PDA

View Full Version : Roderick Rogers waived

Denver Native (Carol)
11-25-2008, 06:00 PM
email from Mania

The Broncos on Tuesday waived safety Roderick Rogers, Head Coach Mike Shanahan announced.

Rogers, a second-year player from the University of Wisconsin, saw time in Denver’s last three games, including a start and posted six tackles on defense along with two special-teams stops. He spent the first nine weeks of the season on the Broncos’ practice squad before he was signed to their active roster on Nov. 4.

G_Money
11-25-2008, 06:01 PM
So can I see Barrett at safety now?

Thanks for not putting him in versus the no-throw Raiders, btw. Nothing like Brett Favre for his first game action.

Aw who am I kidding, it'll be Lowry again... :rolleyes:

~G

Buff
11-25-2008, 06:40 PM
I figured this was coming when Shanahan called Rogers out for playing bad in his press conference yesterday...

One thing about Shanahan-- that guy can sugarcoat anything. Normally he's the first to go to bat for a player, even when they've struggled. So when he comes right out and rips a player, you can be pretty sure that said player is going to get his walking papers in the near future.

Grover
11-25-2008, 06:44 PM
On what he (Shanahan) is looking for in a safety

"We are looking for a difference maker at the safety position. Someone who can run, support the run and also cover the pass. Those guys are hard to find, but we will keep on giving people opportunities until we find someone who steps up and takes advantage of it."

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=8602

Well, from the above quote by Shanahan, he apparently knows what he's wanting, and he's willing to plug people in until he finds someone that has a clue. (and cut them when they don't)

Buff
11-25-2008, 06:50 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=8602

Well, from the above quote by Shanahan, he apparently knows what he's wanting, and he's willing to plug people in until he finds someone that has a clue. (and cut them when they don't)

Well, with all due respect to Shanny, any of us could have told you what we want in a safety-- A guy who hits like Atwater and runs like Polamalu... Where was his list of requirements in the off-season when everyone was signing quality safeties? Now our starting safety is now an announcer for FOX and we're up shit creek without a paddle.

Requiem / The Dagda
11-25-2008, 06:56 PM
Draft a safety. This year has tons. Do it.

Grover
11-25-2008, 06:57 PM
What I want in a safety is for Dennis Smith to be 25 years younger.

G_Money
11-25-2008, 07:02 PM
Barrett is as fast as Polamalu (4.34 to 4.38). He's as big as Atwater (6'2, 220 vs 6'3, 220).

The guy's been sitting on the roster the whole damn year. Can he PLAY? I don't know. He played great his junior year of college when he was healthy. He looked like a 2nd round pick then.

Can we get him to hit? If he stays healthy, maybe he'll commit to hitting people again. That shoulder injury dissuaded him from laying a lot of lumber his first two years of college and he'll have to break that habit.

Can he cover? Well, he can run WITH anybody, unlike our current safeties. We'll see if he can be taught how to utilize that speed.

But he's a Frankenstein creation just waiting for someone to breathe life into him. if Slowik only does one thing right this year I'd hope it would be using the one thing people say he DOES do well - coaching up the secondary - and apply it to the kid.

But first he has to get on the damn field. No more Lowry. No Rogers. No Jack Williams at safety.

Play Barrett. Worst thing that happens is he's almost as bad at it as Lowry is.

Live with it.

~G

spikerman
11-25-2008, 07:11 PM
My guess is that this is the first step to resigning him to the practice squad.

Buff
11-25-2008, 07:14 PM
Barrett is as fast as Polamalu (4.34 to 4.38). He's as big as Atwater (6'2, 220 vs 6'3, 220).

The guy's been sitting on the roster the whole damn year. Can he PLAY? I don't know. He played great his junior year of college when he was healthy. He looked like a 2nd round pick then.

Can we get him to hit? If he stays healthy, maybe he'll commit to hitting people again. That shoulder injury dissuaded him from laying a lot of lumber his first two years of college and he'll have to break that habit.

Can he cover? Well, he can run WITH anybody, unlike our current safeties. We'll see if he can be taught how to utilize that speed.

But he's a Frankenstein creation just waiting for someone to breathe life into him. if Slowik only does one thing right this year I'd hope it would be using the one thing people say he DOES do well - coaching up the secondary - and apply it to the kid.

But first he has to get on the damn field. No more Lowry. No Rogers. No Jack Williams at safety.

Play Barrett. Worst thing that happens is he's almost as bad at it as Lowry is.

Live with it.

~G

I think the coaches have come to the same conclusion. I think, for whatever reason, they thought they had something in Rogers... Or they thought he was more ready than Barrett... Which is alarming in some regards-- If we've had Barrett at our disposal this entire year and he couldn't get on the field yet with the safety play as bad as it's been-- that doesn't say a whole lot for him.... But at least the coach's have acknowledged that something has to change-- and I think they've run out of other shit to throw at the wall at this point... So, ready or not, here Barrett comes.

G_Money
11-25-2008, 07:19 PM
I hate to say it, but thank God we're out of other options.

Now maybe Barrett can see the field, and *gasp* out-do a veteran.

Like Clady, and Harris, and Royal, and Hillis, and Woodyard, and Larsen.

Bring it on, Barrett - be lucky number seven. Although I guess Torain was lucky #7, and his luck ran out.

So be lucky number eight then, Josh.

~G

Requiem / The Dagda
11-25-2008, 07:20 PM
How ironic would it be if Shanahan doesn't draft a safety?

Lonestar
11-25-2008, 07:23 PM
lets see he is ready to fire the kids after making 5-6 tackles but keeps Lowry on the squad when he could not make a tackle?

Mikey at his best..

G_Money
11-25-2008, 07:29 PM

It's been pretty ironic the last couple years. At MLB too.

At least this year our other draftpicks are looking pretty good.

From '07, our blown DL draft, I'd still love to have Beason or Harris in the middle and Nelson, Merriweather or Jackson at safety. The players were there.

They should be there again. Let's hope we don't whiff.

~G

fcspikeit
11-25-2008, 08:30 PM
I think the coaches have come to the same conclusion. I think, for whatever reason, they thought they had something in Rogers... Or they thought he was more ready than Barrett... Which is alarming in some regards-- If we've had Barrett at our disposal this entire year and he couldn't get on the field yet with the safety play as bad as it's been-- that doesn't say a whole lot for him.... But at least the coach's have acknowledged that something has to change-- and I think they've run out of other shit to throw at the wall at this point... So, ready or not, here Barrett comes.

The same thing could have been said about Hillis, Larson and Woodyard...

Why aren't the coaches seeing the talent they have? They have all out played the starters, not once but time and time again. (*EDIT* Except for DJ)

That says a lot more about the coach's then most here want to hear..

red98
11-25-2008, 08:38 PM
The same thing could have been said about Hillis, Larson and Woodyard...

Why aren't the coaches seeing the talent they have? They have all out played the starters, not once but time and time again.

That says a lot more about the coach's then most here want to hear..

I see your point but Woodyard, while doing well, in no way is outplaying DJ.

fcspikeit
11-25-2008, 08:42 PM
It's been pretty ironic the last couple years. At MLB too.

At least this year our other draftpicks are looking pretty good.

From '07, our blown DL draft, I'd still love to have Beason or Harris in the middle and Nelson, Merriweather or Jackson at safety. The players were there.

They should be there again. Let's hope we don't whiff.

~G

The thing is G,

What would you call a whiff? At this point we have to land an Ed Read for it to even show up on the field. In other wards, It's superstar or bust.

Even then, we have the best CB playing the game today on our team, yet every week we make the opposing QB look like a HOF.

From Shannys draft record it's pretty clear the importance he puts on DL and S. If their skill set is not that important to his defensive ideas, How would you even know what to look for in a S? Are they going to be playing Run, Pass, zone, Man? If you were going to pick us a S, wouldn't you need to know the role they were going to play on this team?

For instance, we have LB's covering WR's more then any team I have ever seen. If your looking to find a LB who can cover a WR, you'll be looking a long time. Or maybe we could just put an extra corner on the field :shocked:

fcspikeit
11-25-2008, 08:47 PM
I see your point but Woodyard, while doing well, in no way is outplaying DJ.

Your right, But with the talent he has shown, there has to be some way to get him on the field. If we can't find a place for him, then can our D talent really be as bad as people believe it to be?

red98
11-25-2008, 09:13 PM
Your right, But with the talent he has shown, there has to be some way to get him on the field. If we can't find a place for him, then can our D talent really be as bad as people believe it to be?

I'm hoping he does find a place. Dude's a baller.

But right now it looks like his best spot is Will. Can he play safety? I don't know.

I am actually pretty happy that so many rookies have found their way into playing time. That hasn't been Shanny's way in the past from what I remember.

Lonestar
11-25-2008, 09:32 PM

But right now it looks like his best spot is Will. Can he play safety? I don't know.

I am actually pretty happy that so many rookies have found their way into playing time. That hasn't been Shanny's way in the past from what I remember.

we have not had as many lousy "starters" get hurt either

fcspikeit
11-25-2008, 09:39 PM

Winborn has looked good too. IMO that would be a toss up, If we can't get him on the field at the LB position, I don't see how he could be any worse then Lowry or Manual. Seriously, they suck! Even if he got outrun, they get outrun. At least he could tackle.

red98
11-25-2008, 09:41 PM
we have not had as many lousy "starters" get hurt either

Yeah, that accounts for some of it. But then there is also Royal, Clady, Hillis (fb).

Lonestar
11-25-2008, 10:08 PM
Yeah, that accounts for some of it. But then there is also Royal, Clady, Hillis (fb).

Hillis was rarely on the field even as a FB..

Clady and Royale are legit suds but looking at Woodyard and Larson (who was the FB) one could argue they should have been starting, well not Over DJ, but the could have found a spot for Woodyard if they would have opened their eyes before having to.. Due to injuries..

red98
11-25-2008, 10:17 PM
Hillis was rarely on the field even as a FB..

Clady and Royale are legit suds but looking at Woodyard and Larson (who was the FB) one could argue they should have been starting, well not Over DJ, but the could have found a spot for Woodyard if they would have opened their eyes before having to.. Due to injuries..

(Hillis started the first 2 games at fb I think)

Can't argue that, maybe not before the season began, but
after a few games Larson's ST play shoould have got him a look.
All the players I mentioned are on "O" so maybe that's it.

It was a draft filled with potential and I think maybe some of those rookies on "D" should have got a chance sooner. It's the only way to see what you've got. We weren't expected to do well on "D" this year so there was nothing to lose.

dogfish
11-25-2008, 10:50 PM
Draft two safeties. This year has tons. Do it.

fixed

slim
11-25-2008, 10:52 PM

Ironic or moronic?

Requiem / The Dagda
11-25-2008, 11:03 PM
From Williamson's article on ESPN.

"Expect Denver to seriously consider USC safety Taylor Mays with its first-round pick next spring."

Well. . . good job at naming a highly touted player, Bill. I'm sure we like him. . . but hmm. Awfully bold, Bill.

Buff
11-25-2008, 11:10 PM

"Expect Denver to seriously consider USC safety Taylor Mays with its first-round pick next spring."

Well. . . good job at naming a highly touted player, Bill. I'm sure we like him. . . but hmm. Awfully bold, Bill.

I actually give him credit for looking up a name... Normally he'd just say something like "The Broncos might take a safety in next year's draft." The guy is the master of stating the obvious.

dogfish
11-25-2008, 11:13 PM

don't spit on good news-- i'd give buff's firstborn for the broncos to draft mays. . . .

Buff
11-25-2008, 11:24 PM
don't spit on good news-- i'd give buff's firstborn for the broncos to draft mays. . . .

I'll have to see a little more film, but after last week, I'm open to taking one for the team.

tubby
11-26-2008, 12:27 AM
who?

Denver Native (Carol)
11-26-2008, 09:52 AM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/nov/25/broncos-release-safety-rogers-clear-spot-fullback/

Broncos release safety Rogers to clear spot for fullback

The Broncos waived safety Roderick Rogers Tuesday clearing the roster spot needed to sign veteran fullback Andrew Pinnock.

As of the close of the business day at the league offices in New York the Broncos had not reported the signing Tuesday afternoon, but Pinnock was scheduled to receive a physical to check his surgically repaired knee. It was the second physical the Broncos had given Pinnock in recent weeks and they also worked him out earlier this month.

He had microfracture surgery in February and was released by the San Diego Chargers at the end of training camp. Rogers had made his first career start in Sunday's 31-10 loss to the Raiders. Monday Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said Rogers, who was the third player in the last five games to start at free safety, "did not play as good as I hoped he would.''

Shanahan said Monday he was still looking for someone to fill his job description at the position.

"Just a difference maker, a difference maker at the safety position. Support the run, also cover the pass. Those guys are hard to find. We'll keep on giving people opportunities until one of them steps up and takes advantage.''

Shanahan said Marlon McCree, who will likely be the starter when he's ready to play, is still a couple weeks away from returning from his left ankle injury. He has not practiced since suffering the injury late in the Nov. 2 loss to the Dolphins.