looking forward to seeing the :defense:, hopefully they'll be more exciting than Orton!

It's not really "rushing" when you can get to a quarterback that slow with a half trot.

Mike
08-19-2011, 03:49 PM
Don't take this the wrong way because I really like Fox, but I am really sick of Bronco HCs yanking our chains. I am sick of being lied to by the folks in charge of this football team.

Earlier this week Fox said no decision has been made on who the starting QB will be, yet no one but Orton has, as far as I can tell, ever taken any meaningful amount of snaps with the first team.

Fox came out in the offseason and claimed he wanted a "gamer" and not a "practice player" yet when Orton goes 6-7 for almost 100 yards and a QBR of 118 (granted it wasn't pretty to watch) and Quinn plays well and leads us to our only TD drives while Orton goes 2-6 calls 3 audibles out of running plays and fails to score a TD from the 1 yard line the quote we get from Fox, which was crap BTW, is "Orton looks sharp, Tebow is a work in progress and Oh yeah Quinn did good too."

What the Hell?

He just can't quit mediocre QBs. Good thing he has his choices here in Denver. :laugh: :Cry:

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-19-2011, 05:16 PM
Dareus is excited!

That's kind of scary, actually. I think he'll be motivated to play us. Atleast he doesn't line up across from Franklin. Walton better be on his game.

JakeNbake
08-19-2011, 05:19 PM
That's kind of scary, actually. I think he'll be motivated to play us. Atleast he doesn't line up across from Franklin. Walton better be on his game.

Walton did a great job against SUH in college. He should be able to handle that hack Dareus.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-19-2011, 05:21 PM
Walton did a great job against SUH in college. He should be able to handle that hack Dareus.

Yeah, I know....what a bum. :lol:

JakeNbake
08-19-2011, 05:22 PM
Yeah, I know....what a bum. :lol:

How come the high five is a picture of a thumbs up?

Canmore
08-19-2011, 05:22 PM

I know JD Walton was a rookie last year, flanked by another rookie at an awful tough position for a offensive lineman, but I'm not sold on him. He did improve in the latter half of the season, but he doesn't move people the way I would like to see. We'll see how he plays this year with a whole season and off-season under his belt. He's another who I think will be affected by the lack of an organized off-season.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-19-2011, 05:24 PM
How come the high five is a picture of a thumbs up?

That's a high five? It looks like a backhand. I've been giving people high fives this whole time?:laugh:

Northman
08-19-2011, 05:25 PM
Apparently according Espin Fox is making the starter a game-time decision.

JakeNbake
Winner winner chicken thumb/high five.

CoachChaz
Last time I checked...the success of a pass rush had more to do with the quality of the opposing o-line than the slugishness of a QB. Must have been a dream, I guess. Im sure Doom and Miller are scared shitless of Erik Pears

Either way...id rather have our QB problem than Buffalo's

F Dareus

JakeNbake
08-19-2011, 05:26 PM

Apparently the breasts in your avatar are very alluring.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-19-2011, 05:26 PM

Yeah, sure he is.....

Northman
08-19-2011, 05:27 PM
Apparently the breasts in your avatar are very alluring.

You think?

JakeNbake
08-19-2011, 05:27 PM
AND THE STARTER is.... KYLE ORTON!...

AND THE CROWD GOES WILD EHHHHHH HEEEEEEEEEEE AHHHHHHHH

Dzone
08-19-2011, 05:34 PM
I have heard that Dareus is so athletic that Buffalo is moving him all over and even have him at OLB at times...He came to camp at 333 pounds , in shape and quick as a cat. Holy crap...
geezo, please dont turn out to be another bronco draft mistake...

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-19-2011, 05:36 PM
AND THE STARTER is.... KYLE ORTON!...

AND THE CROWD GOES WILD EHHHHHH HEEEEEEEEEEE AHHHHHHHH

You must be havin' A FEW people over Jake..?:D

Dzone
08-19-2011, 05:47 PM
I think the Bills have new Unis this year...thats exciting!!!

Are we going Orange jerseys saturday?

JakeNbake
08-19-2011, 05:49 PM
You must be havin' A FEW people over Jake..?:D

Yeah... just me and me. But we love us some Kyle Orton so we'll be cheering loudly.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-19-2011, 06:49 PM
Yeah... just me and me. But we love us some Kyle Orton so we'll be cheering loudly.

You're a good sport bro.:beer:

Reidman
08-19-2011, 06:51 PM
The starters in last nights games played the entire first half if I'm not mistaken. Well, except for Brady who just decided to get his 100yds and 2 TD's in the first qtr...

bcbronc
08-19-2011, 06:53 PM

Fox came out in the offseason and claimed he wanted a "gamer" and not a "practice player" yet when Tebow goes 6-7 for almost 100 yards and a QBR of 118 (granted it wasn't pretty to watch) and Quinn plays well and leads us to our only TD drives while Orton goes 2-6 calls 3 audibles out of running plays and fails to score a TD from the 1 yard line the quote we get from Fox, which was crap BTW, is "Orton looks sharp, Tebow is a work in progress and Oh yeah Quinn did good too."

What the Hell?

I'm not sure that putting up field goals (including on a drive that starts at the opponents 7) and boosting you comp% with 4 yrad slants on 3rd and 9 is quite what Fox had in mind when he said he wanted a gamer.

I'm more interested in seeing how our run D and O look over a quarter and a half.

chazoe60
08-19-2011, 06:57 PM
I'm not sure that putting up field goals (including on a drive that starts at the opponents 7) and boosting you comp% with 4 yrad slants on 3rd and 9 is quite what Fox had in mind when he said he wanted a gamer.

I'm more interested in seeing how our run D and O look over a quarter and a half.

But audibleing to three straight pass attempts and failing to score from the one while going 2-6 is looking "sharp"?

Dzone
08-19-2011, 07:45 PM
At least we know Colquit will get some good work for the first quarter and a half

Canmore
08-19-2011, 07:49 PM
At least we know Colquit will get some good work for the first quarter and a half

Brutal! :laugh:

Dzone
08-19-2011, 07:52 PM
^I so hope Im wrong

broncobryce
08-19-2011, 07:54 PM
Maybe dareus will still be mad and snap orty's leg.

I keed! I keed!

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

broncobryce
08-19-2011, 08:03 PM
But audibleing to three straight pass attempts and failing to score from the one while going 2-6 is looking "sharp"?

I think by "gamer" fox means going into the fetal position at the first smell of any sort of pass rush.

bcbronc
08-19-2011, 08:05 PM

Has there been confirmation from a coach or Orton that he audibled out of running plays, or just speculation from fans and commentators?

Either way, that's a distraction. Tebow is the guy that needs to show he can take his play to another level vs real bullets and he couldn't get the ball into the endzone vs Dallasks second stringers. :shrugs:

Northman
08-19-2011, 08:07 PM
Has there been confirmation from a coach

I do believe it was verified by the team that Orton audibled out of the run play on 1st and goal for the fade.

chazoe60
08-19-2011, 08:07 PM
Has there been confirmation from a coach or Orton that he audibled out of running plays, or just speculation from fans and commentators?

Either way, that's a distraction. Tebow is the guy that needs to show he can take his play to another level vs real bullets and he couldn't get the ball into the endzone vs Dallasks second stringers. :shrugs:

There was confirmation from Zane Beadles during a radio interview earlier in the week.

broncobryce
08-19-2011, 08:14 PM

He did, but there was a bullshit holding call. Still, he moved the ball, when denver couldn't run for shit. When orty was in they ran with ease.

bcbronc
08-19-2011, 08:39 PM
I do believe it was verified by the team that Orton audibled out of the run play on 1st and goal for the fade.

There was confirmation from Zane Beadles during a radio interview earlier in the week.

thanks. just the first down, or all three plays?

He did, but there was a bullshit holding call. Still, he moved the ball, when denver couldn't run for shit. When orty was in they ran with ease.

no, that hold was pretty much a text book example, stop being a fanboi. And without the hold, Tebow wouldn't have got out of the backfield.

broncobryce
08-19-2011, 08:52 PM

no, that hold was pretty much a text book example, stop being a fanboi. And without the hold, Tebow wouldn't have got out of the backfield.

So it's a text book hold when an offensive linemen keeps his hands inside?

Canmore
08-19-2011, 08:59 PM
So it's a text book hold when an offensive linemen keeps his hands inside?

I think the handful of jersey was pretty self explanatory.

broncobryce
08-19-2011, 09:09 PM
I think the handful of jersey was pretty self explanatory.

Wrong. Linemen grab jerseys all the time. As long as they keep their hands inside it's usually not called.

Canmore
08-19-2011, 09:13 PM
Wrong. Linemen grab jerseys all the time. As long as they keep their hands inside it's usually not called.

When the defensive lineman is running away from you and you still have his jersey it's holding.

chazoe60
08-19-2011, 09:16 PM

According to Beadles it was three plays.

broncobryce
08-19-2011, 09:24 PM
When the defensive lineman is running away from you and you still have his jersey it's holding.

That's not the way I saw it, but I'll admit I'm biased for the broncos. Still, I thought Tebow moved the ball well for the most part since Denver couldn't run the ball for crap.

Canmore
08-19-2011, 09:29 PM
That's not the way I saw it, but I'll admit I'm biased for the broncos. Still, I thought Tebow moved the ball well for the most part since Denver couldn't run the ball for crap.

Lol. If the play we are talking about is the one I remember, it was holding. I don't rewatch the pre-season games with away commentators, too annoying. So I can't say for certain of the play. Still, there was a definite hold with Tebow in there. :laugh:

bcbronc
08-19-2011, 09:34 PM
According to Beadles it was three plays.

I guess we should admire his bravado then? :lol:

Would be nice to hear what Fox or McCoy thought of it. Fox saying Orton looked sharp suggests something about the defensive formation made the audibles the right call. Still, if in the egular season Orton audibles out of three running plays from the one after running the ball down the field, he better show more than throwing the ball away on third down.

Canmore
08-19-2011, 09:35 PM

Would be nice to hear what Fox or McCoy thought of it. Fox saying Orton looked sharp suggests something about the defensive formation made the audibles the right call. Still, if in the egular season Orton audibles out of three running plays from the one after running the ball down the field, he better show more than throwing the ball away on third down.

Amen!

Northman
08-19-2011, 09:52 PM

Either that or trying to inflate his stats. The team was running at will before his audibles at the goalline. I mean, Peyton Manning he is not. :lol:

TXBRONC
08-19-2011, 10:48 PM
I have heard that Dareus is so athletic that Buffalo is moving him all over and even have him at OLB at times...He came to camp at 333 pounds , in shape and quick as a cat. Holy crap...
geezo, please dont turn out to be another bronco draft mistake...

If Von Miller develops into a great player it will be a wash imo.

TXBRONC
08-19-2011, 10:56 PM

I knew Orton had audibled to the pass on first down because Lloyd said that's what happened. I didn't know that he audibled on 2nd and 3rd down as well.

BroncoStud
08-20-2011, 12:57 AM
I'm watching the replay of the Dolphins/Panthers game and 2 things stand out to me as it gets closer to half time...

1.) Chad Henne has a MUCH stronger arm than Kyle Orton, it isn't even close and I don't blame the Dolphins if they didn't offer up a 2nd rounder, Henne, with all his flaws, has more upside than Orton. I just don't see how Orton upgrades that team enough to justify a 2nd round pick.

2.) Cam Newton is extremely inaccurate on his intermediate throws. He doesn't look much like an NFL QB yet, let alone the #1 overall player in the draft. Carolina has to be concerned about what they're seeing thus far.